PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Rob Demovsky

Him8123
09-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Forum Administrator
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:08 am Post subject: Chat with Rob Demovsky Tuesday, Sept. 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press-Gazette reporter Rob Demovsky will chat with PackersNews.com readers from 6 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2007.

Click on "postreply" to submit a question. The chat is free, but you must be a registered user to submit questions.

NOTE: Depending on volume of questions, not all may be answered.

Back to top Report Abuse

Newcastle22

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:18 am Post subject: RB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and thanks for the chat. I was wondering if there is any chance that the Packers may give a look at Kevin Barlow? If I am not mistaken he was just released by the Steelers. If not him is there any word on any other RB that they may take a look at? Is Corey Dillon definitely retired?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Good evening, everyone. Let's get started. The Packers didn't strongly consider signing Barlow, and if I'm not mistaken he remains unsigned. From what I've heard about Corey Dillon, he hasn't exactly kept himself in football shape, so yeah, sounds like he's very much retired.

Back to top Report Abuse

CSDPackerfan

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:40 pm Post subject: Is it to late

Rob, Thanks for taking my question.

The TE's are a suspect group and I was wondering if it's really a good idea to bring in a vetern TE like Wiggins to compete for a spot or if it's a better idea to take the risk that Bubba and Donald will have a productive year?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Like Barlow, Wiggins remains out of football after being cut by Jacksonville. I believe he sustained a concussion late in the preseason, too, so that could be a concern. I would be shocked if the Packers went more than a couple of weeks with only two tight ends on their roster if for no other reason than that's a huge workload for Franks and Lee.

Back to top Report Abuse

CSDPackerfan

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:47 pm Post subject: Would you take a chance?

Rob,
Should TT consider trading for Priest Holmes to improve the running game or is there another running back that might be able to energize a group of backs that haven't shown a great deal in the preseason?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Holmes went on the NFL's reserve/non-football injury list and won't be able to play for a while. It would be a huge risk to give up anything for him. He's 33 years old. He's been out of football for almost two years, and he had a major injury that knocked him out a couple of years back.

Back to top Report Abuse

timkolb

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:22 pm Post subject: Chris Chambers???

I heard Chris Chambers may be available from the 'fins in a trade. Any rumors floating about in GB about getting the former Badger? The Pack should have taken him over Ferguson.

ROB DEMOVSKY: From what I can tell, the Packers like their receiver group. They wouldn't want to take any reps away from Jennings or Jones, and as long as Driver's foot sprain is OK, that's three top receivers there. They also like what Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday give them, including what they do on special teams.

Back to top Report Abuse

Yoop

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:36 pm Post subject:

What cut from the team surprised you most, and what player making the team surprised you most.

ROB DEMOVSKY: I can't really say there was a player cut that suprised me, however, I was a bit suprised that cornerback Tramon Williams made it. I would think as the 11th defensive back, he would be first to go if there's another roster move made at, say, tight end.

Back to top Report Abuse

aevansen

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:40 pm Post subject: joke of a running game

Hi Rob-
This is being submitted during the game Thursday, so by chat time I pray that something has changed in our running game, but the more this preseason progresses the more I'm seriously questioning Ted Thompson's lack of any attempt to acquire an NFL caliber running back. We've got a playoff-caliber defense, two solid quarterbacks and a decent receiver corps. This batch of mediocre, injury-prone backs is a killer. Just awful. Is it a bad enough situation that the team will have a real tough time winning games, which could ultimately cost Thompson his job? He's done a great job on our defense, but every other team in the league has a running back for crying out loud. The regular season is upon us, and the Eagles, Chargers, Bears, Vikings, and Cowboys must be salivating!!

ROB DEMOVSKY: I have to wonder if they'll be able to run the ball, that's for sure. It's tough to win in the NFL without a running game, but not impossible. I looked this up the other day: eight of the 12 playoff teams ranked in the top 15 in the league in rushing yards per game last season, but only three were in the top 10. The Ravens, for example, were 25th in the league in rushing offense, but they had a remarkable defense.

Back to top Report Abuse

aevansen

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:21 am Post subject: AJ Hawk

Hi Rob-
While Nick Barnett has been all over the field this preseason, I haven't heard Hawk's name called very often. Does he look like he's made strides from last year? I realize he's the least of our worries, I just want him to dominate! On a side note, it looks like Thompson made the right call when choosing between Hawk and Vernon Davis. Despite our lack of offensive playmakers, every time I read a snippet about Davis he comes across as a complete idiot in the T.O. mold. He was booed last night for mimicking Merriman's stupid dance after a catch. I'm so glad we've got a guy who's all football.

ROB DEMOVSKY: Hawk flashed a lot in practice early in training camp and then leveled off a bit, but I don't think it's any cause for concern. Hawk seems like one of those guys who's rarely going to screw up and is going to keep getting better with age.

Back to top Report Abuse

Remerman2007

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:27 pm Post subject: Backs vs O-Line

Rob, thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. I keep hearing in various reports from MM and TT that the running game will improve. That may be so, but who has to improve? Is it he backs or the O-line? When watching these games, I don't see anything that makes me think we can have a good running game. The O-line can't seem to open holes or even creases, and the backs seem hesitant in all phases. Who do you think needs to improve the most the O-line or the backs, or is it both? Also, do you think the receiving core in Driver, Jennings and Jones can have an effect on the run game by requiring more coverage thus taking men out of the box? Thanks. GO PACK!!

ROB DEMOVSKY: That's a good question. I think you have a good running game with a mediocre back and a great offensive line. I don't think it works the other way, meaning a great back with a mediocre line. Certainly, they're going to need one of the young running backs to emerge, but the onus really is on the offensive line to create running room, especially in the zone blocking scheme.

Back to top Report Abuse

Squirt

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:48 pm Post subject: Taking another look -

Looking at a shot of Favre in Super Bowl XXXI yesterday, and then in last 2 games (Jags & Titans). Seems to me he looks better this year than in many years. He of course had the strength of youth in SB 31, but nothing much beyond that in terms of physical conditioning. Some years, he had a lot of heaviness around his face, and the start of a belly. These days, he looks tough, conditioned to the hilt and ready to race, like a pedigreed grayhound. Actually way stronger-looking than when he was young. Hard to believe he's been playing for 17 years -

The overall Packers' "look" has changed from time to time, some years many big strong guys, some years just sloppy fat guys (the kind whose best blocking technique would look to be belly-bumping, and a description of anyone running would have to include the word, "lumbering"), to now, when the look of the team is really athletic - many of them look sleeker, really strong.

I know they're supposed to stay in shape by themselves during off-season, then during camp, but am wondering HERE IT IS - THE QUESTION!! - How regimented is strength and conditioning once the season starts? The published emphasis is, understandably, on injury rehab. Do coaches stick their noses in and require such and such, or is it just assumed that once a player's target weight/condition is reached, they will do what it takes to stay that way? What about when you run into lazy, recalcitrant, or the-rules-don't pertain-to me players? Do they work out on days off? On practice days?

Or maybe no one's in really great shape - they're all just 17 years old!

ROB DEMOVSKY: I don't know their exact workout schedule during the season, but I believe they have designated days in which they lift and work with the strength and conditioning coaches. They also have weekly weigh ins, so it's easy to tell if a player has been slacking in that area.

Back to top Report Abuse

Squirt

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:55 pm Post subject: Speedy Gonzales

Doesn't Aaron Rouse have to do more than just be fast? to justify being on the roster? I never see any mention of his having any other skills at all - like fast and has good hands, or fast and aggressive, or fast and never quits. If all a pro team needs is "fast" all by itself, hells bells, I might give it a shot!

ROB DEMOVSKY: Rouse is a bit of a freak in terms of his size (6-4, 223 pounds). He doesn't move as fluidly as you'd like for a safety, and it would appear that he's still figuring out how to play the position, especially at the NFL level. He really didn't get that much of a shot to play with the starters or even the No. 2 defense during camp, so his spot on the roster is based on potential. I don't think we'll truly know if Rouse can do those things you ask about until maybe next summer at the earliest.

Back to top Report Abuse

oldman

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:03 pm Post subject: Fish or Cut Bait!

Rob....well here it is....the question you have been waiting for. What will be the Pack's record this year? You pick it!

5-11
6-10
7-9
8-8
9-7
10-6
11-5

Now don't you weezle out of a prediction. You have seen more of the team by far than any of us fans. So....what do you think?

ROB DEMOVSKY: I went with 8-8 for my "official" pick for our season preview tab, which comes out in tomorrow's Green Bay Press-Gazette and online at Packersnews.com. You can check those out to see my explanation.

Back to top Report Abuse

nitschkerocks

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:41 pm Post subject: Koren Robinson

What do you hear about Koren Robinson these days?
Is he in football shape? What are the chances the league
will re-instate him? If re-instated, and he rejoins the Packers,
do you think he will have any kind of impact on the offense?
Thanks

ROB DEMOVSKY: It seems like not a week goes by without a Koren Robinson question coming in. I know this summer he was working out at a local training center, but that's all I know. I can't imagine him having a major impact perhaps because at best he'll be the No. 4 receiver. His knee problems might limit him as a return man, too.

Back to top Report Abuse

Danimalk82

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:11 pm Post subject: Justin Harrell

Probably one of the biggest question marks on the Packers roster is our 1st round pick Justin Harrel. People wondered why Thompson took him at 16, frankly I said to myself Ted has a pretty good track record when it comes to first round picks (AJ Hawk, Shaun Alexander, Steve Hutchinson, etc.). Justin has been criticized for being sluggish, slow, and losing some battles to guys who don't even start. There is no doubt he is going to have to work really hard to where he needs to get to be a force on our line. How do you feel about his potential? (taking into account his work ethic, understanding of the game, size, and athletic ability).

ROB DEMOVSKY: It's a little surprising to me that a first-round pick didn't jump out more than Harrell did this summer. I will say this about Harrell, he's a powerful, powerful man. Even in the one-on-one reps that he didn't win, he almost always got a good push. Other than that, though, I didn't see much.

Back to top Report Abuse

raddsnype

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:34 pm Post subject:

I was wondering what the kickers do in a practice. Practice usually lasts 2 to 3 hours, and they can't be kicking the whole time. Do they do drills with the other positions like pursuit or anything?

ROB DEMOVSKY: During the regular season, the kickers do go inside (when practice is outside) or up to the stadium to do some kicking on their own. There are a handful of special teams periods so they're on the field for that. At times, they're thrown on the defensive "look" team or scout team at safety or cornerback when those drills are at half speed.

PackRuss

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:50 pm Post subject: New Running Back

Hi Rob,
What do you know of this new running back, Grant, they picked up from the Giants? I see last year, on IR because of hand injury from a nightclub incident. I can't believe there weren't other prospects available via trade or the waiver wire? What did this guy do in college? (ND..ugh!) I don't know this running game is scaring me, and this looks like a little bit of duct tape. What is your opinion on the running game in general. The blocking just not crisp yet? I know they are dinged up, but I sure would have like Ahman for one more year.
-Russ

ROB DEMOVSKY: Having Green for another year just wasn't possible because he wanted multiple years and big money. I can't say I would have paid him like the Texans did. As for Grant, he's the tallest back, at 6-1, on the roster, but watching him in practice he looks a little stiff. He's never played in an NFL regular-season game, so he's a huge unknown. Grant was a 1,000-yard rusher as a sophomore at Notre Dame.

Back to top Report Abuse

Squirt

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:09 pm Post subject: One Question - Two Situations

(1) IS THIS A GOOD IDEA? Vinny Testaverde has been released by the Pats. We need a third quarterback. If memory serves, Ol' Vinny has had some nice play in last few years, hasn't he? Would give Ol' Brett a playmate of the same age...

(2) IS THIS A GOOD IDEA? I poked around to find out stuff on Grant. Wasn't a lot there. On the surface, it seems we've given up a 6th round pick (per some area newspaper I saw) after first offering either of two terrific kickers who weren't requested. Wondering if Rayner knew that he was the fish on the plate beforehand, and agreed to it. I guess team can do what they want, but it seems kind of a shabby exit for a guy that busted his butt with very good results, all Spring & Summer. Also, why on earth would TT offer the kickers before offering a late-round pick? And a 6th round pick is too high for an undrafted FA RB with a grand total of one year's experience (esp. one who's been off for the last entire year with a hand injury incurred in a bar). He had a fairly good preseason, but is that enough? And if Rayner was to be used as cannon fodder anyway, given the quality of his work, why wouldn't TT have saved him for a more desirable player, RB or other? Several of the players who were cut would have had marketable skills for a trade.

Appreciate opportunity to plumb the depths of your football knowledge. If we didn't have a chance like this, some of us would probably never get any sleep at all -

ROB DEMOVSKY: I would argue that teams don't really need a third quarterback. If your starter and your backup are hurt in the same game, there's probably not a No. 3 QB in the league who can win you the game. If you need a quarterback during the week, you can always sign a guy like Testaverde in a pinch.
As for the Grant trade, I believe it's correct that Thompson first offered Rayner to the Giants. In fact, there was a report last week out of New York, that Thompson had been shopping both of his kickers. I don't think Rayner was treated shabbily. That's the nature of this business. I do agree that giving up a sixth-round pick for Grant seems a bit high.

Back to top Report Abuse

lou3000

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:02 pm Post subject: depth

It seems like the team is really lacking at RB and TE, but has deep young talent everywhere else, plus has no major free agents for a couple more years. Is that your assessment of the roster?

ROB DEMOVSKY: That's accurate. I still wonder if there are any or enough playmakers on offense.

Back to top Report Abuse

jneuhaus

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:42 pm Post subject: I like this team....

But what the heck are we doing not putting in a claim on Pittman? Does he not know the zone blocking scheme? Granted, we may not have gotten him due to the tiebreaker... but why not have tried?

Also, who fills in as the third TE and who do we drop when we get him?

I hear Birdine is well-liked. Did he get picked up? Why did we keep Muir over Birdine?

Anything else out there on the waiver wires for RB, TE, LB?

Will Havner be signed by someone off the practice squad?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Not sure why they didn't put in a claim on Pittman, but the Rams ended up getting him on waivers. One of the fullbacks can block like an extra tight end or they could use a sixth lineman but there's not another pass-catching option. I would think cornerback Tramon Williams would be the first cut if a roster move is made before there are any injuris. Havner hasn't been signed by anyone else yet so he's still on the practice squad.

Back to top Report Abuse

david39

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:31 pm Post subject: running backs

I see tampa bay cut rb kenneth darby out of alabama. would the packers consider picking him up? Also why wasn't birdine picked back up for the practice squad, since montgomery is hurt and may go on IR. thanks.

ROB DEMOVSKY: Darby re-signed to the Bucs practice squad. Birdine was offered a spot on the Packers practice squad but turned it down, presumably because he didn't think he'd ever get called up given the bulk of D-linemen on the roster. He was going to pursue spots with other teams but I haven't seen his name come across the transaction wire. Montgomery is on the roster for now. He probably is out at least another three weeks.

Back to top Report Abuse

adanders

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:02 am Post subject: Noah Herron

Hi Mike,

In reference to Noah Herron, i read an article that he may have been available after the by week in October. If that were the case why not put him on the PUP for 6 weeks instead of on the IR for the entire season? Thanks.

ROB DEMOVSKY: PUP is only for players who can't pass their physical at the start of camp. Once you pass your physical, the only options are staying on the roster, getting cut or going on IR.

Back to top Report Abuse

Packersandcheese21

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:54 am Post subject: No Better Backs??

Hey Rob,

Thank you for taking my question. Why did we give up a valuable draft pick for a RB that doesnt look to great? i think we could have picked someone up that was equally as good if not better than grant from the waivers, like pittman or someone else, but why give up a draft pick for this guy?? what do you think of him by what little we know of him? Also, i heard a rumor that Randy Moss may get cut or traded from the Pats, do you think the packers bit if he is cut? or do you think thompson backs off even though we all know brett wants him? and last but not least, if moss was added to our team in a trade or free agency if he was cut, what do you think the WR depth chart would look like? would it be Driver, Moss, Jennings, or Driver, Moss, Jones, or what? Thanks for your time.

ROB DEMOVSKY: Thompson obviously felt Grant was better than whatever he could get on waivers. Also there's no guarantee you can get the guy you want on waivers because it's prioritized by record, just like the draft. Looks like the Pats are keeping Moss, but it's an interesting question to kick around. I wondered what Thompson would do if Moss became available again. You would not want to retard the development of James Jones, so wouldn't Moss then be No. 4 on the depth chart.

Back to top Report Abuse

kimmer62

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:48 pm Post subject: Chat with Rob Demovsky

My question is of the Packers receivers who is the x receiver and who is the Y receiver and who is the Z receiver?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Good question, that stuff is confusing. In the base offense, Driver is the Z or the flanker and Jennings is th X or split end. Jones has worked mostly at the Z. When they go to three wides -- or what they call Zebra -- Driver moves into the slot position and Jones becomes the Z.

Back to top Report Abuse

kimmer62

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:50 pm Post subject: Chat with Rob Demovsky

With training camp over now and the season about to begin what to you was a pleasent surprise of training camp?

Back to top Report Abuse

Studmuffin

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:18 pm Post subject: Salary Cap

Rob - now that it appears the roster is pretty much set, what does TT plan to do with the 13 to 15 million left over in salary cap space? I believe Corey Williams is the only major UFA coming up in 2008 however they've already dumped a bunch of long term cash into the D-line.

I realize you don't spend money just to spend money but can you explain to me the rationale for leaving so much on the table? You consider GB has one of the youngest NFL rosters for two years running (equals low payroll) and you potentially factor in Favre retiring in 2008, GB stands to be sitting on a boatload of cash next year. Does our GM get a bonus for keeping a low payroll or something?

ROB DEMOVSKY: I can't imagine given all the money tied up in the D-line that they're going to give Corey Williams the money he wants. You can work on extensions for other player as they are warranted throughout the year. Also, there was ways to use cap space this year for not-likely-to-be-earned incentives that get you credit on the cap next year.

Back to top Report Abuse

Studmuffin

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:28 pm Post subject: RBs

Rob - Speculation question. If Morency and Jackson are healthy through training camp, does DeShawyn Wynn make the final 53 man roster?

What did they see in Wynn against TN that made him worth keeping or was making the roster basically a matter of the injuries? I realize he's been limited in training camp but he only started showing positive gains once the 2nd and 3rd stringers got put in for TN. He appeared to have "hands of stone" catching the ball. Has that been a problem in his limited training camp reps too?

The addition of RB from the NY Giants tells me they're not sold on Morency and Jackson. They knew Jackson would be back this week. Is there more to Morency's injury than they are letting on. Why would you give up a pick if the plan was just to get a waiver-wire RB that could be cut once Morency was healthy?

ROB DEMOVSKY: I was told that Wynn is on the roster to stay, and he won't get cut when the other backs are completely healthy. That sounds to me like he was going to make it regardless of their health situation.

Back to top Report Abuse

hansenpp

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:50 am Post subject:

What additional options do the Packers have for getting a third tight end? While I hope Bubba and Lee can do alright, I'd like to see a quality third tight end. Is there anyone that the Pack are looking at or should be look at?

Thanks

ROB DEMOVSKY: They signed two tight ends to their practice squad, rookie Clark Harris and former San Diego Charger and Cleveland Brown Ryan Krause. Harris did not have a good camp, so Krause could get the first crack at being elevated to the roster but he's going to need a few weeks to learn the offense. They could always bring back Zac Alcorn, too.

Back to top Report Abuse

aevansen

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:45 am Post subject: Mike Bell

Rumor has it Mike Bell, Denver's starter last season, is on the trading block. Obviously, Ted Thompson isn't interested in a guy with actual experience in the league. Denver's always looking for D line help, I'd think we could have offered one of our 12 defensive tackles for him instead of giving the Giants a draft pick for someone with no chance of helping the team. As Vince would have said, 'What the Heck is going ON OUT THERE?!?" Why do we continue to trot out 'potential' guys? Brett needs someone he can rely on back there, at the very least in blitz pickup. This is really frustrating and strange....

ROB DEMOVSKY: Bell would seemingly be a perfect fit here given his experience in the zone blocking scheme. For now, Denver is going to hold on to Bell and try to make him a fullback.

Back to top Report Abuse

paul from Sacramento

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:39 am Post subject: Backup Linebackers

Hi Rob,
I watched the Tenessee game and focused on Desmond Bishop. He overran the ball carrier, got caught in traffic and failed to shed blockers. IS this the best reserve linebacker we have? Do you think we could sustain an injury to a starter and survive? Are we sticking with the five we have or do you think we will srop a lineman and get another?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Considering there are only five LBs on the roster, it's either Bishop or White as the top backup. Bishop has played only in the middle, while White can play all three spots. I would be shocked if they didn't add a sixth LB within a few weeks.

Back to top Report Abuse

jedipackerfan

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:12 pm Post subject: Wow - some dumb questions on here

Hi Rob-

Can you believe all the stupid questions on here?
I'm so sick of all these Fantasy Football pseudo GM's
who think "name" backs... who were cut are worth anything.

Priest Holmes? Corey Dillon? they've got to be kidding.

We need a TE?
Bubba looked great this preseason as has D-Lee
because they werent wore out max protecting for
a rookie O-line. TE's will be very productive this year

Colledge said it best regarding run game

The pack ran all base package stuff and the defense could
telegraph every running play. NO WAY you can judge the
run game in preseason, especially how little we deployed it.

I like Bjacks cutback ability and still have faith in Mo.

Question, how has Nick Collins looked in camp? HE had an explosive
game against CHicago. Hope he watches that tape before philly game.

Hope the whole team does to remind themselves of how chemistry
and inspired play is ALL that matters.

thanks

ROB DEMOVSKY: This a big year for Collins. He needs to bounce back from a poor 2006 season. I thought he had a solid camp and few of the things he struggled with last season (tackling, deep coverage) were apparent this year, which is a good sign for him. The play of the safeties is going to be key to this defense. They're the biggest questions marks on that side of the ball. I think the subtraction of Manuel will help Collins.

PKRBKR1

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:54 pm Post subject: Caldwell

Rob,

Do you think picking up a veteran like Caldwell would help ease some concerns at WR?

It was nice to see some addition to the backfield but when will TT break down and broker a horse?

The Pack are two positions away from extending the season.

Unfortunatly it is RB and TE...

Brian
Elkhorn

ROB DEMOVSKY: I almost think they're past the point of adding another receiver like that, unless there's a major injury. Would you really play him ahead of Driver, Jennings and Jones?

Back to top Report Abuse

spencer4

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:32 pm Post subject:

1. What team do you think Rayner has the best chance going to.

2. What do you think the pack se in Ryan Grant. Cause they got to see somthing, Ted never likes giving up draft picks.

3. Any guess Based on age and the preseason on how many TD's and INT's favre will have.

Thanks

ROB DEMOVSKY: 1. I really thought the Giants were going to sign Rayner, but it didn't happen. Perhaps Kansas City?
2. I know they like Grant's size and strength.
3. Just a guess, but I'll say 22 TDs, 16 INTs

Back to top Report Abuse

mckeougg

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:41 pm Post subject: Ted's choice of running backs

Thanks for taking my question. Reading the Sunday morning articles, we were led to believe that Ted and his staff burned the midnight oil looking at film of waiver wire RB's. In the end, he only placed claims on Kuhn and a couple other fullbacks. Didn't they think anyone else out there was as good as Ryan Grant?

ROB DEMOVSKY: They put claims in on two tight ends and another running back, but chose only to take Kuhn. They obviously like Grant better than what was available or what they believed was going to be available.

Back to top Report Abuse

kimmer62

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:38 pm Post subject: Chat with Rob Demovsky

Mr. Demovsky my question is how is Atri Bigby doing in taking over Maquand Manuel's postion?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Looks like Bigby could be an upgrade. He's a better athlete, he moves and runs better. Still don't know if he can cover deep any better than Manuel.

Back to top Report Abuse

cecil

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:58 pm Post subject: Trades

Good evening Rob. Any way the Packers could swing a trade for Mike Bell or Chris Chambers. Bell knows the system, and there were rumors of the Dolphins wanting to trade Chambers. Any idea how serious they were?

ROB DEMOVSKY: I'm sure they're keeping their eye on the Bell situation in Denver. He's still an intriguing prospect. Never heard the Packers mentioned in any trade talks for Chambers.

Back to top Report Abuse

Spike

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:06 pm Post subject:

Hi Rob,

Right after the draft many journalists felt that Crosby was really going to have to be put under the microscope and excell to make the team. Did his making the packers 53 man squad surprise you individually? And what were other sports journalists saying around the country about his being drafted and then making the Packers?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Crosby did exactly that. Every kick was charted and scrutinized in the paper and Crosby did just fine, so in the end it should not have been that big of a surprise that he made it. I haven't read much from national writers about the kicking situation but I think if you ask anyone who was at practice on a regular basis this summer they'd say that both Crosby and Rayner were capable kickers but that Crosby was just a little bit better. I would imagine Rayner will be on a roster very soon. He's a good kicker. Crosby was just a little better.

Thanks for the all the questions. Sorry if I didn't get to yours, but there were a lot of them tonight. Take care.