PDA

View Full Version : Childress an idiot?

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 11:02 AM
I was just starting to think about how dumb it was that Childress called out Bellichick as dishonest so I started to browse PFT for the rumor scoop. Turns out many people think that guy is a complete tard for doing that. The Vikings are just a mess, IMO. They hired that guy without so much as conducting one other interview. TT goes out and hires a complete unknown after 6 legit interviews and seems to hit gold while the Vikes try to find the biggest name, rush thorugh it and flop like usual. Anyway, this is what PFT said:

CHILDRESS ASKING FOR TROUBLE

Regardless of his motivation for sharing with the media a conversation that he claims to have had with Pats coach Bill Belichick regarding maneuverings at the bottom of their respective rosters, the early reaction from league insiders regarding the harsh comments from Vikings coach Brad Childress regarding Belichick is that Childress made an enormous blunder.

Said one source: "Why, in God's name, is Brad Childress talking about Bill Belichick to the press? Is [Childress] a complete and senseless moron? He basically insults one of the most powerful coaches in the league by calling him out as dishonest. He's an idiot coach."

We tend to agree. As a reader astutely observed, the coaching industry at the NFL level is fueled by relationships. When a coach is fired and begins to look for other work, he relies on those relationships. So why would any head coach gratuitously alienate a current head coach who has plenty of friends?

Indeed, if Childress is accurate in his belief that Belichick was trying to leverage the Vikings into not claiming tight end Garrett Mills on waivers, who's to say that Belichick won't eventually try to leverage some other team into not giving a job to Childress when/if/when he's fired by the Vikings?

Rastak
09-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I thought it was funny as hell. Ole Bill thinks he owns the f'ing league. Calling a team and threatening to take their player if they don't back off a claim isn't going to be viewed nicely by the NFL.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 11:06 AM
The microphone is not Brad's friend. He said a bunch of stupid stuff last year too.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Calling a team and threatening to take their player if they don't back off a claim isn't going to be viewed nicely by the NFL.

So call the league office. Don't call a press conference.

MJZiggy
09-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Of course Childress is an idiot. That's just being true to form...

Rastak
09-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Calling a team and threatening to take their player if they don't back off a claim isn't going to be viewed nicely by the NFL.

So call the league office. Don't call a press conference.

The I wouldn't be able to laugh about it!

Probably would have been a better move though....same result in the end.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I thought it was funny as hell. Ole Bill thinks he owns the f'ing league. Calling a team and threatening to take their player if they don't back off a claim isn't going to be viewed nicely by the NFL.

The owner of the Vikings needs to contact the NFL and get help finding a real, legit football guy to hand the teams GM responsibility over. They need to then give complete power to whoever that guy is and stay the fuck out of football decisions.

They are a mess now and they have been for years. I acctually hope they get it fixed before they get moved because fans like Rastak deserve a team in Minnesota.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 11:12 AM
I acctually hope they get it fixed before they get moved because fans like Rastak deserve a team in Minnesota.

Agreed. All 3 of them deserve better than this.

CaptainKickass
09-03-2007, 11:49 AM

The owner of the Vikings needs to contact the NFL and get help finding a real, legit football guy to hand the teams GM responsibility over. They need to then give complete power to whoever that guy is and stay the fuck out of football decisions.

They are a mess now and they have been for years. I acctually hope they get it fixed before they get moved because fans like Rastak deserve a team in Minnesota.

IF the Queens were to actually move....how do you all think the divisions would be...well...divided?

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 11:52 AM
IF the Queens were to actually move....how do you all think the divisions would be...well...divided?

Wouldn't it make sense that we'd pick up the Rams in the NFC North, and the NFC West would pick up the Vikings?

CaptainKickass
09-03-2007, 12:04 PM

Wouldn't it make sense that we'd pick up the Rams in the NFC North, and the NFC West would pick up the Vikings?

I guess that would make sense if the Queens moved to LA. But what if they move elsewhere?

Oh yeah - and to address the topic, Childress does indeed appear to be an idiot. So far I'm glad we got M3 over him.

FritzDontBlitz
09-03-2007, 12:35 PM

i think matt millen will be available soon.

but yes, i agree. if the conversation went the way childress said then belichick was trying to leverage him. i also agree that childress is a fool for calling belichick dishonest. when i read the exchange between the two all i saw was the way the nfl does business.

i guess childress never pays attention to how players seem to flow back and forth between teams that have established networks: seattle and green bay, green bay and houston, etc etc. there is obviously some familiarity involved, and it would be foolish to think there's no front office comraderie involved when people have worked together for years?

god, i just love the way other nfc north teams shoot themselves in the foot. i remember watching the vikings in an exhibition game and the announcers keep griping about the lack of accuracy from their quaterbacks. tavaris jackson? todd bouman? what, they couldnt wrest wade wilson away from the bears? ha!

gonna be us and them mangy ol' bears agin, i can just feel it in muh bones. childress is the next rod marinelli, and the only thing sweeter than knowing that ineptness is at the helm of two divisional foes is watching a highlight reel of rex grossman turnovers.

and yes, i know: that could take a while.....

esoxx
09-03-2007, 01:01 PM
I've long maintained Childress is in over his head. This is just further proof of his incompetence.

No need to mention his conversation with Bellichick to the press whatsoever, so why do so? What can possibly be gained?

Every day the Vikings continue with Chilly at the helm is another day their ship will continue sinking.

The worst thing you can do is live with a mistake, and the Vikings made a mistake making this guy their HC.

motife
09-03-2007, 01:30 PM
here's some more Bellichick arrogance on display :

Peter King, in his top 500 NFL players, said regarding ranking Jets safety Kerry Rhodes as the 29th best player in the NFL and Bills tackle Jason Peters as the 39th, justified his decision by saying: "I wouldn't move them down even if Bill Belichick called and said, "Neither of those guys could make my team."

Somehow, Cimini saw the hypothetical quote that was attributed to Belichick, without noticing the words that make the quote clearly hypothetical.

Wrote Cimini for an item that was published on September 1:

"The Jets' season opener against the Patriots still is eight days away, but the first salvo already has been fired. It's from an unlikely source: Bill Belichick, who usually is careful about not providing bulletin-board fodder to the opponent.

"Belichick takes aim at safety Kerry Rhodes, ripping one of the Jets' best players in the current issue of Sports Illustrated. In a story that ranks the top 500 players in the NFL, Belichick offers his take on the rankings of Rhodes (29th) and Bills tackle Jason Peters (39th).

"'Neither of those guys could make my team,' Belichick told the magazine."

The incorrect story lingered into Saturday afternoon, even though the Daily News surely had been flooded with calls and e-mails from readers regarding the obvious error. Eventually, Cimini added an item to his online blog regarding his grievous gaffe:

"Now it's time for a mea culpa. I made a mistake in today's paper, misinterpreting a passage in the current issue of Sports Illustrated that mentions S Kerry Rhodes and Patriots coach Bill Belichick. I attributed a quote to Belichick that he did not say; it was used by the writer as a hypothetical quote.

"I like Belichick. I've known him for 10 years and I certainly never would knowingly print an erroneous quote just to make a person look bad. It was a misinterpretation. I pride myself on accuracy and, this time, I goofed. I have apologized to all parties, and I will apologize to Rhodes the next time I see him.

"What can I say? Today, I deserve to be on waivers."

We agree that Cimini deserves to be on waivers, but not because of his error. We believe that Cimini knew damn well what the article said, and that he intentionally chose to use the mistaken quote as a way to stir up Rhodes and the rest of the team prior to a Week One grudge match with Belichick's team.

Consider this passage from Cimini's original item: "Rhodes burst out laughing when the quote was read to him in the Jets' locker room after Thursday night's preseason finale in Philadelphia. He laughed so loud that a couple of teammates, dressing nearby, turned around to check out the fuss."

So Cimini misread the hard-to-misread sentence from King's item, in our view, at least four times: once when he first read it, twice when he read it again because he couldn't believe his eyes the first time, a third time when he read it to Rhodes on Thursday night, and a fourth time when he sat down to write his Saturday article.

Further supporting our belief that Cimini knew damn well what he was doing if that the Jets don't seem to be interested in allowing the record to be set straight with Rhodes. Writes King in his MMQB item, "I think I'm not surprised I haven't heard back from the Jets yet on the story. I called the Jets on Saturday and said I'd like to speak with Rhodes to tell him Belichick never said what was reported. As of this morning, I haven't gotten a call back. I don't expect one either. Why would they allow Rhodes to call me back? Why lessen his motivation, stoked even higher by what he thinks is Belichick's colossal dis, by letting him hear the truth? Coaches -- Belichick, Eric Mangini, even high school coaches -- love to motivate their players any way possible, even when they know that something they're using either isn't true or probably isn't true."

Taking it all a step farther, we're tempted to conclude that the Jets put Cimini up to it in the first place. Sure, it would violate multiple principles of journalism if Cimini were to allow the subject of his reporting to persuade him to intentionally make a blatant error in order to provide some external motivation for the team. But so what? If Cimini were to go along with something like this, he would become the beat writer of choice for the coaching staff and the front office (if he doesn't already hold that title).

Finally, we love the timing of Cimini's vow to "apologize to Rhodes the next time I see him." Cimini's beat is the New York Jets; surely, he knows how to reach Rhodes before "the next time [he] see[s] him."

Then again, Cimini likely won't see Rhodes until after the Week One game between the Jets and the Patriots.

Rastak
09-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I've long maintained Childress is in over his head. This is just further proof of his incompetence.

No need to mention his conversation with Bellichick to the press whatsoever, so why do so? What can possibly be gained?

Every day the Vikings continue with Chilly at the helm is another day their ship will continue sinking.

The worst thing you can do is live with a mistake, and the Vikings made a mistake making this guy their HC.

With all due respect, that ass Bellichick tries to strongarm the Vikings into not taking their guy and Chilly calls him on it. Woe is me, he tells the public during a radio interview. You can argue he's an idiot for a few different reasons but I ain't buying this one.

motife
09-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree with Rastak. Bellichick is the one who's borderline nuts.

Buys houses, jewelry, clothes, cars for a married woman he's having an affair with.. barely even grunts out words.. won't shake his ex-assistant Mangini's hand after a game..

He's a real piece of work.

plus, he dresses like a complete slob. wears clothes with holes in them at games, etc. no one's ever seen him in anything but a ripped sweatshirt.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2007, 02:26 PM
With all due respect, that ass Bellichick tries to strongarm the Vikings into not taking their guy and Chilly calls him on it. Woe is me, he tells the public during a radio interview. You can argue he's an idot for a few different reasons but I ain't buying this one.

I agree, but if Favre had said something like this publicly, you would have said he should have kept his trap shut.
:D

Rastak
09-03-2007, 02:36 PM
With all due respect, that ass Bellichick tries to strongarm the Vikings into not taking their guy and Chilly calls him on it. Woe is me, he tells the public during a radio interview. You can argue he's an idot for a few different reasons but I ain't buying this one.

I agree, but if Favre had said something like this publicly, you would have said he should have kept his trap shut.
:D

LOL, yea because he isn't in the front office and it isn't his business....

Actually I think I only said that when he called out Walker...that one I thought should have been private. To be honest, Favre has been pretty vocal on the Packers front office moves.....but we digress.....

KYPack
09-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I think it works like this.

Childress is a solid X and O's guy whois in way over his head as an NFL coach.

Belichik is an arrogant asshole who happens to be a brilliant coach.

One will be in the league as long as he wants to caoch.

The other will be gone to return nevermore.

Guiness
09-03-2007, 04:24 PM

With all due respect, that ass Bellichick tries to strongarm the Vikings into not taking their guy and Chilly calls him on it. Woe is me, he tells the public during a radio interview. You can argue he's an idiot for a few different reasons but I ain't buying this one.

I agree with you Rastak. Bellichick tried to strong arm Childress, and he called him on it. Good for him to have the gonads to do it - Bell carries a lot of weight in this league. But then he aired the dirty laundry, which was not smart.

I wonder how often this really happens? Maybe it's common place, but Childress being new at HC didn't know it and thought he was being picked on.

Rastak
09-03-2007, 04:34 PM

I agree with you Rastak. Bellichick tried to strong arm Childress, and he called him on it. Good for him to have the gonads to do it - Bell carries a lot of weight in this league. But then he aired the dirty laundry, which was not smart.

I wonder how often this really happens? Maybe it's common place, but Childress being new at HC didn't know it and thought he was being picked on.

Outstanding question Guiness.....I don't know how much this sort of thing goes on....if it is very common then I would say Chilly is stupid to say it in public...if it is not, bravo for outing the odd one in NE.

The Leaper
09-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Bill may be a genius, but he isn't viewed favorably in the league as a person. I don't think any of the other 31 teams in the league would do a favor for the league's worst dressed coach.

So, it is unlikely that this really has any impact on Childress IMO.

CaliforniaCheez
09-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Just as Lions fans look back warmly at the good ol' days of Wayne Fontes,
viking customers will look back at the good ol' days of Mike Tice.

Rastak
09-03-2007, 05:40 PM

and the Packer fans look back on Mike Holmgren.....alas, the past is always the best isn't it....

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 05:44 PM

and the Packer fans look back on Mike Holmgren.....alas, the past is always the best isn't it....

They get remembered for different things. Holmgren for winning a Superbowl, and developing Favre. Fontes for squandering Barry Sander's talent, and hanging onto his job too long. And Tice for that pencil behind his ear, and boat tours.

BallHawk
09-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Actually I think I only said that when he called out Walker...that one I thought should have been private. To be honest, Favre has been pretty vocal on the Packers front office moves.....but we digress.....

I think that a lot of people here think that Favre is too vocal, no matter how storied his legacy is. He's a player and he should keep his mouth shut on personnel issues. Some things Favre says are true, but he should keep those thoughts to himself.

Favre calling out Walker, even though what he said was true, was idiotic. How much of an affect it had on Walker, I don't know. But calling out your teammate, in public, is just stupid. Have a meeting behind closed doors, but to announce it to the world.... :roll:

BallHawk
09-03-2007, 05:50 PM
I guess that would make sense if the Queens moved to LA. But what if they move elsewhere?

If the Vikings wanted to move, there is no way they would go anywhere else but L.A. What other major markets don't have a team? And which of those markets can provide a fanbase and revenue that LA could?

Fritz
09-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm just glad child-man is not the coach of the Packers. He's all yours, Rastak.

packinpatland
09-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Bill may be a genius, but he isn't viewed favorably in the league as a person. I don't think any of the other 31 teams in the league would do a favor for the league's worst dressed coach.

"but he isn't viewed favorably in the league as a person."

In the league????? No one likes the man!!!

Lurker64
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM

At the same time, though I'm certainly not a fan of your squad Rastak, there was a lot to like about Tice and I think he got a bad deal in Minny, just because of what kind of guy he was. He sounded like a doofus, and he told everyone in the media everything, but at the same time he was a pretty good motivator and not a bad coach. I'm pretty sure that your squad last year would have done better than 6-10 with Tice at the helm, then again you'd probably have a different avatar if that were the case.

packinpatland
09-03-2007, 07:02 PM

At the same time, though I'm certainly not a fan of your squad Rastak, there was a lot to like about Tice and I think he got a bad deal in Minny, just because of what kind of guy he was. He sounded like a doofus, and he told everyone in the media everything, but at the same time he was a pretty good motivator and not a bad coach. I'm pretty sure that your squad last year would have done better than 6-10 with Tice at the helm, then again you'd probably have a different avatar if that were the case.

'He sounded like a doofus'

Don't mean to go off topic here, but in all honesty. he looked like a doofus too.

MJZiggy
09-03-2007, 07:20 PM

Well, there is that one woman...

packinpatland
09-03-2007, 07:26 PM

Well, there is that one woman...

:lol: :lol: :lol: I forgot about her! Ok, one person likes him.

Scott Campbell
09-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Outstanding question Guiness.....I don't know how much this sort of thing goes on....if it is very common then I would say Chilly is stupid to say it in public...if it is not, bravo for outing the odd one in NE.

According to this article, it looks pretty common.

Vikings: Belichick downplays waiver chat

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: September 04, 2007 – 12:01 AM

Queried about the issue during his Monday news conference, New England coach Bill Belichick downplayed a conversation he had with Vikings coach Brad Childress regarding the status of two waiver claims Sunday morning.

"I talked to a lot of people in the league over the course of the last few days," Belichick said. "That's part of the whole process of player transactions and so forth. I'm sure that all of the coaches in the league are trying to get their team ready for opening day and the regular season, and I'm trying to do the same thing. That's what I do, and that's what all of the other coaches do, too."

The two coaches spoke Sunday as the Vikings were poised to claim former Patriots tight end Garrett Mills, whom Belichick wanted to stash on his practice squad. New England was interested in ex-Vikings linebacker David Herron, whom the Vikings had waived but hoped to put on their practice squad.

According to Childress, Belichick offered to back away from Herron if the Vikings would not claim Mills. Speaking on WCCO-AM, Childress said he declined the offer.

Similar conversations regularly occur between NFL coaches. Childress was not available for comment Monday and is not scheduled to speak publicly until Wednesday.

MadtownPacker
09-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Is it OK if I just hate childish and beliprick?

MasonCrosby
09-04-2007, 07:40 PM

i think so... i hope eric mangini takes that division from bellichick

KYPack
09-04-2007, 10:47 PM

Yeah, go ahead.

But they are different kinds of hate.

BB True full on Chicago Bear kinda hate.

The Child Disdainful hate mixed in with pity. He's a lost fool.