PDA

View Full Version : Packers acquired RB Ryan Grant from the Giants for an undisc

pack4to84
09-01-2007, 04:51 PM
a trade
http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2007/09/giants_trade_rb_grant_to_packe.html

been watching
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Grant had an excellent preseason (18 rushes for 90 yards and a touchdown), but the Giants didn't have room on the roster for him with Brandon Jacobs,

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 04:52 PM
a trade

Who's Ryan Grant ? Have a url link ?

pack4to84
09-01-2007, 04:55 PM
was trying to beat everyone with the post

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I know how good that feels to beat everyone to the punch. Congrats, you deserve this, man.

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Well, Wynn just missed the roster and it's not looking great for White or Miree...'

I don't know the player, yet somehow this makes me feel better about the running game. Probably just the kool-aid.

BallHawk
09-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Grant had 18 rushes for 90 yards and a touchdown in the preseason.

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Thompson just gave up a draft choice. :shock:

Did you feel the earth shake? That's the first earthquake in GB since.... :P :wink:

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Probably had something to do with Herron going down with the knee. I hate to give up draft picks becuase of the John Jolly, Mason Crosby types but this guy might have a chance. Hopefully he's better than Herron.

BooHoo
09-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Well, Wynn just missed the roster and it's not looking great for White or Miree...'

I don't know the player, yet somehow this makes me feel better about the running game. Probably just the kool-aid.

Maybe it is White that just lost his job!

Willard
09-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Probably had something to do with Herron going down with the knee. I hate to give up draft picks becuase of the John Jolly, Mason Crosby types but this guy might have a chance. Hopefully he's better than Herron.

If nothing else MM can interrogate him about our Week2 opponent.

KYPack
09-01-2007, 05:06 PM

Did you feel the earth shake? That's the first earthquake in GB since.... :P :wink:

I was just about to make an "earth shake" reference mesself, RG.

This guy must be superman reincarnated.

It's amazing TT didn't have his eye on another back that would be a "freebie".

BooHoo
09-01-2007, 05:08 PM
The guy we traded for must be superman or else TT is desperate.

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Alternatively, Thompson knows that however many sixth or seventh round picks he has at the beginning of the draft, he'll almost certainly have more by the end of the draft, and at the same time he figures this guy is probably better than whatever sixth or seventh round gem he's liable to take a chance on in the future. The success rate on those guys is fairly low after all.

gbpackfan
09-01-2007, 05:11 PM
I doubt it was desperation. He tried to give up Rayner but the Giants wouldnt bite. My guess is the draft pick was a 6th or 7th. The way TT trades down, we'll have plenty of other picks in those rounds.

gbpackfan
09-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Alternatively, Thompson knows that however many sixth or seventh round picks he has at the beginning of the draft, he'll almost certainly have more by the end of the draft, and at the same time he figures this guy is probably better than whatever sixth or seventh round gem he's liable to take a chance on in the future. The success rate on those guys is fairly low after all.

You read my mind.

GrnBay007
09-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Giants.com doesn't waste any time getting the player info taken off.

gbpackfan
09-01-2007, 05:13 PM
He's a pretty big boy at 6'1" and 218 lbs. Wonder about his speed?

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Giants.com doesn't waste any time getting the player info taken off.

Check NFL.com or espn.com...

Guiness
09-01-2007, 05:15 PM
It's a trade, not an FA.

:laugh: Bretsky keeps his sig :bs:

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:15 PM
It's a trade, not an FA.

:laugh: HW keeps his sig :bs:

You mean Bretsky, right? :P

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I need a FA signing by 2008

BooHoo
09-01-2007, 05:17 PM
I doubt it was desperation. He tried to give up Rayner but the Giants wouldnt bite. My guess is the draft pick was a 6th or 7th. The way TT trades down, we'll have plenty of other picks in those rounds.

It is just that we haven't seen this type of activity from TT before. Old dog, new tricks??????????
:idea:

Guiness
09-01-2007, 05:18 PM
edited....shhhh :oops:

retailguy
09-01-2007, 05:18 PM
I need a FA signing by 2008

If this team bombs, he might not be around in 2008 and then you'll have that sig FOREVER... :shock: :wink: :D

KYPack
09-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Why the trade?
The Giants and the Pack both had 8-8 record last seaon, but the Nats made the play-offs. Anyone they cut would only have to pass thru 1 or 2 teams before we could snake Ryan off the waiver wire.

TT might've burned a beloved draft pick for no reason on this one.

pack4to84
09-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Why the trade?
The Giants and the Pack both had 8-8 record last seaon, but the Nats made the play-offs. Anyone they cut would only have to pass thru 1 or 2 teams before we could snake Ryan off the waiver wire.

Because there where 15 teams that would have had a chance at claiming him.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Why the trade?

TT must have felt he was a step up from the other players that were going to be waived and he made a deal work. Again, I like to see him making something happen instead of just waiting to see how everyone else's cards are played. Right or wrong, to me that's a good sign

retailguy
09-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Why the trade?

TT must have felt he was a step up from the other players that were going to be waived and he made a deal work. Again, I like to see him making something happen instead of just waiting to see how everyone else's cards are played. Right or wrong, to me that's a good sign

Traitor! First sign of good things and you jump off the damn bus! :twisted:

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Why the trade?

On the other hand, this is probably the difference between drafing 10 guys instead of 11 guys next year before you consider compensatory picks. Given the fact that we lost at least two guys through free agency this year (Ahman Green and David Martin are both starting, aren't they?) we may well get more compensatory picks than we have in the last couple years. The formula is closely guarded, but it's something to do with (FA production out) - (FA production in), and somehow I imagine AG and DM are going to have better years than Frank Walker.

retailguy
09-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Why the trade?

On the other hand, this is probably the difference between drafing 10 guys instead of 11 guys next year before you consider compensatory picks. Given the fact that we lost at least two guys through free agency this year (Ahman Green and David Martin are both starting, aren't they?) we may well get more compensatory picks than we have in the last couple years. The formula is closely guarded, but it's something to do with (FA production out) - (FA production in), and somehow I imagine AG and DM are going to have better years than Frank Walker.

Nah, Walker is going to be a "pro-bowl" nickel corner... Just wait. You'll see. Green will be hurt in week 2 and David Martin took bubba's butter popcorn with him. :wink:

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Why the trade?

Our roster is so made over with young guys we don't need 9-10 new players every year.

I'd hope we get at least and extra 4th round pick next year.

All of Packerland should be cheering for AG and DM to have big years this year. We could get an extra 3rd round draft pick

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 06:30 PM
[quote="retailguy"]LOL; I'm still on the bus. But it's a good sign when I see a GM show he has stones. Even if it's a bad deal at least I know it's possible now.

There is ND to give us inside info on this guy ??

MadtownPacker
09-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Nah, Walker is going to be a "pro-bowl" nickel corner... Just wait. You'll see. Green will be hurt in week 2 and David Martin took bubba's butter popcorn with him. :wink:Walker is coming the same way Al Harris came in when Sherm brought him to GB for a #2 pick. How did that turn out?

retailguy
09-01-2007, 06:36 PM
LOL; I'm still on the bus. But it's a good sign when I see a GM show he has stones. Even if it's a bad deal at least I know it's possible now.

Here's the google cache of Giants.com

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:z72j6kmyX2EJ:www.giants.com/team/player.asp%3Fplayer_id%3D143+Ryan+Grant+running+ba ck&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Ryan Grant
Running Back
6-1, 218
Notre Dame

Originally signed as a rookie free agent on May 6, 2005…Finished his career ranked 11th in school history with 2,220 rushing yards. He was the 13th Notre Dame player to run for 2,000 yards…Averaged 3.9 yards a carry and scored 18 touchdowns…As a senior in 2005, started all nine games in which he played and rushed for 515 yards and scored five touchdowns…Rushed for 510 yards and three touchdowns as a junior…Had his best season as a sophomore in 2002, rushing for 1,085 yards with nine touchdowns. Became only the seventh player in Notre Dame history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season…Was named the New Jersey Player of the Year in 2000 by USA Today…Played at Don Bosco Prep High School in Ramsey, N.J, a short distance from Giants Stadium…Born Dec. 9, 1982.

Lurker64
Our roster is so made over with young guys we don't need 9-10 new players every year.

On the other hand, bringing in 9-10 hungry young guys every year means that you have an easier time cutting guys like Corey Rogers and C. Hunt. I mean, how long did we suffer with Torrance Marshall on the roster because we just didn't have anybody to replace him with?

MadtownPacker
Why the trade?

Why not the trade is more like it. The last 2 drafts have had multiple late rounders so it's not like there aint enough to spare.

Freak Out
09-01-2007, 06:47 PM

The mesozoic.

woodbuck27
09-01-2007, 06:54 PM

I was just about to make an "earth shake" reference mesself, RG.

This guy must be superman reincarnated.

It's amazing TT didn't have his eye on another back that would be a "freebie".

Possibly this guy:

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0023064

Marquis Weeks | #30 | RB - Cut by the Seattle Seahawks
Height: 5-10 Weight: 216 Age: 26 Born: 10/2/1980 Fort Ord , CA
College: Virginia - Experience: 2nd season High School: Conestoga HS

[b]GO PACKERS !

Guiness
09-01-2007, 07:01 PM

On the other hand, bringing in 9-10 hungry young guys every year means that you have an easier time cutting guys like Corey Rogers and C. Hunt. I mean, how long did we suffer with Torrance Marshall on the roster because we just didn't have anybody to replace him with?

Ouch. Tru dat.

anyone seem his friend (from JSO) around lately 8-)

woodbuck27
09-01-2007, 07:09 PM
LOL; I'm still on the bus. But it's a good sign when I see a GM show he has stones. Even if it's a bad deal at least I know it's possible now.

Here's the google cache of Giants.com

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:z72j6kmyX2EJ:www.giants.com/team/player.asp%3Fplayer_id%3D143+Ryan+Grant+running+ba ck&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Ryan Grant
Running Back
6-1, 218
Notre Dame

Originally signed as a rookie free agent on May 6, 2005…Finished his career ranked 11th in school history with 2,220 rushing yards. He was the 13th Notre Dame player to run for 2,000 yards…Averaged 3.9 yards a carry and scored 18 touchdowns…As a senior in 2005, started all nine games in which he played and rushed for 515 yards and scored five touchdowns…Rushed for 510 yards and three touchdowns as a junior…Had his best season as a sophomore in 2002, rushing for 1,085 yards with nine touchdowns. Became only the seventh player in Notre Dame history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season…Was named the New Jersey Player of the Year in 2000 by USA Today…Played at Don Bosco Prep High School in Ramsey, N.J, a short distance from Giants Stadium…Born Dec. 9, 1982.

and:

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0022984

Fritz
09-01-2007, 07:35 PM
When TT drafted some guy named James Jones in the third round, lot of us here wondered what the hell he was doing. Now that pick looks as if it may pan out. So I'm willing to give TT the benefit of the doubt. Besides, if it doesn't work out, not much is lost. Clearly TT and the scouts like this guy.

Packers4Ever
09-01-2007, 07:55 PM
[quote="pack4to84"]a trade
http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2007/09/giants_trade_rb_grant_to_packe.html

Nice job, 4 to 84 ! I know that feeling trying to hurry too, lol !
I think I might have scooped the entire rest of our family
this time and what better news could we get? Thanks again!

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Kind of interesting.

Grant had been told by the Giants he was going to make the team.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:27 PM
I saw that too HW. I wonder if they were trying to raise his value. Either they really knew he was good and they were going to keep him or they knew he had value and they wanted to raise it. Either way, NY knew they had something of value.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Kind of interesting.

Grant had been told by the Giants he was going to make the team.

I found this interesting too; clearly he was their #5 back, but they sounded confident enough that they would get a draft pick back to keep him on the roster.

TT might actually be trying to do the same with the DL now.

KYPack
09-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Why the trade?

Because there where 15 teams that would have had a chance at claiming him.

No.

After a player is cut, he is available to the team in his conference with the worst won/loss record from last year. Then it goes to the team with the next best record, etc.

We sit around 8 o 9 in the NFC.

I'm not gonna do the analysis, but we probably would get a good shot at Ryan. We would only be in competition with teams with a worse record than ours who had a hole at RB. That would be one or two teams. I think it's worth the risk to wait it out.

it also seems clear TT was offering Rayner to the Jints, but NY realized they could get Rayner off the wire, so they decided to gamble and play the wire.

I think TT should have done the same.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I found this interesting too; clearly he was their #5 back, I don't think it was clear but they sounded confident enough that they would get a draft pick back to keep him on the roster.

TT might actually be trying to do the same with the DL now.

I'm hoping we get a caller on our DT's. Cole is an OK player. A team like Indy or Seattle mgiht really need him and be willing to give up a TE or draft pick.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:42 PM
No.

After a player is cut, he is available to the team in his conference with the worst won/loss record from last year. Then it goes to the team with the next best record, etc.

We sit around 8 o 9 in the NFC.

I'm not gonna do the analysis, but we probably would get a good shot at Ryan. We would only be in competition with teams with a worse record than ours who had a hole at RB. That would be one or two teams. I think it's worth the risk to wait it out.

it also seems clear TT was offering Rayner to the Jints, but NY realized they could get Rayner off the wire, so they decided to gamble and play the wire.

I think TT should have done the same.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of this move but if he's a player and he makes Herron expendable after he gets healthy then I'm OK with it.

run pMc
09-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Surprised they didn't work out a trade of Rayner for this guy. Wonder if TT really had to give up a pick...not that he doesn't usually have a surplus of them. I agree bringing 10 guys in every year is probably not necessary. I've never heard of this kid, so I can't say whether this is a bad deal or not...I'm hoping it's a good deal for us.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 09:43 PM
http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/412369.aspx

Neat to see the NY Giants take on losing the RB; they clearly liked him and thought they were getting our K

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Feels liek the Giants played us. We called and told them we wanted him for Rayner. They told him they were going to keep him. We offered a pick and they took it with glee.

It's probably a late round pick and our team is getting deeper and deeper to the point where a dozen rookies are going to have a hard time sticking. It's not like we gave up a lot and it can be considered a collosal bad move but it reaks of desperation and seems a little bit iffy. He can dispell all of that by playing well and maybe it's like Wolf said "If you want a guy then get him" but I live on the edge and I'm OK a lot of times with losing one if I win the next two.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:45 PM
http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/412369.aspx

Neat to see the NY Giants take on losing the RB; they clearly liked him and thought they were getting our K

Good find, B. I was going to do something like this but I'm lazy. Thanks :)

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Feels liek the Giants played us. We called and told them we wanted him for Rayner. They told him they were going to keep him. We offered a pick and they took it with glee.

It's probably a late round pick and our team is getting deeper and deeper to the point where a dozen rookies are going to have a hard time sticking. It's not like we gave up a lot and it can be considered a collosal bad move but it reaks of desperation and seems a little bit iffy.

I'd agree that we might have been played and it might show desperation.

But consider this then. TT viewed our RB in a situation of desperation to the point where he'd give up a draft pick.

He must have liked this guy a lot to do that as opposed to claiming somebody's cut.

We might have got this guy after he was cut; might not have.

TT made something happen.

And if he sucks we'll lose a sixth to seventh round draft pick; bit flippin deal.
TT adds a few of those each year with his tradedowns.

Our RB situation reaks of desperation; at least TT is trying to do something about it.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:52 PM
They seem like they are a lot more chilled out than us. They are all wishing him luck and only one guy started freaking out about how this spells doom and gloom becuase it only helps in the future.

I like our group a lot better but those New Yorkers must have Heroine running through their veins the way they go with the flow.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:55 PM
It might work out OK. Usually when TT makes a move (Woodson, Pickett, Manuel, Kampman, Jenkins, Franks, ect. . . ) it turns out good more often than bad. I think it will probalby work out jsut because I trust TT but at the same time I always put a question mark by any move that looks like it mgiht be influenced by desperation. I believe desperation is the downfall of many GM's.

I'm also glad that it gets you guys off TT's back. I'm invested enough in TT that I take his criticism to heart now. I am to TT what RG was to Sherman. I might even be worse :)

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 09:58 PM
It might work out OK. Usually when TT makes a move (Woodson, Pickett, Manuel, Kampman, Jenkins, Franks, ect. . . ) it turns out good more often than bad. I think it will probalby work out jsut because I trust TT but at the same time I always put a question mark by any move that looks like it mgiht be influenced by desperation. I believe desperation is the downfall of many GM's.

I'm also glad that it gets you guys off TT's back. I'm invested enough in TT that I take his criticism to heart now. I am to TT what RG was to Sherman. I might even be worse :)

But after TT gets fired are you going to have flahbacks like RG does with Sherman ? :lol:

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 09:59 PM
I think I'm going to consider NY is to heroine as Wisconsin is to Crystal Meth :)

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 10:01 PM

Part of the reason TT gets my ire at times is because he seems to avoid bold moves. He might prove me wrong some day in a trade or strong free agent signing. While this isn't too bold, it's a start and gives me hope.

Whether this RB works out or not, I'm glad TT stepped out of what appears to me as his comfort zone and was active in making something happen

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 10:04 PM
But after TT gets fired are you going to have flahbacks like RG does with Sherman ? :lol:

I'm pretty sure I will. TT's going to have to flop pretty hard for me to jump off his train.

I was a Dendy fan but damn, that little fucker played soft coverage one too many times. I've give TT more rope than Dendy. He just does too many things well.

retailguy
09-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Part of the reason TT gets my ire at times is because he seems to avoid bold moves. He might prove me wrong some day in a trade or strong free agent signing. While this isn't too bold, it's a start and gives me hope.

Whether this RB works out or not, I'm glad TT stepped out of what appears to me as his comfort zone and was active in making something happen

I agree with this. If this guy can just be good enough to get rid of cement shoes Herron in the long run, I'm really happy with the deal. If he doesn't, well Ted will still get points from me for trying.

Some reporter said it was his opinion that we've got the worst RB's in the league, and I agree with him. Maybe they don't turn out to be the worst in the end, however, the odds are pretty damn good we'll be in the lower 25% of the league today. I don't like that, and am happy that SOMETHING was done, even if it was 6 months later than it should have been.

The Shadow
09-01-2007, 10:10 PM
"...TT gets my ire at times is because he seems to avoid bold moves"

umm,.....Charles Woodson?

vince
09-01-2007, 10:12 PM
A selection from NFL Draft Scout on Grant:

Body Structure
He has a very well-developed, athletic physique with defined upper body muscles, tight waist and hips, good bubble, thick thighs and calves and low body fat.

General Report

Athletic Ability
Ryan is a well-built athlete, with good quickness, agility, and balance. He shows good strength and leg drive, fluid change of direction agility and flexibility. He gets good acceleration coming off the snap.

Football Sense
This is a very focused player who quickly digests the playbook. He learns quickly and boasts a 4.0 grade point average, both in high school and college. He is a double major (sociology/computer applications) scheduled to graduate with his class in May 2005. He has one of the best Wonderlic test scores of any running back in the 2005 draft class.

Character
This is a solid kid. He comes from a split, but very supportive family, with a large fan base among uncles and aunts. He is well-educated, articulate and the type that will one day run a corporation. He is respected by team and staff, responsible, humble and very mature for a player of his age.

Competitiveness
He’s the consummate team player, never complaining when Julius Jones returned to take away a bulk of Ryan’s carries in 2003. He is a hard-nose player, real tough and highly competitive.

Work Habits
He shows a solid work ethic, year round. He is a student of the game, putting in considerable hours in the film room to prepare for the game. He does more than is asked in the weight room and is very team-oriented (see Julius Jones situation in 2003). He leads by example and has a lot of pride in his performance (his own harshest critic).

Athletic Report

Initial Quickness
He generates a quick start and hits the holes in a hurry. He shows quick cutting ability and does not need to gear down approaching the line. His starting burst allows him to gain advantage getting into the second level.

Acceleration/Burst
You can see the burst in his turns and the steady acceleration in the open. He does a good job of varying his speed, showing good cut back ability to bounce off tackle. When taking the ball around the edge, he has enough top-end speed to challenge the secondary.

Instincts/Balance
The thing that you notice immediately about Ryan is his change of direction agility and body control. When the rush lane is clogged, he’s quick to redirect and bounce outside. He shows the vision needed to see threats and plays the hand that he is dealt. While he can explode past the line, he shows patience setting up his blocks.

Inside Running
He shows a good burst in his turns, suddenness in his change of direction and good vision. He can find the hole and hit it quickly, but will sometimes run too upright, resulting in him being susceptible to ankle tackles (needs to generate better knee lift).

Outside Running
He bounces outside with good vision and pick-&-slide ability. When he goes wide, he shows enough confidence in his speed to know that he can consistently turn the corner.

Elusiveness
He is not a “make you miss” type, but when he gets a sudden burst off the snap, he shows quick cutting agility. He can also make the jump cut, showing the vision to avoid. The thing that sets him apart from most is his intelligence, as he is quick to make good decisions.

Tackle-Breaking Strength
He has good strength, but when he runs high in his stance, his base gets a little too narrow. He has enough leg drive to run through arm tackles and very seldom gets knocked back through the rush lanes when he keeps his pad level low.

Tendency to Fumble
He showed much better ball security (one fumble on 143 chances) in 2003, but did have ball security problems in 2002 (six fumbles, four lost on 261 carries). He can handle pitches and generally runs with the ball secured in both hands.

Receiving Skills
He has good hands and shows concentration on the ball, but the team rarely involves their backs in the passing game. In practices, it appears that he has natural hands, as he can snatch away from the body’s frame.

Route Running
He runs decent routes, but they are rounded (makes soft angle cuts). However, he knows how to settle in the zone and set up the cornerback in man coverage.

Blocking Ability
He is not called upon to lead block much, but showed sting behind his hits. He is a high- intensity type with some nasty in him. He has the hip snap needed to block in pass protection and will generally get a piece of the linebacker when picking up the blitz.

Summation
Ryan is a solid character type, who comes from a supportive big-family atmosphere. He is an articulate individual who boasted a 4.0 grade point average in high school and at Notre Dame. While at Don Bosco Prep, he rushed for 1963 yards with 26 TDs and made 61 tackles with seven interceptions as a senior tailback and cornerback. He also excelled in track, clocking 10.7 in the 100-meter dash during his prep days. He played in five games as a true freshmen for the Irish in 2001, suffering an elbow injury vs. Navy that would sideline him for half the season. He is only the seventh player in Notre Dame history to rush for 1000 yards in a season (1085 yards) in 2002, scoring nine times on 261 chances (4.2 avg). He is a punishing straight-line runner who is hard to tackle because of his size, showing explosive speed through the line. He possesses a great work ethic and is willing to play through injuries. A student of the game who always seeks to learn as much as he can, he is a fluid, smooth runner with good vision and field instincts.

He’s made good strides in staying low in his pads, as when he runs upright, his base gets narrow, making him susceptible to ankle tackles. When he runs at the proper pad level, you rarely see him pushed back in the rush lane. He can bounce off tackle and cut back, but even with his speed, he is more of a move-oriented runner with the leg drive and strength to absorb punishment up the gut. When turning the corner, he has the ability to cut back through the lanes and accelerate, showing the legitimate speed needed to challenge the secondary. In practices, he catches the ball cleanly, but the Notre Dame system does not involve their backs much in the passing game. He does take soft angles in his routes, but does a decent job of settling in the soft spot of the zone. He is not asked to lead block much, but shows good form and hand punch to sustain in blitz pick-up. You won’t get excited watching film on this kid, as the team system relies upon their backs to move the chains rather than break off the big play (longest career run was only 48 yards), but do not think that this kid does not have the speed and burst to turn on the burners in the open field. He has excellent size for the position, is a well-built athlete and shows above average quickness, agility, and balance.

He generates good strength and explosion. In blocking, he is tough and has a little nasty in him. He has excellent pick-&-slide agility inside, with real good vision. He bounces outside with good change of direction agility and vision. He runs hard and has the ability to break tackles and make the defenders miss. Overall, this is a solid, hard-working blue collar type that could move up the draft charts quite a bit, if he returns to 2002 form now that he has reclaimed his starting job.
I remember liking him at ND. He could be a classic TT steal.

retailguy
09-01-2007, 10:17 PM

Umm, I could give you 25 examples where he DID NOT pull the trigger...

Try again.....

What Bretsky said was REASONABLE and FAIR.

The Shadow
09-01-2007, 10:19 PM

Try again.....

Mike McCarthy!

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Try again.....

Dude, you need to put down the Vodka. We're all getting along but your tone is just confrontational and completely out of the blue with the way things have been going tonight. All he said was that Woodson was a bold, big move. The Bears havn't made too many big bold moves the last 5 years and they look ok. Sheesh.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 10:37 PM

If you look at the whole situation Shadow, Woodsen wasn't at all bold IMO.
It was almost necessary.

TT went into that free agency period 35,000,000 under the salary cap.

He signed Manuel and Pickett to pretty fair deals that didn't eat up too much of our remaining cap space. Either he failed to land other free agents or he just sat on his hands while most of the talent in free agency signed with other teams. Personally, I don't think he was ready to go compete and didn't realize how quickly the top players would sign and how fast they'd sign. Quality fell off the board like Chris Hope and Will Weatherspoon very fast. And here we were, still with that loot of money after Manuel signed for about 2MIL per year and Pickett was around 4MIL per year.

TT had too much money and not many spots to spend it; he even had a load of money under the cap after the Woodsen signing. So he pursued Lavar Arrington and Charles Woodsen hard with the purpose of completely frontloading each deal with the main goal of acquiring one quality player, eating up short term cap space, and allowing flexibility for the future. With what was left quality wise, and the huge amount of money TT had, to me this was way too much of a no brainer as opposed to a risk.

Lurker64
09-01-2007, 10:38 PM

*snip*

Interesting, what do the numbers mean?

The Shadow
09-01-2007, 10:39 PM

It was almost necessary.

He signed Manuel and Pickett to pretty fair deals that didn't eat up too much of our remaining cap space. Either he failed to land other free agents or he just sat on his hands while most of the talent in free agency signed with other teams. Personally, I don't think he was ready to go compete and didn't realize how quickly the top players would sign and how fast they'd sign. Quality fell off the board like Chris Hope and Will Weatherspoon very fast. And here we were, still with that loot of money after Manuel signed for about 2MIL per year and Pickett was around 4MIL per year.

TT had too much money and not many spots to spend it; he even had a load of money under the cap after the Woodsen signing. So he pursued Lavar Arrington and Charles Woodsen hard with the purpose of completely frontloading each deal with the main goal of acquiring one quality player, eating up short term cap space, and allowing flexibility for the future. With what was left quality wise, and the huge amount of money TT had, to me this was way too much of a no brainer as opposed to a risk.

A bold move was asked for.
A bold move was supplied.
Now it wasn't bold enough???

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 10:39 PM

Try again.....

Mike McCarthy!

What was bold about MM ? He was an assistant coach. An offensive coordinator who had the reputation of coaching QB's up. A good idea since we had Aaron Rodgers and Favre seemed to need more direction. He led an effective offense in New Orleans. He interviewed well. He was TT's #1 choice. So he hired him.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 10:41 PM

It was almost necessary.

A bold move was asked for.
A bold move was supplied.
Now it wasn't bold enough???

When did I ask for a bold move ????

I said sometimes he seems to avoid bold moves

retailguy
09-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Dude, you need to put down the Vodka. We're all getting along but your tone is just confrontational and completely out of the blue with the way things have been going tonight. All he said was that Woodson was a bold, big move. The Bears havn't made too many big bold moves the last 5 years and they look ok. Sheesh.

Look, I love how you just figure all this stuff out... One signing doesn't make the guy BOLD. It doesn't make him anything. He traded for a running back that has promise but has proved very little. It's exactly what you'd expect him to do. Other than trading a draft choice for a player, and that's the FIRST time he's done that, its pretty predictable for ole' Ted.

As to the move, you're right, I like it. It doesn't make Ted bold though. Not even close. We'll see what happens.

vince
09-01-2007, 10:52 PM

*snip*

Interesting, what do the numbers mean?
I don't know Lurk. I just copied it from Packersnews.com forum. I thought it was a pretty comprehensive report.

This guy is the fastest back we have... Obviously, it takes more than track speed, but Grant can run, that's for sure.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Look, I love how you just figure all this stuff out... One signing doesn't make the guy BOLD. It doesn't make him anything. He traded for a running back that has promise but has proved very little. It's exactly what you'd expect him to do. Other than trading a draft choice for a player, and that's the FIRST time he's done that, its pretty predictable for ole' Ted.

As to the move, you're right, I like it. It doesn't make Ted bold though. Not even close. We'll see what happens.

Retailguy, you've been stomping your feet and throwing out sarcastic remarks about how TT would never part with his draft picks all off season and now your calling this predictable like you could have seen it coming. Trust me, RG, I could go dig up a about 10 comments by you that would completely irrealify you right now but we both know that I don't need to. You are being completely stubborn and unreasonable now. The move is looking better and better the more I read about the guy and he did exactly what you thought he would never do. Just admit it and move on. Bold or not, it was a move designed to help right now and you never expected that (again, I could dig all of this up but I don't need to and you know it)

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 11:12 PM
We're getting a lot of the same sentiment from Giants fans that we got from Carolina fans about Jarrett Bush last year and Bush turned out to be a pretty good player.

I was skeptical because I thought this move was a desperation move. However, TT hasn't been prone to such moves so maybe this was just a good move. It's looking more like the latter than the former as we dig up info on the guy.

Bretsky
09-01-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm OK with desperation moves; they scream of Win Now Baby.

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm OK with desperation moves; they scream of Win Now Baby.

Only problem is that yesterdays WIN NOW BABY moves are 2004's 4th and 26.

Merlin
09-01-2007, 11:21 PM
When TT drafted some guy named James Jones in the third round, lot of us here wondered what the hell he was doing. Now that pick looks as if it may pan out. So I'm willing to give TT the benefit of the doubt. Besides, if it doesn't work out, not much is lost. Clearly TT and the scouts like this guy.

Clearly 3T and the scouts liked a lot of players. Not so clear is what he brings to the team. If he was their #5 then either that says our roster sucks or he is now our what? #4 #5?

I agree. I'm not a big fan of this move but if he's a player and he makes Herron expendable after he gets healthy then I'm OK with it.

What is your beef with Herron? What has he not done that he has been asked to do? Just because you don't like a guy doesn't mean he should be cut. Herron has been the one lone RB the past two seasons + who didn't get injured and produced on the field when called upon to do so. You don't cut players like Herron unless you damn sure have someone better. Right now, a rookie is not better the Herron regardless of what you may think. You can't put NFL experience into someone who doesn't have it. Morency isn't even an option right now. We should have kept White because I am not convinced this guy is any better then he was.

Merlin
09-01-2007, 11:28 PM

Retailguy, you've been stomping your feet and throwing out sarcastic remarks about how TT would never part with his draft picks all off season and now your calling this predictable like you could have seen it coming. Trust me, RG, I could go dig up a about 10 comments by you that would completely irrealify you right now but we both know that I don't need to. You are being completely stubborn and unreasonable now. The move is looking better and better the more I read about the guy and he did exactly what you thought he would never do. Just admit it and move on. Bold or not, it was a move designed to help right now and you never expected that (again, I could dig all of this up but I don't need to and you know it)

And I could dig up post after post of your bias towards ANYTHING 3T does. You can read all you want about the guy, have you seen him play? I didn't think so as I am sure many of us haven't. Scouting reports that are posted are all fine and dandy but does it translate to the field? From what I have been reading, there is nothing there that says he should be on the roster and Herron cut (per your previous asinine statement). He looks to be a running back with the same crap written about him as a lot of running backs. This was not a bold move in the sense that 3T is trying to help us WIN NOW. This was an ego move by 3T because I am sure there is someone out there 10 times better than this guy that we ignored because 3T had a hard on for him. I don't trust 3T or our scouts after the Harrell pick. Just because another team was thinking on drafting the guy doesn't mean we should have taken him. He was not the BPA nor was Rodgers when he was selected. But that's all we hear is how they were both the BPA when 3T drafted them and now because he gav up a draft pick you think it WAS bold? Um no, more like stupid. More then likely the guy could have been gotten off the wire.

Get the hell off of people who disagree with you. It's clear your bias is so far out there for 3T it isn't even funny. We get it, 3T is God, yadda yadda yadda. As a fan I find it reprehensible that ANYONE in their right mind would have such a woody for 3T. He has done some things right and don't some things wrong. And the things he has done wrong are what have cost us games. "I like who we have here" "I hope we are a winner". No thanks, I will pin my hopes on the team and McCarthy and not the guy who has no clue that there is more then defense on a team.

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2007, 11:31 PM
I have never been a big fan of Herron, I don't like his blocking and blitz pickup and I think he is slow. He did show good effort getting the ball into the endzone. I just think he is a guy and I think White could have easily replaced him. I think this guy could pick up the playbook and also replace Herron without missing a beat

RashanGary
09-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Welcome to the conversation Merlin. I was just thinking that the only thing missing was complete fucking moronic blabber and now you've added it for us. You get the missing link award for the night. :)

Seriously man, what has Herron done besides personifying mediocrity to make you think he is a valuable piece to this team? God damn, I'm trying to chill out and love everyone but how can I when you post this shit :)

Merlin
09-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the conversation Merlin. I was just thinking that the only thing missing was complete fucking moronic blabber and now you've added it for us. You get the missing link award for the night. :)

Seriously man, what has Herron done besides personifying mediocrity to make you think he is a valuable piece to this team? God damn, I'm trying to chill out and love everyone but how can I when you post this shit :)

Nice, what I post is "fucking moronic blabber"? How does that chill out and "love" anyone? Can you explain that?

With that said, I never said Herron was all world. But the guy does his job when asked to do it. You have ZERO reason to believe this guy will be better, absolutely none. With the exception of the opinion of a sports writer. And I am spewing "fucking moronic blabber"?

Have a nice day jackass.

swede
09-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Here's to hoping the new kid works out! :glug:

And Justin, "irrealify" is a great new word. Apparently it means to provide illumination that undermines the credibility of another.

I'm in a great mood tonight. I have no arguments with my fellow men and I share the love a fine football team with all of you.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/king_rodney.jpg

"Can't we all just get along?"

Merlin
09-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Swede you cheeky bastard, how the hell ya been?

RashanGary
09-02-2007, 12:02 AM
And Justin, "irrealify" is a great new word. Apparently it means to provide illumination that undermines the credibility of another.

I was going to qualify that word by saying I invented it. I couldn't do it because: one, it took away from the flow of the paragraph and two, it would have taken away the oppertunity for someone like you to have fun with it :) You're welcome by the way :)

swede
09-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Fine, thanks!

I think the Badger win and yesterday's win by the hometown HS team have me in a good. mood.

I've been reading over the cuts.

I thought Alcorn was a surprise cut at TE. Either he was a blocking liability or he just got caught up in numbers.

Merlin
09-02-2007, 12:08 AM
I wasn't too high Alcorn him but I thought he would make the team. It could be that we cut him to see who else was cut and then sign him to the PS or something. I am waiting for Rayner to get picked up, that had to be a tough call. I would have kept both of em and see how the season went. I am confident in Crosby and will be until November, then I will hold my breath and hope he doesn't choke. If Franks keeps playing the way he has, we don't need another TE!

swede
09-02-2007, 12:16 AM
The Packers GM, I forget what his name is, would have taken quite a bit of heat for keeping two kickers. :lol:

Do you think the new RB has a chance to be good, or are you down on that move, Merlin?

RashanGary
09-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm just screwin around Merlin. Herron has been pretty solid. You always want to replace him though, IMO.

There were times that I thought maybe he wsa going to take that next step adn I do think he improved his explosiveness this year but from none to very little just wasn't enough.

Your tone is typically very strong so I felt like giving it back strong.

I see what you mean though, this offense needs more guys how KNOW what is going on, esspecially on 3rd downs when Brett can get killed.

In the end though, I think replacing Herron with a guy who is more of a threat is a good thing.

Merlin
09-02-2007, 12:22 AM
The Packers GM, I forget what his name is, would have taken quite a bit of heat for keeping two kickers. :lol:

Do you think the new RB has a chance to be good, or are you down on that move, Merlin?

Not down on it, I knew we would do something. I didn't think we would use a draft pick though. It's possible he would have been available anyway. Although I did read something where he was quoted as saying that he was told made the Giants roster this season so maybe that's the reason for the draft pick. I really don't know a lot about the guy. We seem to bring in RB's on a rotating basis but since we used a draft pick , you have to believe the guy is going to be around for awhile.

swede
09-02-2007, 12:22 AM
I really like Herron as the career backup. Hard worker. No ego. Competent, apparently in understanding how to pick up blitzes and protect the QB.

We're in trouble if he's starting more than a couple games imo.

Merlin
09-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Herron is a solid back and a good backup. He isn't a full time starter but he get's the job done in spot duty. With all of the issues we have had at RB, keeping Herron is a must because of his experience and his performance when it counts. Wynn isn't the answer. I suspect he is a project. If they kept White, you had a legitimate option at running back because he runs downhill hard. Morency I think can be a good starter, the problem is he is appearing to have a glass jaw and that's not good for your #1 RB. I think Morency ran better last season in the ZBS then Green did. Morency hit the holes so I wasn't concerned when he was basically listed as our starter. Jackson I haven't been real high on but he is a significant upgrade over Wynn. Herron is a good 3rd down back like TF. The difference is that Herron played better in the full time role then did Fischer. I think Fischer is a better 3rd down back then Herron, but they are similar.

Herron should never be a KR/PR for us, he lacks the speed.