PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart UPDATED 9/3 - JOLLY a STARTER!!!

gbpackfan
09-03-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

Jolly and Pickett are your starting DTs. Jolly went from the out-house to the penthouse. Coming into camp out of shape and then basically playing his way into the starting line-up.

Harrell is 3rd team. No shock there.

Charles Woodson is the #1 PR.

Tramon Williams is the #1 KR.

Carlyle Holiday is officially the #3 QB.

Morency is the starting RB.

Hall is the #1 FB.

falco
09-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I thought Blackmon was going to be our next Desmond Howard on the returns, but he's not even the backup returner. Is it just because of his broken thumb right now? Or did he fall out of favor.

The Leaper
09-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Jolly deserves the start...he had a tremendous camp.

BallHawk
09-03-2007, 05:30 PM
What don't the Packers get? You do not, no matter how good he is, put your starting cornerback as a puny returner. That's common sense. Why not put Will Blackmon or Tramon Williams, guys that if they get hurt, it's not big loss.

If we lose CW for an extended period of time, there is no way this team can make the playoffs.

Brandon494
09-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Why is Woodson our strating PR over Blackmon? :x

CaliforniaCheez
09-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Holliday as the #3 QB is not part of the 45 man game day roster yet can still enter the game. It is a nice way to sneak an extra receiver on to the game day roster.

Pretty good assumption that Palmer and Muir will be game day inactives.

Joemailman
09-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Blackmon has a broken thumb. I expect he'll be the #1 KR and PR when he is 100%.

Lurker64
09-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Blackmon has a broken thumb. I expect he'll be the #1 KR and PR when he is 100%.

From now until Blackmon is 100%, Tramon Williams looks to still be fighting for a roster spot, because by that point in the season we might need something else (another RB? 3rd TE?) more than a 6th CB.

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 05:51 PM
There, the best man won the starting DT gig. I'm glad to see this conversation come to an end. Harrell was obviously not in the running for starting DT but the website said that so it was geting people all riled up for no reason. For the sake of getting peoples panties in a bunch, I hope they keep up on that better next year.

On a more positive note, I can see Harrell/Jolly as the DT's of the future on this team.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2007, 05:54 PM

Crap. How long is he out?

RashanGary
09-03-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm going to guess 8 weeks with a broken bone. . .

I also do not like Woodson returning punts. Jennings would make more sense. Jones would even make sense in that role.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 06:04 PM

I thought I read somewhere he can still catch and is gonna play.

bigcoz75
09-03-2007, 06:07 PM
It's a hairline fracture. Should be healed in 2 to 3 weeks. He could probably be the returner now if not for grip concerns.

Joemailman
09-03-2007, 06:08 PM
From PackersNews:

Blackmon questionable for returns
Will Blackmon's availability for punt and kickoff returns is in question for Sunday's opener as he continues to recover from a broken thumb.

The second-year pro was named the primary return man in the preseason, but special teams coordinator Mike Stock said today Blackmon hasn't proven he can handle the jobs with a cast on his left hand.

"I ain't seen him catch the ball," Stock said. "He was back there (for punt returns in practice today) — I didn't go back there — but I didn't see him try to field the ball. He said he can field 'em fine, but I was looking for evidence, and I didn't see it."

Last year's primary punt returner, veteran Charles Woodson, could resume that duty if Blackmon isn't ready and is listed atop the depth chart on the Packers' Web site. Greg Jennings, James Jones and Tramon Williams also are options.

Williams, whose surprising appearance on the 53-man roster likely was related to his return ability, would return kickoffs if Blackmon cannot, Stock said. Rookie running back DeShawn Wynn is expected to be the second deep man regardless.

Blackmon has a Bennett's fracture at the base on his thumb. Complicating matters is the fact that the cast Blackmon wears on game day is different than the one he wears in practice; trainers must tighten it and apply molding to make it less club-like. Stock said he's not sure whether the game-day cast might be too heavy.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

falco
09-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Never mind.

Lurker64
09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Blackmon's the #2 LCB according to the depth chart, that would mean he's still at least the dime back, right?

gbpackfan
09-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Blackman's fracture is very small (thin) so he should be ready to go shortly.

Yes, Blackman is the dime back and is not the PR/KR because he hasnt convinced Mike Stock that he can catch the ball cleanly with a cast on. Nothing to get alarmed over.

As for Tramon Williams, is he just holding a spot that is soon to be occupied by Koren Robinson?

Fritz
09-03-2007, 06:28 PM
What don't the Packers get? You do not, no matter how good he is, put your starting cornerback as a puny returner. That's common sense. Why not put Will Blackmon or Tramon Williams, guys that if they get hurt, it's not big loss.

If we lose CW for an extended period of time, there is no way this team can make the playoffs.

Agreed. He needs to be large.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Holliday as the #3 QB is not part of the 45 man game day roster yet can still enter the game. It is a nice way to sneak an extra receiver on to the game day roster.

nah, he'll have to count against the 45, otherwise he can ONLY play emergency QB.

Its good to see McCarthy come clean with the DT pecking order. Obviously he was feeling the heat from RetailGuy, myself, etc. here at PR.

I'm a little surprised that Donald Lee held-off Bubba for the starting job. But guess we are talking twiddle-dee and twiddle-dum.

motife
09-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Last week or the week before Johnny Jolly intercepted a screen pass in practice, and Mike McCarthy commented it was one of the greatest plays he'd ever seen.

Lurker64
09-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Agreed. He needs to be large.

Wasn't one of the reasons Woodson signed here, instead of Tampa Bay that Green Bay promised him the opportunity to return punts? Clearly Woodson wants to return punts, so potentially he gets the #1 PR spot right now to appease him. I don't know how many punts you actually want him returning, however. I'd think they might let him do a few a game until he starts getting a little dinged up and then not let him return a punt under any circumstance.

Joemailman
09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
There was talk that he may have preferred Green Bay over Tampa Bay because Gruden wanted him to play Safety instead of CB. I thought the issue of returning punts came after he was signed.

vince
09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I remember hearing him speak about no longer being on punt return duty earlier in the preseason, and he indicated taht he was fine with handing those duties over to someone else if that's what was best for the team at the time. He's more of a team guy than I think he gets credit for. Once his business was taken care of, I think the same can be said about Harris as well.

gbpackfan
09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I think it was about a week ago when C Wood said he WANTS to return punts. He enjoys doing it and was hoping to do it again this season. It is a big risk though.

The Shadow
09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Jolly good!

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I liked some things I saw from Tramon Williams on defense. He's got nice athletic ability and he hits hard for a corner. However, returning punts and kicks was NOT one of the things I liked. He was awful in the preseason. He let about 3 punts bounce, he fumbled a punt, and he generally did nothing when he did return the ball.

retailguy
09-03-2007, 09:47 PM

nah, he'll have to count against the 45, otherwise he can ONLY play emergency QB.

Its good to see McCarthy come clean with the DT pecking order. Obviously he was feeling the heat from RetailGuy, myself, etc. here at PR.

I'm a little surprised that Donald Lee held-off Bubba for the starting job. But guess we are talking twiddle-dee and twiddle-dum.

I'm very relieved my hate mail letters were answered. and with complimentary season tix to boot. That was very nice of them.

MJZiggy
09-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Jolly good!

Jolly is good. He's starting you know...

Sorry, I had to.

Partial
09-03-2007, 10:38 PM

???

Neon Deon, Rod Woodson, Adam Jones, etc. I see no reason why they shouldn't. Put the best man back there no matter what. No fear.

Partial
09-03-2007, 10:42 PM
There was talk that he may have preferred Green Bay over Tampa Bay because Gruden wanted him to play Safety instead of CB. I thought the issue of returning punts came after he was signed.

He said the reason was that MM promised him the opportunity to play some offense as well. Whether that is a Percy Harvin role or a receiving position, we know not. MM took that away from him when he skipped the OTAs and started slow in camp. JS wrote an article on it.