PDA

View Full Version : Packers Getting some Respect

cheesner
09-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Okay it is from some guy I never heard of, but he works for Fox Sports and I think he just may be a genius. He has the Packers ranked 12th - by far the highest I have seen. His schtick is that he visited almost all of the training camps, so he is basing this on more than just what he has heard on ESPN.

LINK (http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Curt_Menefee/2007/09/03/From_Worst_To_First_Ranking_All_32_Teams)

The preseason's all wrapped up. The cuts have been made. Now nothing left to do but play some football. FINALLY!

This time of year everyone always wants to know what everyone else thinks of their team. Well, since my "27 camps in 29 days" tour (turned out to be 25 camps due to weather and horrible service by the airline industry) allowed me to see the majority of teams, first hand, I thought that I'd give you my opinion on how the entire league stacks up.

It's just my opinion, and that's it.

So here we go with my ranking of teams from No. 1 (the best) to No. 32 (the worst). As you read this, keep in mind that last year, I predicted a Miami/Carolina Super Bowl. We'll see if I can do any better this time around.

1. San Diego Chargers

Reason to believe: Hands down, the best talent in the NFL.

Reason to worry: New head coach and new coordinators working together for the first time.

2. New England Patriots

Reason to believe: Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, enough said.

Reason to worry: Randy Moss, enough said.

3. Chicago Bears

Reason to believe: Weapons on offense may finally equal those on defense.

Reason to worry: Offensive line beginning to age.

4. Baltimore Ravens

Reason to believe: Willis McGahee looks like he's got something to prove.

Reason to worry: Steve McNair starting to show his age and physical pounding he's taken.

5. New Orleans Saints

Reason to believe: Drew Brees has been near perfect in camp.

Reason to worry: Still unsure how they're getting it done at linebacker, but they are...for now.

6. Seattle Seahawks

Reason to believe: Healthy Matt Hasselbeck, Shaun Alexander, a much improved defense.

Reason to worry: Left guard Rob SIms and center Chris Spencer new starters from day one.

7. Indianapolis Colts

Reason to believe: Two words: Peyton Manning.

Reason to worry: Lost far too many players from Super Bowl team.

8. Pittsburgh Steelers

Reason to believe: Roethlisberger out to show it wasn't all Cowher and Whisenhunt.

Reason to worry: Was Big Ben's success all Cowher and Whisenhunt?

9. Philadelphia Eagles

Reason to believe: Donovan McNabb is back.

Reason to worry: Fair or not, Andy Reid's family troubles will continue to be a topic in Philly.

10. Denver Broncos

Reason to believe: Jay Cutler in year two with Mike Shanahan.

Reason to worry: Outside of Elvis Dumervil, defensive line is a huge question mark.

11. Dallas Cowboys

Reason to believe: The way Tony Romo played in his first five starts in '06.

Reason to worry: The way Tony Romo played in his final five starts in '06.

12. Green Bay Packers

Reason to believe: Defense has the potential to be dominant.

Reason to worry: Offensive scheme built on RB and TE and right now team has neither.

13. Cincinnati Bengals

Reason to believe: Offensive starters are as solid a group as there is in NFL.

Reason to worry: Three 8-8 finishes in four years under Marvin Lewis.

14. Carolina Panthers

Reason to believe: Running game should be better under new coordinator Jeff Davidson.

Reason to worry: Dan Morgan is difference maker on defense, but can he ever stay healthy?

15. Tennessee Titans

Reason to believe: Vince Young makes everybody around him better.

Reason to worry: Haven't replaced Pacman Jones at corner, nor as a returner.

16. San Francisco 49ers

Reason to believe: Rookies Patrick Willis and Joe Staley are the real deals.

Reason to worry: Realistically, one more draft class and free agent year away.

17. St. Louis Rams

Reason to believe: As long as this coaching staff has Steven Jackson, they have a chance.

Reason to worry: Secondary will miss best player, Fakhir Brown, for 4-game suspension.

18. New York Jets

Reason to believe: Eric Mangini worked magic in 2006.

Reason to worry: It's not 2006 anymore.

19. Jacksonville Jaguars

Reason to believe: Defense too good not to believe.

Reason to worry: Cutting your starting QB a week before the season starts is not good.

20. Washington Redskins

Reason to believe: Defensive talent is back to 2004-2005 level.

Reason to worry: QB Jason Campbell missed a lot of preseason work with an injured knee.

21. Arizona Cardinals

Reason to believe: Team will be more disciplined under Ken Whisenhunt.

Reason to worry: Essentially the same defensive group that was ranked 30th last year.

22. Detroit Lions

Reason to believe: Passing game should be electric.

Reason to worry: Running game could be shockingly bad.

23. New York Giants

Reason to believe: May be deepest receiver group in team history.

Reason to worry: Anything other than a fast start and the wolves will be out in NYC.

24. Miami Dolphins

Reason to believe: Offensive-minded head coach Cam Cameron just what team needed.

Reason to worry: Could have also used some younger players on defense.

25. Cleveland Browns

Reason to believe: Talent has really been upgraded.

Reason to worry: Weeks 1-5: Pittsburgh, Cincy, at Oakland, Baltimore and at New England.

26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Reason to believe: Jon Gruden is desperate, and desperate coaches can be dangerous.

Reason to worry: Jeff Garcia hasn't played 16 games since 2002.

27. Buffalo Bills

Reason to believe: Should be able to run the ball and keep games close.

Reason to worry: Must have offense keep games close, because defense will struggle.

28. Oakland Raiders

Reason to believe: Daunte Culpepper beginning to look like his old self.

Reason to worry: Lamont Jordan's inconsistent and Dominic Rhodes is out first four games.

29. Minnesota Vikings

Reason to believe: Offense should be better by the end of season.

Reason to worry: First-year starter Tarvaris Jackson will struggle. How does he handle it?

30. Atlanta Falcons

Reason to believe: Bobby Petrino seems to have done a good job of keeping team focused.

Reason to worry: It was going to be a long year with Michael Vick's talent. Without him...

31. Houston Texans

Reason to believe: Change at quarterback brings in fresh air.

Reason to worry: Don't you just feel like they'll always be the "Arizona of the AFC"?

32. Kansas City Chiefs

Reason to believe: Wait, wait...I'm still thinking.

Reason to worry: Damon Huard was a backup for 11 years for a reason.

NFC division winners: Chicago, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Seattle.

NFC wild cards: Dallas and Green Bay.

AFC division winners: Baltimore, Indianapolis, New England, San Diego.

AFC wild cards: Denver and Pittsburgh.

Super Bowl matchup: Chicago Bears vs San Diego Chargers.

Since Super Bowl XLII is on FOX in February, I'll be there in person to see if my predictions are right. They probably won't be. :-)

oregonpackfan
09-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Wow! Number 12?! Prior to this report, I have never seen any ranking for the Packers higher than 22.

Carolina_Packer
09-05-2007, 11:14 PM
So, he thinks we can be 12th based on our defense, and those skill positions NOT mentioned in his worry statement, WR and QB. Isn't this like saying, "Other than the gunshot, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

We have NOTHING at TE and RB? mmmm, we have some players who are getting paid to play football, and who would not be there if they couldn't play. They may not be well-known, or well-accomplished, but they aren't NOTHING. I hope those two positions defy logic and succeed where others are predicting massive doubt or certain failure.

CaliforniaCheez
09-06-2007, 01:00 AM
I generally agree with the guy's opinion.

I will say that he has the Giants and the Falcons too low and
The Broncos and the Titans too high. But those are minor points.

Kiwon
09-06-2007, 02:26 AM
A Pack win over Philly would go a long way to justify that ranking.

If the defense plays well and we don't commit any turnovers we have a good shot to win.

How has McNabb looked in the preseason?

LL2
09-06-2007, 08:49 AM
He has Gb getting a wild card. I'd be happy with a season like that, but I think we can win the division. I might retract that after the first few weeks. I think GB will surprise a few people. We should see a breakout year from Jenkins and Hawk, and you put that with Woodson and Kampman having probowl like year and we will have a great D.

Merlin
09-07-2007, 11:54 AM
So, he thinks we can be 12th based on our defense, and those skill positions NOT mentioned in his worry statement, WR and QB. Isn't this like saying, "Other than the gunshot, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

We have NOTHING at TE and RB? mmmm, we have some players who are getting paid to play football, and who would not be there if they couldn't play. They may not be well-known, or well-accomplished, but they aren't NOTHING. I hope those two positions defy logic and succeed where others are predicting massive doubt or certain failure.

I think you took it a little more to heart then it was intended. Our healthiest running back is on the practice squad and Franks & Lee are coming off a dismal 2006 with no 3rd TE. It's easy to come to that conclusion from the outside. I understand where he is coming from.