PDA

View Full Version : Packers Claim FB Kuhn, Place Herron On I.R.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Packers Claim FB Kuhn, Place Herron On I.R., Sign 7 To Practice Squad

The Green Bay Packers claimed fullback John Kuhn on waivers, placed running back Noah Herron on injured reserve and signed seven players to the practice squad Sunday. The transactions were announced by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Claimed on waivers from Pittsburgh, Kuhn (pronounced KOON), played nine games with the Steelers in 2006. The second-year pro from Shippensburg (Pa.) spent the 2005 season on the Steelers' practice squad.

Singed to the practice squad were wide receiver David Clowney, wide receiver Chris Francies, tight end Clark Harris, linebacker Spencer Havner, tackle Orrin Thompson, quarterback Paul Thompson and running back Corey White.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Packers Claim FB Kuhn, Place Herron On I.R., Sign 7 To Practice Squad

The Green Bay Packers claimed fullback John Kuhn on waivers, placed running back Noah Herron on injured reserve and signed seven players to the practice squad Sunday. The transactions were announced by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Claimed on waivers from Pittsburgh, Kuhn (pronounced KOON), played nine games with the Steelers in 2006. The second-year pro from Shippensburg (Pa.) spent the 2005 season on the Steelers' practice squad.

Singed to the practice squad were wide receiver David Clowney, wide receiver Chris Francies, tight end Clark Harris, linebacker Spencer Havner, tackle Orrin Thompson, quarterback Paul Thompson and running back Corey White.

Wow, Herron out for the year. Clowney clearing waivers can be considered a good thing given his draft position and pre-draft reports. Worked out well for the Packers.

Lurker64
09-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I wonder who claimed Birdine, or if Ted just didn't want him on the practice squad for whatever reason.

Too bad about Herron, I didn't think his injury was that bad.

RashanGary
09-02-2007, 02:31 PM
This makes a little more sense. We still need a TE.

green_bowl_packer
09-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Kuhn's Steelers Bio

http://news.steelers.com/team/player/52805/

retailguy
09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Wow, thought Herron said he'd be ok. This is kind of a surprise. But we've got 2 fullbacks now. Thats a start....

cement shoes on the IR, crap, now I have to come up with a new nickname... :x

motife
09-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Ted on the RB's : "We're happy with our group.."

oft injured, averaging 2 yards per carry, who wouldn't be?

motife
09-02-2007, 03:21 PM
The Packers signed seven to their eight-man practice squad: WR David Clowney, WR Chris Fancies, TE Clark Harris, LB Spencer Havner, OT Orrin Thompson, QB Paul Thompson, and RB Corey White;

S Tyrone Culver needs surgery on his shoulder that will keep him out 4 to 6 months;

LB Abdul Hodge will likely have surgery on both of his ailing knees;

The Packers wanted to sign DE Larry Birdine to the practice but was told he wants to find a team that doesn't have 11 defensive linemen on the roster;

WR Shaun Bodiford was claimed by an unknown team;

The Packers called around about trading for other running backs, but were rebuffed each time. No team called the Packers on Saturday about trading for any of their players.

motife
09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
General Manager Ted Thompson said the decision on Herron was "heartbreaking" to make, but was neccessary because Herron wouldn't be back until after the Oct. 21 bye week.

The Packers did claim fullback John Kuhn off waivers from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Packers now have just Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, DeShawn Wynn and Ryan Grant at halfback entering next Sunday's game against the Eagles. Morency has been out since the first practice of training camp with a knee injury. Jackson and Wynn are both rookies, and Grant was acquired on Saturday in a trade with the New York Giants. And right now, the Packers don't have a back with any experience protecting the quarterback in blitz pickup. And the Eagles are one of the best at getting to the quarterback.

retailguy
09-02-2007, 03:26 PM
And right now, the Packers don't have a back with any experience protecting the quarterback in blitz pickup. And the Eagles are one of the best at getting to the quarterback.

:( :?

motife
09-02-2007, 03:26 PM
At RB, the Packers are the most ill prepared than at any position I've ever seen since the year after Wahle and Rivera left the offensive line.

This looks like the RB's in the late 1970's.

retailguy
09-02-2007, 03:27 PM
General Manager Ted Thompson said the decision on Herron was "heartbreaking" to make, but was neccessary because Herron wouldn't be back until after the Oct. 21 bye week.

This is the best explanation of the trade that I've seen yet. Sad, very sad. As much as I hated old cement shoes, I wouldn't have wished that on him.

retailguy
09-02-2007, 03:28 PM
At RB, the Padkers are the most ill prepared than at any position I've ever seen since the year after Wahle and Rivera left the offensive line.

This looks like the RB's in the late 1970's.

Who are the padkers? :P

Sadly, I fear you are correct. I sincerly hope you are wrong.

gbpackfan
09-02-2007, 03:38 PM

The Packers did claim fullback John Kuhn off waivers from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Packers now have just Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, DeShawn Wynn and Ryan Grant at halfback entering next Sunday's game against the Eagles. Morency has been out since the first practice of training camp with a knee injury. Jackson and Wynn are both rookies, and Grant was acquired on Saturday in a trade with the New York Giants. And right now, the Packers don't have a back with any experience protecting the quarterback in blitz pickup. And the Eagles are one of the best at getting to the quarterback.

What a major fuck up by TT! He waited, and waited, and waited until the last minute to add a decent RB and he couldnt get the job done. What a piece of garbage. Nice job TT!

swede
09-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree about the comparison to Wahle, Rivera.

In that case, imho, TT felt compelled to start dropping the poopy contracts and moving forward. I think he did the right thing, in fact the ONLY thing he could have done. Wahle didn't want to be here and the courageous Rivera got paid an outrageous and unsupportable amount of money by Dallas.

The Packers were unable to limp through the O-line situation and 4-12 was the result.

This year TT thought he had his boys in Morency, Jackson, and Herron with a few interesting little options beyond those three with kids such as Pope, White and Wynn.

KABOOM!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/tedfroblownup.jpg

Sometimes things just blow up in your face!

My 9-7 prediction was based on a decent running game. Even Herron could have helped the passing game go.

I don't think Teddy was wrong to think we were all ready to go RB-wise back in June. We've had some seriously bad luck in the running back department and now we may not know for a while if Morency and Jackson are good enough when the games are real.

PackerBlues
09-02-2007, 03:56 PM
You all know how much I hate to bash Thompson :whaa: , but this is bad. This is looking a lot like how Ted rebuilt the O-line in 2005, in other words, a cluster f@#k.

Well, I hope Favre's arm holds out, carrying this team through the season with the passing game, cause our running game is lookin pretty bad right now. :bang: :bang: :bang:

BallHawk
09-02-2007, 03:59 PM
What a major fuck up by TT! He waited, and waited, and waited until the last minute to add a decent RB and he couldnt get the job done. What a piece of garbage. Nice job TT!

Well, there's a new and fresh opinion if I've ever seen one. :roll:

BallHawk
09-02-2007, 04:11 PM
So much for Herron being "day-to-day." :roll:

Rastak
09-02-2007, 04:12 PM

See the rastak "injury reporting idea" thread......LOL......

BallHawk
09-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Your idea would work, if you could find a way to prevent players lying about their injuries.

Rastak
09-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Your idea would work, if you could find a way to prevent players lying about their injuries.

XRAY and MRI.....

BallHawk
09-02-2007, 04:18 PM

XRAY and MRI.....

Good point. But there are injuries that could not show a thing, but the player is still banged up.

BallHawk
09-02-2007, 04:20 PM
WR Shaun Bodiford was claimed by an unknown team;

I wonder who it could be? :whist:

http://tarapfeifer.com/albums/stuff/mike_sherman_sleeping.jpeg

Rastak
09-02-2007, 04:21 PM

XRAY and MRI.....

Good point. But there are injuries that could not show a thing, but the player is still banged up.

Yea, it's a bit harder but MRI's usually show quite a bit. Outright bullshit might be avoided.

jramsey495
09-02-2007, 04:47 PM
this is another that just doesn't make sense. i know people are going to jump all over me because i'm not an nfl gm and they know a hell of a lot more than i do, fair enough. but you seemingly can choose between kyle johnson, cut by the broncos, a 3 year starter at fb in the system we run, or kuhn, a guy who spent 05 on the practice squad(just like grant) and 06 making great tackles on special teams. i hope this guy lights the world on fire and we all fall in love with him, but i doubt it...

like i said yesterday on the thing about grant, i generally like the way tt does things, but sometimes it seems like he has to try to find the needle in the haystack just to look smart. maybe there's a great explanation for it, but give me a real fullback...

Guiness
09-02-2007, 05:08 PM
this is another that just doesn't make sense. i know people are going to jump all over me because i'm not an nfl gm and they know a hell of a lot more than i do, fair enough. but you seemingly can choose between kyle johnson, cut by the broncos, a 3 year starter at fb in the system we run, or kuhn, a guy who spent 05 on the practice squad(just like grant) and 06 making great tackles on special teams. i hope this guy lights the world on fire and we all fall in love with him, but i doubt it...

like i said yesterday on the thing about grant, i generally like the way tt does things, but sometimes it seems like he has to try to find the needle in the haystack just to look smart. maybe there's a great explanation for it, but give me a real fullback...

not knowing either player, there could be several reasons...

Denver cut Johnson for a reason - do they have a really good FB there? I don't think so (could be wrong). Maybe they'd been holding on to him, hoping for big things out of him, but they didn't happen. There'd certainlyy be a lot of film on him, and maybe TT/MM saw a guy who'd hit his ceiling.

As far as Kuhn, who knows? Are they looking for potential, or a solid backup? I'd have to think the former, and they think he can grow. Which they wouldn't necessarily expect out of Johnson.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2007, 05:25 PM
KABOOM!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/tedfroblownup.jpg
Sometimes things just blow up in your face!

rich. :lol:

I agree, the bad luck at injuries at RB is beyond anything that any GM could have handled. It's like two years ago when Samkon Gado was brought in to salvage the offense.

Carolina_Packer
09-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Perhaps there is something in the works now, but I think I'd be considering getting Mike Bell from Denver if he's an odd man out. I'd also look at Antonio Pittman who got released from the Saints.

What would you think of Bethel Johnson at WR?

Rastak
09-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Perhaps there is something in the works now, but I think I'd be considering getting Mike Bell from Denver if he's an odd man out. I'd also look at Antonio Pittman who got released from the Saints.

What would you think of Bethel Johnson at WR?

He didn't impress me as a WR with Minnesota...I think Green Bay has better up and coming talent than that.

SkinBasket
09-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Well, there's a new and fresh opinion if I've ever seen one. :roll:

And another, "God damn TT for what he did!" without offering just who we should have added at RB that they think would have been better. I mean, I'm sure LT was probably available for a 6th right?

I'm excited about the prospect of finding out if these new guys suck instead of knowing that Herron sucks. Given his time here and supposed knowledge of the system that should have come with that, he's been terrible. Even if Wynn and Grant only average two and a half yards per carry, have shaky blocking skills, and contribute little to nothing on ST, they aren't any worse than what we had.

Merlin
09-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Herron was supposed to be out for 2-3 weeks and now they said he wouldn't be back until the bye week???? It was a knee scope for torn cartilage, I have had three of those and you ARE 100% in 2-3 weeks. You are walking by day 2 and running by day 4-5 and I had a shitty surgeon! With a knee brace you can definitely play the game by week 3. I suspect there is something else going on here, what I have no idea. Morency will have been out much longer then that by the time he hits the field and he isn't on IR and didn't have surgery.

I am glad to see White on the practice squad.

cheesner
09-02-2007, 05:56 PM

like i said yesterday on the thing about grant, i generally like the way tt does things, but sometimes it seems like he has to try to find the needle in the haystack just to look smart. maybe there's a great explanation for it, but give me a real fullback...Who the hell does TT think he is? The arrogant bastard is signing guys who we haven't heard of. He should only sign guys we have heard of rather than relying on his scouting department to determine who is the best player. Think about it. Its the same crap that got us stuck with players like James Jones when we could have had guys we heard of.

Merlin
09-02-2007, 05:59 PM
When you draft 379 guys, someone should pan out. They have missed on as many players as they have hit on.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Herron was supposed to be out for 2-3 weeks and now they said he wouldn't be back until the bye week????

They found more damage in the knee during scope, he's on IR, out for season.

Herron was the third best back on the roster, and valuable in his third down role as a blocker and pass receiver. His loss weakens the team. They won't get a better player without a trade.

That said, maybe Wynn, or some other back will develop with playing time. The new guy from Giants sounds like Herron-lite.

MJZiggy
When you draft 379 guys, someone should pan out. They have missed on as many players as they have hit on.

But when you start with 379, that means you hit on 189.5. That's not too bad but you gotta feel for the half a guy...must've been a mercy pick.

Harlan Huckleby

just as long as he stays there.

MasonCrosby
09-02-2007, 06:02 PM
i know normally i have very little quality input to contribute to forum discussion, but i have actually seen john kuhn play at shipp and he was decent. when he played there he got alot of carries actually and was a big offensive contributor.

Merlin
09-02-2007, 06:03 PM
If Wynn is on the roster, then I would disagree with White on the PS for an eternity. Wynn has shown nothing and White has shown a dimension we don't have right now that was productive.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2007, 06:06 PM
If Wynn is on the roster, then I would disagree with White on the PS for an eternity. Wynn has shown nothing and White has shown a dimension we don't have right now that was productive.

we just have to agree to disagree. I thought White had less physical talent than the glimpse we got of Wynn. I don't think he could be productive against starters.

TopHat
09-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Former Packers safety Marquand Manuel has signed with the Carolina Panthers, according to the Charlotte Observer.

The Tennessee Titans have signed former backup quarterback Ingle Martin to their practice squad.

Packers GM Ted Thompson said receiver Shaun Bodiford was claimed off waivers. The former Packers receiver/kick returner was awarded to the Washington Redskins.

Scott Campbell
09-02-2007, 06:16 PM

we just have to agree to disagree. I thought White had less physical talent than the glimpse we got of Wynn. I don't think he could be productive against starters.

I'm not so hot on either guy.

BallHawk
09-02-2007, 06:36 PM
[b]Former Packers safety Marquand Manuel has signed with the Carolina Panthers, according to the Charlotte Observer. /b]

I'm guessing they want a veteran to fill in because of the retirement of Mike Minter.

RashanGary
09-02-2007, 06:45 PM
They found more damage in the knee during scope, he's on IR, out for season.

Herron was the third best back on the roster, and valuable in his third down role as a blocker and pass receiver. His loss weakens the team. They won't get a better player without a trade.

That said, maybe Wynn, or some other back will develop with playing time. The new guy from Giants sounds like Herron-lite.

Pretty solid summary. Herron knew what he was doing, he'll be missed in that regard. I'm not so sure Grant is no better than Herron though. I think Herron was a 4.6 guy and Grant is a 4.4 guy. Speed isn't everything, but Herron lacking it was a big part of the downfall in his game.

This is just an idea, something to bounce off the wall but I have a theory that I've developed as to why Grant might not have lived up to his physical abilities. The guys is 6'1", 218 lbs and he looks pretty cut. They say he is explosive and pretty good at everything. However, he did attend ND and he mantained a 4.0 thorugh HS and college. He may have been putting more work into school than the typical student althelte and now he's starting to maximize his potential. Just an idea, they said he looked much improved this off season after a year in an NFL setting. He could be a diamond in the rough, never know.

Lurker64
09-02-2007, 07:10 PM

just as long as he stays there.

Is someone looking for a RB really going to be sifting through our refuse? It seems that if you were looking for a RB, there were some teams quite a bit deeper than us at that position that you might want to take a look at their practice squads first.

We might like White because we've seen him. But how many of the RBs on other team's practice squads have we seen? I'm pretty sure that at least somebody in each team's scouting dept has seen each of them.

motife
09-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Tony Fisher was better than Noah Herron as a third down back.

It was amazing the number of first downs on long 3rd down plays Fisher would get.

motife
09-02-2007, 07:16 PM
They can always suit up Edgar Bennett.

I wonder if Dorsey Levens is available...

the_idle_threat
09-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I hope this injury doesn't rob Herron of his speed ...

retailguy
09-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I hope this injury doesn't rob Herron of his speed ...

don't worry. Old cement shoes will be just fine.

CaliforniaCheez
09-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Corey White would be more valuable on the roster now than Tony Palmer.

White can play FB though his performance at FB against the Titans wasn't good enough.

There will be an a guy better than Morency available in next year's draft.
I don't think Herron will make the 08 squad,

Palmer didn't show anything this preseason.

Fritz
09-02-2007, 08:48 PM
It's not Hornung and Taylor back there, that's for sure.

However, fans in Detroit are wringing their hands over the Lions' pre-season (lack of) rushing attack. They've averaged maybe two and a half yards a carry. Their backs? Tatum Bell and TJ Duckett.

Maybe if our offensive line can actually open some holes, even the Deshawn Wynns of the world can pick up three yards or so. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

Now, when a linebacker comes caving in on third and seven and Deshawn is looking around wondering what he's supposed to be doing, well, that's where I'm worried...

swede
09-02-2007, 09:37 PM
...Now, when a linebacker comes caving in on third and seven and Deshawn is looking around wondering what he's supposed to be doing, well, that's where I'm worried...

Exactly. I never had expectations of having a 1,700 yard back this year.

But now I'd settle for 80 running yards a game and just keeping Brett alive.

superfan
09-03-2007, 01:53 AM
I liked the thought of Antonio Pittman until the Rams grabbed him.

DeDe Dorsey might be worth a look - although considering he got cut and the Colts had basically nobody behind him, that's worrisome.

Although a below average veteran might be more valuable at this point than another young guy with little to no experience.

AtlPackFan
09-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Well, I hope Favre's arm holds out, carrying this team through the season with the passing game, cause our running game is lookin pretty bad right now. :bang: :bang: :bang:

I hope his legs hold out! With what we have at running back that is going to responsible for picking up blitzes, he may be running for his life. I see a lot of 2nd/3rd and longs in our future and the opposing defense bringing the house.

Fritz
09-03-2007, 07:39 AM
..And in those situations, I think we're going to see Bubba Franks motioning into the backfield next to a Packer fullback, so Brett can get some protection.

I wonder if Favre gets more than a little nervous when he sees Brandon Jackson or DeShawn Wynn lining up behind him on third and seven. I would.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 07:55 AM
I wonder if Favre gets more than a little nervous when he sees Brandon Jackson or DeShawn Wynn lining up behind him on third and seven. I would.

I really think Herron is a big loss. He was an Edgar Bennett sort of player, good football instincts. I've made fun of Herron in the past for being slow, and probably he is a guy you'd like to upgrade. But he had developed some chemistry with Favre, which is what you really need from a third down back.

And unlike DeShawn Wynn, Herron nevers wears a hat indioors. :o

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 08:13 AM

I'm not so hot on either guy.

There are better players than both that were cut.