PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the Croc Hunter - 1 year later

GBRulz
09-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Wow, it's already been one year since Steve Irwin passed away.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/09/04/irwin.emails/index.html

Your e-mails: Remembering the 'Croc Hunter'Story Highlights
'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin died one year ago today

(CNN) -- It's been a year since Steve Irwin, the environmentalist and TV host best known as the "Crocodile Hunter," died. He was killed September 4, 2006, by a stingray barb to the chest while filming an underwater documentary off Australia's northern coast.

Katrina Gonzalez shared this photo taken during an April 2006 trip to the Australia Zoo in Beerwah, Australia.

Irwin's death prompted a global outpouring of grief from fans, children and hundreds of early I-Report contributors, who shared photos, videos and memories with CNN shortly after he died. A year since, we asked CNN.com readers what they think his legacy will be, and how they are remembering him this year. Here is a selection of their responses:

Carol Shahan of Wilmington, Delaware
In April, my Girl Scout Service Unit held an encampment. The event lasted Friday-Sunday and over 350 girls and leaders attended. Our theme was "Crikey! Let's go camping -- a tribute to the conservation legacy of Steve Irwin." The girls learned about how they can help conserve their part of the world and contributed funds to the Wildlife Warriors through a coin drive.

Melissa Amundsen Wells of Greensboro, North Carolina
Steve Irwin taught my daughter and myself that all animals deserve respect and protection, not just the furry cute ones. Every animal on the planet has a unique purpose and he conveyed that better than anyone else. His love for his work was a real inspiration to my whole family. We miss you Steve.

Donna Beckum of Orab, Ohio
It was a great honor to watch Bindi's show several times this past weekend. She is sure a chip off the ol' block! I will never forget Steve and his remarkable quest. I will continue to watch Bindi and all of the "Crocodile Hunter" episodes that are rerun. You just never get tired of watching them. I pray that God blesses Terri and her children and that Bindi continues to carry on where her daddy left off. Steve Irwin was an icon and certainly made a difference. He will never be forgotten!

John Hock of Alpharetta, Georgia
Met him in March of '06. He was on his motorbike in the zoo with his son on the front of the bike. He had is hat and sunglasses on. We were over by the camels. I yelled "Steve ..." He said "G'Day" to me. Then he was off to the pens behind the crocoseum. Even that brief meeting had an effect on me. To meet someone larger than life is an honor.

Jenna Barnaby of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
... I can't believe it's only been a year. I was so sad when he died and so upset about the unfairness of it all that it feels like he's been gone so much longer. I miss him and think I always will.

MadtownPacker
09-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Damn, that does seem fast. Seems like the Mom is grooming the daughter to carry h on his legacy.

Kiwon
09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Steve-O! Cricky, it's been a year since you've been gone!

Whoo-hoo! Miss ya, mate!

BEARMAN
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Sad, dude seemed solid ! Luv his shows !

Jimx29
09-04-2007, 12:17 PM
His show was alright, but his daughters show and the way she acts on it guarantees that the first time I see her or her Mom, i'm pushing them down.

GBRulz
09-04-2007, 12:28 PM
He was so much more than just his TV show, "The Croc Hunter". What he and Teri did to increase the awareness and conservation of wild animals was incredible. They also gave the Austrailia Zoo a complete renovation. They have helped save so many animals lives, etc.

packinpatland
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
He was so much more than just his TV show, "The Croc Hunter". What he and Teri did to increase the awareness and conservation of wild animals was incredible. They also gave the Austrailia Zoo a complete renovation. They have helped save so many animals lives, etc.

I love celebs that give back.

Guess that's the reason I've been a Paul Newman fan for so long.

mraynrand
09-04-2007, 03:43 PM

I had some of that Paul Newman pasta sauce last night and it just keeps on giving and giving.

packinpatland
09-04-2007, 04:25 PM

I had some of that Paul Newman pasta sauce last night and it just keeps on giving and giving.

:lol: :lol: You know that's not what I meant!!! Altho that was pretty funny. :wink:

MJZiggy
09-04-2007, 04:54 PM
And the blue eyes had NOTHING to do with that fandom????

packinpatland
09-04-2007, 05:23 PM
And the blue eyes had NOTHING to do with that fandom????

He's eighty years old for heaven's sake!!!!

..............yes, it was the blue eyes that started it all. :wink: