PDA

View Full Version : Pack Dissed again

Him8123
09-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Just took a small exerpt from the article but this is just frustrating, I think we are better than everybody is making us out to be. Most analysis are picking us to go 6-10. Hardly any credit has been thrown our way, like how the pack have made starters and good ones out of most of our draft picks the last couple of years. Or how Mccarthy has done one hell of a job coaching and speeding up the rebuilding process. Frustrating......

Nick Bakay's Manly House of Football
By Nick Bakay | NFL.com

NFC NORTH
CHICAGO BEARS
The entire planet is so down on Rex Grossman, he's an automatic lock for comeback player of the year. We forget how young he is, yet his teammates seem to have his back; he is cocky, he will survive.

I was sitting on a plane waiting for take-off at LAX the week after the Super Bowl, and Chicago son Jim Belushi entered, sat across the aisle from me, and was promptly questioned about his Super Bowl reaction. He just shook his head and said, "Quarterback."

Fair enough. Rex had that kind of game, what about stopping the run?! Your vaunted defense set Dominic Rhodes for life! The Bears big mystery isn't at QB, but at DT and RB. The D-line will settle down with heath and additions, but when they send a proven warrior like Thomas Jones packing, they beg questions. Why are you assuming Cedric Benson is "the man?" I have yet to see it.

That's the bad news, the good news is that Adrian Peterson is there to catch another weird Longhorn ball carrier when he falls, the schedule is a cake walk, and you can pencil the Windy City in for a serious run back to the Super Bowl.

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Building ...

Not to be glib, but they will be on the grid when they earn their place on the grid. In the meantime, Minnesota, like many others, is a team you watch only when they are playing a team you care about ... or when you need a big game from their defense to nail down a big win for your fantasy football team.

GREEN BAY PACKERS
Fading. Again, not to be glib, but are we kids or what?

DETROIT LIONS
A team built for greatness ... in a parallel universe called "fantasy football."

Despite head coach Rod Marinelli's defensive expertise, this team looks like Mike Martz is the favorite child. The offense has crazy weapons, including No. 2 overall pick Calvin Johnson. They will be throwing all day long under a dome with a mad genius drawing up the plays -- BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! Especially when paired with an hinky defense. It's called playing catch-up, and it is fantasy football's answer to putting out the fire with gasoline.

BallHawk
09-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Fading? Don't you have to be good before you can fade?

Him8123
09-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I think they meant how there was a drought before the 90`s and then we hit excellence for a while and we`re fading again. That`s how I took it. I don`t know how they are fading when it`s a really young and talented team on the rise again. yea Favre is getting older but we have a pretty good young QB who has improved alot and whose future looks pretty bright right now.

packinpatland
09-04-2007, 03:32 PM
A one-liner, that was all they had??

And why would he ask Jim Bellushi anything???
Oh,.... coming from Chicago makes him an expert :roll:

BEARMAN
09-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Not to kick a fellow whilst he is down, but your run game is in trouble, you have questions at TE, Oline and DB's. Your QB is old, common, admitt it , stop being homers. Your sp. teams are anything but special. Where as Da BEARS, adressed their worries, DT, Tank who? Off season aquisistion, free agency and the draft bolstered that posision nicley. TE, got two good ones. WR, got several realy good ones. Oline, while you are gonna say old, I say one of the best and most experianced in the leauge. "D", common, one of the best in the NFL ! Sp. teams, all good, I am not the only one saying that Da BEARS are legitimate contenders. 8-)

BallHawk
09-04-2007, 03:35 PM
So he writes an article about the NFC North and he writes more about the Bears then the other 3 teams combined?

Yeah, real good journalism right there. :roll:

BEARMAN
09-04-2007, 03:36 PM

Well, ... Yes, Yes it dose ! 8-)

BallHawk
09-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Not to kick a fellow whilst he is down, but your run game is in trouble, you have questions at TE, Oline and DB's. Your QB is old, common, admitt it , stop being homers. Your sp. teams are anything but special. Where as Da BEARS, adressed their worries, DT, Tank who? Off season aquisistion, free agency and the draft bolstered that posision nicley. TE, go two good ones. WR, got several realy good ones. Oline, while you are gonna say old, I say one of the best and most experianced in the leauge. "D", common, one of the best in the NFL ! Sp. teams, all good, I am not the only one saying that Da BEARS are legitimate contenders. 8-)

I could care less if he has an opinion, he's entitled to it, but he wrote one line. One freakin' line. Did he even think before he wrote that? Did he even have a rational thought before typing that? Seriously, how these guys have jobs is beyond me. :?:

Lurker64
09-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I have to say what little content this article had on the Packers, every single bit of it was incorrect. This team is not fading, it's on the upswing. We might not exactly be great or even good yet, but is anybody denying that we're a young team getting better? Well, anybody but this hack?

It would be nice if the national media were capable of seeing past our QB some time.

Ballboy
09-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Not to kick a fellow whilst he is down, but your run game is in trouble, you have questions at TE, Oline and DB's. Your QB is old, common, admitt it , stop being homers. Your sp. teams are anything but special. Where as Da BEARS, adressed their worries, DT, Tank who? Off season aquisistion, free agency and the draft bolstered that posision nicley. TE, got two good ones. WR, got several realy good ones. Oline, while you are gonna say old, I say one of the best and most experianced in the leauge. "D", common, one of the best in the NFL ! Sp. teams, all good, I am not the only one saying that Da BEARS are legitimate contenders. 8-)

What questions do we have at OL? By the end of the year last year they played together very well, not giving-up hardly any sacks????

DB's - What question do we have? Two legit pro-bowl corners, wasn't Woodson tops in INT's for 06?

You can call Brett anything you want...just so you can sleep well at night. You know, as well as everyone else that he can still strike fear. He may not be as nimble, yes, he is 37.....but he has one of the best arms in the league.

Granted, our SP sucked last year, that was because our back-ups weren't that good. We will see this year.

How exactly did the Bears address the DT position? I live and work in the Chicago land area, and the DT position is one of worry by many talk radio spots - even worse, they worry how it will affect Urlacher in the middle.

I'm not sure what you mean by "several really good ones" at WR. Sure, Bernard seems like he could be "that guy". MM is a possesion receiver at best. Are talking about Bradly - who hasn't hardly played because he has been injured? Or wait....Devin Hester? Who got hurt on an offensive play that he was trying to block on?

Really, what it all comes down to at WR is the ability of the QB to get them the ball......are you saying that your WR are the best because they have a great QB to get them the ball?!!?? Now who is drinking the Bear-Aide.....this is the same QB that fumbled how many snaps this preseason from the "great" OL center you are talking about?

In all reality, I think the Packers & Bears will split the regular season series. Packers must win all other division games going 4-5 in the division.

4and12to12and4
09-04-2007, 04:01 PM

Most experts know how to spell "does", actually quite a few illiterates do also. Maybe you're mom should start typing you're poorly spelled and grammatically incorrect posts for you, bearnaked!! You have been exposed.

Packers4Ever
09-04-2007, 04:19 PM
I think they meant how there was a drought before the 90`s and then we hit excellence for a while and we`re fading again. That`s how I took it. I don`t know how they are fading when it`s a really young and talented team on the rise again. yea Favre is getting older but we have a pretty good young QB who has improved alot and whose future looks pretty bright right now.

I sure hope you're right, Him8123, I've always had my glass 3/4 full but can't manage it this time.
There's such a thing as wanting something so badly that pretty soon
we figure it's close to being true. Yes, we've improved - thankfully! - but I don't think it's going to be enough to make people sit up and say Hey, not outside of the organization anyway. Parts of each line are better, surely way more than 2005, but many are still learning on the job. Like you, I'm waiting til I can read all the glowing reports on how the Pack stuffed its latest opponent, I just can't see them doing it frequently enough this year to boost them up to maybe 10-6.
Sure hope I'm guessing too low, but consistency is the game here...
:cow:

packinpatland
09-04-2007, 04:31 PM

Most experts know how to spell "does", actually quite a few illiterates do also. Maybe you're mom should start typing you're poorly spelled and grammatically incorrect posts for you, bearnaked!! You have been exposed.

Thank you for getting after this little twit! I couldn't have said it better!!!!!

Him8123
09-04-2007, 04:37 PM
very true. My argument though packlady is that we are not a fading team such as the article suggests. I was simply stating in my own opinion, as well as everyone knows, yes we are rebuilding. But I feel we are up and coming again, not fading. No one is suggesting 10-6, stuffing opponents, dominating the field. etc. etc. But we are a little better than the average opposing fan, or critic gives us credit for if at all they do. We have a lot of questions on the offensive side of the ball, mainly RB and TE. But our O-line is gelling nicely, they just need to work on opening more holes for whoever is running the ball or for the "committee" for that factor. Also our defense finished last season very nicely and seems to me that they are still on that roll, I know it was only preseason but still. I think our D will be the majority factor of our wins, but I think, and I may be drink the koolaid as one would suggest. But I think our offense will come into its own especially with Driver, a healthy Jennings, and The newly talented James Jones, and hopefully Franks will be back to his old self as he has looked in preseason. So with that being said I think we will be alright not fading as all the pessimists would say about us...we are rising. At least thats just my opinion.

Freak Out
09-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Who cares what the "experts" and Bears fans think of the Packers..not me. The Packers have to go out and make all those chumps eat their words.

MJZiggy
09-04-2007, 04:57 PM
No one is suggesting 10-6, stuffing opponents, dominating the field. etc. etc.

I am....just look at the prediction thread... 8-)

MadtownPacker
09-04-2007, 07:33 PM
I love when these morons talk down on the G&G but this guy didn't even bother to do that!

I dont think the D is flying under the radar in NFL circles though. I bet Andy Reid is very concerned about what will happen if Kamp, Jenkins, and all the other big boys on the DL have their way on Sunday.

BEARMAN
09-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Your OL is at best ordinary, lord farve runs for his life more plays then not. Why do you think he throws so many INT's, cos he has all the time in the world back there? Me thinks not.

Your DB's have not turned in passing grades in the last two seasons. The only bright spot is your LR core, they are just ok.

Lord farves arm best be ready, cos with no/little run game he will be passing(attempting to anyway) alot.

I see no change in your SP team play this season.

Da BEARS aquired a good DL from Philly, got Dusty back from injury last season, and drafted a couple promising DL this year. Da BEARS DL will be fine, helping Mr. Urlacher win DPY, again.

Laughing at D Hester is not a smart thing to do, how many did he run back for TD's against your Pack? Bernard is the guy, harolded(not by me) as one of the best WR in the game at this time. MM is still one of the best possesion WR in the game. Clark/Olson are two of the best TE in the game right now.

Good Rex and/or Bad Rex, Da BEARS will win with what every Rex shows up, with our outstanding "D", or with Sp Teams, or with Rex throwing TD's, what ever it takes to win.

Splitting with Da BEARS is the least of your worries, BTW, the first one means the most, the second game will mean little to Da BEARS as they will have wrapped up all they can by then.

Compairing the pack to Da BEARS is like compaireing a pea shooter to a 155 howitzer. Another round of kool-aid if you please.

BEARMAN
09-04-2007, 08:01 PM

I thought we was playing nice, ... ? "If" I am exposed, don't worry you have the same thing, ... only smaller. :oops:

arcilite
09-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Bernard is the guy, harolded(not by me) as one of the best WR in the game at this time.

Dont ever talk about football again. You can stop right here.

Him8123
09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Your DB's have not turned in passing grades in the last two seasons. The only bright spot is your LR core, they are just ok..

LR core?? I had no idea there was a position in football called LR what "dose" a LR do beardung??

MJZiggy
09-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Just took a small exerpt from the article but this is just frustrating, I think we are better than everybody is making us out to be. Most analysis are picking us to go 6-10. Hardly any credit has been thrown our way, like how the pack have made starters and good ones out of most of our draft picks the last couple of years. Or how Mccarthy has done one hell of a job coaching and speeding up the rebuilding process. Frustrating......

If it makes you feel any better, Him, think of how much fun it's gonna be watching them all backpedal and try and pretend they knew how good we were gonna be come November after we tear up the league...

RIPackerFan
09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Most "experts" do not have the time to truly evaluate every team - so they poach ideas from other "experts" - basically its a cycle that eats itself. The first person writes something - and then the rest follow.

And whats the easiest thing to write about - FA signings and big splash acquisitions. Most "experts" big picks are those teams that made a big splash (or did well last year).

Understanding depth - and improving through maturity - is something most experts can't see because they don't know enough about the team to do so.

I think our team is on the rise - mostly because of the D, improving ST and being in the second year of a system.

I also think we are better equiped at WR and our 0-line, through experience and an off-season in the NFL for the rookies - is better than last year. RB is still a question - and TE looks to be the same.

Personally, I think we are going to see a lot of 3 - 4 receiver sets - where the average gain is 3 - 5 yards. From the preseason, against some good D-lines, the starting O-line gave Favre a ton of time, with only 5 blocking - that was a huge improvement from last year. Run blocking still needs refinement - but as long as we can take our time on drives (and a pass completed for 5 yards is just as good as a 5 yard run), we can be okay without a stellar run game.

Him8123
09-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Laughing at D Hester is not a smart thing to do, how many did he run back for TD's against your Pack? Bernard is the guy, harolded(not by me) as one of the best WR in the game at this time. MM is still one of the best possesion WR in the game. Clark/Olson are two of the best TE in the game right now.

Week 1
NO AVG TD LG Hester got one TD, admitted he is good but
D. Hester 5 20 1 84 dont go off like he had 12
B. Berrian 1 49 1 49 1st game wow berrian caught 1 pass

Week 17
B. Berrian 1 17 0 17 oh wow oe pass again to berrian was it because
D. Hester 4 19 0 0 rexy was getting intercepted???
4 for 19 for hester great he got 5 yards a carry

way to do your research homo. I could tolerate guys like you if you weren`t such morons who spew idiotic crap just to get a reaction when you know nothing about your own team. let alone ours.

BallHawk
09-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Bernard is the guy, harolded(not by me) as one of the best WR in the game at this time. MM is still one of the best possesion WR in the game. Clark/Olson are two of the best TE in the game right now.

Says who? WSCR?

Bernard Berrian one of the best WRs in the game? Are you kidding me? He had 50 catches for 6 TDs last year. By your standards, if Jennings wouldn't of got hurt, he too would of been one of the best in the game.

MM is a good receiver, but not one of the best, regardless of the category.

Can we at least wait until Olsen plays a game to declare him the next Tony Gonzalez?

Him8123
09-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Bearman can`t even spell his own players names right. It`s Olsen. not Olson. You`re such a f@ing idiot

BEARMAN
09-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Glad I could help, nothing like stiring the pot in the enemies camp, ... :twisted:

Ballboy
09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Your OL is at best ordinary, lord Favre runs for his life more plays then not. Why do you think he throws so many INT's, cos he has all the time in the world back there? Me thinks not.

Your DB's have not turned in passing grades in the last two seasons. The only bright spot is your LR core, they are just ok.

Lord farves arm best be ready, cos with no/little run game he will be passing(attempting to anyway) alot.

I see no change in your SP team play this season.

Da BEARS aquired a good DL from Philly, got Dusty back from injury last season, and drafted a couple promising DL this year. Da BEARS DL will be fine, helping Mr. Urlacher win DPY, again.

Good Rex and/or Bad Rex, Da BEARS will win with what every Rex shows up, with our outstanding "D", or with Sp Teams, or with Rex throwing TD's, what ever it takes to win.

Splitting with Da BEARS is the least of your worries, BTW, the first one means the most, the second game will mean little to Da BEARS as they will have wrapped up all they can by then.

Compairing the pack to Da BEARS is like compaireing a pea shooter to a 155 howitzer. Another round of kool-aid if you please.

OK.....Brett threw 18 ints last year, Grossman 20 - Guess your OL sucks worse than the Packers. Lets not mention that the Packers allowed 24 sacks last year, Bears 25.

Woodson was 2nd in the NFL in Ints with 8, Tillman was closest with only 5.

Was Dusty great in regular season games before he got hurt.....I didn't think so!!!

How has Gould been doing this pre-season.....that is what I thought, no comment.

Again, who is drinking what around here!!!!

MadtownPacker
09-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Personally, I think we are going to see a lot of 3 - 4 receiver sets - where the average gain is 3 - 5 yards. From the preseason, against some good D-lines, the starting O-line gave Favre a ton of time, with only 5 blocking - that was a huge improvement from last year. Run blocking still needs refinement - but as long as we can take our time on drives (and a pass completed for 5 yards is just as good as a 5 yard run), we can be okay without a stellar run game.This is what I see happening too. Will it work is the only question. I think it will move the ball but I'm not so sure if the OL will perform the same in live action.

RIPackerFan
09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
The Philly game will be interesting.

From what I am reading - their D-line is probably its weakest in the past few years. Thus, they will be doing a ton of blitzing (like usual) - it will be a test of the line, along with the RBs picking up the blitz.

If we can block it effectively - I think Favre will have a field day - but if not, I am expecting a long day.

Personally, I feel more confident going into the game this year, than last.

RashanGary
09-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I think Jennings is going to have a huge game. I could see Favre hitting Jennnigs deep if they blitz and our guys pick it up. Also, when they blitz, I could see Jennings taking something short to the house.

Rastak
09-04-2007, 09:15 PM
The Philly game will be interesting.

From what I am reading - their D-line is probably its weakest in the past few years. Thus, they will be doing a ton of blitzing (like usual) - it will be a test of the line, along with the RBs picking up the blitz.

If we can block it effectively - I think Favre will have a field day - but if not, I am expecting a long day.

Personally, I feel more confident going into the game this year, than last.

Word is their run defense was horrible at the end of the year and not all that great this preseason.

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Most "experts" do not have the time to truly evaluate every team - so they poach ideas from other "experts" - basically its a cycle that eats itself. The first person writes something - and then the rest follow.

And whats the easiest thing to write about - FA signings and big splash acquisitions. Most "experts" big picks are those teams that made a big splash (or did well last year).

Understanding depth - and improving through maturity - is something most experts can't see because they don't know enough about the team to do so.

Well said. It's why fans shouldn't get bent out of shape when their draft picks are called reaches and their team is dissed. Really. It doesn't matter. The experts that think "outside of the box" are few and far between.

Rastak
09-04-2007, 09:25 PM

Well said. It's why fans shouldn't get bent out of shape when their draft picks are called reaches and their team is dissed. Really. It doesn't matter. The experts that think "outside of the box" are few and far between.

I found one who said the Vikings were an up and coming team...is that out of the box?

:o

vince
09-04-2007, 09:34 PM

I found one who said the Vikings were an up and coming team...is that out of the box?

That guy is so far outside of the box he can no longer find it.

MadtownPacker
09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Personally, I feel more confident going into the game this year, than last.Seems like the team does too. Have to win this game or all the good buzz will go down the toilet. Home field advantage, winning streak, playoff hopes.

MJZiggy
09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Personally, I feel more confident going into the game this year, than last.Seems like the team does too. Have to win this game or all the good buzz will go down the toilet. Home field advantage, winning streak, playoff hopes.

What are we Michigan here? It's an important game but I wouldn't hinge the whole season on it...especially not playoff hopes. How many times have the Colts blown their opener?

oregonpackfan
09-04-2007, 10:44 PM

What are we Michigan here? It's an important game but I wouldn't hinge the whole season on it...especially not playoff hopes. How many times have the Colts blown their opener?

Good point, MJ.

Whatever happens in the Eagles game, good or bad, we have to remember it is just the 1st game of a 16 game season.

Historically, the Packers have finished strong in December. If the Packers can have even a fair start and gradually improve as the season progresses, perhaps they will continue their upward improvement towards the season's end.

MadtownPacker
09-04-2007, 10:51 PM
What are we Michigan here? It's an important game but I wouldn't hinge the whole season on it...especially not playoff hopes. How many times have the Colts blown their opener?Well didnt blow it last season and they won the superbowl.

MJZiggy
09-04-2007, 10:54 PM
And before that Pittsburgh squeaked in and won it...weren't they a wild card that year?

Lurker64
09-04-2007, 11:16 PM

Really they're just a head coach, a quarterback, a right side of the OL, a cornerback, a tight end, and a couple of receivers away...

If Jackson pans out, though they could be on the upswing. I think conventional wisdom is that it's too soon for him, but we'll see.

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Everybody is looking for a perfect roster. There isn't a team in the NFC that doesn't have question marks. There isn't a team in the NFC that isn't relying on young guys (or pedestrian veterans). Most experts have these teams as the contenders in the NFC.

Carolina has no safeties and no TEs. Their TE depth chart looks worse than Green Bay. It's Jeff King, Dante Rosario, and Marcus Freeman. Their safety depth chart is so bare that they signed Marquand Manuel. Their starters are Chris Harris (a backup in Chicago who has been bad this preseason) and Deke Cooper.

New Orleans has a swiss cheese defense. They have one good cornerback (Mike McKenzie). They have a below average starter at LB (Mark Simoneau). They have a first year starter at S (Roman Harper).

Chicago has Rex Grossman starting at QB. They are counting on Cedric Benson to be a full-time RB. One of their starting safeties (Mike Brown) gets hurt every year. Their other starting safety (Adam Archuleta) was horrible in Washington the last two years.

Seattle has no depth at corner. They have a bunch of question marks at DT after Rocky Bernard. They have a below average starter at one safety spot (Brian Russell). Their OGs are weak. Their TE depth chart looks poor. They have one guy who is nearing his mid-30s in Marcus Pollard and two below average guys behind him.

Dallas lacks corner depth. They have one ordinary OG (Kyle Kosier) and the other is Leonard Davis--who bombed out in Arizona.

Philadelphia has injury concerns all over their roster: McNabb, Westbrook, L.J. Smith, Jevon Kearse. They are also relying on a lot of young guys who haven't done it before: Reggie Brown as a #1 WR, Kevin Curtis as a #2 WR, Brodrick Bunkley at DT, Omar Gaither and Chris Gocong at LB.

San Francisco is weak on the DL. Tully Banta-Cain is a starting LB. Mark Roman is a starting S. They have question marks on the OL. Arnaz Battle starts at WR for them.

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2007, 09:28 AM
No question, defense is strength
By Pete Dougherty

More than a few times during training camp, coach Mike McCarthy referred to the defense as the "catalyst" for his Green Bay Packers.

It's clearly the strength of his team, but depending on how well the Packers can run the ball on offense, it might have to carry this club at times. The question is whether it will be a good defense or something better.

The Packers appear to have the makings of a defense that could land in the top 10 in the NFL in yards allowed and, more importantly, points. Last year, they finished 12th and tied for 25th, respectively, in those categories. But they finished with a strong push over the final four games — in part fueled by Cullen Jenkins replacing Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila as the starting right defensive end — that has the team thinking big.

"I'd be disappointed if we're not a top 10-type defense," said Kurt Schottenheimer, the Packers' defensive backs coach.

Defensive tackle Corey Williams went so far as to say the Packers' defense can finish in the top five in the NFL in both categories. Last year, four teams accomplished that: Baltimore (first in yards, first in points), Chicago (fifth and third), Jacksonville (second and fourth) and Miami (fourth and fifth).

"Our defense feels that, too," Williams said. "We're ready. We're going to surprise a lot of people."

The Packers return the starters from last year that moved the unit from 29th to 12th in yards allowed in the final four games, with one change: Atari Bigby replacing Marquand Manuel as a starting safety.

The defense is the ascending part of the Packers' roster, with second-year pro A.J. Hawk a potential emerging Pro Bowler at weak-side linebacker; fifth-year pro Nick Barnett coming off his best training camp at middle linebacker; a sound veteran starting cornerback duo in Charles Woodson and Al Harris; and a deep and young defensive line that includes 27-year-old Aaron Kampman coming off a Pro Bowl season and Jenkins, 26, coming off a training camp that suggested his role in the Packers' improvement late last season was no mirage.

The No. 1 defense didn't play much together in the preseason — Woodson and Harris played sparingly in the first three preseason games and sat out the finale, for instance. But in 10 series with the starters almost completely intact in those exhibition games, they gave up only three points and scored one touchdown on a fumble return by Barnett.

It must be noted, however, the starters faced a Seattle team playing without quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and left tackle Walter Jones, who are two of their three best players, and Jacksonville played with quarterback Byron Leftwich, whom it cut at the end of training camp.

Nevertheless, three points is three points, and McCarthy proclaimed training camp a success for a defense in its second season working for defensive coordinator Bob Sanders.

"The biggest thing we were looking for, and I think we accomplished it, was consistency and clear communication," McCarthy said. "I thought they illustrated that throughout training camp — they were very consistent. There was not too many days where you came off the field and felt like they didn't have a very good day of work. Also, I thought they put together four good games. That was something coming off the offseason we wanted to improve on, and we clearly did.

"We're talented, we have playmaking ability on our defensive side of the ball (and) we're playing with a lot of confidence, a lot of energy."

The Packers are counting on reducing the number of coverage errors by defensive backs and linebackers that plagued them early last season in losses to Chicago, New Orleans, Detroit and St. Louis. Manuel was by no means the only culprit in making major mistakes, but he had more than his share, which especially was surprising because he was signed as a free agent last year to be the quarterback of the secondary. He ended up perhaps trying to do too much and was the defense's weak link.

Bigby is stronger and more athletic than Manuel, though the second-year pro has only two snaps of regular-season defensive experience in the NFL, in last year's finale against Chicago.

Still, with only one new player in a starting lineup that has worked in Sanders' scheme for 1½ years, the defense will have no excuses for excessive communication and alignment errors in his aggressive, bump-and-run-oriented coverage scheme.

"We're light-years beyond (last season's early mistakes)," Schottenheimer said. "A year ago, we got most of that solved. But beyond that, people are going to challenge you every chance they get. They're going to try to put pressure on, they're going to go after some problem. If the cornerback doesn't have the right leverage, the safety doesn't have the right leverage, some way they'll attack it. People are going to play-action pass us. They'll be very aggressive how they're going to play our secondary."

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Favre's effectiveness will make or break team
By Mike Vandermause

The 2007 Green Bay Packers come in all shapes and sizes. They range from the oldest (Rob Davis, 38) to youngest (Brandon Jackson, 21); from heaviest (Ryan Pickett, 322 pounds) to lightest (Tramon Williams, 182); from tallest (Bubba Franks, 6-foot-6) to shortest (Jackson, Vernand Morency, DeShawn Wynn, all 5-10).

But it takes more than numbers to determine who has the most value. Here's a ranking of all 53 Packers, from best to worst, based on individual talent, position importance and other intangibles:

1 — Brett Favre, QB

Everything revolves around the still-talented quarterback. His effectiveness will make or break the season.

2 — A.J. Hawk, LB

Capable of emerging as a dominant player, which could push the defense from good to great.

3 — Aaron Kampman, DE

Pro Bowl status was well-deserved last season, and he's still on the rise.

4 — Donald Driver, WR

With career highs for catches (92) and yards (1,295) last season, Driver, 32, is getting better with age.

5 — Cullen Jenkins, DL

The defense was exemplary when Jenkins was inserted into the starting lineup in the final month of 2006. He picked up in training camp where he left off last year.

6 — Nick Barnett, LB

Beginning his fifth year as a starter, Barnett is often taken for granted in the middle of the defense. Make no mistake: He is earning every penny of his six-year, $35 million contract extension.

7 — Al Harris, CB

Acquiring Harris for a second-round draft pick in 2003 will go down as one of former GM and coach Mike Sherman's better moves. Harris, 32, is entering his 10th NFL season but showing no signs of slowing down.

8 — Charles Woodson, CB

Don't accuse Packers GM Ted Thompson of being afraid to spend money in free agency. He opened the vault last year to sign Woodson, who continues to complete one of the best starting cornerback tandems in the league.

9-13 — The offensive line

These five must work together to master the zone-blocking scheme and protect Favre. Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Scott Wells, Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz — listed in order of importance — are capable of elevating a pedestrian running back corps, which would take pressure off the passing game.

14 — Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, DE

He lost his starting job last season, but he hasn't lost his impact. A pass-rushing specialist remains a hot commodity, which is why the Packers didn't ask KGB to take a pay cut from his $5 million salary.

15 — Ryan Pickett, DT

Another example of a Thompson 2006 free-agent pickup that blossomed into a solid starter.

16 — Corey Williams, DL

Worth heightened by ability to play tackle and end.

17 — James Jones, WR

Too high a ranking for the No. 3 receiver? Not for this big rookie (6-1, 207), who was a preseason star and could give opposing defenses fits.

18 — Nick Collins, S

Has started every game since being drafted in the second round in 2005, but can he become a special player?

19 — Brady Poppinga, LB

Must upgrade his coverage skills, but no one came close to challenging for his job.

20 — Atari Bigby, S

He replaces a big hole on defense where Marquand Manuel used to line up. Stellar play from this position could make a huge difference.

21 — Greg Jennings, WR

A return to his pre-injury form of 2006 will give the offense a much-needed boost.

22 — Brandon Jackson, RB

Can he stay healthy? Can he succeed as a rookie? Can he pass-block? There are questions galore for every running back on the roster.

23 — Mason Crosby, K

This might be high for a kicker, but the Packers will covet every point they can get, and Crosby could serve as a long-range weapon.

24 — Jarrett Bush, CB

The nickel cornerback plays around 50 percent of the defensive snaps, making this position extremely important.

25 — Will Blackmon, CB

He is slated for duty as the dime cornerback, although he might give Bush a run for his job. Blackmon also has been tabbed as the primary kick returner, assuming his hand injury doesn't hold him back.

26 — Vernand Morency, RB

Missed all of training camp with a knee injury and presumably won't be 100 percent for a while. Proved capable as a change-of-pace back last season, but could supplant Jackson as the starter.

27 – Johnny Jolly, DT

Has made great strides since being selected in the sixth round last year. If his progress continues, could move up much higher.

28 — Donald Lee, TE

He was the best of a mediocre group during training camp ,and needs to step it up after a 10-catch season.

29 — Bubba Franks, TE

His Pro Bowl days are long gone, but he flashed late in camp.

30 — Colin Cole, DT

Although he's only rated the seventh-best defensive lineman, the 315-pounder will take up space and be a factor.

31 — Jon Ryan, P

Field position will be key in low-scoring games, meaning the Packers desperately need consistency out of their punter.

32 — Korey Hall, FB

It's quite a jump from playing linebacker in college last season to becoming a starting NFL fullback. Hall is a work in progress.

33 — Junius Coston, OL

His versatility adds to his value as the top backup lineman.

34 — Tracy White, LB

He's all over the field on special teams. That ability, more than his backup linebacker skills, earned him a job.

35 — Aaron Rodgers, QB

His improvement in the preseason was noticeable, which lowered the blood pressure of anyone fearing a Favre injury.

36 — Rob Davis, LS

If he continues to be taken for granted as a snapper, he's doing his job well.

37 — Michael Montgomery, DE

A knee injury will sideline him for a month and lowered his stock. He should climb the charts once he's well.

38 — Ruvell Martin, WR

He's tall enough at 6-4 to steal passes away from DBs in four-receiver sets.

39 — Frank Walker, CB

Came on strong late in camp and could move up the ranks.

40 — Justin Harrell, DT

Slow start likely will keep him inactive for the opener. Has shown more potential than production.

41 — Tony Moll, OL

Injuries have slowed his progress after he proved to be a capable starter last season.

42 — Ryan Grant, RB

He must possess talent if Ted Thompson was willing to trade a draft pick to get him.

43 — Jason Hunter, DE

If he suits up, it will be to play special teams.

44 — Aaron Rouse, S

Third-round pick needs time to develop.

45 — Charlie Peprah, S

Won't see much action in the secondary.

46 — Allen Barbre, OL

Will blend into the woodwork on the bench as a rookie.

47 — Daniel Muir, DL

Yet another big body on a deep defensive line.

48 — Tony Palmer, OL

Earned spot on the roster despite injury problems in camp.

49 — DeShawn Wynn, RB

Injury-riddled rookie played in just one preseason game and has a long way to go.

50 — Tramon Williams, CB

Return ability, and injuries to others, could get him activated.

51 — Desmond Bishop, LB

Outplayed the hobbled Abdul Hodge in camp.

52 — Carlyle Holiday, WR

Biggest claim to fame is his role as the emergency third quarterback.

53 — John Kuhn, FB

He's a backup at the most obscure position in the NFL.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2007, 09:50 AM
REasonable list.

I have only a tiny quibble: There is ZERO evidence to rate Jackson more valuable than Morency.

When 6 of your top 8 players are on one side of the ball, your team is out of balance. But guess we knew that.

Some players that could move up the list by end of season:
James Jones, Korey Hall, Allen Barbre, Will Blackmon

cpk1994
09-05-2007, 10:09 AM
You do realize that Nick Bakay is a humorist, don't you? Remember, this guy is best known for being the voice of Salem the Cat in "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" and humorus use of the betting lines as a recurring piece on ESPN a couple of seasons ago. I would't take him to seriously.

Guiness
09-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Wow Bearman - you can spew the rhetoric with the best of them, can't you?

I think the most important thing for the Bears this season will be whether Grossman grows in his role, regresses, or gets hurt. This, more than anything will determine your success.

BUT, the most interesting thing to observe, without a doubt, will be Hester. One of the best receivers in the league? Hardly. I haven't read the responses to your post yet, but I highly doubt that comment was well received. I've seen a few writters say he's got the potential to be...but certainly not 'is'.

These guys tend to have a short shelf life. Remember Dante Hall? Fasttrack to the HOF? Where is he now? There are a couple of other guys like him...about the only exception I can think of, that was a dazzling returner for years, and played a position, is Deon. But he was a CB first, returner second.

Iron Mike
09-05-2007, 10:29 PM
You do realize that Nick Bakay is a humorist, don't you? Remember, this guy is best known for being the voice of Salem the Cat in "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" and humorus use of the betting lines as a recurring piece on ESPN a couple of seasons ago. I would't take him too seriously.

I prefer to think of him as Norbert Beaver in Nickolodeon's "The Angry Beavers."

http://www.skynet.ie/~ceason/cormac/stuff/angry_beavers.jpg