PDA

View Full Version : Guys we might trade

RashanGary
09-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Frank Walker (He's played in this league, a team desperate for a nickle back might trade a late pick or a player at another position)

Colin Cole (He's an OK player and he's more proven than Muir. He doesn't hurt you and there are teams out there who don't have one OK DT let alone two)

We just need to find a team that has extra LB's/TE's and needs a DT or nickle back. I'm starting to think we are going to slide one of our RB's to FB. I just don't see us bringing in a FB and then having 7 RB/FB's. Keeping Wynn has us in an awkward position.

Morency, Jackson and Grant seem like they are going to be here. You wouldn't keep Wynn if you weren't planning on keeping him for the long haul. What about Herron? Is he the odd man out now because you want to take a flyer on Wynn? If we find a FB in a trade or waivers it might pan out that way.

BallHawk
09-02-2007, 08:41 AM
There wasn't that much demand for Frank Walker in FA and I doubt there would be any now.

There is a small chance a DL could be traded, but we all know TT, he's not going to trade just away depth for nothing.

pack4to84
09-02-2007, 09:10 AM
they might be happy with Rouse playing the extra LB if need be. He has the body and played LB/S in college. Only thing he lacks at S is coverage skills which he can develop with practice.

The Shadow
09-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I think that before the dust settles, we will pick up a tight end, linebacker, and quarterback.
I think Coles, Wynn, and Williams will be soon gone.

RashanGary
09-02-2007, 09:39 AM
I think they really like Tramon Williams. He's the 6th CB. YOu don't keep a developmental guy like that and drop Birdine if you don't like him. Keeping him makes absolutly no sense unless they think he's pretty good.

Wynn suprises me. I really hope he gets his shit together and keeps it together becuase he could be good. This regime hasn't had too many guys like Wynn. This team seems to move on quickly if a player doesn't show something. I hope this doesn't turn into a case where a guy sticks around too long. He's talented though and by the end of hte year he might be in shpae. You never know, he could be a fresh set of legs at a time of need later this season. I don't see them getting rid of either. I see Walker as trade bait and Herron or Grand if he sucks as the first guys out.

Merlin
09-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Trade Cole instead of Harrell? I would dump Harrell long before I would dump Cole. There isn't a ton of age difference and Cole is experienced and a ton better then Harrell. But then again, what team in their right mind would give up a #1 draft pick for Harrell? Oh, wait, nevermind...

Bretsky
09-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Trade Cole instead of Harrell? I would dump Harrell long before I would dump Cole. There isn't a ton of age difference and Cole is experienced and a ton better then Harrell. But then again, what team in their right mind would give up a #1 draft pick for Harrell? Oh, wait, nevermind...

Cole has pedestrian NFL talent; he's a depth guy. A better player now; but he is what he is. Below a starter and a decent reserve.

Harrell at worst was projected as a late first to early second round pick; you don't cut that for Colin Cole talent.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 10:07 AM

One can debate the Harrell pick but you don't dump a #1 pick the same year you draft him. Nobody does that in the NFL. Makes no sense cap wise or team development wise.....

Merlin
09-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, but you don't draft a guy #1 who was basically out of football the year before either. Because he was drafted #1, he will be around 3-4 years before we determine his worth. Whether or not he ever plays up to Cole's level or not remains to be seen. Cole's whole problem is that he is inconsistent. Some plays he looks like a monster and others he looks like a backup. So far though, Harrell's play has been less then pedestrian.

Merlin
09-02-2007, 10:09 AM
And I do realize that Cole is probably a goner and Harrell is going to be around awhile. If Harrell doesn't make significant improvement and you let Cole go, then you haven't really made an upgrade for this year. Maybe next year or the year after that but again, it remains to be seen.

Bretsky
09-02-2007, 10:20 AM
And I do realize that Cole is probably a goner and Harrell is going to be around awhile. If Harrell doesn't make significant improvement and you let Cole go, then you haven't really made an upgrade for this year. Maybe next year or the year after that but again, it remains to be seen.

You probably know I was not a fan of the Harrell pick; but he was going to get drafted in round one. The Broncos stated there were three DL they were committed to drafting at around pick #24 and once the second one went off the board (Harrell) they traded up for the third one. I think the first guy to go they were targeting was Adam Carreaker.

Lurker64
09-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Yeah, but you don't draft a guy #1 who was basically out of football the year before either. Because he was drafted #1, he will be around 3-4 years before we determine his worth. Whether or not he ever plays up to Cole's level or not remains to be seen. Cole's whole problem is that he is inconsistent. Some plays he looks like a monster and others he looks like a backup. So far though, Harrell's play has been less then pedestrian.

Outside the top 10 picks or so, everybody in the first round has their question marks. I mean, look at the people drafted around Harrell. Denver took an undersized end (because they didn't get Harrell), Cincinnati took a corner who can't play press coverage and gives an enormous cushion, Jacksonville took a safety who tackles poorly and is a mental liabiity, New England took a safety who's a felon, Cleveland got the QB who never showed anybody anything in a big game in college, New Orleans took an overweight lazy WR, Chicago took a TE who finds blocking to be beneath them, etc.

None of those guys are ready to make a big impact in the NFL yet. They've all got their question marks. The guys without question marks go right away in the draft. I mean if Adrian Peterson was there at 16, I'd have taken him. We just missed him by 9 spots or so, but he's even got his knocks (injury prone, notably.)

I mean, it took us a few years to really be sure that Barnett and Walker were pretty good while Carroll was never going to become a player. Moreover, those guys play positions that more often make impact in their rookie seasons, the adjustment from the college game in the really physical positions often takes a little longer.

I'm not saying I'm in love with the pick, though I've seen flashes of stuff I like from Harrell. But really, there wasn't a lot to fall in love with at 16 this year, and certainly not a lot that would really improve us this year. Quinn would have sat on the bench this year, Meachem showed up to Saints camp overweight and unmotivated, trading the pick wouldn't have helped us this year, Greg Olsen is only a TE by virtue of where he lines up, etc. I have a feeling we'd have the same sort of "unsure about the pick" no matter what we did.

Carolina_Packer
09-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Merlin, I generally like your posts, even though I don't often end up agreeing with you. This board would be a downright snooze-fest if it weren't for the differences of opinion, and well-stated ones at that. It rarely gets personal, and I like that too. Guys are arguing football-related topics and that's great.

I don't think the Pack personnel brain-trust thought that they'd get all they were going to get from Harrell this year. I really think it was a boom/bust pick, with more hope for the boom (and only a slight worry about bust), and knowing that he was probably going to be more of a contributor down the line. If we knew how the DL was going to develop in the OTA's and TC, guys like Johnny Jolly, Muir, etc., perhaps we go a different direction than DT in the first round, however, I really think this was a draft for the future pick in the first round. If you have great interchangeable parts on the DL, and don't have to hide anyone that's a nice luxury. Our success on D this year really will won first in the trenches.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Merlin, I generally like your posts, even though I don't often end up agreeing with you. This board would be a downright snooze-fest if it weren't for the differences of opinion

Right on!

It rarely gets personal, and I like that too.

Hmmm. not rarely enough.

BobDobbs
09-02-2007, 12:43 PM
I think one interesting trade possibility is trading Corey Williams. Do we feel that a rotation of Muir, Cole, and Harrell behind Pickett and Jolly will do it? If Thompson doesn't feel that he will sign Williams after this year, then he should definitely do it.
Too often on chat boards I see trade scenarios that undervalue the intelligence of other GMs. If someone knows we're going to cut a guy (Manuel, Rayner) there isn't much point in giving something up. Or if there is a guy that is a lifetime backup (Cole) what is someone really going to give up for that. With Williams we have a player with proven production who may develop into a starter for someone else. If we could find a team that would trade a quality Tight End or RB I say pull the trigger.
I don't think our DL would be as good without him, but we could absorb the loss and dramatically strengthen a position of weakness.

LEWCWA
09-02-2007, 01:09 PM
You guys need to lay off Harrell. The guy isn't going to show is true stuff this year. He is going to be weak all season. The guy tore his bicep and that takes a long time to recover from. Thing is once the recovery is complete and his strength returns he will be an awsome player. Good to great DL don't come along often. Way too many people around here look way too short term. I'm sure plenty around here have been saying get rid of Rodgers for 2 years and now are all over his bandwagon! Well the guy still hasn't done a thing. In 2 years, people will be loving Harrell.

KYPack
09-02-2007, 02:28 PM
You guys need to lay off Harrell. The guy isn't going to show is true stuff this year. He is going to be weak all season. The guy tore his bicep and that takes a long time to recover from. Thing is once the recovery is complete and his strength returns he will be an awsome player. Good to great DL don't come along often. Way too many people around here look way too short term. I'm sure plenty around here have been saying get rid of Rodgers for 2 years and now are all over his bandwagon! Well the guy still hasn't done a thing. In 2 years, people will be loving Harrell.

You got it LEWCA.

Cole is about what he's gonna be. An average player and a spot guy.

Harrell can be a special guy.

He's coming off the injury that hurts his play and keeps him out of the weight room. he also made every rookie mistake you can make coming into his first camp. He had no sense of NFL pace. He didn't have his cardio in place. He ain't the first kid to make those mistakes and won't be the last.

I think he will contribute mightily in the second half of the season and be a big time player for us in this league.

Merlin, you are a good poster and all, you shake shit up. Sometimes, you come off clueless and this is one of those situations.

retailguy
09-02-2007, 02:59 PM

I agree completely. He's not going to help much this year. He's been out of the weight room and off the field too long to compete at this level this year. But, I'll swig some more kool-aid and tell you that if he's going to help, it won't be two years from now, it'll be NEXT year... If he doesn't help next year, he's probably not going to help.

Next year it is, of that I am confident.

Guiness
09-02-2007, 03:17 PM
One can debate the Harrell pick but you don't dump a #1 pick the same year you draft him. Nobody does that in the NFL. Makes no sense cap wise or team development wise.....

No, but sometimes the pick dumps you! (See Underwood, Dimitrius) :shock: