PDA

View Full Version : Chris Havel Chat

motife
05-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Larry, Ashland: Good Evening Chris, A great weekend for football fans. A couple of questions, do you think the Walker trade was the best option and do you see Barnett moving to the outside with Hodge going to the middle?

ch: Hi Larry, I'll begin with your questions. I know that some people believe the Packers made a mistake by trading Javon Walker. I think the trade had decent value. It wasn't a fire sale. Now, does this set a bad precedent? I don't think so. It's a case-by-case situation with disgruntled players. Walker was openly critical and clearly a malcontent in Green Bay. If he didn't want to be here the worst thing the Packers could've done was keep him against his will and hope for the best. That's what happened with Mike McKenzie and it worked out poorly. GM Ted Thompson's best move to avoid situations like the Javon Walker case is to draft players that really and truly love football. Hardcore guys such as A.J. Hawk that didn't sign a pro baseball contract ala Walker. As for Adbul Hodge out of Iowa, I really like the pick. Does it mean the Packers will move Nick Barnett to the outside? I don't think so. I do believe Hodge could bridge the gap between now and whenever Brady Poppinga is healthy and ready to start at the strong-side linebacker. Hodge gives immediate talent and depth, he'll be hellfire on special teams, and he's a heavy hitter. There's so much to like here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin P, Terre Haute, IN: Way too early to tell, but I've heard numerous 'experts' on the radio today, and nearly all of them have been very complimentary of the Pack's draft picks. Tommy Jackson on ESPN said over the weekend that Hawk was the best defensive player in the draft. Coming from him, a former NFL LB, that's pretty high praise. What's your take?

ch: Tom Jackson, the former Broncos linebacker, isn't the most sensational analyst but he is one of the very, very best in the business. He knows his stuff. If Jackson likes Hawk that's a pretty strong recommendation. Then again, a lot of NFL GMs felt that Hawk was THE BEST defensive player in this draft. Did I want Vernon Davis? Yes. But do I understand why the Packers selected Hawk? Absolutely. There wasn't another comparable linebacker in the draft, and that unit was awful. The Packers' linebackers combined - that's right - COMBINED - for a grand total of 4 1/2 sacks (two by Poppinga), 2 forced fumbles and 2 interceptions. That was for the 2005 season. That's an absolute void of playmaking. The Packers couldn't live with that forever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAY, RAPID CITY S.D.: CHRIS, I AGREED WITH YOU THAT VERNON DAVIS WAS AN AWFULLY INTRIGUING OPTION WITH THE 5TH PICK. HOWEVER, AFTER HAVING SOME TIME TO DIGEST THE DRAFT AND ALL OF TED'S WHEELING AND DEALING, I AM EXCITED BY THE VERY REAL PROBABLITY THAT THE PACKERS HAVE IMPROVED DEFENSIVELY AND THEY WILL HAVE A "NASTIER" AND MORE PHYSICAL ATTITUDE ON THAT SIDE OF THE BALL. THAT ATTITUDE(AND BEING ABLE TO BACK IT UP) HAS BEEN MISSING THE LAST FEW SEASONS AND COULD GO A LONG WAY TOWARD BRINGING HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE BACK TO LAMBEAU. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON A "NEW ATTITUDE" FOR THE PACKERS DEFENSE?

ch: When Ted Thompson talked about acquiring "Packer People" in free agency and the draft, I have to admit I was cynical and skeptical. Now I am beginning to see what he meant by that. He is trying to create an honest to goodness football culture here. He wants players that love the game, that will work at the game, and that live for the game. Look, if a draft pick that loves the game gets injured, it's more likely he'll work as hard as it takes to get back. If a draft pick isn't necessarily in love with the game, he might not make it back. Also, these things tend to add up and gain momentum piece by piece. Get enough players in the locker room that want to talk football, lift weights, work out and talk football some more - like the Super Bowl champion 1996 Packers - and you have something. By taking even one questionable character - and there's never any guarantees - it erodes and undermines that "football culture" Thompson is trying to instill. Vernon Davis is a wonderful player and he'd have been sweet in a Packers uniform, but A.J. Hawk is the real deal - according to the pundits - and he plays a position where it was Nick Barnett and no one else.

Staciebelle, Warsaw, IN: Chris, The mood seems to be chaging in Green Bay again. Sherman did not put a tough team on the field but Thompson seems intent to build a tough one like Wolf did. The coach and GM seem more relaxed and confident now. The assistants seem to be fired up about thier players. The players Ted is bringing in actually want to be Packers and it seems we are getting back to real talent procurment rather than the feeble attempts at the draft that Sherman made. I don't mean to slam Sherman here but the organization seems to be back in sync now after the 5 year coach/GM experiment with Sherman. Does it seem that way to you?

ch: Check out my column for today's Packers Premium subscribers. That was exactly my point. No more would you expect Thompson to be a great coach than you should expect Sherman to be a great GM. It doesn't work like that. Thompson studied this draft and he relied on John Dorsey and Co., and that allowed the Packers to trade down with confidence knowing that they could add more picks but still get a player of comparable or superior skill and ability. Thompson outdid himself this weekend. The contrast between the previous regime and this one is striking.

Mike, Atlanta: Good Evening Chris, Your answer to Kevin about the linebackers makes me think that Barnett should either move outside or sit on the bench. With stats like that from he and his fellow linebackers last year, I certainly would be open to Abdul Hodge taking over the middle for the Packers.

ch: Those stats are embarrassing, and it has been that way at the linebacker position for years. Rest assured that the presence of Hawk and Hodge and Poppinga will make Barnett better.

Tod, Denver: Hey Chris: The best the Packers can hope for is that Brett returns to form, loves MM, and this year they get close to 8-8. If so, Brett may return for another year -- still playing well -- and the GNBP have a potentially good shot at a run in '07. There's no way possible they turn this thing around this year, is there?

ch: The defense will be better, and the special teams return and coverage units should improve, also. But there are still major questions at receiver (Donald Driver and a bunch of potential), running back (an injury-ravaged group), the offensive line (a lot of new blood but it's still unproven and untested blood), plus the fact that as bad as some fans wanted to see Aaron Rodgers play last season, they have to hope and pray that Brett Favre's miraculous consecutive games streak will stay intact. It's nothing against Rodgers, but Favre gives them the best shot to win. That's especially true if Favre and Mike McCarthy and Jeff Jagodzinski can be on the same page.

Ginger, Evansville: Chris, I don't know about you but Hawk, Barnett, Hodge, Poppinga, Manning and Ben Taylor look like a pretty impressive LB group and that has been one of the worst units on any team in the league over the last few years. How do you feel about the unit now?

ch: I think it went from the Packers' worst to first over a single weekend.

Brittany, Chicago: Chris, I know there are probably a lot of people upset that Green Bay didn't take a playmaker like V. Davis over Hawk but no one know if it was agood move or not. If Davis turns out to be the Randy Moss of Tight Ends and Hawk turns out an average Joe like Vonnie Holliday then Ted blew it. On the other hand if Hawk is the next Urlacher or Ray Lewis or Nitchske and Davis is another Ricky Dudly then Ted T. is a hero. Probably they will both be exceptional players and in that case the toughness and old fashioned Packer style that Hawk will bring may mean more to the team than Davis' could bring but we will all have to wait and see. In the meantime lets cut Ted some slack. I think he has done a superb job this last week and needs some support rather than constant ridicule from the fans. Thanks Chris.

ch: You are absolutely correct in your analysis. If Hawk is the real deal it's a great pick. If not, it's a mistake. There's nothing to suggest Hawk won't be terrific, though, and the Packers' LBers really were a motley crew in recent years. I know the offense needs playmakers but Thompson probably was wise - and again I was a Vernon Davis backer - to fix every level of the defense. He added Ryan Pickett and re-signed Aaron Kampman on the DL, he now has a trio of cornerbacks in Al Harris, Charles Woodson and Ahmad Carroll that can play, and he has three safeties in Marquand Manuel, Nick Collins and Mark Roman that are at least steady. And Collins really could be something special. So after all that, it would've been difficult to have that potential wrapped around ineptitude at LBer.

Cameron, Phoenix, AZ: Hey Chris, I have to say this was the most exciting Packer draft I've ever watched. I think Hawk was just an outstanding pick for the Packers...I can already picture Kampenman And Hawk leading the way in the weight room. The way the Packers aquired 5 more extra picks is what really had me pumped though! Just an outstanding well planned draft by the Packers. All this said what's your feelings on how the Pack faired addressing their primary needs?

ch: They need a punter and a placekicker. They need another weapon on offense unless Robert Ferguson and Co. emerge to support Donald Driver. The offensive line has a great deal of quality players, but also a tremendous amount of question marks. The defensive line is good, but Colin Cole, Cullen Jenkins, Kenny Peterson and especially Michael Montgomery need to deliver. If Montgomery, the second-year player, can be something at end opposite Aaron Kampman on early downs, it would give KGB a breather and increase the Packers' ability to stop the run. As for the football culture being created here, it makes sense, and quite frankly I can't wait to see the rookies in person at this weekend's mini-camp.

Brandt, Indy: Do you think A.J. Hawk is really that excited to be here or was he just trying to saying the right thing. If he was sincere I think he is going to have an immediate impact, because we'll have a true leader on both sides of the ball now!

ch: C'mon, Brandt. The kid's Midwest tough and he knows all about the legacy of Ray Nitschke and the Green Bay Packers. I think he was being sincere because this really and truly is a great environment for him.

paul, mason city ia.: What are the chances the packers will try to sign Ross Verba. How much interest do you think Verba will generate with teams like Tampa Bay and Arizona, and how much cap space do they have.

ch: I wouldn't sign Ross Verba if he was the last offensive lineman on the planet. Other than that. ...

Mark, San Fran: Chris -- The Packer special teams were not so special during the Sherman era, to put it charitably. With the exception of Hawk and Colledge, the biggest impact this rookie class probably will have in the 2006 season is on special teams. Can we expect that this year's rookies will provide an upgrade in this area or are we destined to lose 20 yards of field position everytime we change possession, as in the past?

ch: Ted Thompson spoke of the Pittsburgh Steelers' brand of football - tough defense and rugged special teams - and that's what he's going for here. The return game, as I'd written ad nauseum, was a joke under Mike Sherman's direction. Antonio Chatman? Get real. And don't underrated Abdul Hodge. The Vikings took Iowa's Chad Greenway in the first round, but it very well could be that the Packers got the better Iowa linebacker in this draft. But to your point about special teams, the linebackers are always the heart of it, and it's nice to have big, strong and fast defensive backs to jam the gunners and to blow up the jammers. The athleticism, toughness and speed - at least if you believe what you hear from Thompson and the Packers - is significantly upgraded.

Sam, Dallas, Texas: Chris, The most critical decision by Thompson this weekend may have been to not draft either Leinart and Cutler. Should this be interpreted as a vote of confidence for Rodgers? Thanks.

ch: No. It should be interpreted as an honest appraisal of an awful linebacker corps, and the fact that No. 4 is back in the saddle.

Kevin P, Terre Haute, IN: Chris: I never saw anything on the draft, but do you think TT tried to move up to #2 to go after Bush? After he fell to New Orleans I would have thought the Pack would've made an effort to get there. If they did, do you know what they offered?

ch: I believe it has been reported that the Packers did indeed talk to New Orleans about moving up. Look, the RB corps features talented backs but all three are coming off injuries. It was too bad that the Detroit Lions snatched Wisconsin's Brian Calhoun with the 74th pick - one spot ahead of the Packers - because he would look really good in Green Bay right now. Oh, well, you can't win 'em all.

Larry, Ashland: Chris, You mentioned Carroll in the same breath as good cornerbacks, was that a typo?? The best case senerio is that he will have another year to mature, keep his eyes open and mouth shut and learn from a pro bowler such as Woodson. Carroll has the tools but that is not alone is not good enough.

ch: Perhaps Carroll will continue the glacier-paced progression he has shown. I don't know. At least he's out of the starting lineup and relegated to the nickel and dime packages, which is good, plus the humility might be the best thing for him. And don't forget about Mike Hawkins. The guy is talented and he can run like the wind. Perhaps he'll give Carroll a run for his money.

Bill, Saratoga,CA: Chris, I am curious as to how you are able to rate these guys as great for the football culture already? AJ Hawk is probably the only name player. How sure are you there aren't any Walkers or McKenzie's in the group. You sound pretty jazzed about a group of guys that most analysts are mediocre on and they haven't even been in camp yet. Let's not put TT in the HOF yet. THe only real guy that we got that could probably start on most teams is Hawk. The rest are unknowns...simple as that. I now by your tone that you wont answer the rest of my questions as usual, but please respond to this. I don't want to see another GM go 4 years before anyone questions his picks when I continue to see a number of questions marks. OH , and by the way, I live in the Bay Area and can tell you Charles Woodson has the potential to throw a coach under the bus as well as anyone.

ch: Let's look at the players selected. A.J. Hawk is a workout warrior and an all-football, all the time type of guy. Daryn Colledge lived in the weight room at Boise State. Same thing with Iowa LB Abdul Hodge - a fire-eater that loves to hit. Will Blackmon, the CB from Boston College, showed great unselfishness by agreeing to play receiver his senior year even though it cost him greatly in this weekend's draft. Greg Jennings, the WR from Western Michigan, caught 56, 74 and 98 passes the past three seasons. He is as productive as they get, and he has a natural feel for the game. Jennings' father is a pastor and his mother is a minister. Again, a high-character player with a small-town background that lives, eats and sleeps football. Same with Blackmon. It doesn't mean they'll be great, but it sure is a good place to start.

Hoosierjohn, Fort Wayne, IN: Chris, Vic Carruci on NFL.com said Jennings is the most polished rookie in this reciever class and will possibly be better than Santonio Homes. He also said Daryn College is tough as nails and I have seen several scouts say he is the best guard prospect in the draft and could start immediately. Adding this to Hawk could make this draft truly special and you have to assume several of the other 9 guys will make it also. The team was really replentished it appears in one weekend. Now do you think Brett will be in a good mood coming in this weekend and don't you think it is great that McCarthy has Brett being a part of the offseason unlike the last few years of the former regime?

ch: Brett needs to be here, at least for part of the minicamps, to set the proper tone as the leader. Carucci is a strong reporter and if he likes Jennings I have got to think he's probably right. Colledge, as I said, lived in the weight room and is a genuinely tough dude. One of my best friends is the sports editor at the Idaho Statesman and he loves the kid. I know every draft pick comes with a disclaimer, but at least on paper the thing looks solid, if not strong.

Zach, Phoenix, AZ: Chris - I read some draft day grades on Sports Illustrated and was pleased witht he response. Not grades on the actual picks, but on the coverage. I was pleased to see that William Henderson got an A for his analysis on ESPN. My favorite was when he called out all of the critics, mainly Mel Kiper about bashing on his new rookie teammates. He pointed out that Kiper said that he was the worst of the Packers draft picks when he was drafted, and look at him now. He said that any rookie that got picked this year can do just as good as him, if not better. I can't say how glad I am that he's still with the Packers. Do you have any clues as to what his post football days include, possibly commentating or does he have interest in some sort of position with the Packers?

ch: Henderson was strong over the weekend. My only advice: Sit up a bit straighter young man. It is, after all, national cable TV - not a chit-chat in your buddy's living room.

Carl Gerbschmidt, Elk Mound: Havs, which of the wildcard second day picks do you like the best?

ch: Good golly, I like Johnny Jolly, the defensive tackle from Texas A&M. He played with Michael Montgomery and everything I've heard is that he could be something. Tyrone Culver, the safety from Fresno State is intriguing, and the Packers have been watching him for a while. He teamed up with Therrian Fontenot, a CB from Fresno State, in college, who was on the Packers' roster last season. They knew what they were getting with Culver, and he might have a chance to stick.

Bruce, Marquette, MI: Hi Chris, Is Marc Boerichter going to be able to "stretch" the opposing defense enough for Favre to work the WC offense? Driver, Gardner, Fergie (if he makes the team and stays off of I/R) all seem to be #2 possession-type WR's. I thought Ashley Lelie might be part of the "unload Javon" pkg. Although he is no #1 WR, DB's would have to respect him on deep routes. (I doubt that our TEs will scare many DBs.) See you at Greywalls!

ch: Bruce, no question the Packers sorely need a playmaker at WR, but I will say this: Favre has had to play with worse.

Dick H, Muncie, IN: Thompson seems to have done a good job in the draft. Hawk is a given and barring injury should be a long tiime pro bowl caliber player. Colledge and Spitz seem to have potential. Jennings or Blackmon should greatly improve punt and kick returns. Except for Hawk the player I like best however is Hodge. He is a tackling machine. Smart and instinctive. Starting two rookie linebackers seems risky but I believe that Barnett, Hodge (in the middle) and Hawk will soon be the starting linebackers. However, I really can not agree with trading Walker. The second round choice was parlayed into multiple players, one or two of which will hopefully develop. It is not so much the compensation received as the precedent set by trading Walker. Thompson had the opportunity to set a precedent that players could not dictate renegotiating contracts, being traded or released. He should not have given in regardless of how unpleasant the situation became. If after Walker finally reported (he would have to for at least the last 6 games) his knee was sound and he played at a high level the Packers could have franchised him and dictated what they would get for him. Why didn't Thompson follow this course of action?

ch: I suspect Thompson didn't want to jeopardize the locker room culture in return for whatever Javon Walker might've given them on the field. Walker's injury was serious, and while he may make a complete return and I certainly wish him the best, there is no guarantee there. Trust me, when a guy wants to be a disruptive pain in the butt, and he's as talented as Walker, it can be a real problem.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: Chris, What can you tell us about the qb Ingle Martin?

ch: He is married. He was a highly regarded recruit at Florida by Steve Spurrier, but when Spurrier left for Washington he got caught in the crossfire. I think he has a chance certainly to win the No. 3 quarterback job. Plus, he can punt, and the Packers didn't have to trade up to get him. Actually, there aren't any plans that I'm aware of to have him punt here, but in an emergency it couldn't hurt.

kenyan, newark, new jersey: Do you think Hodge will be good enough to start at the other LB position, or do you see that spot going to B. Taylor or R. Manning?

ch: I see intense competition in training camp and may the best linebacker win. That's how teams are built.

Sam, Dallas, Texas: Chris, Your article entitled "Trader Ted" was absolutely correct. Harlan's worst decision was to make Sherman GM and then to stick with him for several years. One of his best decisions hopefully wil be the hiring of Thompson. I loved the way Thompson accumulates draft choices and does not give them away for short term gain. Did you notice that Thompson said he kept reminding himself to look for real " football players". I believe the Packers will have a different attitude. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

ch: Sam, I didn't intend to disparage Sherman or disrespect Bob Harlan, but I think it needed to be put to print already. Plus, the bright side is Harlan fixed the problem and Thompson appears to be the right man for the job. No one is perfect, and that includes Harlan, but it appears he certainly got it right this time. Now we'll have to see if Thompson compounded that positive by making the right call with Mike McCarthy as the head coach. That's another reason I'm really looking forward to this weekend's minicamp. I want to see McCarthy and his staff in action, even if the players are only wearing T-shirts, helmets and shorts.

Paul, Sacramento, CA: Chris, With the draft finished and the Packers passing on Davis and the WR from Florida, and no running backs, Do you think there is an ego thing between Farve wanting offensive play makers and Thompson not listening to the point of not taking advantage of offensive talent this draft?

ch: Favre agreed to come back. Thompson must have said or done something to convince him.

David, University Heights OH: ch-- i saw a partial report on the NFL Network that the Saints inquired about Favre. Do you hear anything about this? Was this a counter offer for the #2 pick, or did you hear if the Packers put an offer together for the #2 pick? thanks

ch: Don't know if the report is true. This is the first I've heard of it. But the bottom line is Favre is here, not New Orleans. I'm sure if Pete Dougherty or Rob Demovsky or myself get further details we'll hustle them into print as quickly as possible. Thanks for the info.

John, Indy: How much salary cap space do we have left after the 2 signings last week?

ch: Let's wait and see after the NFL calculates the Packers' rookie pool. With 12 picks, plus the No. 5 pick overall, it's going to be plenty. In other words, between Kampman and Pickett and Woodson and Hawk, the cap room has been eaten alive.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Again, thanks for taking this question. Some people have said that Daryn Colledge was the steal of the draft. Do you think he is this good? Does he have a good chance to become a starter? Thanks.

ch: He certainly has a chance to be a starter. When you're the 47th player drafted, you better be in the mix from the start.

Brent , Minneapolis, MN: Chris, Thanks for taking the question. It sounds like a lot of people are high on Greg Jennings, but i thought it was a mistake to pass on Chad Jackson. I like the idea of trading down and accumulating some extra picks but they could have drafted Jackson and still traded the 37th they got for Walker to get some extra picks. At some point aren't you lowering your just chance of getting a star by always trading down and how many rookies do you want on you 53 man roster? Is there even enough room for the majority of these guys to make the roster?

ch: Chris Chambers, the ex-Badger, was the 48th or 49th player taken. Jennings went at 52. Chad Jackson, from what I understand, had so many highlight film catches because he didn't always make the easy catch look easy. He had too many drops, and while his speed was eye-popping, Thompson said he always wanted his scouts and coaches to remind him every 15 minutes to take "football players," not guys with great 40 times. I'm guessing that applies here.

Clem, Escanaba: Chris: You're right, Thompson in the draft room is a breath of fresh air. I know it's too soon to tell, but how do you see the O line shaking out in light of the draft? Are there any O line free agents left out there?

ch: I see it being LT Chad Clifton, LG Daryn Colledge, C Scott Wells or C Jason Spitz, RG Kevin Barry, RT Mark Tauscher. That's not too shabby, at least on paper. I've always thought Wells was a better center than guard, and while Will Whitticker gave it the ol' college try at right guard, I always wondered why Kevin Barry wasn't given the chance. He's an earth grader and a huge man with agility and good feet. He should've been in the lineup a year ago.

Pete Fnortni, Elk Mound: Havs, what do you think of ProFootballTalk.com?

ch: I think I looked surprisingly hot in the cheerleader outfit.

Ron Vale, Chicago: Chris, tell me your thoughts on Greg Jennings. I had him very highly rated and I think he had the best hands in the draft. He looks like he catches and moves very smoothly on the run and I think he has potential to start by the end of this season.

ch: I'm with you on this all the way.

Jobu, Madison: It's about time that we get some bruisers on defense! Ever since the 1998 MNF game (Randy Moss's coming out party), where we played two-hand-touch defense, I've thought that we had a bunch of softies on D. Nick Collins is a hitter; now we've got some linebackers who will hit people. I like where this defense is headed.

ch: Well put. The Packers' linebackers have been brutal, as I pointed out earlier in the chat with the almost non-existent sacks, forced fumbles and interceptions.

Mike Holland, Houston, Texas: Chris: My question is simple. Do you agree with TT's quantity vs quality draft? He kept trading back while good players were on the board. Does he really think all these 5th, 6th and 7th round draft picks are going to contribute like we need them to? We had the 5th, 36th and 37th draft picks. We could have had 3 of the top 37 college players - and I would assume they would have all 3 been starters. Am I missing something here?

ch: Were they good players that Thompson passed on? Or merely "name players" that you and others heard of, so you liked them or prefered them to the players the Packers' chose? I like Jennings over Jackson, and I like Colledge over whichever big-school, big-name guard other teams had on their board at the time. I also like Will Blackmon's athleticism, and while this might be a reach, TCU's Cory Rodgers can play and would have been at least a second-round pick if he had stayed in school another year.

Sam, Dallas, Texas: Chris, I certainly agree with your "Trader Ted" article. Although draft results can only accurately be graded after several years, I continue to believe that Harlan made a great move in hiring Thompson. Unfortunately, Harlan's greatest mistake was making Sherman GM and then sticking with him for several years. As a result the last half of Favre's career has been somewhat wasted. As to the draft, were you surprised by the choice of Jennings over better known receivers, and why was a running back not taken out of 12 selections? Do they think that much of Gato? Thanks for your thoughts.

ch: They came damn close to getting UW's Brian Calhoun, but nothing's perfect. We'll see how it shakes out. If Gado and Davenport return to form, as expected, they'll be OK. If Ahman Green comes back to form they'll be more than serviceable. They'll be pretty darn good. They need to get healthy and stay healthy. It's as simple as that.

Partial
05-02-2006, 05:37 PM
I think he hit it right on the money.

I LOVE THE FACT TT WANTS TO BE REMINDED EVERY 15 MINUTES TO GET FOOTBALL PLAYERS, NOT ATHLETES. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

Homer Jay
05-02-2006, 05:43 PM
One of my favorite answers was that it would be as big a mistake to ask TT to be a head coach as it was to ask Mike Sherman to be a GM. Bob Harlan has done some great things with this organization, unfortunately that mistake probably set us back a few years.

Partial
05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't think it set them back as much as some. It is really hard to keep a good team together because everyone wants to get paid. I think they were an aging team kept together too long with everyone wanting some money. I think they're really young now and are getting together a new core of players to build around.

Homer Jay
05-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I understand what you're saying partial, but most teams didn't have a hall of fame quarterback for the 10 years after winning a super bowl. Its just my opinion, but I think Sherman did a poor job of getting Brett Favre enough talent to compete. Sherman used to trade up to take some flyers, Thompson is trading back to possibly take some flyers.

ND72
05-02-2006, 08:52 PM
my one thing is this line...

As for Adbul Hodge out of Iowa, I really like the pick. Does it mean the Packers will move Nick Barnett to the outside? I don't think so. I do believe Hodge could bridge the gap between now and whenever Brady Poppinga is healthy and ready to start at the strong-side linebacker. Hodge gives immediate talent and depth, he'll be hellfire on special teams, and he's a heavy hitter. There's so much to like here.

That's BS. If Hodge gets on the field this year as a rookie with Barnett and Hawk, he won't be leaving. Poppinga is a special teamer at best, and i know i've taken heat for it in the past, but he's just not a NFL starter.

Guiness
05-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Good chat. Would've been better if he started off with

"Frankly Larry, that's just idiotic" :lol:

swede
05-03-2006, 04:00 PM
I understand what you're saying partial, but most teams didn't have a hall of fame quarterback for the 10 years after winning a super bowl. Its just my opinion, but I think Sherman did a poor job of getting Brett Favre enough talent to compete. Sherman used to trade up to take some flyers, Thompson is trading back to possibly take some flyers.

I am no Shermy lover. I called for his head loud and long beginning with the day he fired Ed Donatell.

But I thought in taking those flyers, in the draft AND in free agency, he was sincerely trying to pull together enough juice to win with Brett while he had him, knowing the window was closing quickly.

The unlucky and overmatched Mike Sherman did not fail for lack of dedication and effort anyway.

swede
05-03-2006, 04:03 PM
my one thing is this line...

As for Adbul Hodge out of Iowa, I really like the pick. Does it mean the Packers will move Nick Barnett to the outside? I don't think so. I do believe Hodge could bridge the gap between now and whenever Brady Poppinga is healthy and ready to start at the strong-side linebacker. Hodge gives immediate talent and depth, he'll be hellfire on special teams, and he's a heavy hitter. There's so much to like here.

That's BS. If Hodge gets on the field this year as a rookie with Barnett and Hawk, he won't be leaving. Poppinga is a special teamer at best, and i know i've taken heat for it in the past, but he's just not a NFL starter.

I caught that also. Who doesn't like Poppinga? But to state that Hodges will be holding a place for Brady Poppinga to fill later was rather outlandish.