PDA

View Full Version : wow! Pats thinking about cutting Moss?

jramsey495
09-01-2007, 09:40 AM
i know opinions about PFT are all over the place, and this is one of the most out-there things i've seen on the site, but if this has a hint of truth it's pretty crazy...

MOSS ON THE BUBBLE?

There's talk among some league insiders that the New England Patriots are considering whether to release receiver Randy Moss.

Seriously.

We scoffed when we heard it, but then a source explained that the question the Pats are believed to be pondering is whether Moss will become a problem if he is not a focal point of the offense -- or if he isn't in the opening-day starting lineup.

And we agree that this sounds crazy. Exactly as crazy as, say, any rumors that would have been making the rounds on Friday morning that the Jaguars were planning to part ways with Byron Leftwich.

Moss currently is listed as one of the starters at receiver, along with Donte' Stallworth. But Moss suffered a pulled hamstring several weeks ago and has seen only limited duty since then, opening the door for other wideouts to show what they can do.

If this rumor is true, the only logical explanation is that the Pats are wrestling with whether Moss is a luxury that they don't need in order to be successful -- and whether his presence could actually keep them from their goals if he is unhappy with his role.

As we see it, however, it would be easy enough to dump him if he turns out to be a problem. The only financial risk would be his $2.5 million base salary, which becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster when the regular season begins (if he is released and chooses to take the rest of the money as his one-time termination pay).

Then again, maybe coach Bill Belichick doesn't want to divert his attention from getting the team ready to play by monitoring whether a grown man is behaving like one.

The situation bears watching as Saturday unfolds. Even if Moss stays, there's sure to be plenty of upheaval at the receiver position as final cuts are made, given that ten receivers are still on the roster, including Moss, Stallworth, Wes Welker, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington, Bam Childress, Kelvin Kight, Chris Dunlap, and C.J. Jones. (Chad Jackson and Troy Brown are still on the PUP list.)

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 09:43 AM
i'll believe it when i see it.

PackerBlues
09-01-2007, 09:51 AM
We all know that smart coaches will "water down" their playbook in the pre-season so as not to give opposing teams as much to plan against when the regular season starts. Belicheck may be the best head coach in the game right now, and I was assuming, that the reason nobody was seeing Moss in the preseason, was because the Pats were going to make him the star of their Offense.

Perhaps I was wrong, wouldnt be the first time. So if the Pats do cut Moss, after hearing Thompson say that he thought that he had a deal in place for Moss before he went to NE, will Thompson go after him?

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 09:55 AM
will Thompson go after him?

At this point, I hope not. I was all for him on draft day, but seeing his performance, or lack thereof, in training camp, we're better off without him. It's becoming apparent to me that he doesn't have it anymore. I'm much happier with Jennings and Jones.

MJZiggy
09-01-2007, 09:57 AM
i know opinions about PFT are all over the place, and this is one of the most out-there things i've seen on the site, but if this has a hint of truth it's pretty crazy...

MOSS ON THE BUBBLE?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

PackerBlues
09-01-2007, 09:59 AM
I was also excited to hear that the texans cut Keenan McCardell, ..... until I noticed that the guy is 37 years old, lol.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I was disappointed that we didn't offer more for Moss (a 3rd round pick) and maybe more money than NE (maybe a million more) but in the end it looks like it might have worked out OK with James Jones and an extra couple mil.

PackerBlues
09-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I miss having a WR besides Donald that you can count on to come down with the long ball. If Moss could pass the physical, I wouldn't mind having him come to GB for a year or two.

Again, our rookie recievers are a talented group with lots of potential, I do not think it would hurt them a bit to rotate around Driver, Jennings, and another Veteran WR. I have simply seen to many bad routes from these young guys to feel comfortable with them going into the season. Donald Driver waited a long time for his chance to start, I do not see any reason to rush these young guys into the line up.

oregonpackfan
09-01-2007, 10:50 AM
As many of you know, I strongly opposed the Packers going after Randy Moss.

If Belicheck cuts or rarely uses Moss in his offense, it would not surprise me.

MadtownPacker
09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I was heavily in favor of getting moss but now I say pass. I hope that the patriots keep him and they all go down the toilet together.

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I was heavily in favor of getting moss but now I say pass. I hope that the patriots keep him and they all go down the toilet together.

Amen.

Cheesehead Craig
09-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Amazing how the mood changed around here about Moss now that he's been injured.

cheesner
09-01-2007, 12:16 PM
The rumor around Oakland was that Moss didn't appear that interested in playing football. I am wondering how bad his injury actually is.

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Sometimes a hamstring injury lingers all pre season and then with a magic faith healer it is fixed by opening weekend. It's rare and only happens with elite veteran receivers with ego problems.

Badgepack
09-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Amazing how the mood changed around here about Moss now that he's been injured.

I think it has more to do with the play of James Jones than Moss not playing.

KYPack
09-01-2007, 04:10 PM
The rumor around Oakland was that Moss didn't appear that interested in playing football. I am wondering how bad his injury actually is.

I saw Moss play last season. He acted like a jerk-off. He ran a deep cross and was open briefly. The kid QB was totally off rhythm and didn't release the ball. Moss shook his head disgustedly and kept running to the bench to sulk. The Raiders didn't know he was off the field and had to call a time-out to field 11 players. Shell was looking around for him to figure out what was happening.

I said pass on Moss in Feb. The guy is an immature, self-centered dick.

He can still run (I think), but his act ain't worth having on a team.

BooHoo
09-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Just say no to Moss. I was in favor of getting him before the draft but not any longer. Also, I will be surprised if he gets cut.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Just say no to Moss. I was in favor of getting him before the draft but not any longer. Also, I will be surprised if he gets cut.

No Maas!

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Did they cut him?

edit: Looks like they didn't.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Did they cut him?

if they did, I'm a monkey's uncle.

LEWCWA
09-01-2007, 11:51 PM
This is all headline grabbing garbage! What can we write to get people to click on our site. What BS. Greenbay would be lucky to have Moss on the roster! Some of you are sheep!!

esoxx
09-02-2007, 02:25 AM
That reminds me, where the hell has Murphy been????

Rastak
09-02-2007, 09:55 AM
More rumor stuff from PFT.com

MOSS RUMORS DON'T DIE

We are hearing more -- not less -- of those rumors that the Patriots might pull the plug prematurely on the Randy Moss experiment.

The talk is intensifying in the media, and among league insiders. One league source tells us that Moss is "bitching quietly" about his perceived role in the offense. A media source says that "where there's smoke there's fire" on this story.

Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald mentions the rumors, and reports that Tim DiPiero, who represents Moss, had not heard of any potential issues with the former Pro Bowler whose arrival in New England has helped to push expectations higher than ever.

Though Moss was not released on Saturday, the team could still dump him prior to next weekend and avoid responsibility for his $2.5 million salary. As we mentioned on Saturday night, the Pats currently have six receivers on the roster -- Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker, Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, and Kelley Washington. (Troy Brown and Chad Jackson are on the PUP list.)

Notably absent are any youngsters who would try to earn reps with the offense in the future through heavy involvement in special teams. As the roster is currently configured, guys like Gaffney and Caldwell (both starters in 2006) and Washington would be used for punt/kick coverage/return teams.

Could it be that the Pats will try to shop Moss to someone like the Packers or the Vikings before cutting him? Though Minnesota coach and former Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress surely has no interest in acquiring another potential T.O., owner Zygi Wilf might conclude that a return by Randy could be the way to sell out all of the seats for 2007.

Merlin
09-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Moss back to the Raiders to team with Cullpecker. I don't see 3T going after Moss anymore with the emergence of Jones. Although it would be nice, Martin has proven he can get the jump ball and may be as fast as Moss is now. I know Martin isn't a speedster and never will be but you have to think Moss lost a step or two. If we can pick him up for the original deal then sure, bring him in as long as he is healthy. Having that kind of firepower just make make our running game not matter.

MadtownPacker
09-02-2007, 10:47 AM
This is all headline grabbing garbage! What can we write to get people to click on our site. What BS. Greenbay would be lucky to have Moss on the roster! Some of you are sheep!!Whoa, slow your roll there. I wanted moss and after the preseason played out I dont. What's sheepish about that?

LEWCWA
09-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Cause a rookie plays well in the preseason(like Jennings last season) and we all saw how Jennings worked out, he made it about half a season! Then negative story about Moss comes out and all of a sudden we don't need a playmaker on this offense. Well negative stories will always follow Moss and I fully expect Jennings(the seemingly forgotten man in Green Bay) to have a much more productive season thank Jones. Jones will show flashes, but he is a rookie and well they usually take time! Having a legit homerun threat in this offense would be a blessing, especially with the feelings this D will keep us in most games! Keep it close and make a big play a good recipe. Moss is a no brainer, at his cost its a gamble well worth taking! And rest assured, Moss can still fly.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Cause a rookie plays well in the preseason(like Jennings last season) and we all saw how Jennings worked out, he made it about half a season! Then negative story about Moss comes out and all of a sudden we don't need a playmaker on this offense. Well negative stories will always follow Moss and I fully expect Jennings(the seemingly forgotten man in Green Bay) to have a much more productive season thank Jones. Jones will show flashes, but he is a rookie and well they usually take time! Having a legit homerun threat in this offense would be a blessing, especially with the feelings this D will keep us in most games! Keep it close and make a big play a good recipe. Moss is a no brainer, at his cost its a gamble well worth taking! And rest assured, Moss can still fly.

For the four games a year he isn't nursing a sore hammy....what is this, the third year in a row?

LEWCWA
09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah TO nused a hammy all training camp last year and well he put up some good numbers. Thats just the MO for these guys. They don't need no stinking camp! Sad part is they may be right!

Rastak
09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah TO nused a hammy all training camp last year and well he put up some good numbers. Thats just the MO for these guys. They don't need no stinking camp! Sad part is they may be right!

Dude, the last two have been half the damn year....DURING the season.

Who knows on this one.

LEWCWA
09-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Rastak, I have a sneaking suspicion it would about kill you to see Moss in Green and Gold,

LEWCWA
09-02-2007, 04:12 PM
yeah cause he is a malcontent and was playing for the Raiders. If your not on the hook long term for this guy, I see no downside. The guy is going to be a malcontent, thing is if things start going good it may take awhile to surface. If not cut him no bid deal!

Rastak
09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Rastak, I have a sneaking suspicion it would about kill you to see Moss in Green and Gold,

I have a sneaking suspicion I'd love it. I've been honest on the guy since this spring. I TOLD you guys he's hurt all the damn time now. He's a blast to watch, he makes unreal catches but he's always hurt.

edit: Hurt not gurt....what the hell is gurt?

Scott Campbell
09-02-2007, 04:32 PM
If he does get cut, I can't wait till some reporter sticks a microphone into Brett's face to see what he thinks.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
That reminds me, where the hell has Murphy been????

:lol:

LEWCWA
09-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Think the Pats were really thinking about cutting Moss any longer!

LEWCWA
09-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Yep he is washed up and definatly not worth the gamble. Who would want a playmaker on a team built for tough D?

DUMBASSES! :lol: :( :( :roll:

PackerBlues
09-15-2007, 12:15 AM
:tup:

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 03:10 AM
New England Patriots defeat the New York Jets on opening day 38-14.

Team Leaders

PASSING ATT COMP YDS TD
Tom Brady 28 22 297 3

RUSHING CAR YDS AVG TD
Laurence Maroney 20 72 3.6 0
Sammy Morris 11 54 4.9 0

RECEIVING REC YDS AVG TD
Randy Moss 9 183 20.3 1
Wes Welker 6 61 10.2 1

Yup. I too wonder what Brett Favre was thinking after Randy Moss's debut with the Pats, given the way our offense performed against the Eagles.

One game doesn't make a season; and yes, Randy Moss is a very talented player with question marks. We will have to wait and see how that story plays out in New England. No matter if it goes well or not, the fact he's not wearing the Green and Gold makes it moot.

How did it get there?

Ted Thompson didn't value Randy Moss enough to go for the gusto and secure him. All it would have taken was better timing or maybe a third.

Some will argue that that third secured the promise of one James Jones. He has had an excellent TC and shows promise but he'll not ever be a Randy Moss. THE QUESTION REMAINS WHAT IS RANDY MOSS NOW AND FOR 2007 AND BEYOND THAT SIGNALS STAR WIDE RECEIVER?

Randy Moss called that evaluation by Ted Thompson with 9 receptions for 183 yards and 1 TD last Sunday.

Randy Moss silenced many critics for some time with that. Will that continue in a similar fashion? As an NFL fan I hope so.

As a Packer fan I will always shake my head :)

FritzDontBlitz
09-15-2007, 03:10 AM
i imagine brett feels quite vindicated in raising hell about moss now....

the_idle_threat
09-15-2007, 03:26 AM
I heard they're still thinking about cutting him.

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 03:27 AM
i imagine brett feels quite vindicated in raising hell about moss now....

When we lost Ahman Green I felt it was imperitive on our GM to saddle in and give a determined effort to get something BIG in return to inject our offense.

I would have recognized Randy Moss in Green Bay as BIG.

LEWCWA
09-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Whether Moss is great or not, really doesn't matter, IMO. I believe our team was set up perfectly to take a chance on Moss. A strong defense, ?? galore on offense and some extra money, If that exists. It would be a gamble, but one with little downside if you ask me. If he doesn't perform cut him and move on. No big deal, but if he does perform he could be the difference in a playoff team!

4and12to12and4
09-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Moss is injured? I hadn't heard. I will say that I predicted this before the season began. He looks as skinny as Berrian, and if he doesn't play against the Chargers, he probably is just scared of a career ending injury (which I predicted in another post). He's lucky if he doesn't play against the Chargers, the Patriots are probably smart enough to just keep his skinny little ass off the field. Great hands, still pretty quick, but can be tackled with a pinky. The Bolts would rip him into pieces.

Bretsky
09-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Moss is injured? I hadn't heard. I will say that I predicted this before the season began. He looks as skinny as Berrian, and if he doesn't play against the Chargers, he probably is just scared of a career ending injury (which I predicted in another post). He's lucky if he doesn't play against the Chargers, the Patriots are probably smart enough to just keep his skinny little ass off the field. Great hands, still pretty quick, but can be tackled with a pinky. The Bolts would rip him into pieces.

Moss was injured in the preseason and then was the dominant wide receiver in the game last week. Looked smooth as he ever did.

I don't think he is hurt now

4and12to12and4
09-15-2007, 11:03 AM
I am praying he isn't injured, because I don't see him playing 60 minutes against the Chargers. He is frail, and will go down.

Bretsky
09-15-2007, 11:06 AM
I am praying he isn't injured, because I don't see him playing 60 minutes against the Chargers. He is frail, and will go down.

He's been frail his whole career, but somehow he's avoided injuries for most of it. He would not be as dominant for Green Bay as he might be for New England.

But Driver, Moss and James Jones sounds a heck of a lot better

than

Driver, James Jones, and the marginals IMO

LEWCWA
09-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Moss will be linked to this team all season. Another good game from the ass! Sure would like to see him running deep routes in Wisconsin.

Freak Out
09-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Moss will be linked to this team all season. Another good game from the ass! Sure would like to see him running deep routes in Wisconsin.

ya...how about those FAs that the Patriots signed. Those suckers are crazy and just trying to but a ring. :lol: :lol:

Bretsky
09-16-2007, 10:46 PM

ya...how about those FAs that the Patriots signed. Those suckers are crazy and just trying to but a ring. :lol: :lol:

Oh, but free agency doesn't work cause they are all overpaid :lol: ...J/K

Right now the Patriots are playing like they are alone on top in the NFL

Bretsky
09-16-2007, 10:49 PM

Not a good prediction; another 8 catches for 105 and 2 TD's

Chubbyhubby
09-17-2007, 08:34 AM
will Thompson go after him?

At this point, I hope not. I was all for him on draft day, but seeing his performance, or lack thereof, in training camp, we're better off without him. It's becoming apparent to me that he doesn't have it anymore. I'm much happier with Jennings and Jones.

Did you watch the Chargers and New England game? Moss torn the SD D to shreads scoring 2 TD's NO WAY will Moss get cut!

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-17-2007, 09:03 AM
This is why I wanted Moss all off-season. I refused to believe at only the age of 30 he just suddenly couldn't play anymore. I love James Jones, but Moss would have put this offense and the team to another level.

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 09:04 AM
This is why I wanted Moss all off-season. I refused to believe at only the age of 30 he just suddenly couldn't play anymore. I love James Jones, but Moss would have put this offense and the team to another level.

But for how long? We're gonna have Jones for a long, long time and imagine what's gonna happen when he reaches his potential...

Partial
09-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Probably. But so what? We are tied for the best record in the league? Having moss would still only make us tied at the very best.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2007, 09:51 AM

The choice isn't between Moss & James Jones. It's between Randy Moss and Chris Francies. They could still have drafted James Jones. Driver ain't gettin any younger.

But the real choice may have been non-existent. Moss probably wisely wanted to go to New England.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Chris Francies? New England traded the 110th selection to get Moss. Assuming Oakland wouldn't have taken a worse selection from us (probably a safe assumption), it would have at least taken Aaron Rouse to get him. If Thompson had made the trade, it's debatable that he would have taken a WR in round 3, so it's quite possible (I'd say likely) that trading Moss would have cost the team James Jones.

PackerBlues
09-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I think it is very unlikely that Thompson would have picked up Moss, without drafting another reciever or two as insurance in case Moss didn't work out.

Face it, those of you that said Moss was not worth picking up, for whatever excuse were wrong. Just as I was wrong about the way that Thompson is building this team. Thompson is building for the future, and he is doing a great job of it. At the same time, Moss would have been a great addition to the Packers, and with the amount of cap room that the Packers have, the only argument that works for not getting him, is the simple fact that Moss may not have wanted to play in GB as much as he did in NE. That is the one thing Thompson did not have control over, and the one reason that nobody should blame Thompson.........unless/until we hear it from the horses (Moss) mouth himself, that he would have came to GB over NE.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Chris Francies?

The point is it just cost a roster spot, not a particular player.

If Thompson had made the trade, it's debatable that he would have taken a WR in round 3, so it's quite possible (I'd say likely) that trading Moss would have cost the team James Jones.

I think TT's "best player available" credentials were firmly established with the pick of a defensive tackle in round 1. TT obviously saw a gem in JJ, I can't imagine he would pass him up just because of Moss. TT doesn't draft for the next season, that's clear. Driver is old and Moss is aging.

cpk1994
09-17-2007, 10:30 AM
I think it is very unlikely that Thompson would have picked up Moss, without drafting another reciever or two as insurance in case Moss didn't work out.

Face it, those of you that said Moss was not worth picking up, for whatever excuse was wrong. Just as I was wrong about the way that Thompson is building this team. Thompson is building for the future, and he is doing a great job of it. At the same time, Moss would have been a great addition to the Packers, and with the amount of cap room that the Packers have, the only argument that works for not getting him, is the simple fact that Moss may not have wanted to play in GB as much as he did in NE. That is the one thing Thompson did not have control over, and the one reason that nobody should blame Thompson.........unless/until we hear it from the horses (Moss) mouth himself, that he would have came to GB over NE.Would you still say not picking up Moss was wrong if he goes in the tank the next 14 games and becomes a cnacer. YOu can't make a judgement on 2 games. Let the season play out.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Receiving Statistics through two games

Player.......... Rec.. Yds .... Yds/Rec.... Long... TD
Randy Moss.. 17.... 288....... 16.9.......... 51...... 3

Pretty cool stat's for Mr. Moss. :)

So he must have gotten about 8 receptions for about 105 yards and 2 TD's Vs the Chargers last night.

Far below his 183 yards on 9 receptions and 1 TD in week 1.

Randy is falling off. Falling apart. Going to the dogs. Coming undone. Losing it. :)

Badgepack
09-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Moss is still an ass.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 10:40 AM
I think TT's "best player available" credentials were firmly established with the pick of a defensive tackle in round 1. TT obviously saw a gem in JJ, I can't imagine he would pass him up just because of Moss. TT doesn't draft for the next season, that's clear. Driver is old and Moss is aging.

Thompson's best player available is hogwash (see him drafting guys at our three biggest need positions with our three picks in rounds 2 and 3). Just like most GMs, if he clearly likes a guy more than the guys at a need position, he'll draft that guy. Once you get out of the top of the 1st round, I'm sure guys are pretty bunched together on the board, so it's probably likely (but not guaranteed) that he would have went a different route.

As far as Moss, I was one that was for trading the pick at the time. There are three things to remember: 1) we have no idea how Randy Moss would have played in Green Bay. He played poorly in Oakland and he's played great in New England. He probably would have played somewhere in between in Green Bay, 2) the knock on Moss (from me anyways) wasn't that he sucked, it was that he's broken down. Two weeks into the season is too early to judge if that is the case, 3) one thing that seems to have blown the Moss deal was the fact Moss wanted a one year deal to play in Green Bay. Now, if my choice is Randy Moss for one year or James Jones for five years at a reasonable salary, I'd probably take Jones.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 10:42 AM

Face it, those of you that said Moss was not worth picking up, for whatever excuse was wrong. Just as I was wrong about the way that Thompson is building this team. Thompson is building for the future, and he is doing a great job of it. At the same time, Moss would have been a great addition to the Packers, and with the amount of cap room that the Packers have, the only argument that works for not getting him, is the simple fact that Moss may not have wanted to play in GB as much as he did in NE. That is the one thing Thompson did not have control over, and the one reason that nobody should blame Thompson.........unless/until we hear it from the horses (Moss) mouth himself, that he would have came to GB over NE.Would you still say not picking up Moss was wrong if he goes in the tank the next 14 games and becomes a cnacer. YOu can't make a judgement on 2 games. Let the season play out.

When a talent like a Randy Moss comes available only common sense dictates that you giver to get that talent.

We lost one of our three best talents when Ahman Green wasn't offered enough to stay in Green Bay.

Common sense dictates that that quality of a player must be added and the cost only a third round pick?

You go for it !!!

You don't pansy around and offer only enough to ensure you don't lock up a talent like Moss.

Any NFL fan that predicates whether a deal done or not done was the correct move based on a player injury or not is not using correct thinking.

A decent fan of football doesn't wish or otherwise imagine that any NFL player should suffer the adversity of a long seasonal injury or to be knocked out of the game due to the same.

Anyone who wishes harm on another player deserves karma to inflict the worst injury on the team he loves to be a fan of.

Is there any member of this board that isn't well aware of the state we would be in if Brett Favre went done with a season endind injury.How about DD going out for many weeks or the season and worse both of these two top offensive leaders going down to serious injury.

I certainly believe that what goes around comes around.

KARMA.

We need that want that on our side.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2007, 10:45 AM
we have no idea how Randy Moss would have played in Green Bay.

Very true. Favre was willing to go WAY out on a limb in saying he would be make a difference. Maybe he saw something.

I just enjoy twisting the knife :)

mmmdk
09-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Moss is still an ass.

Yeah but the Lombardi Trophy is more likely going to Boston than Green Bay; even though Packers are 2-0.

How is winning not paramount?

Badgepack
09-17-2007, 11:14 AM
We would have only had Moss for 1 or 2 years, I'd rather have JJ for the next 5-6 years. Moss is doing great this year in a great offense, but he may have been a whiney bitch if he wasn't getting the ball with the Packers. He's an ass.

PackerBlues
09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
For anyone to assume that Moss would have been a cancer or a bust in GB, is just as bad, or no different than someone saying that he would have been a sure thing. He did great with the Vikes, having a loser like Culpepper for a QB, and in Oakland, things went sour fast.

I cannot fault Moss for wanting out of Oakland. My assumption/opinion, would have been that if you put Moss with any great QB, he would return to form, and be one of the greatest WR threats in the game. So far, it looks like that is exactly what happened, and now every other team in the league has to look at NE and Moss as a major road block in a run for the playoffs, or the SB. I do not think for one second that NE would look anywhere near as dangerous as they do now, without Moss.

Partial
09-17-2007, 01:13 PM
I wonder if the results of this thread would have been the same if the name was Owens instead of Moss that TT should have traded a pick for.

My guess is no. They're essentially the same headache for the same production.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Moss is still an ass.

Yup and that ASS gets his ASS into the endzone with the ball for TD's.

That ASS leads his team in receiving when he has a decent QB to play with.

Of course Tom Brady is far superior in that regard and therefore to have Favre and Moss would have really hurt us.

Then I just read the humble squeel that . . ''well we don't know if he would have played as well in Green Bay''.

What would have stopped him? The sausage or maybe the quality of the Ole Milwaukee isn't up to scratch?

That argument is moot.

We have a GM that can't get the paste of his trowsers to get to.

We need this and that in real terms. At what Moss would have cost us we look stupid not getting Randy Moss or anyone els into Green bay and contributing to us winning as easily as we are seeing New England win.

The Chargers were dead in the water last night and a big reason was Mr. Randy Moss.

Teddy blows another one.

Patler
09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
I read yet again over the weekend, ( I read this at the time, too) that Thompson went to bed one night thinking he had completed a deal for Moss. He thought it was a done deal only to find out the next day that a trade with New England was reported as final. Neither Oakland nor Moss' agent got back to him to give him an opportunity to offer still more. One article indicated he was never even told that New England was a serious consideration.

If, and I do say "if" because none of us really know for sure, that is what happened, Thompson can hardly be blamed for not getting Moss. TT and the Packers may have been played by Oakland or Moss to get more out of NE than what was offered originally.

Putting myself in the shoes of Randy Moss, I have to ask why I would WANT to go to GB? New England would be much more appealing. A QB as good or better than a 38 year old Favre, a QB that will be around as long as Moss wants to be there (Favre could be done after any season now) and a team that IS a legitimate playoff contender in NE. Why would you want to go to GB if you had your choice?

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I have friends in Philly. They look back on everything that went down with T.O., and even though they got to the Superbowl, they still wish they hadn't gotten Owens.

Moss has had a terrific couple of games, but there is plenty of time for this unholy marriage to go sour.

PackerBlues
09-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Look at the bright side, if Moss has a great season, he becomes a FA next year.........and if Favre decides to stick around for another year to make a SB run, Thompson has enough cap room to sign Moss as another weapon for Favre. :twisted:

Badgepack
09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Moss is still an ass.

Yup and that ASS gets his ASS into the endzone with the ball for TD's.

That ASS leads his team in receiving when he has a decent QB to play with.

Of course Tom Brady is far superior in that regard and therefore to have Favre and Moss would have really hurt us.

Then I just read the humble squeel that . . ''well we don't know if he would have played as well in Green Bay''.

What would have stopped him? The sausage or maybe the quality of the Ole Milwaukee isn't up to scratch?

That argument is moot.

We have a GM that can't get the paste of his trowsers to get to.

We need this and that in real terms. At what Moss would have cost us we look stupid not getting Randy Moss or anyone els into Green bay and contributing to us winning as easily as we are seeing New England win.

The Chargers were dead in the water last night and a big reason was Mr. Randy Moss.

Teddy blows another one.

That ass leaves the field before the game is over
That ass plays hard when he wants to
That ass would be a poor example for our younger players
That ass would have been in GB for 1 year
That ass would bitch and moan if he wasn't getting enough catches
That ass is playing great right now, with a Superbowl contender, thus he is happy

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
I read yet again over the weekend, ( I read this at the time, too) that Thompson went to bed one night thinking he had completed a deal for Moss. He thought it was a done deal only to find out the next day that a trade with New England was reported as final. Neither Oakland nor Moss' agent got back to him to give him an opportunity to offer still more. One article indicated he was never even told that New England was a serious consideration.

If, and I do say "if" because none of us really know for sure, that is what happened, Thompson can hardly be blamed for not getting Moss. TT and the Packers may have been played by Oakland or Moss to get more out of NE than what was offered originally.

Putting myself in the shoes of Randy Moss, I have to ask why I would WANT to go to GB? New England would be much more appealing. A QB as good or better than a 38 year old Favre, a QB that will be around as long as Moss wants to be there (Favre could be done after any season now) and a team that IS a legitimate playoff contender in NE. Why would you want to go to GB if you had your choice?

You are sounding like an apologist :wink:

Bottom line, whether he went to bed thinking he had a deal or not, is he had months to make it happen and he didn't get it done.

From there to each his own as to whether you want to praise him for not making it happen or criticize him.

Cheers,
B

Patler
09-17-2007, 05:42 PM

Bottom line, whether he went to bed thinking he had a deal or not, is he had months to make it happen and he didn't get it done.

From there to each his own as to whether you want to praise him for not making it happen or criticize him.

Cheers,
B

And you are starting to sound a bit whiny. :wink:

Why do we have to do either, praise or criticize him on the Moss deal?

There are 31 other teams trying to get better, just like the Packers. There are around to 2000 players who have their own goals, their own likes and dislikes. Who knows what Moss REALLY wanted, and if he would have come to GB under any conditions. I would hazard to guess some players do not want to come to GB, given a choice, and some (sacrilege here) don't want to play with Brett Favre. They might prefer someone who will be here the year after next, or even next year for that matter. Especially receivers.

Your position, as exemplified by your signature, has never made any sense to me.

1.Is there some rule that to be a good GM you HAVE to sign at least two "legitimate" free agents every year?

2. Why 2? Why not 3? or 1?

3. He signed three last year. why not "average" at 2?

4. What's "legitimate"? The absurd part is that at the time they were signed, Marquand Manual, Mark Roman and Joe Johnson would probably have satisfied your "requirements", but if all had been signed this year would GB be better for it? Would TT be a better GM because of it?

I much prefer to evaluate TT on his overall performance.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-17-2007, 05:57 PM

The choice isn't between Moss & James Jones. It's between Randy Moss and Chris Francies. They could still have drafted James Jones. Driver ain't gettin any younger.

But the real choice may have been non-existent. Moss probably wisely wanted to go to New England.

I understand that and thats what I meant.

This is what I wrote back in August:

I wanted Moss during that time the trade was possibility and I still wouldn’t mind having Moss. Jones and Jennings are awesome, but that doesn't mean they can't get better playing behind two great WR's. People act as though if Jones doesn't start as a rookie that his career is over or something and that he can't get better. I would rather be loaded at Wr than be one injury away from being weak and short handed. TT knows how to draft and no one can take that away from him, but sometimes I wish he would be a little more aggressive. I agree that you shouldn't over pay for old players, but Moss would not have cost much and the potential impact he could have had with Favre to me made the trade worth it. Are defense is very good, if we had just a little more on offense we would be a threat in the NFC.

BallHawk
09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Snoop Dog with the smackdown. :lol:

As of now, we can't say who is right and who is wrong. Time will tell. I am generally pro-TT, but I can see the side of the people that aren't satisfied with TT's free agency moves, or lack thereof.

But, hell, we're 2-0 so Ted must be doing something right.

Patler
09-17-2007, 06:10 PM

As of now, we can't say who is right and who is wrong. Time will tell. I am generally pro-TT, but I can see the side of the people that aren't satisfied with TT's free agency moves, or lack thereof.

Personally, I don't care if he never signs a FA, or if he signs 10 every year. I don't care if he accumulates draft picks, or if he trades them all away.

If the Packers become a playoff contender year after year, I will be happy regardless.

Packnut
09-17-2007, 06:13 PM
It's a mute point for now. No logic in carrying the Thompson debate on right now. We need to all sit back, and enjoy the season. Plenty of off-season time in 2008 to re-ignite the Thompson arguement.

BallHawk
09-17-2007, 06:38 PM

Personally, I don't care if he never signs a FA, or if he signs 10 every year. I don't care if he accumulates draft picks, or if he trades them all away.

If the Packers become a playoff contender year after year, I will be happy regardless.

It's not the number of FAs that he signs, it's the quality. In the 2006 offseason his two main FAs were Pickett and Woodson. He hit on both. He missed on Manuel, but in the long run that didn't hurt us.

Patler
09-17-2007, 06:55 PM

It's not the number of FAs that he signs, it's the quality. In the 2006 offseason his two main FAs were Pickett and Woodson. He hit on both. He missed on Manuel, but in the long run that didn't hurt us.

You missed my point. I could not care less how he builds the team, so long as he does build it into a competitor.

BallHawk
09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Whoops, didn't realize I was quoting you. I was just trying to make a point, not a counter-point. :D

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 07:35 PM
It's a mute point for now. No logic in carrying the Thompson debate on right now. We need to all sit back, and enjoy the season. Plenty of off-season time in 2008 to re-ignite the Thompson arguement.

Re-ignite? Mad needs to change your rat name to "Arsonist Rat".

:lol:

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 08:04 PM

Cheers,
B

And you are starting to sound a bit whiny. :wink:

Why do we have to do either, praise or criticize him on the Moss deal?

There are 31 other teams trying to get better, just like the Packers. There are around to 2000 players who have their own goals, their own likes and dislikes. Who knows what Moss REALLY wanted, and if he would have come to GB under any conditions. I would hazard to guess some players do not want to come to GB, given a choice, and some (sacrilege here) don't want to play with Brett Favre. They might prefer someone who will be here the year after next, or even next year for that matter. Especially receivers.

Your position, as exemplified by your signature, has never made any sense to me.

1.Is there some rule that to be a good GM you HAVE to sign at least two "legitimate" free agents every year?

2. Why 2? Why not 3? or 1?

3. He signed three last year. why not "average" at 2?

4. What's "legitimate"? The absurd part is that at the time they were signed, Marquand Manual, Mark Roman and Joe Johnson would probably have satisfied your "requirements", but if all had been signed this year would GB be better for it? Would TT be a better GM because of it?

I much prefer to evaluate TT on his overall performance.

1. The signature was suppose to be funny. Why two ? We had a shitload of money. I never fathomed that TTT would fail to sign two. I fully expected the sig to be gone within a couple months. Of course I was wrong

2. I really have no answer to that; to me two would be an easy number, even for TT, to hit. He signed four last year; I never fathomed I'd still have this sig when the season started.

3. I think he signed four last year. Charles Woodsen, Ryan Pickett, Marquand Manuel, and Ben Taylor. Hey, that would make it an average of two

4. Legitimate is meant to be taken lightly; I even categorized Frank Walker as legit. It's simply put a player who has contributed to a NFL team before. You site bust signings; there are plenty of very good free agent signings as well. Plenty of them.

As for evaluating TT, as I've said many many times, I'll glorify the guy if and when he wins a Super Bowl. He's moving in the right direction at this point.

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 08:05 PM

Am I losing it or was Ben Taylor also a free agent signing ?

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Yes he was. As was Krause this year who, by the way is in his 4th year and therefore has the NFL experience that qualifies for your definition of legitimate...

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Yes he was. As was Krause this year who, by the way is in his 4th year and therefore has the NFL experience that qualifies for your definition of legitimate...

Who is Krause ? Honestly, I don't know.

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
The free agent tight end TT picked up after final cuts.

BallHawk
09-17-2007, 08:33 PM

Was Ben Taylor expected to start at LB when he was signed? I remember a lot of people saying his stats were beefed up from playing on a bad defense in Cleveland.

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 08:37 PM

Was Ben Taylor expected to start at LB when he was signed? I remember a lot of people saying his stats were beefed up from playing on a bad defense in Cleveland.

He was only singed for around 1MIL per year so expectations were all over. He had a lot of tackles the year before.

He seemed to be the hard working kind of LB that a team could live with as a starter, but with limited upside most teams didn't want him to be a starter.

He was expected to either compete and win the job versus Poppinga or be our backup at a few LB positions.

Patler
09-17-2007, 08:56 PM

He was only singed for around 1MIL per year so expectations were all over. He had a lot of tackles the year before.

He seemed to be the hard working kind of LB that a team could live with as a starter, but with limited upside most teams didn't want him to be a starter.

He was expected to either compete and win the job versus Poppinga or be our backup at a few LB positions.

Ben Taylor was a FA and did have over 100 tackles in 2005. They expected him to compete for the spot that went to Poppinga. But he was hardly a big signing. One year contract, $50,000 signing bonus, $30,000 something in roster bonus and a minimum salary as I recall. He was the starter through camp and seemed to have the spot. Then just before the first game quite unexpectedly it was just given to Poppinga who sat out most of the camp. One article said it was solely because the defense seemed emotionless, and Poppinga is anything but that!

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
The free agent tight end TT picked up after final cuts.

Sorry. Hardly think he counts. He was cut by Cleveland, and he was a street FA. Not exactly what Bretsky has in mind. He's not even on the roster. He was signed to the practice squad.