View Full Version : Jason Wilde on Sunday's practice, roster moves

motife
09-03-2007, 01:39 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/index.php?ntid=213594

Packers notes: Driver at practice, but limited
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY — Donald Driver took part in the jog-through and individual drill portions of practice Sunday — a positive step toward playing in the regular-season opener against Philadelphia next Sunday — but the Green Bay Packers' No. 1 wide receiver might not see much 11-on-11 practice time this week, coach Mike McCarthy said.

"He'll be limited for the remainder of the week," McCarthy said. "We'll make a decision on him at the end of the week."

Driver suffered a sprained right foot in the team's Aug. 23 preseason game against Jacksonville. He missed Thursday's preseason finale at Tennessee but watched from the sideline wearing a protective boot.

Driver declined comment when approached at his locker Sunday, shaking his head while he ate a bowl of cereal.

Asked if he was optimistic Driver will be able to play, McCarthy said, "Yeah, I feel the same way today as I did last week."

Crosby 'excited'

Every time Mason Crosby's phone rang Saturday, he thought it was "the" call — the one where the Packers told them they were going with incumbent Dave Rayner as their kicker.

Instead, it was everyone but the Packers calling, including his parents multiple times.

"No word was good word. As long as my phone wasn't ringing, it was a good sign," Crosby said. "My thought process is, I just want to keep getting better. I can't settle and can't be like, 'Oh, I got the job now, I can get comfortable and settle in.' I have to earn this job every day."

Asked what separated Crosby and Rayner, who dueled to a virtual draw during camp, general manager Ted Thompson said the decision was "really, really tough" and called the battle " a remarkable competition."

"They're different personalities, but they're both extremely talented kickers," Thompson said. "I don't know what it is, whether it's just a gut call or what, but eventually you have to make a choice."

Emergency? Dial 1-8

With jersey No. 18, wide receiver Carlyle Holiday has a quarterback-looking number. And if something goes really wrong one Sunday and both Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers suffer injuries, Holiday will reprise his role as a quarterback, which he played at Notre Dame.

That's the reality for the Packers, who kept only Favre and Rodgers on their 53-man roster. Undrafted rookie Paul Thompson was added to the practice squad.

"Frankly, we feel like we're very strong depth-wise at some positions that we just wanted to hang onto those players," Thompson said. "A number of teams have (kept two quarterbacks) over the last few years, and we felt it was something worth trying. And you never know if it will work out, but we feel very good about the two that we have."

Favre and Rodgers did suffer injuries in the same game last year, Nov. 19 against New England. But after Favre suffered an elbow injury, Rodgers finished the game despite breaking his foot in the third quarter.

Practice makes perfect

The Packers filled seven of the eight available slots on their practice squad with players who were in camp with the team: Thompson, wide receivers David Clowney and Chris Francies, tight end Clark Harris, running back Corey White, linebacker Spencer Havner and tackle Orrin Thompson.

Clowney, a fifth-round pick, and Harris, a seventh-round pick, were the only draft picks not to make the 53-man roster.

The Packers saved the eighth spot for defensive end Larry Birdine, but Ted Thompson said Birdine saw the 11 defensive linemen on the 53-man roster and chose to look elsewhere.

"We made it clear to him that ... we were offering him a spot," Thompson said. "But he would rather maybe go someplace that only has eight defensive linemen."

motife
09-03-2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=213405&ntpid=3

Packers: Not your typical roster
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY -- Down in the bowels of Lambeau Field -- in an area not part of the daily stadium tours the team conducts -- are the position meeting rooms. They are located just off the Green Bay Packers ' locker room and furnished with comfy theater-style seats, wipe-away boards and a video projector.

Right now, the defensive line meeting room is standing room only.

OK, not quite. But close.

"It is kind of crowded, ' ' defensive tackle Corey Williams admitted Sunday after general manager Ted Thompson kept 11 defensive linemen on the 53-man roster. "Everybody 's not going to be able to sit in the comfortable seats. The young guys, we make them pull up chairs and sit on the side, by the wall. ' '

There 's no such problem in the tight end meeting room, where Bubba Franks, Donald Lee and position coach Ben McAdoo had the place all to themselves until rookie seventh-round pick Clark Harris was added to the practice squad Sunday.

"Bubba and I talked about it. We 're like, `Man, there 's just the two of us, so we 're going to have to have each other 's back, ' ' ' Lee said.

Yes, with 11 defensive linemen and 10 defensive backs and only two quarterbacks, two tight ends and five linebackers, the Packers ' roster entering next Sunday 's regular-season opener against Philadelphia at Lambeau Field isn 't exactly how Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy envisioned the 53-man crew breaking down entering camp.

But, as Thompson likes to say, it is what it is.

"(The roster) is a little bit out of balance than a normal, ' ' Thompson admitted. "When you 're sitting there in the summertime and in the spring, you 're thinking, `We 'll probably carry this many at (this) position, this many here. ' Ours is a little skewed.

"We wanted to make sure we tried our best to keep our best 53, and that might mean the roster gets skewed a little bit. ' '

Not included in those 53 was safety Marquand Manuel, who lost his starting job to Atari Bigby midway through camp and signed with the Carolina Panthers Sunday after the Packers released him Saturday.

"I think (Manuel 's release) is more of a reflection of the emergence of Atari Bigby and a couple of young guys that we have high hopes for that we think are going to be very good players, ' ' Thompson said. "We were very honest with Marquand all along, especially when it started looking like it was going to go the other way. Did we expect a little more last year? Yeah, but it wasn 't because he wasn 't trying. It just didn 't work out. ' '

One move the Packers made to balance out the roster was claiming ex-Pittsburgh Steelers fullback John Kuhn on waivers. Kuhn played nine games with the Steelers in 2006 after spending 2005 on Pittsburgh 's practice squad. He takes the roster spot of halfback Noah Herron, who was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury.

Kuhn was the second player added to the backfield in as many days, after Thompson traded what is believed to be a seventh-round pick to the New York Giants for halfback Ryan Grant. Thompson said Sunday that the pick is not a conditional pick.

Thompson said he did try to make other trades -- including dealing kicker Dave Rayner, who lost his competition with rookie sixth-round pick Mason Crosby -- but couldn 't get anything done. Thompson was especially surprised that there wasn 't more interest in the team 's 11 defensive linemen.

"(There was) some early, ' ' Thompson said, adding that he expects to keep all 11 on the roster all season. "I don 't know that we had anybody call us (Saturday) about that, which was a little surprising, but I had kind of made up my mind. I kind of wanted to keep this group together. ' '

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 05:39 PM
"We wanted to make sure we tried our best to keep our best 53, and that might mean the roster gets skewed a little bit."

I think this is a wise approach. Sure, they could hang-on to a guy like Alcorn to balance the roster, but Alcorn-quality guys can be signed off practice squads in the event of a Franks or Lee get injured.

Unfortunately, I think most teams are strongly biased towards keeping the best 53 players. Which is why the waiver wire is mostly garbage. Well, "garbage" is a little harsh, they may be good players someday, but they are guys you wouldn't want to make active for a game.

Joemailman
09-03-2007, 07:44 PM
My guess is Tramon Williams is gone once Will Blackmon is ready to assume PR and KR duties. You just don't need 6 CB's.

Deputy Nutz
09-03-2007, 07:51 PM
My guess is Tramon Williams is gone once Will Blackmon is ready to assume PR and KR duties. You just don't need 6 CB's.

Besides the obvious, injury why not have Woodson do it until blackmon gets the cast off?

Tell me, tell me right now. I know your online.

Lurker64
09-03-2007, 07:55 PM

That's probably going to come down to what else he can do on special teams though. If he's a decent return man, but a great gunner you probably keep him around since you need those guys. Anybody have any idea what our coverage teams look like this year? It's virtually impossible to get a sense of that in the preseason, since you try out everyone and their brother on special teams to give them a shot at showing they belong.

Joemailman
09-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Besides the obvious, injury why not have Woodson do it until blackmon gets the cast off?

Tell me, tell me right now. I know your online.

I think Woodson will return punts. Williams will return kickoffs.

Partial
09-03-2007, 10:30 PM
TT is definitely building a defensive team. 6 LBS, 6 CBs, 4 S, 11 DL. That's insane!

To think they had 12 53-man roster caliber players on the DL is just flat-out awesome.

Noodle
09-04-2007, 12:08 AM
I don't think it's too surprising that TT has a love of the D, former LB and all. And he's been pretty good at the D talent he's brought in, though his best defensive player, Kampman, we should all remember came from Shermy.

I really can't think of one defensive move he's made that he can be fairly cracked on about. Even Manual was a good move, it just didn't work out. So if he thinks he's that many good players on D, then I'll buy that.

It'll be interesting to see if they can keep all those DL guys occupied and satisfied with play time.