PDA

View Full Version : Nepal airlines

Kiwon
09-05-2007, 07:29 AM
The next time you are tempted to complain about poor service and delays with your airline, consider the level of service that the people of Nepal have.

The mechanics and butchers unions are one and the same in Nepal.

Airline sacrifices goats to appease sky god

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god, following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the carrier said Tuesday.

Nepal Airlines, which has two Boeing aircraft, has had to suspend some services in recent weeks due the problem.

The goats were sacrificed in front of the troublesome aircraft Sunday at Nepal's only international airport in Kathmandu in accordance with Hindu traditions, an official said.

"The snag in the plane has now been fixed and the aircraft has resumed its flights," said Raju K.C., a senior airline official, without explaining what the problem had been.

Local media last week blamed the company's woes on an electrical fault. The carrier runs international flights to five cities in Asia.

It is common in Nepal to sacrifice animals like goats and buffaloes to appease different Hindu deities.

Badgerinmaine
09-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Well, maybe that's why my flights get delayed...not enough sacrifices on those American airlines 8-)

That's a wild story, Kiwon.

Kiwon
09-05-2007, 09:21 AM
My guess is that AA mechanics make more money than Nepal Airlines guys do, but the BBQ's better in Nepal.

I've flown out of Portland a few times............

Now I fly into Boston and drive up.

Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, Saco, Biddeford, Moose Head, Ellsworth, Bar Harbor.....Maine's a beautiful state.

oregonpackfan
09-05-2007, 10:31 AM
While a try to respect the cultural mores of other countries, I can only shake my head at that one! :roll:

Badgerinmaine
09-05-2007, 03:28 PM
My guess is that AA mechanics make more money than Nepal Airlines guys do, but the BBQ's better in Nepal.

I've flown out of Portland a few times............

Now I fly into Boston and drive up.

Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, Saco, Biddeford, Moose Head, Ellsworth, Bar Harbor.....Maine's a beautiful state.

It is a beautiful state...the interior has a lot of great scenery, too.
If Portland and Bangor are too costly for flights, Manchester, NH (MHT) is sometimes cheaper than both them and Boston. Sometimes I get very lucky and find a cheap flight out of Augusta (AUG) freeding into Boston...it's less than a mile away from where I live.

Kiwon
09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
While a try to respect the cultural mores of other countries, I can only shake my head at that one! :roll:

I have to agree. There are always several things to admire in each culture, but lines have to be drawn somewhere.

Ask me about my friend that went to a doctor in Uzbekistan.

I use to know the Boeing rep for Korea that ordered replacement parts for airlines. I kind of doubt there is a trouble-shooting flowchart in the manual that calls for the sacrifice of two goats to solve a problem. :)

Rastak
09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I've got a buddy from Nepal. Used to play tennis with him all the time but he moved to Chicago. Nicest guy you'd ever meet. I'll have to ask him about the goat thing next time I talk to him.

MadtownPacker
09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Why do you guys hate on their way of doing things? You know they aren't just relying on that to fix the plane. Some dude is in the back where no one can see, fixing it all up to please whatever God they are worried about in the first place. Don't want to make him look bad to the public.

In Mexico they might say some prayers to the Virgen De Guadalupe before taking off. It aint too much different.

Joemailman
09-05-2007, 10:24 PM
The next time you are tempted to complain about poor service and delays with your airline, consider the level of service that the people of Nepal have.

The mechanics and butchers unions are one and the same in Nepal.

Airline sacrifices goats to appease sky god

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god, following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the carrier said Tuesday.

Nepal Airlines, which has two Boeing aircraft, has had to suspend some services in recent weeks due the problem.

The goats were sacrificed in front of the troublesome aircraft Sunday at Nepal's only international airport in Kathmandu in accordance with Hindu traditions, an official said.

"The snag in the plane has now been fixed and the aircraft has resumed its flights," said Raju K.C., a senior airline official, without explaining what the problem had been.

Local media last week blamed the company's woes on an electrical fault. The carrier runs international flights to five cities in Asia.

It is common in Nepal to sacrifice animals like goats and buffaloes to appease different Hindu deities.

Did they say what kind of goats they were? I'm guessing scapegoats.

Scott Campbell
09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
*rimshot*

Kiwon
09-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Maybe it's the unappeased sky god, Akash Bhairab, that's responsible for poor cell phone reception in the States. Verizon, Sprint, and the rest better get with the goat sacrifices.

I bet the reception is great in Nepal.