PDA

View Full Version : APP ST UPSETS MICHIGAN!!!!

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2007, 02:43 PM
34 to 32 in the Big House!!! My god I can't believe it, holy shit from outer space!!!

Oh no Mario Manningham Makes a catch at the 20!!! 6 seconds left. Kick me in the balls!!!

KICK IS BLOCKED KICK IS BLOCKED!!!!!

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 02:46 PM
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 02:47 PM
If you lose to a I-AA team, you should be booted from the top 25 entirely.

Michigan should automatically finish last in the Big 10 just for that.

BF4MVP
09-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Division 1AA!!!

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 02:49 PM
That's their BCS Game plans gone.

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Michigan should probably be demoted so they can have another shot at Appalachian State in the Div IAA championship game this year.

It would only be fair for their fans.

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Michigan should probably be demoted so they can have another shot at Appalachian State in the Div IAA championship game this year.

It would only be fair for their fans.

Knowing their BCS plans are over after the first game of the season is due punishment.

And they're out of the top 25, I would think.

digitaldean
09-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Holy frickin' cow!!!!!

To have your national championship hopes dashed by a 1-AA school.

Heard on Fox Sports Radio this a.m. that App. St. got $400K to come to the Big House to be the sacrificial lamb.

U of M spent a whole lot of jack to get their season flushed down the toilet.

Will they be howlin' for Lloyd Carr's head tonight in Ann Arbor!!!!

digitaldean
09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Bucky better watch it... they're down 14-7 against Wash. St.

KYPack
09-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Couldn't happen to a bigger bunch a jerks.

If OSU and Fishigan lost all their games, I'd be estatic.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 04:23 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: MICHIGAN :smk: :jig: :glug: :wow: :bclap:

Spaulding
09-01-2007, 04:29 PM
As monumental as the Colts loss to the Jets in Super Bowl III?? No, wait this is far worse :D

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Its a great upset, but the fact is it is bad for the big ten and for their national title hopes that would come out of that conference. I was sort of hoping that Michigan's first loss would be at Camp Randall

esoxx
09-01-2007, 04:33 PM
How was Michigan ranked #5 to begin with? Reputation pick.

Willard
09-01-2007, 04:35 PM
At least one thing went right for Jason Hunter today! I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin....

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Because they have a really good offense. Two Heisman hopefuls in Henning and Hart

BooHoo
09-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Holy frickin' cow!!!!!

To have your national championship hopes dashed by a 1-AA school.

Heard on Fox Sports Radio this a.m. that App. St. got $400K to come to the Big House to be the sacrificial lamb.

U of M spent a whole lot of jack to get their season flushed down the toilet.

Will they be howlin' for Lloyd Carr's head tonight in Ann Arbor!!!!

Rumor mill has it that it is Carr's last year anyway. But still how do you lose to such a small school. The year is lost right after the first game.

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Rumor mill has it that it is Carr's last year anyway. But still how do you lose to such a small school. The year is lost right after the first game.

For a division IAA team, App state is good. They're 2-time defending champions, and they've been in the mix for the championship every year for a while now.

The thing I don't quite get is what is Michigan thinking bringing in a IAA team that's not used to losing and isn't going to be afraid of you. Wouldn't they be better off bringing in a bad division I team that's used to losing to the big boys and is likely to be intimidated? I mean, at least if you lose to the latter team you don't have the stigma of losing to a Div IAA team.

Particularly since everyone and their brother knew that although Michigan has a promising offense this year, they're at best suspect defensively. If you're going to be bring in a sacrificial lamb for a tune-up, don't bring in a sacrificial lamb with an explosive, dynamic offense. A fair bit of the shame in maize and blue today falls to the AD making a mistake scheduling this team in this game.

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 05:34 PM
In the eyes of the public, all I-AA teams are the same. It doesn't matter which one it is. You're supposed to beat them.

So why bring in the best of the I-AA? It's more risk and no more reward.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 05:36 PM

Because they have a really good offense. Two Heisman hopefuls in Henning and Hart

Michigan may still be the best team in college football.

College football needs a playoff.

How would you like it if the Packers had a clunker game on opening day, and it eliminated them from playoff consideration?

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:47 PM

How would you like it if the Packers had a clunker game on opening day, and it eliminated them from playoff consideration?

That very well may happen. :shock: :wink:

Kidding.

The problem with a "playoff" scenario is that they have to play more games. Isn't the most important thing for these guys to be in class and get a degree?

How do "playoffs" help that?

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 05:50 PM
The problem with a "playoff" scenario is that they have to play more games. Isn't the most important thing for these guys to be in class and get a degree?

Are you an advocate for canceling March Madness?

Willard
09-01-2007, 06:03 PM
At least one thing went right for Jason Hunter today! I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin....

I take it back. Congratulations to Jason Hunter (A. State alumnus) for making the team again. I guess 2 things went right for you today!

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 06:11 PM

I take it back. Congratulations to Jason Hunter (A. State alumnus) for making the team again. I guess 2 things went right for you today!

Same thing with Mason Crosby. Crosby's team (Colorado) won on a FG in Overtime.

retailguy
09-01-2007, 06:24 PM

Are you an advocate for canceling March Madness?

(In my best snooty professor tone)

"If it interferes with their studies, then YES, cancel them". :P 8-)

MadtownPacker
09-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Isn't the most important thing for these guys to be in class and get a degree?

How do "playoffs" help that?What the hell for?? They're mostly a bunch of pendejos so just let em do what they do best!!

retailguy
09-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Isn't the most important thing for these guys to be in class and get a degree?

How do "playoffs" help that?What the hell for?? They're mostly a bunch of pendejos so just let em do what they do best!!

Because I'm afraid more of those pendejos will wind up like Mark Gastineau and you and I will wind up SUPPORTING them...

Fritz
09-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm a Michigan grad and I used to be a fan, but I often find Michigan fans to be obnoxious and very much fair-weather. Thus over the years I have become much less a passionate fan of that program. This is mostly due to the many whiny fans. They complain incessantly and seem to forget that these players are a bunch of 20 year old kids. So the fans have turned me off from this program.

In fact, I must say I kind of am glad App State won. Why not? Let the little team knock of the smug IA team. It's more fun than Michigan winning a squeaker and the fans bitching anyway.

SkinBasket
09-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I just want to point out I called this one two weeks ago.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 08:38 PM

Were you drunk ? :lol:

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 08:42 PM

Were you drunk ? :lol:

Most probably. About as drunk as when he took Tennessee's defense in the draft last night. :wink: :D

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 08:50 PM

If you want to do something SIGNIFICANT to help educate the football boys, make freshmen ineligible. Let them ALL redshirt and get a solid foundation academically.

I hate to see true freshman suited-up to play in September. Christ, most of them are too skinny, and they haven't had a chance to adjust to college life/pressures.

(Having a handful of teams play in January, when most are on vacation anyway, or just starting semesters, really is not a big intrusion educationally.)

retailguy
09-01-2007, 08:51 PM

If you want to do something SIGNIFICANT to help educate the football boys, make freshmen ineligible. Let them ALL redshirt and get a solid foundation academically.

I hate to see true freshman suited-up to play in September. Christ, most of them are too skinny, and they haven't had a chance to adjust to college life/pressures.

(Having a handful of teams play in January, when most are on vacation anyway, or just starting semesters, really is not a big intrusion educationally.)

Go for it! I just know that the world doesn't like change.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Go for it! I just know that the world doesn't like change.

Freshmen used to be ineligible to play. They changed it around the time that the NFL started cannibalizing the college ranks.

I'm waiting for highschool kids to start turning pro. What with human growth hormone, why wait?

mraynrand
09-01-2007, 09:20 PM

I wholeheartedly agree. I would have much rather have seen this loss put on an even more arrogant team like ND. But Michigan has gotten pretty full of themselves of late, so they deserve a good spanking. And for shit's sake, it's time for Carr to go. This will assure that he will be gone.

mraynrand
09-01-2007, 09:25 PM
IF you really care about education, let players use up their elgibility, play their four years and come back to take classes after their playing career is over. What often happens is that guys piss away their classes focusing on football and end up with a worthless degree and no skills. If they finish playing ball and still have their academic college career in front of them, more guys might see the value of getting a good education and be able to focus on it. The guys who want to attend classes while they play could still do so.

FavreChild
09-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Totally agree - and, no less, as someone who teaches football players at PSU. Where, incidentally, JoePa, doesn't much let his players get away with that crap.

Yes, DI football players are privileged - but they are just as much exploited by the system, too. They deserve their free education for the average of $1 million that each DI player brings in.

By the way, I am ecstatic that Michigan lost - ha ha ha, nyah, nyah, nyah - but let's keep in mind that yes, these are all just students.

FavreChild
09-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Um....by the way....Badgers rule, and so do PACKERRATS.

BF4MVP
09-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm pretty sure App State beating Michigan would be like a 16 seed beating a 1 seed in the NCAA tourney..

It just doesn't happen..

They'd better be out of the top 25.

oregonpackfan
09-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Next week, the Oregon Ducks travel to Ann Arbor to play the Wolverines.

I predict Carr and the Michegan players will be hell bent to destroy the Ducks. Michigan by 17 points.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Mind blowing....

Kiwon
09-02-2007, 07:00 AM
"Happy Appy" as they're known and now they have a legitimate reason to celebrate.

Huge moment for them.

LL2
09-02-2007, 08:53 AM
I can't believe Michigan lost! At least the Badgers won. I like both teams. When I started getting interested in college football I was living in Michigan and went to a few games at Ann Arbor. It is probably the 2nd best place to watch a game after Lambeau field.

Bretsky
09-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I can't believe Michigan lost! At least the Badgers won. I like both teams. When I started getting interested in college football I was living in Michigan and went to a few games at Ann Arbor. It is probably the 2nd best place to watch a game after Lambeau field.

Have you been to Camp Randall yet ?

Him8123
09-02-2007, 09:30 AM
i live like 2 hours from app state, cant believe they beat michigan

LL2
09-02-2007, 05:38 PM

Nope, but perhaps I should.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Michigan Faced a Proud, Talented Underdog
By VIV BERNSTEIN
Published: September 3, 2007
BOONE, N.C., Sept. 2 — There used to be a running joke in North Carolina that the best college football team in the state could not be found at any of those esteemed campuses with basketball traditions in Chapel Hill, Durham or Raleigh. You had to go to a small resort town in the Blue Ridge Mountains named after Daniel Boone to find North Carolina’s top program.

But as Appalachian State proved on Saturday, when it pulled off one of the biggest upsets in college football history with a 34-32 victory at fifth-ranked Michigan, it is not a joke anymore. The Mountaineers, a mostly unknown collection of players who would probably never show up on Michigan’s recruiting radar, showed up at Michigan Stadium, known as the Big House, and proved they belonged.

“Hopefully the whole world knows,” quarterback Armanti Edwards said during a news conference on Sunday.

It was a stunning upset by any measure. But oddly it was not as great a shock to those who have followed Appalachian State. The Mountaineers won the last two championships in Division I-AA, now known as the Football Championship Subdivision. They play one level below premier programs like Michigan, which plays in what is now known as the Football Bowl Subdivision.

The Mountaineers were not the cream puff opponent that Michigan fans might have envisioned, even if they do play in the Southern Conference against opponents like Wofford and Elon. In fact, a university official said the team has had difficulty scheduling nonconference teams in its own state, like North Carolina and Wake Forest, which apparently want no part of Appalachian State. They know better.

Appalachian State is 27-4 since the start of the 2005 season and has a 15-game winning streak — the longest among Division I teams.

Coach Jerry Moore, in his 19th season at Appalachian State, was named the American Football Coaches Association National coach of the year for the past two seasons.

“I feel like everybody here who starts or even backs up can play for a Division I school anywhere in the country,” receiver Dexter Jackson, who had 3 catches for 92 yards and 2 touchdowns, said during a news conference at Appalachian State on Sunday. “Coach Moore told us to play like we had a chip on our shoulder and show these boys.”

Indeed, Moore finds players with that requisite chip and brings them to Appalachian State. Many are players who have the ability to play in Division I-A, but for some reason never quite made it there. They are too short or too thin or, in some cases, too obscure to have been noticed by the major programs. Among the program’s alumni is Dexter Coakley, a former Dallas Cowboys and St. Louis Rams linebacker, who is undersized at 5 feet 10 inches.

Moore is like many coaches at smaller programs; he identifies players on the recruiting bubble and then waits to see if they get an offer from a top program. Moore looks for speed in recruiting, crucial at every position but particularly for Moore’s wide-open spread offense.

Edwards fit the mold. A 6-foot sophomore from Greenwood, S.C., he had a chance to play for Clemson, a traditional Atlantic Coast Conference power. But Edwards said that Clemson wanted him to switch to cornerback or receiver.

So he committed to Appalachian State, stayed at quarterback, earned a starting position as a freshman last season and became only the fifth quarterback in N.C.A.A. Division I history to throw for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 in one season. Against Michigan, Edwards was 17 of 23 for 227 yards passing and 3 touchdowns. He also rushed for 62 yards and another touchdown.

Jackson, the speedy wide receiver, was another Division I-A hopeful. He grew up in Atlanta wanting to play for the Georgia Bulldogs, only to be told he was not quite tall enough at 5-10. Jackson’s 68-yard touchdown catch-and-run in the first quarter answered Michigan’s opening scoring drive, tied the score at 7-7 and sent a message to the Wolverines.

“We just wanted to show y’all boys we could play with y’all,” Jackson said he told Michigan cornerback Morgan Trent in the end zone after the touchdown. “He started snickering a little bit, knowing like, ‘What’s going on; we’re Michigan and we’re letting this school come in here and show they can play with us.’ ”

Moore called that drive the turning point of the game, even though it came in the opening minutes.

“When they go down and score to make it 7-0, there were 109,000 people and millions of people watching who thought that’s what was going to happen,” Moore said. “We came right back and countered with that touchdown and it was a 7-7 ballgame, and from that point on, I think people just said we could play with these guys.”

But it wasn’t until Corey Lynch blocked a field-goal attempt in the final seconds that Appalachian State secured the victory. Lynch, a fifth-year senior who said he was overlooked by major programs because he played for a small evangelical high school in Florida, could become the first three-time all-American at Appalachian State since Coakley.

The final play marked the start of the celebration in Boone. One of the goal posts at Kidd Brewer Stadium was torn down by a crowd estimated at more than 4,000 and carried to the home of the university chancellor, Kenneth E. Peacock. But it was an orderly party; a university police officer said there were no arrests.

That’s in keeping with a student body that comes primarily from Greensboro, Charlotte and western North Carolina, drawn to this small mountain town known for sports like skiing and hiking.

But this victory could make it a bit less obscure. At least, that’s what some hope.

“For Appalachian to be able to be in the newspapers the next day, showing Appalachian with Michigan, that’s got value,” said Peacock, who attended Saturday’s game. “What the score says after that is a whole ’nother story.”

It is likely to add dollars to the university coffers as well. In addition to the $400,000 Appalachian State received from Michigan for playing the game, the athletic director Charlie Cobb said the local Wal-Mart would sell as much as $1 million worth of Appalachian State merchandise this year.

And the college has found some new clients as well. Cobb said Ohio retailers are looking to stock Appalachian State apparel now.

It seems Ohio State fans are suddenly very fond of the Mountaineers.

Bretsky
09-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Yes, and make sure it's a big game; you just might have a new 2nd favorite place to watch a football game

Fritz
09-03-2007, 07:36 AM

Yes, and make sure it's a big game; you just might have a new 2nd favorite place to watch a football game

I can't agree with you LL2. It's a kind of cool place but the fans are lukewarm. There isn't a whole lot of noise and passion in that stadium.

As for the discussion of what to do with college football, I think, Harlan, you're going in the wrong direction completely. I think people ought to own up to what college football is - a farm system for the NFL. To that end, Division I teams should recruit players and pay them, and not ask them to pretend to be students. That is, those large universities would simply recruit and sponsor teams. You'd still have your Wisconsin Badgers and so on - they just wouldn't attend classes. Division II and II teams could stay as is - kids who want to play and want to be students, too. By eliminating academics from Division I teams, you keep the Randy Moss types who couldn't qualify for the Ohio States of the world out of Division II.

Everybody's happy. Crazy fans can still root for "their" team, players can play, those who want an education can play and still get that, players that are only going to college to be able to play football in order to audition for the NFL can do that too, and the NFL gets a more honest farm system.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 08:01 AM
It is likely to add dollars to the university coffers as well. In addition to the $400,000 Appalachian State received from Michigan for playing the game, the athletic director Charlie Cobb said the local Wal-Mart would sell as much as $1 million worth of Appalachian State merchandise this year.

And the college has found some new clients as well. Cobb said Ohio retailers are looking to stock Appalachian State apparel now.

I hope that Appalachian State gear will be worn by fans in every stadium the Wolverines visit this year.

If you were making a movie about an underdog football team that slayed the arrogant Big School U, could you think of a better name than "Appalachian State"? This is just too perfect to be true.

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 08:16 AM

I hope that Appalachian State gear will be worn by fans in every stadium the Wolverines visit this year.

If you were making a movie about an underdog football team that slayed the arrogant Big School U, could you think of a better name than "Appalachian State"? This is just too perfect to be true.

WHAT A GREAT IDEA

It would be awesome to have all of the fans wearing Appalachian state jerseys when the Wolves came to Camp Randall

LL2
09-03-2007, 09:00 AM

I can't agree with you LL2. It's a kind of cool place but the fans are lukewarm. There isn't a whole lot of noise and passion in that stadium.

As for the discussion of what to do with college football, I think, Harlan, you're going in the wrong direction completely. I think people ought to own up to what college football is - a farm system for the NFL. To that end, Division I teams should recruit players and pay them, and not ask them to pretend to be students. That is, those large universities would simply recruit and sponsor teams. You'd still have your Wisconsin Badgers and so on - they just wouldn't attend classes. Division II and II teams could stay as is - kids who want to play and want to be students, too. By eliminating academics from Division I teams, you keep the Randy Moss types who couldn't qualify for the Ohio States of the world out of Division II.

Everybody's happy. Crazy fans can still root for "their" team, players can play, those who want an education can play and still get that, players that are only going to college to be able to play football in order to audition for the NFL can do that too, and the NFL gets a more honest farm system.

While paying college football players isn't a bad idea because universities make a ton of money off of football programs, and the football programs pretty much finance pretty much every other sport at colleges. You shouldn't take away the schooling aspect. So you pay them for 3 or 4 years to play football, then what? At 23 or 24 they start a new career doing what? Flipping burgers? Roughly 300 college football players a year get a chance to go pro, so the rest need an opportunity to get a degree to start some kind of career.