PDA

View Full Version : ROSS VERBA TO GREEN BAY? IT MAY ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

gbpackfan
05-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Packers | Verba trying to schedule a visit
Tue, 2 May 2006 19:51:24 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports free agent OT Ross Verba (Browns) is trying to schedule his first visit with his former team, the Green Bay Packers. Verba was out of football last year after buying out his contract and becoming a free agent. As previously noted, Verba is attempting a comeback for the 2006 season.

The wording is very interesting. Almost like Verba is the one who wants Green Bay, not the other way around. I say bring him in, what would it hurt to have a look see.

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 10:11 PM
It's an awfully big risk. Don't know if TT's willing to have anyone messing with the atmosphere he's trying to achieve and he just got rid of one headcase, why sign another?

BF4MVP
05-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Maybe we can bring John Michaels back too..

THE RETURN OF THE FIRST ROUND BUST LINEMEN!!!!

Anti-Polar Bear
05-02-2006, 10:16 PM
It's an awfully big risk. Don't know if TT's willing to have anyone messing with the atmosphere he's trying to achieve and he just got rid of one headcase, why sign another?

Suppose Verba is willing to play guard, then sign him immediately.

When you don't take a "big risk" you end up with players like Klemm and ODwyer. Lesson learned. To quote my favorite sports writer Norman Chad, pay the man, Shirley (in this instance, Thompson is Shirley).

Bretsky
05-02-2006, 10:19 PM

First off, I LOVE THE PIC; GREAT JOB.

But I have to disagree with ya on the busts. Michaels was a puke and a bust, but Verba was actaully a very good player while in Green Bay. He was just a me first selfish asshole. Not that well liked, holding out for more money, and when he left it was well understood he was going to highest of bidder regardless of where.

But when Ross Verba did leave GB first, he was a well above average OL.

Partial
05-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Wasn't he the guy they put in and all of a sudden the line started kicking ass in the super bowl years?

Guiness
05-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Verba started a couple of season's at LT. Don't know that I'd call that a bust.

Let him come out. There's no cost. If he acts like an ass, toss him out. What could be simpler?

KYPack
05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Wasn't he the guy they put in and all of a sudden the line started kicking ass in the super bowl years?

No.

He was a #1 pick in'97.

He was drafted to replace 1st rd bust John Michaels.

He was an effective left tackle, but eventually moved to guard. He got snotty about being a guard and went to Cleveland on bad terms here. I'd be shocked if TT picked him up.

He's 32 now, and has been training by lifting strippers and piles of chips in Las Vegas.

BF4MVP
05-02-2006, 10:39 PM

First off, I LOVE THE PIC; GREAT JOB.

But I have to disagree with ya on the busts. Michaels was a puke and a bust, but Verba was actaully a very good player while in Green Bay. He was just a me first selfish asshole. Not that well liked, holding out for more money, and when he left it was well understood he was going to highest of bidder regardless of where.

But when Ross Verba did leave GB first, he was a well above average OL.
Thanks for the compliment on the sig!

I guess I humbly stand corrected about Verba though..

ND72
05-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I will go out on a limb and say i feel pretty comfy with our OL right now...they aren't great...they are VERY YOUNG....time to coach the kids up and get them to produce.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Ted wouldn't be bringing him in if he wasn't serious about signing him. Structure the deal like Woodson's - obviously no where near the same amount. No signing bonus. Big first year salary. Lesser in years 2 and 3. Make sure we don't suffer if we have to cut him.

32 is not as old for OL as it is for a running back. And he's got low mileage on him now too because of the year off. He should be extremely healthy. Work him out thoroughly to determine if he's still got it and if he's been taking care of himself.

Were still desperate on the OL while we wait for our youngsters to develop. This signing could make a huge impact this year.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Structure the deal like Woodson's - obviously no where near the same amount. No signing bonus. Big first year salary.

You must be a big fan of the PFT Rumormill. I could be wrong and you could be right, but according the the PackersChatters.com Packers cap estimation, Woodson got a $5.5M signing bonus, $3.083 M in reachable incentives and 1 M base salary for this year.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2006, 11:10 PM
You must be a big fan of the PFT Rumormill. I could be wrong and you could be right, but according the the PackersChatters.com Packers cap estimation, Woodson got a $5.5M signing bonus, $3.083 M in reachable incentives and 1 M base salary for this year.

I think both sources are pretty suspect.

Deputy Nutz
05-02-2006, 11:14 PM

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports free agent OT Ross Verba (Browns) is trying to schedule his first visit with his former team, the Green Bay Packers. Verba was out of football last year after buying out his contract and becoming a free agent. As previously noted, Verba is attempting a comeback for the 2006 season.

The wording is very interesting. Almost like Verba is the one who wants Green Bay, not the other way around. I say bring him in, what would it hurt to have a look see.

I don't believe anything that comes out of this little peckerneck's mouth.

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks for catching that Nutz. We'll see if it's true if a real reporter writes it.

KYPack
05-03-2006, 07:35 AM

I don't believe anything that comes out of this little peckerneck's mouth.

Amen, Nutz.

ESPN has got to make a philosphical change if they want to become a credible news organization. Different Forum memebers and others have caught these guys in sensationalist lies so often, it ain't funny. Clayton is the the worst of a bunch of offenders at that place.

Merlin
05-03-2006, 08:03 AM
I think you should bring him in and see what he has left in the tank. He can play guard and he did block effectively for Favre's blindside in the past. If you get a season or two of good guard play out of him that would be great. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Favre would probably have more confidence in his line if Verba was in the lineup. Whether or not that would be false confidence is debatable.

Patler
05-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Verba was a decent player in Green Bay and Cleveland. I know nothing about his personality, except what is written in the paper. If he is a jerk, I suspect with a lockeroom of 60 pro athletes he wouldn't be the only one.

There was no real controversy when he left, he played out his contract and left for more money and to play tackle (which gave him the more money). The Packers had Clifton and Tauscher, so Verba was viewed as a guard in GB. As I recall, GB didn't make much of an effort to resign him, just as a few years earlier they had not offered big money to Taylor and then Timmerman.

If he is willing to play guard, what does it hurt to bring him in and see what he has, and how he will act?

MJZiggy
05-03-2006, 08:29 AM
You could use an avatar, Shamrock...

Tony Oday
05-03-2006, 10:03 AM
I've met Verba many times. He married one of the girls I went to school with. He is a nice guy and fricken HUGE!!!

He is cocky but what athlete isnt to some degree. I would think he would love to be in GB since his kids live in Minnesota he could see them more. Plus he took a hit on the divorce ;)

MadtownPacker
05-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Who cares about his personal life. As long as it doesnt spill into the locker its fine. Maybe he ate some humble pie when he didnt play last year. Sign him if a fair deal can be made.

Guiness
05-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Who cares about his personal life. As long as it doesnt spill into the locker its fine. Maybe he ate some humble pie when he didnt play last year. Sign him if a fair deal can be made.

Somewhat agree on the personal life thing, as long as it's just that - personal life. What I didn't like is the rumours that he is an absolute prick in the dressing room, i.e. with his own teamates. If that true, maybe it's not such a good idea.

That part should be easy for management to sort out. There's enough guys around that were here before he left - just ask them.

Patler
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM
That part should be easy for management to sort out. There's enough guys around that were here before he left - just ask them.

There's plenty enough to ask, but I checked just for the heck of it. Verba was in GB through the 2000 season. Of 61 players that were rostered by GB at one time in 2000 (Verba's last year) the only ones left on the roster in 2006 after 5 intervening seasons are:

Clifton
Davis
Driver
Favre
Franks
KGB
Green
Henderson
Tauscher

9 out of 61. You don't realize how much turnover there is in the NFL until you look at something like this.

Guiness
05-03-2006, 12:27 PM
You're right, there's not a lot of guys left. However, the ones that are left are the ones that he'd have to interact with.

I was thinking of is first Clifton and Tauscher, then Green and Franks.

Normally, I don't think this is neccessary or warranted. However, this is a bit of an odd situation, and I think their opinions matter.