PDA

View Full Version : Wynn Warned Not to Get Comfortable, Morency Questionable

vince
09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
http://lacrossetribune.com/articles/2007/09/03/packers/00packers3.txt

Packers say they're not concerned about rash of RB injuries

GREEN BAY (AP) — After getting more bad news about the health of yet another running back, Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson was asked how many healthy backs he thought the team would have for Sunday's regular-season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lambeau Field.

``We've had so many changes, I've got to think this through ...'' Thompson said.

Then, he began counting, ``1 ... 2 ...''

At this point, the Packers simply don't know for sure.

Third-down back Noah Herron was placed on season-ending injured reserve Sunday following arthroscopic knee surgery.

Vernand Morency came into camp atop the depth chart but suffered a strained patellar tendon in his right knee in the July 28 camp-opening practice. He took part in the jog-through and individual drills during Sunday's practice, but how much he'll be able to do against the Eagles is unclear.

Rookie second-round pick Brandon Jackson started the first three preseason games before missing the finale with a concussion suffered in practice on Aug. 26. He received full medical clearance and went through all of Sunday's practice, proclaiming himself ready to start afterward.

Rookie seventh-round pick DeShawn Wynn, who missed most of camp with a thigh injury but came back in time to play in the preseason finale at Tennessee last Thursday, made the roster but got a stern warning not to get comfortable.

And Ryan Grant, acquired in a trade with the New York Giants during Saturday's final cuts, arrived and practiced but has a lot of catching up to do.

``We have a plan,'' Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. ``We will use them in combination. We've talked about (running back by) committee from day one. It's now time to put the committee into play.''

At this point, Jackson appears likely to start against the Eagles, while McCarthy should know more about Morency's status after the team practices today and Wednesday.

``I'm feeling better,'' said Jackson, who rushed for 131 yards on 40 carries during the preseason. ``It was nice to get out there and run around and practice, basically. I would love to start, I would love to take the reps, but I feel like that's up to Coach.''

Herron suffered his knee injury during Thursday night's preseason finale — a game he started with Morency and Jackson out — but neither Herron nor the team thought it was serious at the time. Then, when team physician Pat McKenzie performed arthroscopic surgery on the knee Saturday, further damage was discovered.

Thompson wouldn't divulge the specifics of the damage but said the doctors ``didn't think there was any way we'd get him back before the bye, and we just didn't have the luxury of being able to do that.'' The Packers' bye week is Oct. 21, after six games, meaning Herron likely tore a ligament and meniscus in his knee.

``That put us in a real bind,'' Thompson said.

Thompson said he expects Morency to be cleared to play against the Eagles, but Morency was guarded about whether he'll be ready to go.

``Because Noah got hurt, that doesn't mean my knee got better,'' Morency said. ``I can't be myself if I'm not able to do the things they brought me in to do. I'm working hard. I can tell you that. I'm trying to get out there as soon as possible.''

Grant, who finished the preseason with 90 yards on 18 carries with the Giants, arrived in time to practice with the Packers on Sunday and spent much of the day with running-backs coach Edgar Bennett trying to learn the offense.

``Hopefully it's not too much of a crash course. I feel like I can pick up things pretty quickly,'' said Grant, whom the Packers acquired for a future draft pick — one that Thompson said is not conditional, meaning they'll have to send it to the Giants regardless of how many games Grant plays. ``They threw me in the fire in practice, and I told them, 'Don't worry about me getting burned. That's how I've got to learn.'''

Wynn, meanwhile, said Thompson and McCarthy made it clear to him that his roster spot is tenuous.

``Basically, (they said) I've got to prove myself and work hard, and if they see any decline in my work ethic or my mentality, I probably won't be here long,'' said Wynn, who rushed 21 times for 54 yards against Tennessee. ``Some people may feel like I don't deserve to be on the 53-man roster. The message is pretty much to earn my keep.''
While the position would appear just as clouded as it was entering camp, Thompson maintained the stance he's held throughout: He's not concerned.

``We don't worry about things like that,'' Thompson said. ``It is what it is. Everybody has injuries and we've had our share at that position during training camp, but time marches on, so you have to keep going at it.

``We'd have liked for our whole group to be able to compete from day one, and we felt like we'd have a pretty good group at the end of it. That didn't happen. But at the end of the day, we feel pretty good about this group.''

NOTES: Thompson admitted the roster is ``skewed'' by the 11 defensive linemen he kept. As a result, the Packers have only two quarterbacks, two tight ends and five linebackers. ``(The roster) is a little bit out of balance than normal,'' Thompson said. ... The Packers claimed fullback John Kuhn on waivers from the Pittsburgh Steelers. Kuhn played nine games with the Steelers in 2006 after spending 2005 on Pittsburgh's practice squad. He takes the Herron's roster spot .... The Packers filled seven of the eight available slots on their practice squad with players who were in camp with the team: Wide receivers David Clowney and Chris Francies, tight end Clark Harris, linebacker Spencer Havner, tackle Orrin Thompson, quarterback Paul Thompson and running back Corey White.

Underperformance is obviously a recurring pattern for Wynn. He's on his last straw. It's hard to see him overcoming, but we'll see.

Morency hedging a bit on his status for this week is disappointing...

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Morency hedging a bit on his status for this week is disappointing...

Are you disappointed in Morency, or disappointed that he is likely still injured?

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 09:39 AM
I am disappointed in the fact that Morency doesn't want to toughen up and get out there and help the team. Some of his quotes sounded like if he was 100% he wasn't stepping out on the field.

Maybe he is a slow healer, I don't know. The way this league goes about reporting injuries leaves everyone high and dry.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:40 AM
You can go listen to the interview at Packers.com. He wasn't really saying that his knee is not better but that he didn't have extra pressure becuase of Noah. That was a little bit of a skewed quote.

There were times in that short interview that I got the feeling he wasn't quite ready though. In the very beginning, he just didn't sound the most confident in his knee. Just going off a hunch by his body language and tone, I think he's a week or two away. They might push it though, you never know.

vince
09-03-2007, 09:41 AM
It sounds like the coaching staff thinks he should be back by now.

It's a tough call with the limited info we fans have, but my gut tells me that he needs to toughen up and get it done. ...

Rastak
09-03-2007, 09:43 AM
I am disappointed in the fact that Morency doesn't want to toughen up and get out there and help the team. Some of his quotes sounded like if he was 100% he wasn't stepping out on the field.

Maybe he is a slow healer, I don't know. The way this league goes about reporting injuries leaves everyone high and dry.

There is a difference between playing hurt and playing injured. If his knee isn't structurally sound and healed, he definately shouldn't play.

What's up with the team threatening Wynn....LOL....that was interesting.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 09:44 AM
nuts, vince, knee tendonitus doesn't get better by playing through the pain. it's the most frustrating injury imaginable.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:46 AM
I've gotten the impression that MM wanted to keep Wynn from the very start. I think it's McCarthy's way of telling Wynn not to make him look stupid.

This brings about mild concern. Sherman had a group of bad players that were his little pets and he stuck with them through thick and thin. I hope this isn't the start of that with McCarthy. This team has been quick to cut it's losses on bad players but this one just strikes me as something that could become a problem. We'll see.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 09:49 AM
This is the first I head that the Grant pick was not conditional.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I've gotten the impression that MM wanted to keep Wynn from the very start. I think it's McCarthy's way of telling Wynn not to make him look stupid.

This brings about mild concern. Sherman had a group of bad players that were his little pets and he stuck with them through thick and thin. I hope this isn't the start of that with McCarthy. This team has been quick to cut it's losses on bad players but this one just strikes me as something that could become a problem. We'll see.

Wynn missed half of camp with injuries. There may not have been enough time with him to guage what they got.

vince
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
nuts, vince, knee tendonitus doesn't get better by playing through the pain. it's the most frustrating injury imaginable.
He has a strained patellar tendon. I'm no physician, so I don't know if that's tendonitis or what. If he shouldn't be playing, then he shouldn't be playing, but if he's cleared to play by the doctors and the coaches think he should be playing, but he's hedging, then he should toughen up.

I'll defer to those who know more, but since you asked, I told you what I thought - being ignorant of the situation myself.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:53 AM

They called it undisclosed from the very beginning and people assumed it to mean conditional. My brother said it was conditional and I told him undisclosed doesn't mean conditional as far as I know. I think it was a big misunderstanding accross the board.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 09:55 AM

Well if that is what it is I know it is a painful thing to deal with, look at Hodge, but wtf? I may be wrong but you just don't get knee tendinitis the first day of camp, you either come in with it, or it develops over time.

I guess it could also occur with taking a hit on the knee and swelling causes fluid to build up under the knee cap and and hurt the patella tendon, but I ain't no doctor. If I was I would call myself DR. Nutz

vince
09-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I listened to the same press conference that this was taken from, and I didn't hear him say it wasn't conditional. He said it was undisclosed and joked with the press about how everyone says he would never trade a pick, but he did.

I didn't interpret the last statement he made to mean that the pick wasn't conditional, but this guy must have.

MJZiggy
09-03-2007, 10:00 AM

Wynn came with a history. I think they want to make sure he understands that he is not to get the idea that he can sail along because he got himself a roster spot. They need to keep him hungry if they're gonna get the best out of him.

Rastak
09-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Wynn came with a history. I think they want to make sure he understands that he is not to get the idea that he can sail along because he got himself a roster spot. They need to keep him hungry if they're gonna get the best out of him.

Well, if implied threats are needed perhaps they should have just cut him and find someone who is self motivated.....LOL.....

MJZiggy
09-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Ummmm....he's an RB, and if you take a look at our RB committee right now...

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Wynn has talent and potential and if you have that you can be warned your whole life.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Q: Was the trade a conditional pick, was it a 7th rounder?

A: It was undisclosed. See you guys say I never trade a pick. I traded a pick for a player.

Undisclosed as I understand the word means not revealed. The definition of undisclosed wouldn't mean it is also conditional. It could be a conditional undisclosed pick but they never said that and that is what TT was trying to clarify.

It's pretty consistant with the veil of secrecy thing that Ted does over there. Maybe he doesn't want anyone to know just how high of a pick he gave up so nobody has any leverage power on him for other RB's this week and heading into the season. It's just a way of not letting anyone know what he gave up, it doesn't mean that it's conditional though.

Rastak
09-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Q: Was the trade a conditional pick, was it a 7th rounder?

A: It was undisclosed. See you guys say I never trade a pick. I traded a pick for a player.

Undisclosed as I understand the word means not revealed. The definition of undisclosed wouldn't mean it is also conditional. It could be a conditional undisclosed pick but they never said that and that is what TT was trying to clarify.

It's pretty consistant with the veil of secrecy thing that Ted does over there. Maybe he doesn't want anyone to know just how high of a pick he gave up so nobody has any leverage power on him for other RB's this week and heading into the season. It's just a way of not letting anyone know what he gave up, it doesn't mean that it's conditional though.

I think people are going to find out.....LOL....what's the nig secret?

vince
09-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Ras, watch yourselfj! That talk belongs on the KKK board. :twisted:

Rastak
09-03-2007, 10:20 AM

Damn laptop keyboard......BIG secret.....big........

anyway, nfl.com just calls it a future draft pick. Doesn't say conditional.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:21 AM
People won't find out for a while and by the time the do they won't be able to get a feel for what TT is willing to give up for a RB.

Who knows why the secrecy. It's the way the do buisness over there. Denver and NE are the same way. These guys are paranoid.

vince
09-03-2007, 10:23 AM

Damn laptop keyboard......BIG secret.....big........

anyway, nfl.com just calls it a future draft pick. Doesn't say conditional.
You're right that - unless the pick is conditional - there is no good reason not to disclose it, as it will come out eventually anyway. My guess is that the writer is mistaken.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:24 AM
You're right that - unless the pick is conditional - there is no good reason not to disclose it, as it will come out eventually anyway. My guess is that the writer is mistaken.

My guess is that TT is just a secretive guy and it really is a pick, just not one that he's willing to share until he absolutely has to.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
http://giants.lohudblogs.com/2007/09/01/final-cuts/

These guys say it's a 6th. I wouldn't be at all suprised if this is accurate.

vince
09-03-2007, 10:45 AM
That's corroborated by this article...
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070903/PKR01/709030560/1989

The Packers had offered Rayner to the Giants in the Saturday trade that brought running back Ryan Grant to Green Bay. Instead, the Giants wanted a draft pick, which turned out to be a sixth-round pick that contained no conditions on Grant being on the roster for any certain length of time.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Makes sense. It would jive perfectly with the undisclosed title and contridict the condition title which is exactly what was said after the trade. No suprised, just some confusion because we're not used to seeing the undiclosed title with a pick.

vince
09-03-2007, 10:47 AM
As usual, the information comes out - which is why I don't know why Ted wouldn't just disclose it and move on.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:47 AM
I was just reading through some Giants forums. They thought the guy was a good running back. Some guys were pissed that he was traded. Nobody said he sucked. It was pretty universal that he was good. Similar to the Carolina vibes that we got from Jarrett Bush last year. Also, TT giving up a 6th gives me a little optimism. That is like another team giving up a 4th and Sherman giving up a 2nd.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 10:49 AM
It kind of sucks when you make a deal with one team, and then are trying to work a trade with another team and they then know what you are willing to part with for a certain type of player.

Trust me he isn't just trying to keep the fans in the dark, its not always about us people.

vince
09-03-2007, 10:49 AM
In related news, Rayner heading to New York for a tryout with the Giants...

falco
09-03-2007, 10:50 AM
In related news, Rayner heading to New York for a tryout with the Giants...

Too bad we couldn't have sent Rayner there for the RB.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:51 AM
It kind of sucks when you make a deal with one team, and then are trying to work a trade with another team and they then know what you are willing to part with for a certain type of player.

Trust me he isn't just trying to keep the fans in the dark, its not always about us people.

I agree.

vince
09-03-2007, 10:57 AM

I see what you're saying. Given the fact that Thompson could very well still be shopping for another RB as we speak, that makes sense.

jramsey495
09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I was just reading through some Giants forums. They thought the guy was a good running back. Some guys were pissed that he was traded. Nobody said he sucked. It was pretty universal that he was good. Similar to the Carolina vibes that we got from Jarrett Bush last year. Also, TT giving up a 6th gives me a little optimism. That is like another team giving up a 4th and Sherman giving up a 2nd.

the fact that they liked him makes me feel a very little bit better... i still wish it was a 7th. guy hasn't played a down in a regular season game...

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 11:16 AM
http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/412369.aspx

This looks like a good Giants forum. Bretsky found this originally. I found another, smaller thread

http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/412469.aspx

esoxx
09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
said Wynn, who rushed 21 times for 54 yards against Tennessee. ``Some people may feel like I don't deserve to be on the 53-man roster.

esoxx would be one of those people that feel you don't deserve to be on the 53 man roster.

George likes spicy chicken.

Guiness
09-03-2007, 03:02 PM

Time to bring back the Secret Squirrel avatar! :D

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 03:24 PM
http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/412369.aspx

This looks like a good Giants forum. Bretsky found this originally. I found another, smaller thread

http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/412469.aspx

Thanks for posting the links JH. I looked through em, and it looks for the most part like the Giants fans all liked Grant, and were happy that he would get a chance to start elsewhere.

swede
09-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Does it seem to any of the rest of you that GMs are starting to play more "games" with their rosters than they have in previous years? I surmise it is done in hope of trading surplus NFL caliber players during the early weeks of the season to cover weaknesses or injury.

I heard that Denver was keeping five running backs, and we have 11 def. linemen, and even TT humorously attempted to run the bluff that he was keeping two kickers.

If Rayner signs with the Giants they get a good kicker and our 6th round pick for an unknown RB that scouts universally yawn at. TT got played pretty good.

Rastak
09-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Does it seem to any of the rest of you that GMs are starting to play more "games" with their rosters than they have in previous years? I surmise it is done in hope of trading surplus NFL caliber players during the early weeks of the season to cover weaknesses or injury.

I heard that Denver was keeping five running backs, and we have 11 def. linemen, and even TT humorously attempted to run the bluff that he was keeping two kickers.

If Rayner signs with the Giants they get a good kicker and our 6th round pick for an unknown RB that scouts universally yawn at. TT got played pretty good.

I don't think TT got played pretty good. Nobody keeps two kickers unless one has a crap leg and the other is the kickoff specialist. I don't think anyone in the NFL was buying that keep two kickers deal. I have absolutely no clue on the guy they paid the 6th round pick for so I couldn't begin to guess if he's worth it. It was worth bluffing on the kicker deal but that was a longshot.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 03:59 PM

I don't think TT got played pretty good. Nobody keeps two kickers unless one has a crap leg and the other is the kickoff specialist. I don't think anyone in the NFL was buying that keep two kickers deal. I have absolutely no clue on the guy they paid the 6th round pick for so I couldn't begin to guess if he's worth it. It was worth bluffing on the kicker deal but that was a longshot.

Under normal circumstances I'd say we got played. But given the injuries, and lack of depth, a 6th rounder seems worth it.

Lurker64
09-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Under normal circumstances I'd say we got played. But given the injuries, and lack of depth, a 6th rounder seems worth it.

Plus this year, we have three rookies drafted in the sixth round making the roster and two of them starting. Has that ever happened in the history of the NFL? Can we really afford to make a habit of it?

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Plus this year, we have three rookies drafted in the sixth round making the roster and two of them starting. Has that ever happened in the history of the NFL? Can we really afford to make a habit of it?

Well one is a kicker, and I don't count kickers. It was a pretty good 6th round effort.

LEWCWA
09-03-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't know if anyone else has said it, but it is a bad day when your feeling bad about losing Noah Herron for the year.

motife
09-04-2007, 05:02 PM
I think Wynn looks pretty cool.. He reminds me of my favorite all time Green Bay Packer....

http://www.snakevenom12.net/images/Brockington_John10.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I think Wynn looks pretty cool.. He reminds me of my favorite all time Green Bay Packer....

Brent Fullwood?

Damn, I am still in search of a John Brockington poster. One Christmass back in the 70's, I ordered a JB poster for a present for my little brother. It never came in the mail, and I gave him a gag gift instead that I am too embarassed to describe. The wounds have never healed, and now you simply can not find a JB poster, even on eBay.

motife
09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
see what I mean?

http://i.packers.com/pg/2007-08-30/photo16.jpg

I wasn't THAT disappointed in Brent Fullwood. He had one halfways decent year.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2007, 05:58 PM
ya, Fullwood was quite a hard runner. Just had injuries and (the rumor mill says) a surly personality.

I think Wynn looks like he could be a player.

gbgary
09-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Damn, I am still in search of a John Brockington poster...you simply can not find a JB poster, even on eBay.

man, he was great wasn't he!!!!!??

swede
09-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Damn, I am still in search of a John Brockington poster...you simply can not find a JB poster, even on eBay.

Willie Wood and John Brockington were two of the guys we always wanted to be when playing football in the backyard. What was the story on why the guy flamed out so quickly. Was it a knee injury in the time before good medical care?

Willard
09-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Willie Wood and John Brockington were two of the guys we always wanted to be when playing football in the backyard. What was the story on why the guy flamed out so quickly. Was it a knee injury in the time before good medical care?

I was always Brockington during our backyard games. My brother was MacCarthur Lane. Now that was a solid backfield!

esoxx
09-04-2007, 10:23 PM
What was the story on why the guy flamed out so quickly. Was it a knee injury in the time before good medical care?

Brockington says factors included trading Mac Lane and taking out the Slant 37 run play he ran so well. Remember how JB would begin stutter stepping and look tentative later in his career? New plays were installed that didn't play to his strengths.

He was one of the best in the league and they take out what he did best. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Further proof of incompetence in the Packer organization during the '70's.

From the Racine Journal Times:

"It looked like he was on his way to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but then in his fourth year, he went into a decline," said Lee Remmel, the Packers' long-time executive public relations director. "And then the decline became more accentuated in his fifth year and he was never the same after that."

Brockington insists that his muscles, tendons and ligaments were no worse for the wear after absorbing so many hits for so many years. What did wear on him was the loss of Lane, who was traded by first-year coach Bart Starr prior to the 1975 season.

"When they traded Mac Lane, my attitude got real bad. I started to sulk. He was a great friend, a great football player, the best blocking back you ever saw," Brockington said. "I mean, this guy could uproot linebackers, man. He was a force."

And when Starr's offensive coordinator, Paul Roach, scrapped Brockington's favorite weakside slant play in 1975, that was the clincher. It was all but over for a man who might have had so many more yards to run with his powerful legs.

"At the same time (of the Lane trade), we had a new running backs coach in Paul Roach and he took away the slant, which was the play that Jim Taylor made famous," Brockington said. "It was my favorite play, too. And we put in the 38-39, which was running under control until you see a crack and then – boom – take it.

"I just could not slow down enough. That play just did not sit with me because I was never used to throttling down once I had the ball in my hands."

By 1978, before Brockington had even reached his 30th birthday, he would be out of football for good.

motife
09-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Mcarthur Lane was built like a brick you know what. Nobody was built as good as Lane, he was like one big twisted steel torso of mucsle. He looked like Tookie Williams, I'm not kidding.

http://x82.xanga.com/1e1832f606309110204810/b78374952.jpg

http://worldofwonder.net/image1/0002003v-1.jpg

Fritz
09-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Anybody remember that MacArthur Lane could also throw the halfback option pass?

I'd always heard Brockington got worn out. This stuff above is all new to me. Why would you change the offense in a way that didn't suit the skills of a guy who'd been a stud for a few years? I guess you've got to run your own offense, but then you've got to find players that fit that system. Starr didn't manage that.

Carolina_Packer
09-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Cool pictures!

2 thoughts from me...

1) It's too bad that TT didn't react more quickly to the injury bug, seeing how Morency and Wynn both were out, and were getting behind. I think he hesitated and it might cost the team. I can understand that at this point of training camp, you didn't know what teams would want or accept, and there was probably no street free agent worth picking up. Then when Jackson got a concussion and Herron was injured, that further clouded the picture. It certainly didn't clear up when Wynn came back, since they told him not to get too comfortable. I take that to mean they could use his roster spot to get another running back (or perhaps a 12th D-lineman). Now Morency is slow to mend. I realize that we could still be in this situation with anyone that we might have signed and that the situation kind of got out of hand.

2) Grant must not be a stiff, otherwise why not instead go after someone who was let go in a last cutdown from some other team and not give up a 6th rounder (or whatever it was)? TT was a bit over a barrell with his fluid situation at RB, but again, I don't think he'd give up any draft pick if he thought a guy from waivers would do just as well. He must have scouted Grant and thought he fit the system well, or the dart landed on Grant.

CaliforniaCheez
09-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Wynn has talent and potential and if you have that you can be warned your whole life.

Potential is a coach killer. Many players have it until they are forced out of the league. Best be apprehensive.

Wynn has a poor attitude and does not posses the mental toughness to make it in the NFL.

Before his rookie season is completed or terminated Wynn will be complaining with the B word about something.

Badgerinmaine
09-05-2007, 10:36 AM
MacArthur Lane was a fantastic blocker...what a great backfield that was in '72.

Another Lane memory: I have an NFL Films VHS tape, "NFL Goes Motown"--sets game film to Motown music really well. One of the segments shows Lane, after he left GB and was playing for Kansas City, scoring a touchdown, handing the ball to a little white kid in a Chiefs stocking cap in the endzone and giving him a low ten (as opposed to a high five). Great shot...

Badgerinmaine
09-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Anybody remember that MacArthur Lane could also throw the halfback option pass?
I remembered, but he did it less than I had thought. I looked it up on databasefootball.com, and his lifetime passing stats were 3 for 5 for 42 yards and 1 TD--all with the Packers (he never threw a pass for the Cardinals or Chiefs).

I wonder if that picture of Mac was from the '72 playoff game the Packers lost to Washington? I was just barely too young to remember the Super Bowl teams, so that's the first Packers playoff game I remember firsthand. It was very, very painful.