PDA

View Full Version : Viking Woes

Scott Campbell
05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
PFT Rumour Mill

POSTED 9:15 p.m. EDT, May 2, 2006

FRAN GETTING FLUSHED

Man, a lot can happen when a guy spends most of a day screwing around with his law practice and coaching his kid's baseball team.

Kevin Seifert of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Vikings are negotiating a contract buyout with V.P. of player personnel Fran Foley.

That's the nicest way possible of saying that Fran's ass is getting fired.

And good for the Vikings, for owner Zygi Wilf, and for anyone else responsible for forcing Foley to be truly accountable for multiple resume embellishments and/or fabrications.

It's also a certain measure of vindication, given than we (and we alone) called for Foley's ouster after he disclosed on April 21 a wave of previously ignored resume misstatements . . . and then tried to say that one of the biggest untruths wasn't actually untrue.

As we opined at the time: "The things that we humans say and do are windows into our hearts, minds, and souls. Regardless of whether Foley is dumb, corrupt, or amoral, this entire experience proves to us that he doesn't 'get it' -- and that he therefore is unfit to be in control of the personnel department of an NFL team."

The only thing that confuses us is why in the world the Vikes would negotiate a buy out. Fire him. Let him sue for the balance of the contract. The guy padded his resume via a string of embellishments, and most companies include in their hiring materials an acknowledgement that the employee will be poop-canned if it's later determined that the employee lied about anything in the hiring process.

To the extent that the Vikes (or any other team, for that matter) haven't protected themselves with contractual language permitting a guy like Foley to be released without any further entitlement to pay, here's a sample clause . . . courtesy of your friends at PFT.

"Employee realizes that the offer of employment was made in express reliance upon the accuracy and veracity of all information provided by Employee to Employer prior to the extension of an offer. Employee acknowledges that Employer shall have the right to immediately sever the employment relationship with Employee if it is learned at any point during the term of this Agreement that Employee misrepresented any fact or facts regarding Employee's education or experience. Employee agrees to forfeit any claim to continued compensation or other benefits under this Agreement if Employer terminates the relationship based upon a reasonable, good-faith belief that Employee has misrepresented any fact or facts regarding Employee's education or experience."

lynn dickey
05-02-2006, 09:01 PM
This is like that small part of you that is happy when someone from a rival team suffers a career ending injury because it helps your team even though you know it could ruin their life. I guess this is different because this guy made his bed and now he's sleeping in it. In that case, couldn't happen to a better team... I hate the queens.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2006, 09:07 PM
The dude is getting fired for embellishing his resume?

imscott72
05-02-2006, 09:13 PM

Yeah good thing they talked with his references and past employers... :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2006, 09:37 PM
ESPN's Page 2 had a joke.

They said that the Culpepper and Moss trades were the worst trades since "Russia's Baron Edouard de Stoeckl sent Alaska to William Seward for $7.2 million and an archipelago to be named later."

Rastak
05-02-2006, 09:37 PM

No, for being a dickhead I think. For blowing that 2nd round pick...(after a few days of thinking about it, I think they blundered by not trading down to get Ryan Cook). I don't think the Jackson pick was a mistake given his coach said several GM's called him last week and he felt Jackson would get picked in round three. I do applaud Zygi for recognizing a mistake and immediately rectifying it if this is true. he must have really interviewed well is all I can say. That assumes any of the story is true of course.

MadtownPacker
05-02-2006, 09:48 PM
I never feel bad for ANY big exec type that gets canned. He aint hurting when it comes to cash. Screw him. Nice that he at least hurt a rival on the way out.

K-town
05-02-2006, 09:53 PM
I could make a snotty comment that this is the same organization that gave George O'Leary a shot after his "embellished" resume got his ass fired from Notre Dame.
But out of respect to RASTAK and ND72, I won't.
:mrgreen:

Guiness
05-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Wow. All we have to do to succeed in the NFC North is not screw up, and the rest of the division will fall apart around us.

Detroit has Millen ('nuff said), the Vikes always seem to have character problems, and the Bears...well, they're the Bears.

I mean, the Vikes almost had an OWNER who lied on his resume for crying out loud.

Rastak - kudos for even showing your face in this thread!

mngolf19
05-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Same org but new owner. Gotta give them the opportunity to show what they can do. Again, I can't complain about an owner who is trying and fails. That's better than what the last owner was doing.

Homer Jay
05-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I think it was Tom Powers who said the Vikings got Ryan Cook for Culpepper. Great move

mngolf19
05-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I think it was Tom Powers who said the Vikings got Ryan Cook for Culpepper. Great move

Aligning the 2 players makes ZERO sense. They rid themselves of Culpepper for character and injury issues. Some questions on his ability as well. They used that pick to draft a player they wanted, and possibly need. Seems easy to me. If Philly had traded T.O. away for a draft pick, would you align those 2 players, absolutely not. Powers is useless as a writer, just trying to create something.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Same org but new owner. Gotta give them the opportunity to show what they can do. Again, I can't complain about an owner who is trying and fails. That's better than what the last owner was doing.

I have to agree here. Zygi has to be better than Red, because Red was the worst.

jack's smirking revenge
05-05-2006, 11:09 AM
The Vikes may have screwed up in later rounds, but they did pretty darn good at the top, securing two possible starters for their defense, which was pretty darn good in 2005. They're a solid team with a great D-line. They can survive a hiccup like a couple busted picks and be alright. At least they didn't have years of bad picks (way to go Sherm!)....

tyler