PDA

View Full Version : An unbiased look at Thompson's job.

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Let me start off by saying, I am not trying to bash Thompson, or start an argument. While I am upset with the changes our team has gone through, and how slowly it is coming together, I admit that in a few more years, we will have a young and talented football team, that may well be dominating for years to come thereafter.

That being said, we have seen Thompson trade down to acquire more draft picks. It's sort of like a lottery, the more players he gets, the better chance he has of hitting on some talent to improve the team. That sums up his drafting technique. (other than "taking the best player available")

We also seem to see a trend with Thompson for his method of filling the holes in our roster that have not been addressed with his draft picks. When it comes to free agency and trades, I see 4 major criteria points that Thompson goes for.

1) The Player must be young.
2) The player must have potential, yet be unproven.
3) It must be a player that nobody else has ever heard of.(usually)
4) The player has to be very very very inexpensive to pick up.
(Yes, the one exception would be Woodson, a somewhat risky pick up that paid off in a great way)

After that, we have seen that Thompson has no qualms about going into the regular season with rookies and unproven players. We saw it in 2005 with the O-line after Thompson was quoted as saying "guards are a dime a dozen in the NFL", and we see it again this year with our WR and RB positions.

The "sink or swim" approach to determine a players ability to play at an NFL level, seems to be Thompson's method of finding starters out of all of his pick ups. He throws a bunch of rookies on the field, and lets them battle it out for the starting position. This method is a lot faster than trying to bring guys up slowly over time, and it makes Ted's job a lot easier. The team as a whole suffers for it in the short term though. I can only imagine what guys like Donald Driver must think, after having sat on the practice squad, and biding his time learning the position, and waiting for his chance to shine. For him and many like him to have to go into a regular season game with a bunch of unproven talent, it has to come off like a slap in the face. Knowing how much work he himself put in, while playing with guys who may not even belong on the same field as him.

The WR position is not bad itself though. Driver is our #1 guy, and him and Favre have trust in each other. Jennings has a full year under his belt, (minus time off for injuries), and can only be improved over last year. Jones looks to be a great upgrade from Ferguson, but just like with Martin and Holiday, we should expect to see some mistakes made. No knock against their talent, just a simple fact that they are still learning.

I myself cannot forgive Thompson's "RB by committee" idea. It reaked of the same mentality as "guards are a dime a dozen in the NFL." Many of us have been wanting to see a major upgrade at the position ever since Thompson let Green go. Instead, we have spent all this time since the departure of Green, being frustrated by the thought of going into the season with Morency, Herron, and Jackson. Now, we would probably see that as a luxury as opposed to what we now have. Now, we see our beloved Packers going into their first regular season game with Morency coming back from an injury, Herron on IR, and then what? Nothing to be excited or happy about, that is for sure.

Many of us have been pointing out that the RB position needed improving since the departure of Green, while getting blasted for saying it. In much the same way we complained about our O-line in 2005. It took two years to get our O-line to where it is now, and yet it is still questionable......improved since then, but questionable. Just as questionable as Thompson's statements that he would rather win now. A short time ago, one of the loyal Thompson supporters was mouthing off about how funny it was going to be comparing our running game to the Texans. The Texans have Green, Gado, and Ron Dayne. I do not think there will be anything to laugh at when comparing our running game to the Texans this year......... I think we may all end up feeling a bit of envy.

Not long from now, Favre will be retired. Our team will be young, but with experience. We will hopefully find ourselves with viable replacements for the old guys that we now have on our roster. Favre will be replaced by Rogers, and I am sure that Rogers will do fine. Our biggest worries will be at CB, and OT. By the time that Woodson, Harris, Taucsher, and Clifton are ready to leave though, I am sure Thompson will have found guys who can swim to replace them. We should all thank Thompson for providing us with something to look forward to in the future. A lot of you have been concentrating on that thought and I envy you for your ability to do so. I myself am still upset about the now, and have a hard time getting over how much better this team may have been this year with a couple of key free agent pick ups.

In the end, I think perhaps that is the biggest difference between those of us who question Thompson's every move, and those that support him openly. Some are willing to wait for that winning Packer team, and some of us are perhaps a little to impatient. We all want the same thing though, and that is what really counts. :glug:

:pack: :cow: :pack:

cheesner
09-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Let me start off by saying, I am not trying to bash Thompson, or start an argument. While I am upset with the changes our team has gone through, and how slowly it is coming together, I admit that in a few more years, we will have a young and talented football team, that may well be dominating for years to come thereafter.

That being said, we have seen Thompson trade down to acquire more draft picks. It's sort of like a lottery, the more players he gets, the better chance he has of hitting on some talent to improve the team. That sums up his drafting technique. (other than "taking the best player available")

We also seem to see a trend with Thompson for his method of filling the holes in our roster that have not been addressed with his draft picks. When it comes to free agency and trades, I see 4 major criteria points that Thompson goes for.

3) It must be a player that nobody else has ever heard of.(usually)
4) The player has to be very very very inexpensive to pick up.
(Yes, the one exception would be Woodson, a somewhat risky pick up that paid off in a great way)

The title of the thread and the identity of the poster has given me quite a laugh this morning. Thanks.

I'll just address one issue:

Woodson is not the only 'exception'. What about Pickett? A former #1 draft choice, who was ranked highly as an available FA. Or how about Manuel? Yes, we could have done without him, but he was the starter on a SB team and played quite well. I don't see the 'haven't heard of' trend.

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes, when I must admit when I saw unbiased and PB I was a bit concerned. But you make some good points in here. I'm very impatient and want it now and that helps formulate my view.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 12:19 PM
A lot of good points. This team is much stronger overall than the 2005 team so we're not counting on the RB comittee nearly as much as we counted on the OG's in 05.

Carroll, Robert Thomas, Paris Lennon, Kampman (not near the player he is now) C Williams (not nearly the player he is now), Barnett (Even he wasn't as good as he is now), Roman, Whittaker, Klemm, Wells (not the player he is now), Ferguson, Andre Thurmon, Antoio Chatman, Whoever that shitty punter was, Donnell Washington, C Hunt, ect. . . . .

This team is a very different team that the one of yesteryear. I can understand the RB angst, esspecially after experienceing 2005 but there are a lot of surrounding circumstances that make this situation very different. While I disagree to an extent on how bad it will be, I can defititly see where you are coming from with the RB doubt and teh post Favre doubt. I might be high on koolaid crack though, SOV may have accurately pin pointed me :)

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Kool Aide Crack Man ? :lol:

Rastak
09-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Kool Aide Crack Man ? :lol:

It's Krack with a "K"......JH leads the Krowd. LOL....

Packnut
09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Thompson has made a bunch of solid moves and a few good to great ones.
Where I differ is that he could have done even better. I fail to comprehend those who out of blind ignorance let Teddy off on his blunders or refuse to even consider their guy screwed up or failed to deliver and are willing to make excuses for it.

I'm sorry, but I hold the GM of the greatest football organization the world has ever seen to being responsible and good enough to give us the best team possible.

I believe Thompson has one fatal flaw and if he can correct it, he can be an outstanding GM. He has to check that massive ego at the door. This "I'm smarter than anyone else attitude" is holding us back right now. Harrell was an ego pick plain and simple. DL is not a position of need and at this point in time, it was not a good pick, not in terms of talent or potential, but in terms of what the GB Packers need.

His failure to understand the importance of the skill position of RB is brutal. If it was so easy to use the "plug and play" approach, every GM in the NFL would be doing it. There is a reason that since time began, (football time), GM's devote a large chunk of their payroll to the RB position.

Everyone of us knew we needed a replacement for Green. Thompson should have done whatever he had to do and if that included sacrificing draft picks, so be it. He should have made a trade with-in the last 2 drafts and found a Jones-Drew or one of the other backs. Now those of you who claim he did make an effort by drafting Jackson are wrong. I like Jackson, but anyone who watched Nebraska football last season knew Marlon Lucky was a much better back. It was a flaw in the Nebraska coaches that they did'nt realize it until later in the season.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Many of us have been pointing out that the RB position needed improving since the departure of Green, while getting blasted for saying it.

I don't remember anyone getting blasted for saying that - especially the way you say it here. I think nearly everyone agrees. People were getting blasted for saying Thompson is stupid, or Thompson did this because of his ego, or Thompson is did this to send Brett a message to retire.

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Many of us have been pointing out that the RB position needed improving since the departure of Green, while getting blasted for saying it.

I don't remember anyone getting blasted for saying that - especially the way you say it here. I think nearly everyone agrees. People were getting blasted for saying Thompson is stupid, or Thompson did this because of his ego, or Thompson is did this to send Brett a message to retire.

Yeah, I forget that some people only pick out the part of a post they don't like, and blast a person for that part of the post, and not critique on the entirety.

Irregardless, numerous times, people have mentioned that losing Green was HUGE and were expecting a viable replacement. Instead we end up with a group of guys who altogether (by committee?) couldn't lift Green's Jock strap.

After seeing the mess we have now, was Green really to expensive to keep? Should the Packers have spent the money in Free Agency to get a proven veteran for the RB position? Perhaps say, someone who has played the position in the NFL and shown the ability to handle the work load for the entire season?

I can understand saying that the TE position couldn't be upgraded because there simply were not any TE's available that were any better than what we had. However, for anyone to claim that there were no RB's available better than what we ended up with since the departure of Green.......... that goes beyond laughable and into idiocy.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Let's see how it plays out before we jump off a cliff. The oline should be a good notch better than last year and Jackson looks like he has a chance. There are a couple rookie RB's that get near 1,000 yards every year. It's just a position that guys can play well sooner.

Also, Ryan Grant was toted as a good player in NY. They had Tiki Barber for the last couple years so they know what a decent back should look like. He might suprise us and be a player. He's big, strong, fast. . . He might just need a chance.

We'll see how it goes. It's a tough situation made tougher by injuries but we ahve to let this thing play out before we start using words like idiocy to describe it.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I forget that some people only pick out the part of a post they don't like, and blast a person for that part of the post, and not critique on the entirety.

Some people? There are lots of us that do this. We pick out the items that we disagree with, or are factually incorrect and comment on them. I don't think there is anything wrong with that practice, and it's not against any rules.

For instance:

I see 4 major criteria points that Thompson goes for.

You use the word "must". I think the word "should" would be more accurate because of the Woodson signing. It's not like I disagree with everything you say. But a subtle difference in the choice of words can significantly skew your intended meaning.

wist43
09-03-2007, 01:39 PM

Irregardless, numerous times, people have mentioned that losing Green...

Like "Irregardless"??? Which isn't a word... :rs:

falco
09-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Irregardless, numerous times, people have mentioned that losing Green...

Like "Irregardless"??? Which isn't a word... :rs:

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I think this was the operative portion of the entry Falco.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't know one way or the other, but is this a word that was added to the dictionary because it's used in spoken word a lot? It's happened a lot. They even put slang terms in many dictionaries now.

If I looked at a dictionary from 200 years ago, would this word be in it?

I love how they add words because people incorrectly use them in spoken word.

falco
09-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I think this was the operative portion of the entry Falco.

Agreed. But for some reason the other part looked better in bold.

falco
09-03-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't know one way or the other, but is this a word that was added to the dictionary because it's used in spoken word a lot? It's happened a lot. They even put slang terms in many dictionaries now.

If I looked at a dictionary from 200 years ago, would this word be in it?

I love how they add words because people incorrectly use them in spoken word.

I remember three or four years ago, the word "doh" and the phrase "my bad" were both added to the dictionary because of their common usage. Language certainly evolves.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Everyone will always have something to bitch about. If it isn't the running back situation it is the tight end position, and before that it was the defense, and before that it was the offensive line.

Building a team isn't like playing fantasy football or Madden.

Blah blah blah, no matter how you want to cover it or paint it, it is the same fucking story with Packerblues. Blah Blah Blah.

What about the defensive line? On Paper, and lets face it thats all we have to look at right now regardless of position, the Packers have one of the strongest d-lines in the game. You can ask any NFL personal in the game and they will tell you that a solid defensive line from top to bottom is the key to a strong defense and also a key cog to your football team.

What about Linebacker? agreed that the unit lacks depth, but the Packers had scraps at that position three years ago and Thompson has rebuilt the position to one of the tops in the league.

Aaron Rodgers was one of the most hated draft picks that I can remember, he is still a back up until Favre retires but he has improved and very few are now grumbling about Favre's replacement.

The secondary was weakened in 2005 and the Packers only had one starting caliber player in Al Harris and up and coming rookie Nick Collins. The Packers still have a ? at safety but Thompson did something that very few thought he was going to do and that was to go out and sign Chuck Woodson. Now some of you scoff at that signing, but he went out payed big buck for a player that has produced. He cut Ahmad Carroll and got rid of the dead weight.

The offensive line was a shell when Thompson allowed Wahle and Rivera go to free agency, and replaced them with walk throughs, but he spent a number of high picks in order to straighten out the line and although young, the line is on the upswing to being on the top line in the league.

Thompson had contact issues with Walker but took a stand and went after young high draft picks to try to solidify the depth at receiver behind Driver. Driver has been rewarded two years in a row for his hard work. Thompson has spent three first day picks the last three years on receivers along with a number of others in the second day. He brought in troubled but yet dynamic receiver in Koren Robinson, but his suspension kept him from contributing for the Packers.

now the two positions that Thompson is currently working to improve, Tight End and Running back.

Thompson, a two years ago gave Franks a huge contract. Money speaks, it is tough to look at that contract and release Franks knowing the cap hit your going to take. Donald Lee has been up and down in Green Bay, but yet Thompson has not used significant draft picks or free agents to improve this position. And yes other than Franks remarkable turn around in Pre-season many in the media and fans of the organization are still scratching our heads at what Thompson was thinking for this position in 2007. If this position hurts this team in 2007 Ted Thompson will be held directly responsible.

Running back Ted Thompson believes that Vernand Morency is a capable starter in the NFL, but realized that he may not be an every down work horse type back, and he entered the draft and spent a 2nd round pick on Brandon Jackson, and a 7th rounder on Wynn. Thompson did not seek any veteran players to compete with the younger backs. Regardless of what some think, Thompson has addressed the loss of Green, with younger talent, although unproven at this point. Running back is important position, but many teams have decided to go with younger talent rather than the more expensive veteran free agents. The Colts in 2006 made a decision to allow Edgrin James go who was the most productive back in the NFL, and go with a younger draft pick as his replacement. It is now common practice, and Green's time in Green Bay was up. The bottom line is that Thompson has had to deal with injuries to two out of his top three backs, and he has made adjustments with a trade and a waiver wire pickup, as I said earlier these moves weren't breakthrough deals but deals that needed to be done to stabilize the roster.

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 02:34 PM
OK then, regardless as to whether or not irregardless is a word......

numerous times, people have mentioned that losing Green was HUGE and were expecting a viable replacement. Instead we end up with a group of guys who altogether (by committee?) couldn't lift Green's Jock strap.

After seeing the mess we have now, was Green really to expensive to keep? Should the Packers have spent the money in Free Agency to get a proven veteran for the RB position? Perhaps say, someone who has played the position in the NFL and shown the ability to handle the work load for the entire season?

I can understand saying that the TE position couldn't be upgraded because there simply were not any TE's available that were any better than what we had. However, for anyone to claim that there were no RB's available better than what we ended up with since the departure of Green.......... that goes beyond laughable and into idiocy.

I understand what you are saying about my choice of words SC, point well taken.

JH, saying "We'll see how it goes, and that we have to let this thing play out", is what we have been hearing from those that support Thompson whole heartedly ever since Greens departure. Look at where it has gotten us. Also, I am not using the word "idiocy" to describe anything other than the idea that spending money on a proven veteran FA RB, would have been a waste. It should be obvious by now, that going that route would have shored up the RB position sooner, instead of going into the season with what we have now. Other than Morency, none of these guys we have now, know enough about the system / playbook to instill any kind of confidence that we will even be average in the running game this year.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 02:45 PM
This whole team is much stronger from top to bottom than the 2005 team. I don't think we are going to see a situation that is anything like that this year. Sure, it's a weakness but we don't know how good Jackson, Wynn or Grant can be. We had a bunch of question marks last year too. Poppinga, Jennings, Colledge, Spitz, ect. . . A few didn't pan out in 2005. A bunch did pan out in 2006. Now we have a much better team. If Jackson pans out, we'll have an average running back and a bunch of other good players.

It's a question mark. I'll definitly say that but nobody knows what is going to happen right now. That's why we watch the games on Sunday. Nothing is given.

If you guys go to the Philly forums you'll see a bunch of question marks but instead of young players that might step up like Jackson, they have old players that they know suck. It could be worse and it is worse on many playoff teams across the league.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Green is gone, I see you can't let it go, but just for the sake, if not Green, who would you have had the Packers sign to fill the hole at running back? Travis Henry? He couldn't cut it in two different places, each spot teams brought in younger replacements for him.

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Blah blah blah, no matter how you want to cover it or paint it, it is the same fucking story with Packerblues. Blah Blah Blah.

The bottom line is that Thompson has had to deal with injuries to two out of his top three backs, and he has made adjustments with a trade and a waiver wire pickup, as I said earlier these moves weren't breakthrough deals but deals that needed to be done to stabilize the roster.

Well blah blah blah back at ya Nutz. It's also the same old story from guys like you. Defending Thompson by pointing out the good things that he has done, giving him credit for shit that was already in place, while at the same time, completely ignoring all of his mistakes. Believe me, there are just as many people sick and tired of your method of describing Thompsons tenure, as there are of people sick of my point of view on such things.

Bottom line? The RB position was already questionable enough before your excuse about injuries came along, and people were already worried about the position before your pathetic injury excuse. You are right about one thing, they were not breakthrough deals, I doubt anyone would / will ever accuse Thompson of making one of those.

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Green is gone, I see you can't let it go, but just for the sake, if not Green, who would you have had the Packers sign to fill the hole at running back? Travis Henry? He couldn't cut it in two different places, each spot teams brought in younger replacements for him.

Why do guys like you always point directly to Travis Henry as if he were the only FA RB available? Is it because he is the only guy that fits your limited argument on the issue?

To answer your question, and to point out that there were in fact (contrary to what you would like everyone to believe) other options.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsRB.html

Michael Turner, RFA, San Diego Chargers
Turner takes a beating and keeps going. Turner isn’t well known to the general public, but the kid has talent. He gets a handful of carries behind Ladainian Tomlinson and has maximized those carries, averaging six yards per carry in his short career. He carried just 80 times this season, but it was a career high for Turner, and he was still able to crack the 500 yard-mark with a pair of touchdowns. With his strong running style and production in San Diego this season, it shouldn’t surprise anyone to see Turner sign elsewhere—but the Chargers may look to keep their dangerous rushing combo together.

Dominic Rhodes, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Rhodes’ performance throughout the season was not as impressive as some speculated it might be, after he was given a chance to earn more carries with the departure of Edgerrin James. He carried 187 times for just 641 yards on the season, and rookie Joseph Addai was the more impressive runner on the roster. Rhodes was able to find the endzone five times by being a power back type for the team, but did not catch the attention of many. Super Bowl XLI may have changed that. With 113 yards on the ground—his largest rushing total since 2001—and a score, Rhodes was arguably the best player on the field in the biggest game of the season. Indianapolis may look to keep him, but he may be the target of a few teams looking to take a chance on a back that stepped it up when he needed to most.

Chris Brown, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Brown might wind up back in Tennessee when all is said and done, but there could be interest from teams looking for a decent backup or desperate for a starter with some experience under his belt. A team might like to use Brown in a running back by committee scenario, but his 41 carries for less than four yards per carry in 2006 hurt his stock. His upright running style might make him an appealing change of pace back, but it is also a weakness at times. He did rush for over 1,000 yards in just 11 games during the 2004 season, but Brown’s health is a concern. In his three seasons, he’s never played in all 16 games.

Correll Buckhalter, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles
With Brian Westbrook starting and Ryan Moats waiting in the wings, Buckhalter may look for an expanded role outside of Philadelphia. The third year running back was called upon for just 83 carries this season, his lowest total of his career. He averaged more than four yards per carry and some extra muscle for the Eagles’ run game. His potential combined with his adequate ability as a receiving back means that he could become a strong contributor for a team willing to use him more often.

Jamal Lewis, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
The Ravens cut the former first round pick on the final day of February, but will make an attempt to re-sign the running back to a lesser contract. Even though Lewis had a poor 2005 outing, his 2006 effort was improved as he rushed for over 1,100 yards and found the end zone on five occasions. There may be a team or two willing to gamble on one of the few players in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season. He will probably be overpaid, if he doesn’t re-sign with Baltimore. Still only 27, there may be some strong production left for Lewis.

Ron Dayne, UFA, Houston Texans
The former Heisman winner will be hard-pressed to find a team that can best utilize what Dayne brings to the field. He was able to average more than five yards per rush two seasons ago for Denver, and over four yards per rush this past season with Houston, but he isn’t the type of back that you can count on to carry the load all of the time. He has worked best in a committee approach to the backfield, making Dayne’s options somewhat limited based on where he can be effective. He may have to settle for being a spot player on a team with a clear number one.

T.J. Duckett, UFA, Washington Redskins
The running back has a visit scheduled with the Lions, and his age of just 26 means that teams will give him a look. He could fit well behind a quick and shifty back like he did behind Warrick Dunn in Atlanta, but he may not find the playing time he’s looking for at the moment. His talent isn’t that of a top back, and he shouldn’t expect to command much on the market. He is the two of a one-two punch at best.

Other Free Agent Running Backs
Najeh Davenport, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Nick Goings, UFA, Carolina Panthers
Maurice Hicks, RFA, San Francisco 49ers
Patrick Pass, UFA, New England Patriots
B.J. Sams, RFA, Baltimore Ravens
Marcel Shipp, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Antowain Smith, UFA, Houston Texans

Maybe a few of these guys would not have been a perfect fit, however, some of them would have easily have been an upgrade to what we thought we were going into the season with and what we are actually going into the season with now due to your injury excuse.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
With that list, I think you just made Nutz's point about RBs. What an ugly list. Would anybody besides Turner (who would have taken high draft pick(s) to get) made anybody feel better? Doubt it. That's a motley crew.

Rastak
09-03-2007, 03:21 PM
With that list, I think you just made Nutz's point about RBs. What an ugly list. Would anybody besides Turner (who would have taken high draft pick(s) to get) made anybody feel better? Doubt it. That's a motley crew.

I would think Henry, Turner, and Rhodes pre suspension would have been good options. Turner might have cost too much in picks though.

Chris Brown is solid when he isn't hurt. Green could have been resigned albeit at an inflated price. It seems GB could afford that given their cap space.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 03:24 PM

The bottom line is that Thompson has had to deal with injuries to two out of his top three backs, and he has made adjustments with a trade and a waiver wire pickup, as I said earlier these moves weren't breakthrough deals but deals that needed to be done to stabilize the roster.

Well blah blah blah back at ya Nutz. It's also the same old story from guys like you. Defending Thompson by pointing out the good things that he has done, giving him credit for shit that was already in place, while at the same time, completely ignoring all of his mistakes. Believe me, there are just as many people sick and tired of your method of describing Thompsons tenure, as there are of people sick of my point of view on such things.

Bottom line? The RB position was already questionable enough before your excuse about injuries came along, and people were already worried about the position before your pathetic injury excuse. You are right about one thing, they were not breakthrough deals, I doubt anyone would / will ever accuse Thompson of making one of those.

The difference is the season hasn't even started yet. I haven't claimed that Jackson is all we need or Morency will be the savior, I have not said those things. I have decided to wait and see, and I can bet if these players can't cut the load in 2008 Thompson will stop at nothing to revamp the running back position.

you on the other hand have already put your stamp on the failure at the running back position.

I think before you go off on me and try to attack me like you did my buddy Skin, I will back off before it becomes dirty, because I honestly can't stand you or your rambling bullshit posts, I guess I don't understand why you don't keep one thread and leave it at that? Consider it your blog of bullshit.

Reputation is what we have here and I can say I won't sink to your bullshit rambling when I know I can't prove your wrong, whats the point? you can tell the future and I can't you win.

wist43
09-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Turner was the guy I zeroed in on...

I've argued from the beginning that a 2nd rounder + would have gotten him... a 2nd and 4th, a 2nd and a 3rd (next year maybe)... TT wouldn't have had to endure all of the pain in one year.

Certainly the current RB situation is untenable.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Rhodes? Is he better than most 2nd round picks at RB? Not really. He's like Morency. Who is like Jackson.

Turner would have cost a lot in draft picks.

Henry? Get the feeling scouts are mixed on him. His career as a starter looked over before last year. He wasn't even supposed to start last year.

Ahman might have been the top option. Of course, they would have had to pay a 30-year-old RB: 4y, $26M to keep him.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't think RB is a disaster. Good blocking, and they'll be fine.

The Leaper
09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I believe Thompson has one fatal flaw and if he can correct it, he can be an outstanding GM. He has to check that massive ego at the door. This "I'm smarter than anyone else attitude" is holding us back right now. Harrell was an ego pick plain and simple. DL is not a position of need and at this point in time, it was not a good pick, not in terms of talent or potential, but in terms of what the GB Packers need.

I disagree. I don't feel that Thompson took Harrell because of ego. He thought Harrell possessed the kind of physical talent to be an impact player on the DL. He has shown flashes of that talent...and the jury will still be out until this time next year IMO.

To me, Thompson's fatal flaw to this point is his lack of knowledge on the offensive side of the ball. The reason why the Seahawks had success with Thompson was because Holmgren was also there to force Thompson to take guys like Alexander, because Holmgren knows the importance of playmakers on offense.

By running Javon Walker out of town and the blunders Thompson has made on the OL and at RB, I think it is fairly clear that Thompson does not value playmakers enough on offense. While I also like Jennings and Jones, they do not possess the potential to be playmakers in the NFL. When Favre and Driver leave, will we even have any Pro Bowl level players on the roster on offense?

The Leaper
09-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Turner was the guy I zeroed on on...

I've argued from the beginning that a 2nd rounder + would have gotten him... a 2nd and 4th, a 2nd and a 3rd (next year maybe)... TT wouldn't have had to endure all of the pain in one year.

I can see your point...but with the college draft next year absolutely LOADED at RB, I can see why Thompson did what he did. It isn't Thompson's fault that every RB is hurt at the same time...some of that is just bad luck. If Morency and Jackson are healthy during most of camp and feeding off each other, the RB position may be viewed as more secure at this point. Both guys are first day draft picks...they have talent.

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 03:38 PM
I have decided to wait and see, and I can bet if these players can't cut the load in 2008 Thompson will stop at nothing to revamp the running back position.

LOL, sure, I bet he goes against everything he has shown us so far, and shock us all by using Free Agency to pick up a Veteran.......in 2008, lol :roll:

you on the other hand have already put your stamp on the failure at the running back position.

I have certainly complained about what I look at to be the teams most glaring weakness. I do not know any more than you do if this "RB by committee" idea would have worked with the guys that Thompson planned on going into the season with. Considering how its looking now, it is even more questionable.

I think before you go off on me and try to attack me like you did my buddy Skin, I will back off before it becomes dirty, because I honestly can't stand you or your rambling bullshit posts

And yet here you are, flapping your lips in one of my rambling bullshit posts. What a joke.

Reputation is what we have here and I can say I won't sink to your bullshit rambling when I know I can't prove your wrong, whats the point? you can tell the future and I can't you win.

You have got that right. Go lay down by your dish until you can come up with better arguments and leave the talking to the grown ups.

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 03:42 PM
...but with the college draft next year absolutely LOADED at RB, I can see why Thompson did what he did.

Thats an interesting point that I had not considered yet. Any big names that you can think of offhand that the Pack may have interest in?

The Leaper
09-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Maybe a few of these guys would not have been a perfect fit, however, some of them would have easily have been an upgrade to what we thought we were going into the season with and what we are actually going into the season with now due to your injury excuse.

I don't know.

Turner was probably the best option...and he's still relatively unproven in terms of durability, so how is he a great upgrade over Morency or Jackson? He's hurt right now.

Rhodes put up numbers in Indy. Big whoop. Any NFL caliber RB should be able to put up numbers in that offense.

Brown is a question mark...and is a very marginal choice as a starting caliber back. Certainly not "easily an upgrade" over Morency or Jackson in my mind. Lendale White stuffing Twinkies in his face 24-7 still outplayed Brown.

Lewis? Over the hill. Dayne or Duckett? Hell no.

As I've maintained elsewhere, there just weren't many options to upgrade our RBs. Winning our last 4 games last year killed our chance to get in position to make the upgrade by drafting high in the first round. Giving up a bunch of draft picks for a guy who is relatively unproven isn't a good idea IMO.

The Leaper
09-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Thats an interesting point that I had not considered yet. Any big names that you can think of offhand that the Pack may have interest in?

Well, I'm not sure who they may be interested in.,.but there are numerous guys who may be considered first round caliber talent by next February.

Hart (Michigan)
McFadden (Arkansas)
Slaton (WV)
Rice (Rutgers)
Bell (UCLA)
Choice (Georgia Tech)
Stewart (Oregon)

Next years draft likely will be far deeper than this past one at the RB position.

cheesner
09-03-2007, 04:01 PM

I don't know.

Turner was probably the best option...and he's still relatively unproven in terms of durability, so how is he a great upgrade over Morency or Jackson? He's hurt right now.

Rhodes put up numbers in Indy. Big whoop. Any NFL caliber RB should be able to put up numbers in that offense.

Brown is a question mark...and is a very marginal choice as a starting caliber back. Certainly not "easily an upgrade" over Morency or Jackson in my mind. Lendale White stuffing Twinkies in his face 24-7 still outplayed Brown.

Lewis? Over the hill. Dayne or Duckett? Hell no.

As I've maintained elsewhere, there just weren't many options to upgrade our RBs. Winning our last 4 games last year killed our chance to get in position to make the upgrade by drafting high in the first round. Giving up a bunch of draft picks for a guy who is relatively unproven isn't a good idea IMO.Turner would have certainly been an upgrade, but now he is injured. We would be no better off and we would be short 2 high picks next year. In hind sight - we are fortunate we didn't get him.

The way I see things, TT inherited a team with about 20 holes. He has filled 18 of them in just 3 years. That is very good in my book. I will give him a little time to fill the TE and RB holes. I am not entirely sure that they are big holes anyway. We need to see if Franks continues his rejuvinated play, and I haven't given up on the RBs yet. I would say the issue is more to do with the blocking than with the running.

The 1996 SB team was not exactly a complete team either. The LB corp consisted of Wayne Simmons (great), Brian Williams (good) and Bernardo Harris (ugggh). Wolf signed FA Brian Cox who flopped that year. My point is, don't expect a complete team. There are none in the NFL with perhaps San Diego being the closest.

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks Leaper, I will try to keep an eye out for those guys throughout the year. Your idea about Thompson expecting a draft loaded with good RB's is by far the best reason that I have heard as to why he didn't go after some of the big name free agents.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 04:13 PM

You have got that right. Go lay down by your dish until you can come up with better arguments and leave the talking to the grown ups.

don't make me cough milk up threw my nose!!!, I came up with my shit and then others proved my point.

cheesner
09-03-2007, 04:40 PM
. . .

Its the same argument for the 1,000th time.

Why wrestle with a pig? You both get dirty and the pig loves it.

PackerBlues
09-03-2007, 04:44 PM
don't make me cough milk up threw my nose!!!, I came up with my shit and then others proved my point.

Really, Here is how I started this post:

"Let me start off by saying, I am not trying to bash Thompson, or start an argument. While I am upset with the changes our team has gone through, and how slowly it is coming together, I admit that in a few more years, we will have a young and talented football team, that may well be dominating for years to come thereafter."

Here is what I got from you:

Followed by:

I think before you go off on me and try to attack me like you did my buddy Skin, I will back off before it becomes dirty, because I honestly can't stand you or your rambling bullshit posts, I guess I don't understand why you don't keep one thread and leave it at that? Consider it your blog of bullshit.

I just picked the parts of your posts that stood out to me, its like SC said, everyone does it. I do not care about your "Buddy" Skin, and I do not care what you think of my opinions or about me personally. Your talk about coming up with your "shit", and others proving your point really does not impress me as much as it would have if you had stated your point yourself.
I have no intention of attacking you or getting into an argument with you. If I had simply continued to ignore skin, as I should have, the pissin contest we got into would have never had happened, and I am sorry that it did. I will not argue with you, I simply enjoy voicing my opinions like everyone else in here, and I plan to continue to do so, IRREGARDLESS:lol: of how you feel about it.

The Leaper
09-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Leaper, I will try to keep an eye out for those guys throughout the year. Your idea about Thompson expecting a draft loaded with good RB's is by far the best reason that I have heard as to why he didn't go after some of the big name free agents.

I certainly can see Thompson's reasoning...this team wasn't going to be a Super Bowl contender this year regardless, so he took a DL prospect who would be somewhat of a project coming off a major injury and then took the best RB available and a WR who was going to need some time to mature as well. No FAs were going to be game changers for the Packers at RB.

Thompson isn't trying to win now...that is obvious regardless of what he says. He is trying to build a team to compete for a TITLE, which takes time and patience. Sherman didn't have that patience, which is what doomed him as GM.

It took Ron Wolf 4 years to build a title winner...even when he hit the jackpot twice with Favre and White, which isn't going to happen very often. Look how long it took the Bucs and Colts to get over the top. You don't build a long term winner overnight, and that is Thompson's...as well as the Board of Directors...goal. They want this team to be good when Favre leaves and continue to be strong without a dropoff.

I still question his offensive IQ...but in terms of building the basics of a roster, he's on the right track.

CaliforniaCheez
09-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Everyone likes doing some armchair GMing.
There are always things different people and personalities would do differently.

However, Ted Thompson is the General Manager of the Packers. It is a position deserving respect. He therefore should be given the benefit of the doubt.

If there is a complaint I have of Ted is the reduction of value of the roster when guys are cut.

Now some contracts were too high to trade, but something could have been obtained in trade for a few of those guys instead of Morely. I won't list them all but consider the 2 guys named Thomas.

At least he hasn't traded away 2 draft picks for Tru Luck.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 05:36 PM

LOL

Cheesehead Craig
09-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Gee, another thread that goes:

"TT is a piece of crap"

"No he isn't, he's great, you're the piece of crap"

"No you are"

Happy Labor Day everyone!

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 06:01 PM

LOL

Why is PackerBlues a pig? I find the arguments he provokes to be entertaining enough.

I NEVER see the people arguing with him argue with each other. You need him.

Fritz
09-03-2007, 06:24 PM
This is all in good fun, just like two or more pre-pubescent boys wrestling naked in the mudhole and pretending it's wrestling and nothing more. While it may be fun at the time, only with the passage of time will we know the impact.

That is to say, it's fun to debate but only in time will we know if not re-signing Ahman Green to a big contract (which is what he got from Houston, people) was a bad idea. If Green has two very productive years and stays injury free, then not signing him to the big-bucks contract was a bad move. If, however, he continues to suffer from fumble-itis early in the season, gets nicked up often, produces a paltry 3.5 yards per carry, and diminishes in skill after one year, we can safely say it's a good thing Teddy Boy didn't take the plunge.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 06:46 PM

LOL

Why is PackerBlues a pig? I find the arguments he provokes to be entertaining enough.

Well if he isn't the pig, then I am the pig and then I am coming after you Harlan!

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 06:49 PM

LOL

Why is PackerBlues a pig?

I just thought it was a funny saying.

wist43
09-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Turner was the guy I zeroed on on...

I can see your point...but with the college draft next year absolutely LOADED at RB, I can see why Thompson did what he did. It isn't Thompson's fault that every RB is hurt at the same time...some of that is just bad luck. If Morency and Jackson are healthy during most of camp and feeding off each other, the RB position may be viewed as more secure at this point. Both guys are first day draft picks...they have talent.

That doesn't make any sense... next years draft can't play into anything they've done this year - simply b/c of where Jackson was drafted. 2nd round picks have to be, I repeat, HAVE TO BE, clear cut starters by their 2nd year, and probably their 1st year.

You're talking about what pick??? 60ish??? I can't remember what pick Jackson was, but a 2nd rounder this year should yield you 2nd round talent at some position. Since Jackson hasn't played like a 2nd rounder, one of two things seems to be true, 1) TT misevaluated Jackson, or 2) he panicked and reached for him. Either way, TT has created a bit of mess at RB which looks eerily similar to his '05 patchwork OL fiasco.

If Jackson doesn't eventually step in and become the full time starter, then he was a wasted pick. Pure and simple, you have to hit on your 2nd round picks.

No way would TT reach for Jackson with the idea that he was a stopgap, biding time until the 2008 draft. TT evaluated Jackson to be of 2nd round value... to date, we have not seen 2nd round talent from him.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Nutz, I want to see you rip a new asshole in SC sometime.

Maybe Fritz is right, boys will be boys.

But it never seems like the popular boys ever play rough with each other. (Who knows, perhaps in the privacy of their bedrooms.)

GBRulz
09-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Everyone will always have something to bitch about. If it isn't the running back situation it is the tight end position, and before that it was the defense, and before that it was the offensive line.

What about the defensive line? On Paper, and lets face it thats all we have to look at right now regardless of position, the Packers have one of the strongest d-lines in the game. You can ask any NFL personal in the game and they will tell you that a solid defensive line from top to bottom is the key to a strong defense and also a key cog to your football team.

What about Linebacker? agreed that the unit lacks depth, but the Packers had scraps at that position three years ago and Thompson has rebuilt the position to one of the tops in the league.

Aaron Rodgers was one of the most hated draft picks that I can remember, he is still a back up until Favre retires but he has improved and very few are now grumbling about Favre's replacement.

The secondary was weakened in 2005 and the Packers only had one starting caliber player in Al Harris and up and coming rookie Nick Collins. The Packers still have a ? at safety but Thompson did something that very few thought he was going to do and that was to go out and sign Chuck Woodson. Now some of you scoff at that signing, but he went out payed big buck for a player that has produced. He cut Ahmad Carroll and got rid of the dead weight.

The offensive line was a shell when Thompson allowed Wahle and Rivera go to free agency, and replaced them with walk throughs, but he spent a number of high picks in order to straighten out the line and although young, the line is on the upswing to being on the top line in the league.

Thompson had contact issues with Walker but took a stand and went after young high draft picks to try to solidify the depth at receiver behind Driver. Driver has been rewarded two years in a row for his hard work. Thompson has spent three first day picks the last three years on receivers along with a number of others in the second day. He brought in troubled but yet dynamic receiver in Koren Robinson, but his suspension kept him from contributing for the Packers.

now the two positions that Thompson is currently working to improve, Tight End and Running back.

Thompson, a two years ago gave Franks a huge contract. Money speaks, it is tough to look at that contract and release Franks knowing the cap hit your going to take. Donald Lee has been up and down in Green Bay, but yet Thompson has not used significant draft picks or free agents to improve this position. And yes other than Franks remarkable turn around in Pre-season many in the media and fans of the organization are still scratching our heads at what Thompson was thinking for this position in 2007. If this position hurts this team in 2007 Ted Thompson will be held directly responsible.

Running back Ted Thompson believes that Vernand Morency is a capable starter in the NFL, but realized that he may not be an every down work horse type back, and he entered the draft and spent a 2nd round pick on Brandon Jackson, and a 7th rounder on Wynn. Thompson did not seek any veteran players to compete with the younger backs. Regardless of what some think, Thompson has addressed the loss of Green, with younger talent, although unproven at this point. Running back is important position, but many teams have decided to go with younger talent rather than the more expensive veteran free agents. The Colts in 2006 made a decision to allow Edgrin James go who was the most productive back in the NFL, and go with a younger draft pick as his replacement. It is now common practice, and Green's time in Green Bay was up. The bottom line is that Thompson has had to deal with injuries to two out of his top three backs, and he has made adjustments with a trade and a waiver wire pickup, as I said earlier these moves weren't breakthrough deals but deals that needed to be done to stabilize the roster.

I think you list alot of valid points, in which I also agree. Up until the last two paragraphs. Our TE situation was our biggest weakness and nothing was done to address the problem this year. I guess we'll just have to see how Greg Olsen turns out in Chicago and would he have been a missing piece to our offense?

Also, you can't compare teams like Indy letting E. James go, to the Ahman situation. Big difference when you don't have the money to sign someone vs sitting on 15 million of cap space and still letting your top RB walk. I think it's going to be a few years until the salaries get even more ridiculous before we start seeing "cap casualties" again. I think if TT would have made an offer (less than what Houston paid) to him before FA hit, Green would still be here. Like you said, everyone has something to bitch about and for me, it's our RB situation. You don't let a vet back like Green go and not have an adequate replacement if you don't have to. Personally, I think that Thompson was betting on Lynch, but that didn't pan out.

I just hope our RB isn't our OL of 2005, because it could have been avoided.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
I just hope our RB isn't our OL of 2005, because it could have been avoided.

Pope was said to be a promising upstart.

In one summer, the Packers had injuries to Pope, Morency, Jackson, Wynn and Herron.

If they had kept Green, he could have been injured too, his knees are no more rugged than Herron's or Morency's.

I really don't see the RB crisis as a preventable situation. It just happened.

GBRulz
09-03-2007, 07:33 PM
[quote="Harlan Huckleby"]

If they had kept Green, he could have been injured too, his knees are no more rugged than Herron's or Morency's.quote/]

Please tell me you have a better argument than that! So now we aren't resigning people because they would get injured? Come on Blue!

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 07:34 PM

Geez, you damned degenerate. I would have thought there was enough gay porn on the internet.

Lurker64
09-03-2007, 07:35 PM
If they had kept Green, he could have been injured too, his knees are no more rugged than Herron's or Morency's.

Please tell me you have a better argument than that! So now we aren't resigning people because they would get injured? Come on Blue!

I think the argument is mostly "Thompson didn't put us into a rushing crisis by not resigning Green since we had an unusual number of injuries at that position which isn't something you can predict. Likewise, Thompson wouldn't have necessarily prevented the RB crisis by signing Green because, well, if five guys can get hurt why can't six?" Honestly, how many teams in the NFL if they had five RBs (or really any position) injured in training camp and the preseason, wouldn't feel a little nervous at that position? Nobody in the NFL is that deep, regardless of who they sign/resign.

The claim was not "Green was going to get injured so we didn't sign him." Ted Thompson is many things, but a soothsayer he is not. A man who can see the future does not draft Rogers in the 4th last year.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Maybe Fritz is right, boys will be boys.

But it never seems like the popular boys ever play rough with each other. (Who knows, perhaps in the privacy of their bedrooms.)

when Scott deserves me ripping into him I will.

harlan I hate it when you play "Revenge of the Nerds".

I don't really hold back just because I like someone on here or not. Packerblue could actually say something I agree with and I will state that I agree with him.

SkinBasket
09-03-2007, 07:54 PM

That's because we're not fucking crazy - well not in a talking stupid football kind of way anyway. Although I don't disagree with you that we need him. There's been a void ever since Tank "left." I only wish his (PB, not Tank) previous attempt at being clever hadn't been so unceremoniously disposed of. I think it demonstrated a certain microcosm of PackerBlues's blessed little heart that really can't be reproduced anywhere else.

What I don't understand is the constant need to complain about this. We have a team. We're moving forward with that team. "Debating" what could, should, or would have happened had certain events, whether likely, unlikely, or supernatural (such as obtaining the rights to Turner), is about as productive as debating whether a unicorn would win in a fight against a Lvl 22 Ogre equipped with Hrothger's Flaming Club of Malice +3.

If I had simply continued to ignore skin, as I should have, the pissin contest we got into would have never had happened, and I am sorry that it did.

To be fair it was more of a virtual drubbing than a pissing contest. A "contest" would infer some kind of competition, after all.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 08:01 PM

What Lurker said.

This summer did set me to thinkin, tho: It seems like the RBs are very vulnerable to injury. And they can't play with leg injuries like the linemen.

Maybe the team should bring more running backs into camp, keep more on the roster, and spend more of the salary money on them.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 08:12 PM
But it never seems like the popular boys ever play rough with each other.

You were as popular as anyone here. I thought everyone got pretty rough with you.

Remember that?

hoosier
09-03-2007, 08:14 PM
That doesn't make any sense... next years draft can't play into anything they've done this year - simply b/c of where Jackson was drafted. 2nd round picks have to be, I repeat, HAVE TO BE, clear cut starters by their 2nd year, and probably their 1st year.

Where do get this idea? How many of Ron Wolf's 2nd round picks were starting in the first or second year? I don't have any list in front of me, but off hand I'd guess league-wide it's around 50% that become full time starters and 50 that don't. If Jackson is a flat out bust but Harrell plays up to potential and Jones emerges as a star and Rouse doesn't suck, that's a very good batting average. And it would never prevent thompson from drafting a 1st rnd rb next year.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 08:15 PM
BTW

Madtown looks at white people a little like Michael Vick sees dogs: he enjoys watchin them mix it up a little.

So, I expect that Rat Trap will be mostly for smutty pics in the public areas. Or for someone like me who makes fun of the policies of the Great Brown Father.

I so want to be the first in the Rat Trap! Goddamn, I've payed my dues, I deserve it. The honor shall be mine someday!

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 08:19 PM
But it never seems like the popular boys ever play rough with each other.

You were as popular as anyone here. I thought everyone got pretty rough with you.

Remember that?

Well, yes, anybody can take a turn at battling the gang. That's true.

I really have no problem with people exchanging unpleasantries now and then. It just gets sour when it's always at the same person, and by a gang. I think its best to reserve spite and hatred for loved ones.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Well, yes, anybody can take a turn at battling the gang. That's true.

That's not really my point. Your popularity didn't spare you once you started acting whacky. I think people respond to the content of the post, and not to the pedigree of the poster. Your experience was a prime example.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Defending people from mean-spirited attacks by you and the gang is not "whacky", but guess that's a matter of perception.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 08:33 PM
..............but guess that's a matter of perception.

Well that's certainly true.

MJZiggy
09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
BTW

Madtown looks at white people a little like Michael Vick sees dogs: he enjoys watchin them mix it up a little.

So, I expect that Rat Trap will be mostly for smutty pics in the public areas. Or for someone like me who makes fun of the policies of the Great Brown Father.

I so want to be the first in the Rat Trap! Goddamn, I've payed my dues, I deserve it. The honor shall be mine someday!

I thought you said he was German...

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
I thought you said he was German...

German in temperment. And there was some hanky panky with Germans in his family. Nothing official, but everybody knows.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
You were acting a little wacky.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Nutz, you did not find me obsessively dogging anybody.

Or even ocasionally bothering anyone, for that matter.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Geez, didn't mean to rehash this. I just wanted to illustrate a point - that these accusations of the "popular people" receiving preferential treatment by the gang are grossly exaggerated.

falco
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
uh oh....not again.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
uh oh....not again.

knock off the bullshit Falco this is just good natured football talk.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Fucking Thompson.

The Shadow
09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Defending people from mean-spirited attacks by you and the gang is not "whacky", but guess that's a matter of perception.

Defending people????
It's good to know that a lock step member of the thought police has
now generously taken it upon himself to 'defend' those he deems in need
of his protection.....

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh oh Harlan the popular mob is turning their pearly white smile on you again.

Wait, who let shadow into the popular mob. Goddamn it.

Lurker64
09-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Will someone please protect me from mean spirited attacks by Kool and the Gang? They want to take me higher but I just don't want to get down on it.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 09:02 PM
well, at least I don't feel so alone. Shadow seems to think I am part of a mob, the thought police. I wonder exactly what thoughts we are policing. Hope its anti-Ted, that's more fun.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Teen pregnancy for starters,

and trash can lids, mine are always missing so if you all could get on that it would be nice.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Thompson is good but he is also bad at the same time.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 09:09 PM
I would say Thompson is God-like. He can be mercifully, yet swift and terrible. He made Wisconsin. But then Illinois. It's a mixed record.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
. .

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 09:16 PM
this thread is getting the :pc:

that meant axed, like "Go axe yo mudder fo sum grub."

Madtown needs to end the insanity end it now!!!!

Harlan farts like a gopher.

ok now end it!

falco
09-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I've become increasingly fond of the way this place is run and the people here. I just think sometimes a person or group of people think they are doing favors by dealing wtih things secretly and along the way they hurt everyone involved instead of just airing everything out. I personally want to know when a long standing poster gets out of line and does crazy shit becuase I don't want to have to watch that poster get beat up and wonder why.

Now that we are on this topic, I would vote for a public airing of misdemeanor and felony offenses like the court listings in the paper. We're a community here, it serves no good to hide the general public from what is going on. If it's in interest of the forums security, it's OK but if it's a situation where a small group want to hide and deal with problems on their own, I think it just gets ugly. Open, honest communication is the best policy IMHO. Some forums get away with hiding and dealing with things quietly but they ban people all of the time and they enforce rules like Stalinists. It works if you are willing to join that type of forum. Here, everything is free except for the court system. Something just seems tense about how things are handled, and that is not to say everyone isn't doing their very best. I don't have the answer but like I said, opening things up a bit seems like it would allow everyone to understand why the mobs are building and maybe prevent distaste.

dude, you get weirder every single day. its a like a train wreck; horrifying to watch, but somehow you just can't look away...

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 09:20 PM
nah, JH makes sense.

but Mad does things differently than you propose, and he's the warden in this asylum.

Things are relatively civil, I don't see any troublemakers. SC & I were discussing old news.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I even pissed in the punch bowl!!!!

Any tell me what movie that is from, or at least what movie I am thinking of?

Ted Thompson knows the flow of the game and that is why he is legit.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 09:22 PM
I even pissed in the punch bowl!!!!

Any tell me what movie that is from, or at least what movie I am thinking of?

Ted Thompson knows the flow of the game and that is why he is legit.

dude, you get weirder every single day. its a like a train wreck; horrifying to watch, but somehow you just can't look away...

Freak Out
09-03-2007, 09:22 PM
I've become increasingly fond of the way this place is run and the people here. I just think sometimes a person or group of people think they are doing favors by dealing wtih things secretly and along the way they hurt everyone involved instead of just airing everything out. I personally want to know when a long standing poster gets out of line and does crazy shit becuase I don't want to have to watch that poster get beat up and wonder why.

Now that we are on this topic, I would vote for a public airing of misdemeanor and felony offenses like the court listings in the paper. We're a community here, it serves no good to hide the general public from what is going on. If it's in interest of the forums security, it's OK but if it's a situation where a small group want to hide and deal with problems on their own, I think it just gets ugly. Open, honest communication is the best policy IMHO. Some forums get away with hiding and dealing with things quietly but they ban people all of the time and they enforce rules like Stalinists. It works if you are willing to join that type of forum. Here, everything is free except for the court system. Something just seems tense about how things are handled, and that is not to say everyone isn't doing their very best. I don't have the answer but like I said, opening things up a bit seems like it would allow everyone to understand why the mobs are building and maybe prevent distaste.

When 10 people know something and 50 don't and tehn those 10 people proceed to beat up on one person it looks awfully strange to see that one person beat up to the other 50. I would never want to be one of the 10, I would feel uncomfortable knowing things that aren't disclosed ot everyone but I would love for eveyrone to be more open and honest as a whole.

You need to lighten up a little...well a lot.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 09:24 PM

I suggest dancing lessons.

falco
09-03-2007, 09:26 PM

Lombardi held the first ever of his notoriously intense training camps to gear up for the 1959 season. "Dancing is a contact sport," he told his Packers, "Football is a hitting sport." He expected obedience, dedication and 110 percent effort from each man, but he also made a promise to them - If they obeyed his rules and used his method, they would be a championship team. - http://www.vincelombardi.com/about/bio2.htm

Rastak
09-03-2007, 09:26 PM

This is one of those times when I read a thread and get extremely confused. Fortunately it doesn't happen all the time. Does anyone know what prompted this latest turn? What is this new public reporting system?

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Thompson rules :)

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Thompson rules :)

You'll be happy to know I got out of my first draft and selected Donald Driver and the Packer defense. So if my team goes to crap because of the defense and Favre running for his like I'm coming over and dumping your kool aide down the drain :lol:

On a sidenote I also drafted Ahman Green.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
How high did you select the Packers defense? I would think you could pick them up pretty late in most leagues and have a value pick.

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 09:47 PM
How high did you select the Packers defense? I would think you could pick them up pretty late in most leagues and have a value pick.

I believe it was the 9th round so about pick 110
RG picked the Jags right before; they were about the 9th selected

retailguy
09-03-2007, 09:52 PM

And, I'll have you know I selected mason crosby in round 14.

I FORSEE MANY FG ATTEMPTS

SkinBasket
09-03-2007, 09:53 PM
My Prince Albert itches. Is that normal?

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 09:54 PM

And, I'll have you know I selected mason crosby in round 14.

I FORSEE MANY FG ATTEMPTS

Yes, since I value kickers so so highly I waited til round 15; I was OK with the Saints kicker. I'd probably have grabbed Crosby too

retailguy
09-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Thompson is good but he is also bad at the same time.

I knew there was something I didn't like about him, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I think they'll do good for you. They should be a high pressure defense that causes turnovers and scores points. Jax is great too though. They are the best defense in the NFL in my opinion. If their offense wasn't so mediocre, they would look even better.

retailguy
09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I think they'll do good for you. They should be a high pressure defense that causes turnovers and scores points. Jax is great too though. They are the best defense in the NFL in my opinion. If their offense wasn't so mediocre, they would look even better.

So, I did something right in your eyes? :shock:

Fuck, the ground is starting to shake...

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM

To me Baltimore is the best defense, followed by Da Bears. NE and SD a step below. Then a bunch of good defenses about the same in the next tier of six or so. I'd put GB in that group

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
I love how young and physical JAX is and how tough they are up the middle. The Bears might do a little better in fantasy scoring but on strength of the unit, I think Jax wins. Sometimes it gets skewed, a bad offense hurts a good defense and vice versa. The Bears have great ST's and an OK offense. That makes their really good defense look better.

San Diego and Jax are the youngest, most physical defensive units in football. The Bears just don't scare me. Who do they have that (other than Urlacher) that really scares you? I guess Tommy Harris but he seems overrated because he plays in a big market. All the Bears are a little overrated right now I think.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 10:10 PM
I watch every team probably twice per year. Jacksonville impressed the hell out of me last year. They were roudy as hell in that preseason game too. I've watched it a couple times and those guys were spiking our guys to the ground with some brutality. The Chargers did that to us last year. We've been doing that this year as well. Most defenses aren't that physical. Remember Sharpers courtesy pushes?

MJZiggy
09-03-2007, 10:34 PM
So...a TT thread just turned into a football thread? This is unprecedented!!! Yet a pleasant surprise. Baltimore does have a very good defense, but are they starting to age a bit?

Bretsky
09-03-2007, 10:37 PM
So...a TT thread just turned into a football thread? This is unprecedented!!! Yet a pleasant surprise. Baltimore does have a very good defense, but are they starting to age a bit?

They have a good mix; many solid veterans still playing at Pro Bowl Levels

retailguy
09-03-2007, 10:48 PM

They have a good mix; many solid veterans still playing at Pro Bowl Levels

Tampa overachieved when they got older too. Then they got OLD. :(

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 11:32 PM
I drafted the Packers defense in the 9th round and I got Brandon Jackson some where in there and I also took Mason Crosby in the 14th

PackerBlues
09-04-2007, 01:18 AM
WOW, take a couple hours off to play BF2, and look what happens to my Thompson thread. :doh:

Guess I should have stuck around and gotten bashed a little more. :taunt:

Fritz
09-04-2007, 05:45 AM
Am I the only one that feels a little weird talking about the Packers having a good defense? It's been a long, long time since "good" and "Packer defense" could be imagined together.

PackerBlues
09-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Am I the only one that feels a little weird talking about the Packers having a good defense? It's been a long, long time since "good" and "Packer defense" could be imagined together.

Ah, it hasn't been that long Fritz. Sometime before the pick up of Jamal "To Small" Reynolds.........K, it was a while ago. I wouldn't say it feels weird though, I would say it feels good. :P

During the 1995 and 1996 seasons, I was stationed in SanDiego. It was hard to catch a Packer game out there, (especially when I got stuck going on deployment on the Nimitz for a couple weeks at a time) but I still managed to stay caught up on my Packer news, and I knew that the team was special. I had so many friends that were from other states in my squadron, and naturally, they were fans of other teams. Every week, that one of their teams played the Packers, that person would start talkin smack. I couldnt help but to smirk, cause I just knew their team didnt have a chance against our Packers. The Pack lost a few games those years, usually against teams they should have kicked the tar out of. It was a fun time. I don't think we can quite compare this years Packers to the '96 Packers just yet, but I do think that they are going to be very fun to watch again, and they are not far off.

GBRulz
09-04-2007, 08:11 AM

What's been a long time is "good special teams" and Packers in the same sentence! Let's hope that changes this year!!

Zool
09-04-2007, 08:14 AM

What's been a long time is "good special teams" and Packers in the same sentence! Let's hope that changes this year!!

Seems to me its been about the same length of time actually. Its been the Favre show since '98, and its about time he gets some help from the other 2 parts of the game.

The Leaper
09-04-2007, 09:00 AM
You're talking about what pick??? 60ish??? I can't remember what pick Jackson was, but a 2nd rounder this year should yield you 2nd round talent at some position. Since Jackson hasn't played like a 2nd rounder, one of two things seems to be true, 1) TT misevaluated Jackson, or 2) he panicked and reached for him. Either way, TT has created a bit of mess at RB which looks eerily similar to his '05 patchwork OL fiasco.

It is WAY too early to start labeling Jackson as someone playing way below their draft status Wist. To be honest, neither Lynch or AP has looked any better than Jackson in preseason...and they were both top picks. To be honest, few rookie RBs this year looked great in preseason...it was a thin year at that position. You also have to consider that many teams run a vanilla offense in preseason (counters, draws are rare) that allows the defense to have a marked advantage in terms of stopping the run.

Thompson was screwed by Green's injury. It forced him to give Green a one year deal, which allowed someone like Houston to throw stupid money at him this offseason. I'm sure Thompson would have preferred to have Green still playing in Green Bay, but he can't control stupid GMs who vastly overspend on aging vets like Ahman.

Throw in the thin draft at RB and thin FA crop, and there wasn't much of an option for Thompson at RB. People who are heaping on Thompson for not doing anything refuse to recognize that there weren't many options available to him outside of trading a bunch of draft picks for Turner...who isn't any more durable than Morency or Jackson and currently is injured.

Packnut
09-04-2007, 09:03 AM

They had better be more than good, I've drafted them in all 8 of my fantasy leagues. :)

Partial
09-04-2007, 09:48 AM

I think this post should be read by all.

TT F'd up the Walker situation. Having Javon Walker here would leave us with less cap room for people to bitch and one of the best receiving corps in the league.

Thats about the only thing I blame him for because I didn't see a whole lot of players that I would have wanted to pay big bucks to. The day than Leonard Davis takes home 17 mil guaranteed is absolutely ridiculous.

Partial
09-04-2007, 09:51 AM

Why do guys like you always point directly to Travis Henry as if he were the only FA RB available? Is it because he is the only guy that fits your limited argument on the issue?

To answer your question, and to point out that there were in fact (contrary to what you would like everyone to believe) other options.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsRB.html

Michael Turner, RFA, San Diego Chargers
Turner takes a beating and keeps going. Turner isn’t well known to the general public, but the kid has talent. He gets a handful of carries behind Ladainian Tomlinson and has maximized those carries, averaging six yards per carry in his short career. He carried just 80 times this season, but it was a career high for Turner, and he was still able to crack the 500 yard-mark with a pair of touchdowns. With his strong running style and production in San Diego this season, it shouldn’t surprise anyone to see Turner sign elsewhere—but the Chargers may look to keep their dangerous rushing combo together.

Dominic Rhodes, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Rhodes’ performance throughout the season was not as impressive as some speculated it might be, after he was given a chance to earn more carries with the departure of Edgerrin James. He carried 187 times for just 641 yards on the season, and rookie Joseph Addai was the more impressive runner on the roster. Rhodes was able to find the endzone five times by being a power back type for the team, but did not catch the attention of many. Super Bowl XLI may have changed that. With 113 yards on the ground—his largest rushing total since 2001—and a score, Rhodes was arguably the best player on the field in the biggest game of the season. Indianapolis may look to keep him, but he may be the target of a few teams looking to take a chance on a back that stepped it up when he needed to most.

Chris Brown, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Brown might wind up back in Tennessee when all is said and done, but there could be interest from teams looking for a decent backup or desperate for a starter with some experience under his belt. A team might like to use Brown in a running back by committee scenario, but his 41 carries for less than four yards per carry in 2006 hurt his stock. His upright running style might make him an appealing change of pace back, but it is also a weakness at times. He did rush for over 1,000 yards in just 11 games during the 2004 season, but Brown’s health is a concern. In his three seasons, he’s never played in all 16 games.

Correll Buckhalter, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles
With Brian Westbrook starting and Ryan Moats waiting in the wings, Buckhalter may look for an expanded role outside of Philadelphia. The third year running back was called upon for just 83 carries this season, his lowest total of his career. He averaged more than four yards per carry and some extra muscle for the Eagles’ run game. His potential combined with his adequate ability as a receiving back means that he could become a strong contributor for a team willing to use him more often.

Jamal Lewis, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
The Ravens cut the former first round pick on the final day of February, but will make an attempt to re-sign the running back to a lesser contract. Even though Lewis had a poor 2005 outing, his 2006 effort was improved as he rushed for over 1,100 yards and found the end zone on five occasions. There may be a team or two willing to gamble on one of the few players in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season. He will probably be overpaid, if he doesn’t re-sign with Baltimore. Still only 27, there may be some strong production left for Lewis.

Ron Dayne, UFA, Houston Texans
The former Heisman winner will be hard-pressed to find a team that can best utilize what Dayne brings to the field. He was able to average more than five yards per rush two seasons ago for Denver, and over four yards per rush this past season with Houston, but he isn’t the type of back that you can count on to carry the load all of the time. He has worked best in a committee approach to the backfield, making Dayne’s options somewhat limited based on where he can be effective. He may have to settle for being a spot player on a team with a clear number one.

T.J. Duckett, UFA, Washington Redskins
The running back has a visit scheduled with the Lions, and his age of just 26 means that teams will give him a look. He could fit well behind a quick and shifty back like he did behind Warrick Dunn in Atlanta, but he may not find the playing time he’s looking for at the moment. His talent isn’t that of a top back, and he shouldn’t expect to command much on the market. He is the two of a one-two punch at best.

Other Free Agent Running Backs
Najeh Davenport, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Nick Goings, UFA, Carolina Panthers
Maurice Hicks, RFA, San Francisco 49ers
Patrick Pass, UFA, New England Patriots
B.J. Sams, RFA, Baltimore Ravens
Marcel Shipp, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Antowain Smith, UFA, Houston Texans

OMFG LOL. Seriously? That's your list?!?! Give me what we have over any of those guys except Turner. I think i'll pass on a 1st rounder for Turner as well considering he is extremely unproven. This guy has quickly become very overrated in league circles. If he was the second coming of jesus h Turner than someone would have dropped a first rounder for him.

Partial
09-04-2007, 09:55 AM
...but with the college draft next year absolutely LOADED at RB, I can see why Thompson did what he did.

1. Darren McFadden Arkansas
2. Steve Slaton West Virginia
3. Felix Jones Arkansas
4. Jonathan Stewart Oregon
5. Tashard Choice Georgia Tech
6. Ray Rice Rutgers
7. Mike Hart Michigan
8. Yvenson Bernard Oregon State
9. Ian Johnson Boise State
10. Ryan Torain Arizona State

All first day picks for sure. Lots and lots of talent next year. I think the QB from West Virginia is also going to enter the pro game as a back.

Partial
09-04-2007, 10:03 AM
My Prince Albert itches. Is that normal?

This is what it sounds like, when a dove cries.

Cheesehead Craig
09-04-2007, 10:03 AM

3. Felix Jones Arkansas
6. Ray Rice Rutgers
7. Mike Hart Michigan

All first day picks for sure. Lots and lots of talent next year. I think the QB from West Virginia is also going to enter the pro game as a back.
Barring a disastrous season or a major trade up to the top 3, there's no shot at us getting McFadden. We have a better chance of getting his teammate, Felix Jones.

Partial
09-04-2007, 10:04 AM

To me Baltimore is the best defense, followed by Da Bears. NE and SD a step below. Then a bunch of good defenses about the same in the next tier of six or so. I'd put GB in that group

I don't think NE is that high anymore. Their inside linebackers are getting old in a hurry. I don't especially like their secondary. I would swap Jax with NE.

cheesner
09-04-2007, 02:26 PM

3. Felix Jones Arkansas
6. Ray Rice Rutgers
7. Mike Hart Michigan

Barring a disastrous season or a major trade up to the top 3, there's no shot at us getting McFadden. We have a better chance of getting his teammate, Felix Jones.I don't think anyone believes we can get McFadden, but with him up there, all the rest of the RBs will shift down. But you never know - who would have thought at this time last year that we could pass on Alan Branch and Brady Quinn. Both were supposed to be top 5ish.