PDA

View Full Version : Packer Cuts Announced

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 04:38 PM
The cuts haven't been posted yet, but post them here. Otherwise we'll have a mad dash to post the cuts, which will result in utter chaos. :D

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-01-2007, 04:40 PM
:D

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Packers cut kicker Rayner

The Green Bay Packers have decided to go with rookie Mason Crosby as their kicker and have released incumbent Dave Rayner.

Rayner told the Press-Gazette this afternoon that he had been released after the team made several attempts to trade him.

“They said it was the hardest decision they had to make at any position,” Rayner said when reached on his cell phone. “It was one of those things where I don’t think I could have done any more. I was fighting an uphill battle the whole way after the draft.”

Rayner won the kicking job last summer over veteran Billy Cundiff and made 26 of 35 field goals during the regular season, but General Manager Ted Thompson shook up the special teams when he drafted Crosby out of Colorado in the sixth round of April’s draft.

“Who knows, maybe I’ll be back here someday,” Rayner said. “You never know if he’s the guy long-term or a quick fix.”

The Packers are expected to announce their cuts in a few hours. The NFL deadline for reducing rosters to 53 players is 5 p.m., Central time.

retailguy
Are you the "Miss Manners" of Packerrats? :P

BallHawk
Are you the "Miss Manners" of Packerrats? :P

Nah, I'm the attention whore. I get satisfaction out of a large number of people replying to my posts.

KYPack
09-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah, Hawk.

What are you talking about, Bro?

BooHoo
09-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Cuts are chaos! :D

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I've got nada so far.

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:12 PM
I've got nada so far.

but you've got 7 posts in this thread. :wink:

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 05:13 PM
I've got nada so far.

but you've got 7 posts in this thread. :wink:

Today was a good day. :wink:

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 05:30 PM
The Green Bay Packers released 20 players, placed three on injured reserve and traded for another player Saturday. The transactions were announced by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Released Saturday were tight end Zac Alcorn, defensive end Larry Birdine, wide receiver Shaun Bodiford, wide receiver David Clowney, cornerback Patrick Dendy, wide receiver Chris Francies, linebacker Tim Goodwell, tight end Clark Harris, linebacker Spencer Havner, linebacker Rory Johnson, guard Travis Leffew, safety Marquand Manuel, fullback Brandon Miree, safety Alvin Nnabufie, kicker Dave Rayner, wide receiver Calvin Russell, guard Adam Stenavich, tackle Orrin Thompson, quarterback Paul Thompson and running back Corey White.

Safety Tyrone Culver, linebacker Abdul Hodge and guard Tyson Walter were placed on injured reserve.

The Packers acquired running back Ryan Grant from the New York Giants for an undisclosed future draft pick. Grant, a graduate of Notre Dame, spent the 2005 season on the Giants' practice squad and the 2006 season on injured reserve.

SD GB fan
09-01-2007, 05:32 PM
so is anyone really surprised?

BallHawk
Nope.

Lurker64
At first glance, I'm a bit surprised they cut Birdine, he showed me something in garbage time in the preseason. Maybe they figure they can hide him on the practice squad?

I suppose if it's Birdine of Muir, I'd rather have Muir. We've got depth at both end and tackle, but Muir can play both positions.

Harlan Huckleby
I like it. They kept all the good D linemen, especially Muir.

They got rid of White at RB, good.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Wait a sec, Did Wynn make the team? I'm ok with that, but surprised.

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Looks like he did, but he might not last the weekend. If I'm Thompson, I'm looking to sift through the TE cuts and bring in somebody else, and Wynn is probably the guy I cut if there's an offensive player I want in the initial wave of cuts.

People will be sifting through out cuts for Kickers and D-Linemen. Nobody is going to be sifting through our cuts for RBs, so I figured Wynn could probably be stashed on the practice squad.

retailguy

Clowney made it too.

edit - nope missed it... sorry. :oops:

Willard
we could use a TE, FB, and LB off the waiver scrap heap. Any ideas?

gbpackfan
Manuel got the boot. I guess no trade could be worked out.

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 05:36 PM

Clowney made it too.

"Released Saturday were tight end Zac Alcorn, defensive end Larry Birdine, wide receiver Shaun Bodiford, wide receiver David Clowney,..."

Guiness
09-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, I think we all knew Manual could be gone, but still a little surprised to see it. I still think he's arguably the third best safety on the squad.

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Manuel got the boot. I guess no trade could be worked out.

Wow, that's are real shocker... :P

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Clowney made it too.

"Released Saturday were tight end Zac Alcorn, defensive end Larry Birdine, wide receiver Shaun Bodiford, wide receiver David Clowney,..."

yeah, I fixed my post... missed it on the first read.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-01-2007, 05:39 PM
5 RB's?

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Well, I think we all knew Manual could be gone, but still a little surprised to see it. I still think he's arguably the third best safety on the squad.

Agree, but must not have handled the demotion very well. Reminds me of the Terry Glenn situation a few years ago. Glenn probably wouldn't have handled being the #3 very well either.

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:40 PM
5 RB's?

Quantity over Quality? :P

Willard
09-01-2007, 05:46 PM
How many players are on the roster now? Do we have room to add anybody without further cuts?

BooHoo
09-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I am surprised that Wynn made the team.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Is this right, Harris Woodson, Bush, Blackman, Walker, Williams?

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 05:51 PM
5 RB's?

It won't be that way on game day. I don't see how they can have Winn on the roster against the Eagles.

Harlan Huckleby
I think Thompson somehow managed to keep about 60 players.

gbpackfan
Roster breakdown:

2 QB
5 WR
2 TE
5 RB
1 FB
9 OL
5 DE
6 DT
5 LB
6 CB
4 S
1 K
1 P
1 LS

With only 1 FB and 2 TEs, this team isn't done adding players yet. Waiver wire will come into play.

KYPack
09-01-2007, 05:53 PM
If Clowney makes the PS, somebody must serve themselves up a slice of crow pie.

CaliforniaCheez
09-01-2007, 05:54 PM
There are always 2 guys kept that I think shouldn't be and 2 guys cut who should have been kept.

Wynn over White is a suprise especially with Miree cut. White could play both positions and never had a run for a loss during his college career.

The Ghost and Mr. Muir?? Suprise!!

Walker/Dendy was almost a coin flip.

5 LB's 2 QB's 2 TE's another suprise.

gbpackfan
09-01-2007, 05:59 PM
There are always 2 guys kept that I think shouldn't be and 2 guys cut who should have been kept.

Wynn over White is a suprise especially with Miree cut. White could play both positions and never had a run for a loss during his college career.

The Ghost and Mr. Muir?? Suprise!!

Walker/Dendy was almost a coin flip.

5 LB's 2 QB's 2 TE's another suprise.

Wynn has more talent then White. I just wish Wynn had White's heart.

Muir is no surprise. He had a real nice preseason. Turning heads all summer.

Walker is better then Dendy IMO. I never thought highly of Dendy and Walker had a real nice game against the Jags.

gbpackfan
09-01-2007, 05:59 PM
UPDATED PACKERS DEPTH CHART

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Huh. Tramon Williams made the team, I didn't see that happening.

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Donald Lee is the #1?

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Donald Lee is the #1?

The depth chart doesn't really mean anything right now. Harrell isn't going to start week 1 either.

gbpackfan
09-01-2007, 06:05 PM

For now. We'll see come tomorrow.

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 06:07 PM

For now. We'll see come tomorrow.

Looks like he made the team based on his special teams play. He's the #2 KR, at least.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
The Green Bay Packers released 20 players, placed three on injured reserve and traded for another player Saturday. The transactions were announced by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Released Saturday were tight end Zac Alcorn, defensive end Larry Birdine, wide receiver Shaun Bodiford, wide receiver David Clowney, cornerback Patrick Dendy, wide receiver Chris Francies, linebacker Tim Goodwell, tight end Clark Harris, linebacker Spencer Havner, linebacker Rory Johnson, guard Travis Leffew, safety Marquand Manuel, fullback Brandon Miree, safety Alvin Nnabufie, kicker Dave Rayner, wide receiver Calvin Russell, guard Adam Stenavich, tackle Orrin Thompson, quarterback Paul Thompson and running back Corey White.

Safety Tyrone Culver, linebacker Abdul Hodge and guard Tyson Walter were placed on injured reserve.

The Packers acquired running back Ryan Grant from the New York Giants for an undisclosed future draft pick. Grant, a graduate of Notre Dame, spent the 2005 season on the Giants' practice squad and the 2006 season on injured reserve.

I wish Larry Burdine would have made the squad; maybe his upside is low, but he looked quite impressive in the preseason

pack4to84
09-01-2007, 06:17 PM
I was pulling for Larry Burdine. I thought he played with a lot of heart out there.

Fritz
09-01-2007, 07:55 PM
He seems to be a perfect practice squad candidate. Sign him and The Clownster up!

woodbuck27
09-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Roster breakdown:

2 QB
5 WR
2 TE
5 RB
1 FB
9 OL
5 DE
6 DT
5 LB
6 CB
4 S
1 K
1 P
1 LS

With only 1 FB and 2 TEs, this team isn't done adding players yet. Waiver wire will come into play.

5 RB's ?? 6 CB's ?? 9 DL ??

and only 5 LBer's ??

More work to do there. :)

woodbuck27
09-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Birdine may very well be back v. soon.

pack4to84
09-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Roster breakdown:

2 QB
5 WR
2 TE
5 RB
1 FB
9 OL
5 DE
6 DT
5 LB
6 CB
4 S
1 K
1 P
1 LS

5 RB's ?? 6 CB's ?? 9 DL ??

and only 5 LBer's ??

More work to do there. :)
5+6=11

My guess TT still trying to work out a trade sending one of our DL men. Don't see use keeping 11 DL men.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 09:00 PM
The depth chart doesn't really mean anything right now. Harrell isn't going to start week 1 either.

I wonder if it is possible that he does start.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:08 PM
I would be shocked :shock: if Harrell starts on opening day. The starter isn't the most important thing if they all play but when you have Jolly, Williams and Cole who are all better and you play Harrell more than any of them, you are committing a football sin. Harrell mgiht see the field but he should be the least used in our DT rotation right now and there is no way he should start just becuase it would be a complete joke to the guys who beat him out.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2007, 09:10 PM
this is a long shot, but I wonder if the Packers project HArrell to be an important player before the end of the year. Maybe they are pushing him to achieve a lot yet this season.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:14 PM
I WAS DEAD WRONG ON DENDY, BTW. . . Just WRONG. The guy sucked. It was good to see them keep a guy like Williams though. He earned his spot.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
this is a long shot, but I wonder if the Packers project HArrell to be an important player before the end of the year. Maybe they are pushing him to achieve a lot yet this season.

I guess there is some logic in this but Jolly has stepped up more than I thought he would and now you just can't force feed Harrell snaps at the expence of Jolly. Maybe at the expense of Cole but not Jolly and you can't start him because it's insulting to the other players.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Maybe Williams can play like 25% snaps at DT and 25% snaps at DE making his total around 50%.

Pickett 60%, Jolly 20%, Cole 20%
Jolly 40%, Williams 25%, Cole 10%, Harrell 25%

This way everyone plays. Harrell might be more effective on his first 10 snaps than Cole is on his 40th and 50th snap. I don't think something like this is coming at the expense of the team just because it keeps guys fresh and everyone is more effective while they are in.

Harrell hasn't been horrible. I saw him blow up a couple runs and he was very alert on that interception. He did that a lot in college, it wasn't a fluke. HE's just aware in that area of the game. He surely hasn't lived up to the #16 billing but he's not junk either. He can play, he just better be completely rested and going 110% every snap he gets because he wouldn't be good enough at anything less than his all.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Birdine had his moments, but I can't get over the fact that he was winded all of the time. Not just tired, but a lay on the ground like he couldn't play one more down type thing. I've met people like that. Good athletes. Played a lot of sports. But would get winded sooner than others. Made me wonder if he smokes.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I WAS DEAD WRONG ON DENDY, BTW. . . Just WRONG. The guy sucked. It was good to see them keep a guy like Williams though. He earned his spot.

You are developing a reputation for your DB scouting.......first Hawkins, now Dendy :lol:

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 10:12 PM
You are developing a reputation for your DB scouting.......first Hawkins, now Dendy :lol:

I plan on overcoming that issue. I've watched football for a long time but only in the last three years have I had my opinions challenged and there for it was only the last couple eyars that I've grown. I had the severe disadvantage of seeing guys compared to Carroll. I fully intend on rectifying this chink in my Armour.

I am wrong quite a bit. I throw my opinion around quite a bit though so I'm going to be. I strive to be better though and I think I'm getting there over time. I have no problem fessing up when I'm off base though. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm hard on people who don't admit when they are wrong though. It's one of my pet peeves.

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Birdine had his moments, but I can't get over the fact that he was winded all of the time. Not just tired, but a lay on the ground like he couldn't play one more down type thing. I've met people like that. Good athletes. Played a lot of sports. But would get winded sooner than others. Made me wonder if he smokes.

Besides he played the run like shit.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Is the Fraud a Viking ?

Rastak
09-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Is the Fraud a Viking ?

Last time I checked....LOL...

I told you guys TT was bluffing on the kicker thing. No way he keeps 2.

I'm a little surprised the Packers have 5 RBs. Morency must be hurt worse than they let on.....

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Is the Fraud a Viking ?

I'm a little surprised the Packers have 5 RBs. Morency must be hurt worse than they let on.....

Actually, it's Herron that's hurt. He got scoped today and is expected to miss 3 weeks. With Jackson recovering from a concussion and Morency having missed the preseason, they need to have extra guys right now.

Merlin
09-01-2007, 11:56 PM
From what I have been reading, the Packers are looking for another LB. It appears that based on McGinn's comments that Grant is nothing more then a body. After the past few seasons at that position it doesn't "shock" me that we kept 5. I am a little shocked White got let go. I think he ran the ball the best out of the backs we kept. I wouldn't be shocked if we sign one more RB either. Wynn is in no way shape or form ready to start. Grant will probably get the nod against the Eagles now that Herron is out for that game. We won't cut him, trade him maybe. 3T gave up a pick so you have to know the guy isn't going anywhere unless we get a pick for him which is why his selection is such a mystery.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Is the Fraud a Viking ?

Actually, it's Herron that's hurt. He got scoped today and is expected to miss 3 weeks. With Jackson recovering from a concussion and Morency having missed the preseason, they need to have extra guys right now.

I figured Jackson would be ok....but if Jackson and Morency were both fine, and you keep Wynn you don't need 5. You then have 3 suited up, plus your fullback.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Not if you think Wynn is a prospect (e.g. a ways away from contributing).

Merlin
09-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I don't think we have 5 that will be active. Jackson "may" be ready. It appears Morency and Herron will be out. So that leaves us with Wynn, Grant and Hall (FB) right? I think we may pick up another one.