PDA

View Full Version : Denver trying to trade Mike Bell?

digitaldean
09-02-2007, 11:30 PM
POSTED 10:57 p.m. EDT, September 2, 2007

BRONCOS TRYING TO TRADE BELL

Multiple league sources tell us that the Denver Broncos are trying to trade running back Mike Bell.

Bell was the starting tailback in 2006, at the start of the season. He was the No. 3 tailback until very recently. In the wake of the release of projected starting fullback Kyle Johnson, Bell and Cecil Sapp have been moved to fullback, with Sapp as the starter.

It's not known what the Broncos are seeking for Bell, or the teams to which they are talking.

Packnut
09-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I like Bell. He's worth a conditional late rd pick.

wist43
09-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Bell is better than anyone the Packers have. TT won't give up a pick for him though.

Was shocked that he gave one up for Grant... wonder if TT's starting to feel a bit desperate about his RB situation???

GrnBay007
09-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Bell is better than anyone the Packers have. TT won't give up a pick for him though.

Was shocked that he gave one up for Grant... wonder if TT's starting to feel a bit desperate about his RB situation???

Sorry to interrupt, but Wist....or Wisty, as Tarlam would say, I noticed you have not made your 2007 Packer prediction. ......I anxiously await. :D

MadtownPacker
09-03-2007, 01:55 AM
This would be a great pick up but I dont think they will trade him for a low pick

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 08:06 AM

I too think he's as good or better than any RB we have. TT showed baby stone steps with the last deal. He should get this one done. Makes too much sense

Carolina_Packer
09-03-2007, 08:09 AM
No, I wish we had been the ones to draft Selvin Young. The Broncos always seem to be pulling these guys from their arse-enal. TT is a good talent evaluator, but they seem to be charmed when it comes to picking RB's, and obviously are not scared of FA's.

That Grant guy was for a conditional draft pick, so we are not out a draft pick if we decide to get Mike Bell and dump Grant. I hope TT is on the phone. I also wonder if we looked at Antonio Pittman who got cut by New Orleans? We should be looking at a lot of guys, given our RB situation.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 08:13 AM
I hope TT is on the phone.

I assume he is. I assume every GM is.

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 08:19 AM
No, I wish we had been the ones to draft Selvin Young. The Broncos always seem to be pulling these guys from their arse-enal. TT is a good talent evaluator, but they seem to be charmed when it comes to picking RB's, and obviously are not scared of FA's.

That Grant guy was for a conditional draft pick, so we are not out a draft pick if we decide to get Mike Bell and dump Grant. I hope TT is on the phone. I also wonder if we looked at Antonio Pittman who got cut by New Orleans? We should be looking at a lot of guys, given our RB situation.

I heard the Rams claimed him; they had priority over us because of record.

Him8123
09-03-2007, 08:32 AM
thats not right they got a good RB

jramsey495
09-03-2007, 08:33 AM
for the love of God tt, get this guy! trade one of you 8,000 dts and get someone with some experience. sad when i'm this excited about 157 career att for 677 yds and 8tds...

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I've said this a bunch, but I think they will be OK. Young legs are acctually a good thing at running back and the oline should be a good notch better than a year ago.

jramsey495
09-03-2007, 10:13 AM
prolly a moot point since it appears the draft pick traded for grant was not conditional. i certainly don't see him trading two picks for rbs.

whoever it was that said this reminded them of the rbs from the late 70's sent chills up my spine. that's true, and scary... i hope we're wrong about this....

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
The recent Morency doubt has me a little worried. Jackson, Grant and Wynn scare me.

wist43
09-03-2007, 10:26 AM

Sorry to interrupt, but Wist....or Wisty, as Tarlam would say, I noticed you have not made your 2007 Packer prediction. ......I anxiously await. :D

I'm sure there must have been a prediction thread, but I didn't see it... I'm going to come in at 7-9ish. Can't see them higher than 8-8.

Their inability to run the ball is going to put a ton of pressure on Favre and the young WR's. I don't trust Franks or Lee, I'm not convinced the OL is as good as the Kool-Aid drinkers think, the special teams still look abysmal - a couple of flashes, but still bad - and, a RB committee comprised of a gaggle of situational part timers... doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

As everyone knows, the defense is going to have to carry the team, but I fear the running game, or lack thereof, will wear the defense down by the middle of the season.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the defense come out and play well in the first 6-8 weeks, and then fade down the stretch. If a team can't run the ball, it negatively reverberates thru the team... If the Packers can't move the chains on the ground, the defense will suffer b/c of it.

vince
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM

I'm sure there must have been a prediction thread, but I didn't see it... I'm going to come in at 7-9ish. Can't see them higher than 8-8.

Their inability to run the ball is going to put a ton of pressure on Favre and the young WR's. I don't trust Franks or Lee, I'm not convinced the OL is as good as the Kool-Aid drinkers think, the special teams still look abysmal - a couple of flashes, but still bad - and, a RB committee comprised of a gaggle of situational part timers... doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

As everyone knows, the defense is going to have to carry the team, but I fear the running game, or lack thereof, will wear the defense down by the middle of the season.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the defense come out and play well in the first 6-8 weeks, and then fade down the stretch. If a team can't run the ball, it negatively reverberates thru the team... If the Packers can't move the chains on the ground, the defense will suffer b/c of it.
Wist predicting 7-9 is truly reason for optimism!

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Yes, Wist is usually about 3 games below what acctually happens :)

wist43
09-03-2007, 10:46 AM

You have insulted my honor sir!!!! If I were in possession of a quality pair of gloves, I would twice thack you upon first your right cheek, and then your left cheek.

Etiquette demands pistols at 10 paces at dawn, or epee's at 4pm - the gentry having to be free by 5pm for tea, of course. :duel: :duel:

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Hey, the realism of the last three years was pretty bad. We got pretty fortunate to win 8 games last year. Favre has a funny way of etching out more than he should though.

MJZiggy
09-03-2007, 11:08 AM

It's "stickied" at the top of the page...

wist43
09-03-2007, 11:35 AM

It's "stickied" at the top of the page...

I saw that after I posted that... the past week has been a blur. Recuperating today. Hopefully I'll get my batteries recharged today.

BTW, tell your kid thanks for pulling me 2nd for the draft draw... Packnut and Skinbasket figured there to be some conspiracy afoot, lol. :tup:

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 11:56 AM

You have insulted my honor sir!!!! If I were in possession of a quality pair of gloves, I would twice thack you upon first your right cheek, and then your left cheek.

Etiquette demands pistols at 10 paces at dawn, or epee's at 4pm - the gentry having to be free by 5pm for tea, of course. :duel: :duel:

What record did you predict last year Wist ?

Lurker64
09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Could we get him for Cole? Right now we're going to have to be sitting one of our DTs and Cole has the least upside of the lot, it seems.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Could we get him for Cole? Right now we're going to have to be sitting one of our DTs and Cole has the least upside of the lot, it seems.

I'd rather see them trade for a guy with the potential to become a starter, even if it means giving up one of the guys with more upside.

vince
09-03-2007, 12:00 PM

I'll help wist out. He predicted 4-12. Then, after the team went 8-8, he declared that, even though they were 8-8, he still considered them to be a 4-12 team, just as he predicted. :lol:

MJZiggy
09-03-2007, 12:21 PM
That was kinda funny.. :lol:

FritzDontBlitz
09-03-2007, 12:47 PM

selvin young was an undrafted free agent out of texas. denver only had 4 picks in the draft. they have him listed as "CFA" (college free agent?) which suggests he was there for the taking after the draft.

hell yes trade for mike bell. hell, i like young better than any back we've had since ahman in his prime and he's denver's FIFTH running back., so, if mike bell is one of the 4 in front of young i'd offer no less than a third rounder to scoope bell up. keep in mind that shanahan aint no punk when it comes to trades and he prolly has read about green bay's back situation so he will be a hard sell.

wist43
09-03-2007, 01:29 PM

I'll help wist out. He predicted 4-12. Then, after the team went 8-8, he declared that, even though they were 8-8, he still considered them to be a 4-12 team, just as he predicted. :lol:

Absolutely!!! Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

Did I miss something??? :doh:

Him8123
09-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Found this on a broncos message board, dont know if it was reported or speculations

Bell Unlikely to be traded
A few teams uncomfortable with their tailback depth placed calls to the Broncos this weekend.

These teams noticed how the Broncos have moved Mike Bell to fullback. In 21st-century football, tailbacks carry the ball while fullbacks generally do not. Bell rushed for eight touchdowns and a 4.3 yard-per-carry average as a rookie backup last season.

Other teams wondered: Would the Broncos be interested in trading Bell?

Not likely. The Broncos want Bell to rotate with Cecil Sapp at fullback with the No. 1 offense. And they also want Bell as tailback protection.

"You get people that go down and the halfback's got to play the fullback position," coach Mike Shanahan said after the preseason game

Thursday against Arizona. "We've seen that happen here with a number of players - Reuben Droughns to name one. Mike Anderson could play both."
For now, the Broncos are pleased with their tailback depth with Travis Henry as the starter, rookie Selvin Young as the backup and Andre Hall, who spent his rookie season last year on the Broncos' practice squad, as the No. 3 runner.

But the next NFL carry for both Young and Hall will be their first. Bell had 157 carries last year for 677 yards.

More than any other position, Broncos tailbacks are subject to produce-this-week-or-else pressure. Young and Hall are hot now, but with patience Bell may have a better chance to get a decent number of carries with the Broncos this year than he would by starting over with a new team.

Practice squad
As expected, the Broncos re-signed No. 3 quarterback Darrell Hackney and seven others to their practice squad Sunday. Hackney showed enough arm strength and mobility during the preseason for the Broncos to invest more coaching in him. Hackney completed 10-of-22 passes for 113 yards in the preseason.

Also signed to the practice squad were center Greg Eslinger, former University of Colorado lineman Mark Fenton, defensive tackle Stephen Harris, receiver Glenn Martinez, tackle Cliff Washburn and safeties Steve Cargile and Roderick Rogers.

Bloom available

Former CU receiver Jeremy Bloom went unclaimed Sunday after he was cut by Philadelphia.