PDA

View Full Version : Rayner cut

cuqui
09-01-2007, 04:20 PM
from the GBPG:

Packers cut kicker Rayner

The Green Bay Packers have decided to go with rookie Mason Crosby as their kicker and have released incumbent Dave Rayner.

Rayner told the Press-Gazette this afternoon that he had been released after the team made several attempts to trade him.

“They said it was the hardest decision they had to make at any position,” Rayner said when reached on his cell phone. “It was one of those things where I don’t think I could have done any more. I was fighting an uphill battle the whole way after the draft.”

Rayner won the kicking job last summer over veteran Billy Cundiff and made 26 of 35 field goals during the regular season, but General Manager Ted Thompson shook up the special teams when he drafted Crosby out of Colorado in the sixth round of April’s draft.

“Who knows, maybe I’ll be back here someday,” Rayner said. “You never know if he’s the guy long-term or a quick fix.”

The Packers are expected to announce their cuts in a few hours. The NFL deadline for reducing rosters to 53 players is 5 p.m., Central time.

Willard
09-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Crosby's bionic leg is too powerful to ignore. This is not surprising. I was hoping they could get a late round pick, but didn't really expect it would happen. Go Crosby Go!

BF4MVP
09-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Best battle of camp..

Rayner will find work somewhere.

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
My bet is he finds a home in Cincy.

Guiness
09-01-2007, 05:04 PM
The NFL sure is funny the way teams will sit on their hands waiting for a guy to get released instead of trading for him. The Pack was even rumoured to be doing that with Moss for a while, hoping Oakland wouldn't want to pay him a roster bonus or something.

I'm guessing at least a couple of teams have their eye on him, and he'll be picked up by morning.

Jesus - Crosby and Ryan. Which of those guys has the bigger leg? They're both monsters.

Fritz
09-01-2007, 07:56 PM
I like Rayner. He'll have a job in a few weeks at the latest.

woodbuck27
09-01-2007, 08:34 PM

Tough blow to Dave Rayner coming so late in TC but he's got a leg.

I bet he bounces back.

retailguy
09-01-2007, 08:43 PM

My bet is the agent is fielding phone calls tonight.