PDA

View Full Version : THE 2007 WAIVER WIRE THREAD

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 08:45 AM
FEEL FREE TO POST ANY INTERESTING CUTS THAT YOU FEEL GB SHOULD CONSIDER

LAST YEAR GB got the following players off waivers that are still on the team:

-CARLYLE HOLIDAY - WR Depth
-SHAUN BODIFORD - Special Team returner
-JARRETT BUSH - In the hunt for the 3rd CB spot.
-CHARLIE PEPRAH - Hunt for backup SS.
-TONY PALMER - Offensive line depth. Good chance he's cut

No stars, but helped depth. Depending on who gets cut, and what our needs are (RB/TE), some good pickups could be made.

Hopefully we get more players who can contribute

Him8123
09-01-2007, 08:46 AM
I think they should get that selvin young kid from denver this year.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 08:47 AM
If TT signs free agents cut by another team, can I get rid of my sig :lol:

On another note, Toefield from the Jags and Mike Bell from the Broncos might be interesting. Heck, we could replace several RB's from other teams junk cuts

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 08:48 AM

Is he the RB ?

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 08:51 AM

Is he the RB ?

Yeah, but the's probably going to stick with the Broncos. Mike Bell might be available, though.

Packnut
09-01-2007, 08:54 AM
It's kinda funny how teams are gonna cut RB's who are better than what we have- and kinda sad..........

MadtownPacker
09-01-2007, 08:57 AM

Is he the RB ?

Yeah, but the's probably going to stick with the Broncos. Mike Bell might be available, though.What the hell, Ill take Bell! RB is seriously got me tripping. Sign someone, anyone as long as they are breathing.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 08:58 AM
It's kinda funny how teams are gonna cut RB's who are better than what we have- and kinda sad..........

IMO we could pick up 2-3 RB's. I'm on board with B Jackson and we should keep V Morency. I'm OK with the rookie.

But Miree, Herron, and whoever else we consider
We can find do better with the castaway's IMO

Rastak
09-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Vikings lost 7th round pick Tyler Thigpen to the Cheifs.....BOOOOOOO....
should have kept him over Bollinger. They did pick up a TE from the Patriots....scouts.com article follows.....

The Vikings may have lost a player they wanted to keep in quarterback Tyler Thigpen, who was claimed by the Kansas City Chiefs, but they snagged a promising prospect in Garrett Mills on Sunday.

Mills was originally a fourth-round pick by the Patriots last season did not play and finished the season on injured reserve with a thigh injury. Bill Belichick was hoping to sneak Mills through waivers to keep him on the practice squad, but the Vikings foiled their plans in claiming him.

In fact, Belichick even reportedly called Vikings coach Brad Childress to try and talk him out of claiming Mills, but to no avail.

Mills is a very versatile player and a very nice fit for the Vikings West Coast Offense. He will take some time to become acclimated to a new system but has good long-range potential in this system.

Guiness
09-02-2007, 03:11 PM
I haven't seen a list of Denver cuts anywhere - did M Bell stick, or not?

I'm surprised we didn't offer the 7th for him instead of the Giants RB. You have to think they would've taken it, but maybe TT likes the other guy better.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 03:15 PM

I'm surprised we didn't offer the 7th for him instead of the Giants RB. You have to think they would've taken it, but maybe TT likes the other guy better.

I think he did.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 06:29 PM
This is kinda funny......from Minneapolis Pravda.....

« Roster breakdown

Childress defeats Belichick/Thigpen claimed by Kansas City
September 2nd, 2007 – 11:16 AM by Kevin Seifert
The Vikings were awarded former New England TE Garrett Mills today on waivers, according to a report in the Boston Globe.

Mills was a fourth-round draft pick last year but was placed on injured reserve midway through the season. The Patriots wanted to put him on their practice squad so badly that coach Bill Belichick called Vikings coach Brad Childress this morning about him. As Childress recounted during an appearance on WCCO-AM’s Softballs with Sid, Belichick apparently was suggesting he would claim a Vikings castoff if the Vikings did not back off of his player.

According to Childress, Belichick said: “Is there any way that you don’t take our guy and we don’t take your guy?”

Childress said he replied: “Well, I’m really interested in your guy. We’ll have to let our guy slide.”

“He didn’t really care for that,” Childress said. “He was trying to leverage. You always find out who is honest and straightforward.”

UPDATE: Belichick wasn’t lying. The Patriots were the team that claimed LB David Herron, whom the Vikings liked as a special teams guy and hoped to stash on the practice squad.

UPDATE II: Meanwhile, the Vikings were unable to sneak QB Tyler Thigpen through waivers and onto the practice squad. The Kansas City Chiefs were awarded him this morning, according to agent Joel Turner.

This is an unexpected blow because the Vikings heavily scouted Thigpen before the draft and wanted him to be the No. 3 quarterback. But the decision to trade for Kelly Holcomb, and to keep Brooks Bollinger as the No. 3, necessitated Thigpen’s move to the practice squad.

Earlier this morning, Childress acknowledged Philadelphia was poking around Thigpen as well. Childress said if the Vikings lost Thigpen: “I’d be sick.”

UPDATE III: The Vikings can begin putting together their nine-man practice squad (they have an exemption for Seppo Evwaraye) today. Here’s what we know so far, as recently confirmed by the team:

DT Conrad Bolston

OL Seppo Evwaraye

CB Chad Johnson

WR Martin Nance

UPDATE IV: The Giants have claimed cornerback Dovonte Edwards off waivers. Edwards is expected to get an opportunity to compete for the nickel job in New York.

– Safety Greg Blue was not claimed on waivers, meaning he is now free to negotiate with any team. Blue will land somewhere as a backup safety and a special teams guy.

– Defensive end Khreem Smith, released by the Vikings on Saturday, has been signed to Kansas City’s practice squad. Obviously, the Chiefs were doing some scouting during the two practices against the Vikings last month.

– Although there have been reports that the Eagles released defensive tackle Ian Scott, that is not the case. Scott is going on injured reserve and remains Philadelphia’s property. The Vikings took a look at Scott during the offseason.

– The Vikings released OG Brian Daniels to make room for Mills on the roster.

FritzDontBlitz
09-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Is he the RB ?

Yeah, but the's probably going to stick with the Broncos. Mike Bell might be available, though.What the hell, Ill take Bell! RB is seriously got me tripping. Sign someone, anyone as long as they are breathing.

i just looked at the broncos official site. apparently they kept ALL FIVE of their running backs: travis henry, cecil sapp, mike bell, andre hall and selvin young. they have young as their 5th best back, but he looks faster and stronger than anything i've seen the pack put on the field so far.

hopefully one of those 5 guys will be hittin the bricks soon.

i would love to have young, i hope tt is watchin him too...

Rastak
09-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Is he the RB ?

i just looked at the broncos official site. apparently they kept ALL FIVE of their running backs: travis henry, cecil sapp, mike bell, andre hall and selvin young. they have young as their 5th best back, but he looks faster and stronger than anything i've seen the pack put on the field so far.

hopefully one of those 5 guys will be hittin the bricks soon.

i would love to have young, i hope tt is watchin him too...

Fantasy football shows I have seen have him as #2.
(Selvin that is)

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Donovin Darius was cut by the Raiders.

Guiness
09-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Patriots just cut Caldwell - I think he's the first 'name' receiver to go. He's a vetran though, so I think he becomes an FA, as opposed to going on the wire.

Wouldn't want him. He had the dropsies in NE. If he can't hold onto the passes from that guy they have at QB, how the hell is he going to catch a Favre fastball?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2007/09/03/patriots-caldwell.html

Rastak
09-03-2007, 04:46 PM
From PFT.com

http://www.profootballtalk.com/RecheSurprised.jpg

Joemailman
09-03-2007, 06:33 PM

I think he did.

I've read they want Bell to play FB. If he balks at the idea, he could still be available.