PDA

View Full Version : JS PACKER CHAT

Bretsky
09-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Greg Bedard
Journal Sentinel Packers beat writer

Greg Bedard answers questions about the team in our weekly Packer Insider training camp chat.

Q: george of san diego - ok, from an outsider. your first impression of favre and how he looks in camp? also to put you on the spot is this an 8 - 8 team, better or worse?

A: Greg Bedard - Before I answer George's question to kick things off, let me first say that I'm excited for my first Insider chat. And a little afraid. You guys are quite knowledgeable about your team. I hope in short order I earn your respect for giving it to you straight, and mixing in a little humor. Also, thanks to all the fans that either emailed or left comments on the blog. You are very kind and have made me and my family feel quickly at home. Now, onto No. 4... I've actually been quite impressed with Favre during this camp. While his mechanics have dipped somewhat over the years, he's a thing of beauty to watch when he gets into a rhythm, like he did in the past two games. I haven't quite nailed down a record yet. I will post my prediction, probably on the Friday before the Eagles game. But the Pack need to get Favre a running game quick, or it will be another slow start for this team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Paul of Eau Claire - Hey Greg, welcome to Packer nation. I'll have you know that you are following a legend (Cliff Christl)...you seem to be up to the task though. I have always been a big fan of the Nicanator. After what he did at LSU I was in favor of firing Sherman and bringing him in shortly after the Packers lost to the Dog Killers....I mean Atlanta Falcons in an NFC wild card game in 2004. In your bio you mentioned that you and Coach Saban weren't on friendly terms. Was he hard on reporters? I know you've only been on the job for a short period of time but how would you compare and contrast his style with the seemingly more laid back Mike McCarthy. Thanks.

A: Greg Bedard - Paul, Cliff was indeed a legend. I don't look at me as following in his footsteps, I could never do that. I'm just trying to do what I do, and hopefully you'll like it. Kind of like a different flavor of ice cream. About Saban...I actually liked Nick as a person and would have loved to have gotten to know him, but he doesn't let anybody inside. While Nick had no use for the media, you could actually get info out of him at the podium (unlike McCarthy) because Saban always thought he was smarter than everybody else. And Saban wasn't actually disliked by players and employees, it was his pit bull Scott O'Brien, a Wisconsin native, who did Saban's dirty work and seemed to take great pleasure in it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Mike of Ankeny, IA - Greg, Welcome to Packerland! From what you've seen so far from the defense, is it possible this could be a top 5 defense this year? Also, with the kicking battle going down to the wire, I'm sure they won't keep two kickers - what value would Rayner have - assuming on training camp stats alone that he's the one on the out?

A: Greg Bedard - This defense could be a top 5 defense, but only if the offense helps it out by controlling the clock and keeping the defense off the field. Things work in concert in football. If the offense struggles, the defense eventually will as well because they'll be gassed by Week 8.
Q: Jeff B of The Oro Valley AZ - Greg, Welcome! I've enjoyed your first few articles and blogs. I hope your blogging will be as timely as you promise it to be. Since practices will now be closed to reporters as we get into the regular season, how are you going to keep us on the inside of what's going on with all things Packers? Based on what you have seen to date, who do you think will be the MVP for the Packers this season? Finally, who or what do you think will be the biggest surprise?

A: Greg Bedard - Jeff, the regular season actually lends itself quite well to the blog because there is always news to be found, even though we won't have practice reports. As for the other things, check back a week from now on the blog and I'll post all my pre-season superlatives.
Q: Kevin of Chippewa Falls - Greg- maybe it is just me being overly optimistic not to mention the fact we haven't played one regular season down yet this year but I get the sense that Thompson has done a pretty good job by drafting some pretty good young talent the last couple years and we have a fair amount of ascending young players. All that separates us from a Super Bowl run is Brett Favre and Ahman Green from 2002 and 2003. Your thoughts?

A: Greg Bedard - Kevin,I couldn't agree with you more. In my studies on what Thompson has done (and I'm just getting into it), I have been impressed. There are a lot of teams in this league that would love to have the Packers' cap room, defense filled with young players and intriguing prospects. He's done a very nice job getting the Pack to this point. How he finds and gets the final pieces of the puzzle to fit will determine whether he's a great GM, or merely a good personnel guy.
Q: jessalooch of san diego - Hi Greg. Welcome to Cheese Town. Knowing what you do about the "Bates" defense and our current personnel, wouldn't you agree that it would make more sense for McCarthy/Sanders to switch Hawk and Barnett. I know that Barnett had made grumblings last year when there were rumors early in camp that he may be moved to the strong side in favor of a then promising Abdul Hodge (especially since he was entering a contract year & the MLB is the focus of the old "Miami" defense). But now that he has secured his big contract and may be more open to being a "team" guy, why not move him to the weak side where he can use his athletisism and put the more instincive Hawk in the middle where I've felt he has always belonged?

A: Greg Bedard - I agree to a point. I do think Barnett is out of position, but there's no way he's strong enough to play the strong side in this defense. Barnett is a weakside guy. The Sam backer in this defense needs to be a big, strong guy that can shed blocks at the point of attack. Barnett doesn't fit that description.
Q: John Casper of Milwaukee WI - Any ideas who the Packers might try to acquire via trade or the waiver wire? I'm specifically thinking about a tight end or a running back? Thanks.

A: Greg Bedard - John, you can definitely count on them looking for a RB and possibly a TE. But don't expect any big names. A personnel guy like TT loves to unearth guys, not resurrect careers.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Greg, I have been reading quite a bit about Marquand Manuel being a good communicator and Atari Bigby having better speed and range. How is Atari Bigby when it comes to football IQ, reading defenses, and communicating to his teammates? And how do you compare him with the talent at safety when you covered the Dolphins?

A: Greg Bedard - Jesse, I can tell you that Bigby has opened my eyes in the past week. He really didn't do much with the Dolphins, but he seems to have reworked his physique and is very, very quick to the ball. But you're right, his football IQ is going to make or break him and that's where I would be worried since he doesn't have much experience. He looks like a natural right now, but lets see how he does against Mike Martz's offense in Detroit.
Q: BZ in Buenos Aires of Buenos Aires, Argentina - Hi Greg. Welcome to your first chat! I have read that the crop of RBs coming out in 2008 will be one of the biggest ever - do you think that TT made the decision to wait until next year to really reinforce this position? It would seem that with Favre in the final year/s of his career, that it would have made sense to get a solid running game together sooner rather than later, but since he didn't make a solid move for Lynch, nor has he gone after any of the Free Agents (not that it was such a great group anyway), it looks to me like he is waiting for next year.

A: Greg Bedard - BZ, I'm not quite sure about the RB crop next year, although McFadden will obviously be there and likely will Ray Rice from my football powerhouse of an alma mater, Rutgers. But if the Pack are picking high enough to get those two, they'll be in trouble. TT obviously comes from the mindset, which many share, is that you can always find a running back, that they are system guys. We'll see if he's right.
Q: Jim of Chicago - Greg, welcome aboard! It seems as if the Packers do not have a running game. Do you think they have the scheme, the line and/or the RB's to consistently run the ball for 100+ yards per game?

A: Greg Bedard - Jim, if I had to say right now, I would say no. Both the OL and RBs have been subpar in my eyes. The OL, I just don't think they're athletic enough to move people around. I could very well be wrong, but that's how I see it.
Q: kwed of dubuque - Gary, If you had to keep one young receiver, Jennings or Jones? One young linebacker, Barnett or Hawk, one young lineman, Spitz or Colledge? thanks

A: Greg Bedard - Jones. Hawk. And I'm not sure. That last one would be a question for the professor, Bob McGinn and his wonders of film study. I absolutely love Jones. If you have a fantasy team, grab him now.
Q: Ed Frye of Schenectady, NY - Assuming Favre's numbers are no better this season than last, will it be time for him to hang 'em up and let the future begin or do you believe he has earned the right to play for as long as he wishes, even if that means losing Aaron Rodgers?

A: Greg Bedard - Well, Ed, that's the $10 million question. Not quite sure I'm ready to answer it for fear of being publicly dragged down Lombardi Avenue on my second week of work (I'm just kidding). This is the whole Marino thing all over again. But from what I see, Favre is still playing at a high level, unlike Dan did at the end.
Q: Digger of Andover, MN - Hi Greg, Congratulations on your new post and welcome to the lunatic fringe. I've enjoyed your bloggings so far and appreciate the fresh insight, especially the frank skepticism of Bigby and the defensive scheme. Two questions: 1. Is Denver or any other zone team likely to dump a decent running back next week? 2. I heard that you are 6'4" and 260lbs. Can you catch? Maybe you can beat out Donald Lee.

A: Greg Bedard - LOL. To answer the second question first, I can indeed catch. I played D-I baseball at Rutgers as a first baseman for two year (before injuries) and I was slick with the glove, so I have GREAT hands. Football coaches were always trying to get me to come out as a TE, but I like having my knees intact. Not sure about the RBs, I'm just about to start looking into that.
Q: john of green bay - Greg, a few years ago I was able to attend a regular season Packers-Dolphins game in Miami. Much to my surprise the stadium was only about 2/3 full at kickoff, filled up mid-way through the 1st quarter, and began to empty at the start of the 4th quarter. Is that the norm in Miami & other cities? In Green Bay, fans are in their seats 1/2 hour before kickoff and no matter what the score, most stay until the final whistle.

A: Greg Bedard - I would say you guys are a little abnormal -- try going to a game in SoCal if you think SoFla is bad. But you guys do it right. That's part of the reason I'm here. I wanted to write for the most demanding fans in the NFL in order to make me a better writer. We're off to a good start, I think.
Q: Tom Lynum of Stillwater, MN - I'm submitting this question prior to the Tital preseason game. However, based on what I've seen offensively so far, the Pack will struggle if they can't generate a more consistant running attack. Having stated the obvious, it should be obvious to TT as well. Here's the question. With all the cap room doesn't TT almost have to try and swing a trade for a decent RB? It's hard to believe he'd straddle this young team (and Favre) with such a glaring hole. Maybe you take that shot with SD's Turner or another young back.

A: Greg Bedard - Tom, if TT was going to swing a deal for a big-game back, like a McGahee, it would have been in the offseason. Rare will you find a late-camp pickup that will make a big impact -- if any at all. I've got a feeling the group you have is the group you're going to have.
Q: BrockNMac of Boston, MA - Welcome to the insane world of the rapid cheeseheads, Greg. Hmmm, trading the beaches of South Florida for the Tundra? Here's an insider tip: the unofficial color of the GBP is hunter orange. Get yourself a hunter orange insultated coat and a Packer stocking cap and you'll fit right in! What is your take on Chris Chambers? He was hurt a lot in Miami, but some of us remember him when he starred at Wisconsin and would love to see him get a shot in GB. Also, why do guys like Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor stick it out in what appears to be a wholly disfunctional organization. Saban, Williams, etc. Finally, is it true as I've heard rumored that those that played with him hated Dan Marino as he was always calling them out and never taking the blame? Do you think it means much to throw for 40K yards and not win a Super Bowl? Thanks Brock

A: Greg Bedard - Brock, I'll always believe that Marino was one of the greatest QBs in NFL history, with or without a ring. It wasn't his fault Shula couldn't find him a defense or running game. And did Marino get under guys' skins? Yes. But they all respected him. And most of them love him now because there's nothing he won't do for his former teammates. Most of it isn't public knowledge, but Marino has helped out quite a few teammates over the years. I'm going to buy an orange hat as soon as this chat is over.
Q: James of Sacramento - Greg, I'm not sure if you have had a chance to watch much tape on Brandon Jackson, but he doesn't appear to have that 'extra' burst to hit the hole hard. A. Green had it and (based on last year) V. Morency has the burst to potentially bang out 10 to 20 yards a clip. Whether Vernand is durable/big enough to be a feature back remains to be seen. Do you think Jackson's lackluster start is a result of pedestrian acceleration at the line, a lack of decisiveness hitting the hole or perhaps, he isn't that good to begin with? Thanks.

A: Greg Bedard - James, there's little doubt Morency is the key to the Packers' season. He's the only guy that has the talent right now to be a feature back. I've been very surprised at how Jackson seems to run with no instincts at all. He's obviously thinking too much. I could insert a Nebraska joke here, but I won't. For the fans' sake, hopefully Jackson is the type of guy where it clicks sometime in the next year.
Q: scott j. sieleman of oelwein , iowa - What are the advatages and disadvatages of keeping two kickers this early season for the 12 Time World Champion Green Bay Packers? Packers Rule!

A: Greg Bedard - It would be one thing, Scott, if one was much better at kicking off than the other, but that's not the case here. The only reason to hang onto to two kickers is because you think they hold trade value. But after watching the Dolphins go through the whole Mare thing this summer, I don't think it's worth it. The Packers have too many good young players that play. I'm not a big fan of kickers. I think they're overvalued. Look at the Patriots. They churn them and burn them. They did it this week, again.
Q: Jeff N. of Apex, NC - Hi Greg, looking forward to all your chats. You have gotten to see Brett Favre practice a little and play a little in the preseason. You are new to reporting on the Green Bay Packers, so I am interested in your opinion on Favre. Does he have enough left in the tank to be an above average NFL QB in your book or have you noticed if he is over the hill and he is fooling himself that he still has it? Your blunt opinion.

A: Greg Bedard - He still has it as far as I'm concerned.
Q: Lennie Durow of San Diego - Greg: Thanks for taking our questions and welcome to JSOnline. There has been a lot of buzz about all the competiton this year and I've been swept up in it as well. However, so much of the guys that we are all buzzing about are FA's, low round pics, Street FA's and replacing guys who were, well, pretty darn poor football players. Are many of the new 1st teamers and 2nds that unseated last years fodder going to make our team that much better? I'm hoping so but would like your thoughts.

A: Greg Bedard - I'm not sure about on the offensive line because I think it needs more athletic talent, but on defense, absolutely they are going to make the team better, now and in the long run. This is now a young, fast man's game on defense more than ever. The Packers are ahead of the curver there.
Q: Ryan of Lexington KY - Why dont the Packers go get Kevan Barlow or some veteran like him? I know he couldnt make another NFL team but hey...we need somebody......

A: Greg Bedard - Barlow and the other guys available are hacks. I'd be saying a lot of prayers for Morency's health right about now if I were you.
Q: Michael G Mullendore of Ellicott City, Md. - Glad to see you onboard. From what I have seen in the Preseason, it appears that Bubba Franks has shown some of his former self, but I haven't seen anything on what the coaching staff is thinking. Any insight?

A: Greg Bedard - Michael, they are quietly optimistic that Franks has broken out of his slump. But frankly, I think he's on the downside of his career and he wouldn't make the roster if it weren't for the many injury problems at the position.
Q: Brad Pelton of Milwaukee - Are you, unlike the departed Cliff Christl, a fan of the game? If so, who is your favorite team?

A: Greg Bedard - I'm sure Cliff was a fan of the game, we just show it in different ways. I had a favorite team, but that really stopped when I started covering the league. It's hard to explain, but seeing the NFL from the inside is kind of like seeing Darth Vader without his mask on: you're never the same afterwards. I'm more of a fantasy fan now. My friends and I have a blast with that.
Q: Don Sky of Tuscaloosa - Are you a nice guy? Or are you a hard ass S.O.B. like Cliff Christl was?

A: Greg Bedard - Uh, oh, I think Nick Saban just checked in under his alias. How's T-Town, Nick? Tell Terry I said hi. She's a peach of a lady.
Q: Rich of LA - Hello Greg, welcome. With commissioner Goodell suspending Odell Thurman for another year, What do you think the odds are that the same thing could happen to Korin Robinson when he applies for reinstatement in September?

A: Greg Bedard - Rich, I would bet on Robinson being suspended for a while longer. Goodell has shown no patience for repeat offenders like Robinson. It's too bad Tagliabue didn't feel that way. Maybe somebody like Robinson would have woken up sooner.
Q: John Lake of Chapel Hill, North Carolina - After listening to the game last night I am convinced of two things. First, this team (first stringers only) is much better than I thought and second we do not have the depth that I thought we did at a lot of positions. With that said, and given Thompson's passion for picking up "street free agents" or players who were not drafted in the most recent draft... what changes do you expect to be made on the roster. In other words, what positions still need help (I think there are a bunch) that Ted Thompson will actual do something about? I would appreciate any insight that you might be able to provide. Thanks and have a good safe and fun filled holiday weekend.

A: Greg Bedard - I would look for TT to troll for depth at RB, TE and LB. The Packers are kind of thin there after the first three and Bishop
Q: Trevor of Saint Paul - Welcome to Packerland, Greg! How will the Packers fairly evaluate D. Wynn since he played behind the very shaky #2 OL?

A: Greg Bedard - Trevor, it looks like will Wynn will make the roster if only because of the injury situation -- they need all hands on deck until Morency can do more than run in a straight line in sweats. I like Wynn and he was in the wrong offense at UF under Urban Meyer. Wynn will get a chance to stick if he can open eyes when he as the opportunity.
Q: Brian Murphy of Dallas - I hear that Marquand Manual doesn't get along at all with a few Packers DBs. While not sure if that's true or not, if it is I would guess Charles Woodson might be one of them. Can you confirm any of this stuff? Chemistry is crucial for a D-backfield. Now if that's not true, then I think this guy has to be kept on the team as a backup. He improved a lot towards the last part of last season, and he has experience, also showed in Seattle he is a capable backup. And that team almost won the Super Bowl. Bigby, Rouse, Peprah, even Collins are all very young. Manual adds some stability. I think the same is true of Frank Walker. I trust him a lot more than Dendy or even Bush. I like Jarrett Bush, but I think Walker adds some toughness, NFC East type, that our CBs lack otherwise. Agree on any of this?

A: Greg Bedard - I agree with you on all counts, Brian, but I'd file Manuel under the long list of players that cashed in after Super Bowl seasons and never lived up to the hype. I just don't see a lot of trust with him out there, and you're right, that is a huge problem for a secondary.
Q: Jake of Minneapolis - What are the chances that Ferguson will be a productive receiver for the Vikes?

A: Greg Bedard - Not good, from what I've heard. The guy had multiple chances to be a big contributer with the Pack and never did. Hard to believe a change in scenery is going to change much.
Q: John of Minnetonka, MN - I suspect Thompson keeps Crosby and cuts Rayner tomorrow after finding no trades for him. With the heavy kicking competition this summer I'm afraid Crosby will have a tired leg in the second half of the season. Your thoughts?

A: Greg Bedard - I would't worry about that. Once the regular season starts, kickers really tone it down. As far as Crosby, I like him but I'm not so sure about him. I like my kickers to be cocky and sure of themselves. I don't get that vibe with Crosby. Maybe he's just a different kind of kicker. Could be.
Q: Phil of Brookfield - I read your introduction. Welcome! Based on your first days covering the Packers, what differences do you notice between how they operate and how things operated with the Dolphins when you were covering them?

A: Greg Bedard - Thompson and Dolphins GM Randy Mueller are very similar since both have their roots in the Seahawks organization. They were taught well there. Mueller's more comfortable with the media, but both are personnel evaluators at heart.
Q: gene of chicago - Thanks for taking my questions, Greg. Are you assuming the Cliff Christl curmudgeon role in these chats? What happens if Favre or Rodgers goes down with an injury-- do they then go after Aaron Brooks or(insert name here)?

A: Greg Bedard - If you seen Aaron Brooks in a Packers jersey, I would run for the hills. If you have any around here. Haven't seen any myself.
Q: Joe of Spring Lake Park - Wasn't Mr. Magoo a Rutgers alum?

A: Greg Bedard - The man who created him was. That's why Mr. Magoo always wore a sweater with an "R" on it. See, I can educate the masses on other things besides football. Are there other things besides football this time of year?
Q: Patrick of Oshkosh - Who do you see making it Crosby or Rayner?

A: Greg Bedard - Patrick, I would think Crosby only because he's cheaper. But if TT and MM are thinking like me in the previous answer, they might feel the devil that you know (Rayner) is better than the one you don't (Crosby). But it's very close. I just wouldn't keep two of them. They're just kickers. Why not keep two longsnappers then? Anyways, I think that will just about do it for my opening chat on Insider. I have to say, it was fun and not nearly as daunting as I thought. Of course, you all could just be taking it easy on me for the first time out. I'm sure when the season starts, you guys are going to bring the heat. I look forward to it. Thanks for checking in guys and gals. See you around the blog.

vince
09-02-2007, 06:56 AM
I like the new guy. He knows his football, and he's got a good sense of humor.

Bretsky
09-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Interesting that he made a couple references to doubts about our OL.

He seems like a good guy with a sense of humor.

RashanGary
09-02-2007, 07:40 AM
I think he had a VERY solid opinion. He liked some things, alot of things and he didnt like the running game. It's a little obvious based on what happened in the preseason. I think that group will get going once the reg season starts but other than that, I agree, on some level, with most of what that guy said. He has opinions too, it seems like he's seen enough to bring something extra.

RashanGary
09-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Interesting that he made a couple references to doubts about our OL.

He seems like a good guy with a sense of humor.

I saw that too. Said he was impressed with TT but doubted this line. We'll see how those guys pan out. I think they'll do better once the gloves come off but I've been saying that for two weeks now and I'm going off my theory that they have to cut to get this scheme going.

GrnBay007
09-02-2007, 08:35 AM
I've actually been quite impressed with Favre during this camp. While his mechanics have dipped somewhat over the years, he's a thing of beauty to watch when he gets into a rhythm, like he did in the past two games.

Worded perfectly. There's NOTHING better then watching Favre when he's on.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 08:49 AM
: BrockNMac of Boston, MA - Welcome to the insane world of the rapid cheeseheads, Greg.

What the heck is a "rapid" cheesehead? Somebody with 4.3 speed?

BallHawk
09-02-2007, 10:56 AM
: BrockNMac of Boston, MA - Welcome to the insane world of the rapid cheeseheads, Greg.

Find me a cheesehad with 4.3 speed and I'll find you a Vikings WR that can catch a football.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Both the OL and RBs have been subpar in my eyes. The OL, I just don't think they're athletic enough to move people around.

This is a very sobering assessment. They didn't show much in preseason, that's for sure. Can't use the "they need time to jell" excuse, this is their second year. We'll see when the live bullets fly next weekend.

retailguy
09-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Both the OL and RBs have been subpar in my eyes. The OL, I just don't think they're athletic enough to move people around.

This is a very sobering assessment. They didn't show much in preseason, that's for sure. Can't use the "they need time to jell" excuse, this is their second year. We'll see when the live bullets fly next weekend.

There has been no run blocking to speak of on any of the 1,2,3 offenses. There haven't even been many flashes. This is my biggest concern rolling into the season. I was never a big fan of Spitz, but, he seems to have disapeared in the preseason. Having OJ Coston ready to step in doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence for me either.

I hope there is a plan, please please, please.... :|

Rastak
09-02-2007, 03:05 PM

Find me a cheesehad with 4.3 speed and I'll find you a Vikings WR that can catch a football.

Ballhawk, meet Mr Rice. Not sure about a chedderhead running a 4.3....what's your 40?

:wink:

BallHawk
09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
what's your 40?

Somewhere between Troy Williamson and Pat Williams.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
what's your 40?

Somewhere between Troy Williamson and Pat Williams.

LOL, that's a range......