View Full Version : DL-""Talented Group has little fat to trim"&q

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Talented group has little fat to trim
Final cuts leave Packers loaded along defensive line
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 2, 2007

Green Bay - Tackle Mark Tauscher was giving them a hard time Sunday during the first practice leading up to the season opener Sunday against Philadelphia.

How many defensive linemen do we need? Tauscher griped good naturedly, as a parade of 300-plus pound giants marched across him on the line of scrimmage.

Eleven, apparently.

When Packers general manager Ted Thompson made his final cuts to settle on his 53-man roster Saturday afternoon, he couldn't decide how to pick apart a talented crop of run stuffers and pass rushers.

So he just didn't.

Thus, the Packers are one of just two teams in the 32-team NFL - the other is Buffalo - with so many defensive linemen. About 21 percent of Green Bay's roster manpower is devoted to four spots -- the positions of defensive tackle and defensive end.

With that fact, the defense is clearly expected to be impetus of the 2007 Packers. It also means someone with talent and or potential is going to have to sit it out on Sunday.

Which begs the question, who? It is possible the Packers' first round draft choice, Justin Harrell, would be held inactive for the season opener?

"I would be disappointed" in that, Harrell said. "But I would have to approach it like a man and know that I would have to work harder. It would be one of those things where you'd have to swallow your pride and keep working."

Though Harrell is listed on the Packers' web site depth chart as a starter, and though he played 40 snaps in the Seattle exhibition game, he has really not been with the starters all training camp. Harrell spent Sunday with most of the other younger defensive linemen - on the scout team.

He said he isn't worried yet about playing time and will prepare for the game as if he were playing.

But last year, the Packers typically dressed eight defensive linemen. They have six defensive tackles.

Assuming Ryan Pickett starts as usual at left defensive tackle with Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins on the ends, the Packers will have to pick a starter for right defensive tackle. The leading candidates are Johnny Jolly and Corey Williams. Where will that leave Harrell, Colin Cole and Daniel Muir, all defensive tackles?

They don't yet know.

"The way we practice, anyone could go with the ones, anyone could go with the twos," said Jolly. "You might be on the work team. I mean, we never know who is going to start. Whoever they put out there, we'll be in a good position anyway. We're not missing a beat from the first group, second group, third group. When the coach takes someone out, no one is being mad, no one is getting grouchy, because we're out there working as a team."

Still, sitting out won't sit well to the veterans.

"I had to be inactive for a game last year and I wasn't happy about it," said Cole. "It's not for me to judge but anybody who is not going to play is not going to be happy."

In Thompson's defense of keeping 11, two ends are injured. Michael Montgomery and has an injured knee and did not practice Sunday. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila also has an injured knee, though he did practice some Sunday.

Still, 11 is a lot. A handful of teams have 10, but most teams with a 4-3 defense like the Packers hang on to eight or nine defensive linemen. Thompson didn't entertain any last-day trade offers for any of his defensive linemen and said he wouldn't have given any of them up unless it was a "blockbuster" deal anyway.

"I felt good about this group. I kind of wanted to keep this group together," said Thompson. "We feel like we have 11 that can play. Anytime you have big people that you feel have promise and can actually contribute and do all those things, I think you have to try to carry them if you can. ... We wanted to make sure we tried our best to keep our best 53, and that might mean the roster gets skewed a little bit."

Thompson said it is his intention to keep all 11, though injuries could deplete that group just like any other position.

"In the past four years that I have been here, there have been guys that have gone down which just put a lot of pressure on other guys," said Cole. "I think going in to this year, we wanted to be more prepared for that, in case it does happen."

However, if the Packers get in deeper trouble at running back with injuries and inexperience, the defensive linemen could also be dangled out as trade bait.
"If that would be the case, if they had to make a trade, I would think it would be somebody from the D-line," said Williams.

If the Packers do end up keeping 11 defensive linemen, though, they're going to have to figure out how they will divvy up the playing time and practice repetitions to keep their talented players content and confident.

"That might be hard, you know what I'm saying?" said Williams. "Everybody should have the attitude that they want to play. If they don't, then something is wrong with them.

"If you let it get to you, it will affect how you practice and when you do get in a game, your mind will be so messed up, thinking about, man I haven't been playing. I'm going to be ready whenever they call me, it might be this game, it might be the next game. You never know. You have to stay prepared for whatever."

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Just an idea here, but if someone gets knicked up a little we can now afford to sit them down for a week and slide the next guy in. There are some things we can do that most teams can't afford to do that will help this team stay fresh and strong up front.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Just an idea here, but if someone gets knicked up a little we can now afford to sit them down for a week and slide the next guy in. There are some things we can do that most teams can't afford to do that will help this team stay fresh and strong up front.

And if somebody from another team gets knicked up, we've got the depth to afford a trade. Ted may have been bs-ing about keeping 2 kickers, but he wasn't kidding when he threatened to hoard his defensive linemen.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Kampman had a nice interview on packers.com. I listen to them all, but for those of you who only want to waste your time on a decent one, that is a decent one.

I think the identity of this defense is the defensive line. As good as the linebackers are, it's the defensive line that makes it all possible for them. It seems wastefull to have so many good Dlineman but I think we'll all shake our fists in the fourth quarter when offenses get frustrated and can't get anything going when they are supposed to have the defense loosened up.

I think we are going to have a 4th quarter team (completely unlike the teams that folded in the past). 6 days !!

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Though Harrell is listed on the Packers' web site depth chart as a starter, and though he played 40 snaps in the Seattle exhibition game, he has really not been with the starters all training camp. Harrell spent Sunday with most of the other younger defensive linemen - on the scout team.

If Harrell has zero chance of starting on opening day, it really pisses me off that he continues to be listed as the starter.

Evidently McCarthy made a foolish mistake in touting Harrell as a starter back in June. By continuing to list him as a starter on the official depth chart, he's saying, "Ignore the depth chart, it doesn't mean anything anyway." This way he didn't screw-up by putting him there in the first place.

That depth chart they publish on the web site is a courtesy to fans. And with occasional exceptions, it is accurate. Its possible that McCarthy still has big plans for Harrell this year, good, my apologies. More likely this is face-saving.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:31 AM
I can see the ego thing HH. Everything they do says Harrell is the 4th or 5th DT but it's not listed that way. I'ts hard to tell what is going on. Maybe they are trying to really drive home the point that the depth chart doesn't mean anything to the DL by keeping Harrell there.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm like the last Japanese soldier on the South Pacific island in 1967. I'm holding out hope that Harrell is gonna be a starter relatively soon.

But my cynicism is rising.

retailguy
09-03-2007, 09:38 AM
I can see the ego thing HH. Everything they do says Harrell is the 4th or 5th DT but it's not listed that way. I'ts hard to tell what is going on. Maybe they are trying to really drive home the point that the depth chart doesn't mean anything to the DL by keeping Harrell there.

If it doesn't mean anything, why have it?

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 09:43 AM

From the sounds of it we only dress 8; that means if all are healthy three could be inactive if I read that right.

I'd be a bit surprised if Montgomery even makes this squad when he's back from injury

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 09:45 AM

If it doesn't mean anything, why have it?

After last year, that would be my vote about Free Agency too :lol:

Guiness
09-03-2007, 11:45 PM
I think TT is bluffing a little - he doesn't want to keep 11 DL, but he wanted to play the BPA game. I think he's posturing to let other teams know he's not going to release anyone, and not to bother calling him with a lowball offer - he said it would have to be a 'blockbuster'.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I think he'd be elated if his phone rang, and someone inquired about the availability of say, Cole.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2007, 01:17 AM
every week several defensive linemen get injured around the league.

they'll come a calling.

Fritz
09-04-2007, 05:50 AM
every week several defensive linemen get injured around the league.

they'll come a calling.

I don't wish this on the Pack, but of course the possibility exists that it will be one of their own that gets hurt. Then Justin Harrell can rise from the ranks of #1-on-the-depth-chart-but -inactive-in-your-hearts to dressed-for-success-but-no-place-to-play.

Cheesehead Craig
09-04-2007, 09:24 AM
He's sitting on a pile of gold on the DL and he's simply playing the waiting game. Like Harlan said, DL get hurt throughout the season, and the Packers are going to be the first stop for many of them to get some help. I think we'll end up getting above-market value for at least one if not two of them during the season. I don't think these same 11 are on the team after week 5. Not unless we have big injury issues ourselves.

wist43
09-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I think he's sincere about keeping all 11... "smarter than youism".

Of course we have no TE's, no RB's... we do, however, have 11 defensive linemen.

Maybe Harrell can line up in goal line situations and slip behind the LB's for a few cheap TD's???

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Of course we have no TE's, no RB's... we do, however, have 11 defensive linemen.

You can criticize TT for not getting a first tier TE or RB during free agency.

But its probably the case that no TEs or RBs were available (through a trade) this summer. I'd rather have Muir than Alcorn on the roster.

RashanGary
09-04-2007, 10:44 AM
"smarter than youism".

I don't think he trys it but that is pretty much what it is; smarter than most.

PackerBlues
09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
After what the Giants pulled, by declining the trade offer for Raynor, then bringing him in after he was waived, Ted is ready to get some value out of some of his better pick ups. I don't think he would have given up that draft pick if there was any way that he could have kept Raynor on the roster. He kept the guys that he will get the best value out of for a trade, and if nothing else, we have incredible depth in the DT position until someone steps up askin for a trade.

Partial
09-04-2007, 12:40 PM
After what the Giants pulled, by declining the trade offer for Raynor, then bringing him in after he was waived, Ted is ready to get some value out of some of his better pick ups. I don't think he would have given up that draft pick if there was any way that he could have kept Raynor on the roster. He kept the guys that he will get the best value out of for a trade, and if nothing else, we have incredible depth in the DT position until someone steps up askin for a trade.

Thats a big if, and if they let Williams walk this off-season without any compensation than the Harrell pick will be a waste unless he becomes a complete stud.