PDA

View Full Version : How long has it been....

Kiwon
09-06-2007, 02:48 AM
How long has it been since the Packers had a dominant Week One win? I really can't remember.

It was embarassing to lose to the Lions in 2005 and then even worse being shut out by the Bears last year. That one still stings.

After the last few years it would be really nice to start the season with a convincing win.

rpiotr01
09-06-2007, 06:58 AM
How long has it been since the Packers had a dominant Week One win? I really can't remember.

It was embarassing to lose to the Lions in 2005 and then even worse being shut out by the Bears last year. That one still stings.

After the last few years it would be really nice to start the season with a convincing win.

2004 v. Carolina. Bob Slowik's first and last stand. Carolina was just coming off a super bowl appearance and were a favorite to return. We came out on Monday night and dominated them.

Then they were embarassed at home by the 5-11 Bears in Lovie's first game against them.

Then came the shootout at Indy.

Then Favre's concussion game against the Giants, another loss.

The the monday night embarassent ahgainst the Titans.

Etc....

mmmdk
09-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Last time Packers won in a home opener was in 2002 in a near classic OT game versus Falcons.

2002 Week 1 Sep 8 W 37-34 (OT) vs Atlanta Falcons.

Last dominant home opening win was versus Lions in 2001.

2001 Week 1 Sep 9 W 28-6 vs Detroit Lions.

Packers has never won the home opener at the new renovated Lambeau Field.

It's about time!

Carolina_Packer
09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
yeah, let's hit someone in the mouth and get this season started the right way! I'm too am tired of limping out of the gate. This team can be good, we just don't know how consistent because of inexperience. Hopefully, they can be coached up and that they gel really well, and of course that they stay healthy, which hasn't been the case at RB to date.

My biggest hope is that Brandon Jackson will emerge from the radar screen and have scouts go, where the F did that guy come from. Another candidate for that would be Wynn, and that would be more from nowhere than Jackson. Let's see that chip on his shoulder translate to performance on the field.

Go Pack Go!!!

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
yeah, let's hit someone in the mouth and get this season started the right way!

Is that statistic that Super Bowl day has the most domestic violence of any day of the year true? I suspect it is an urban myth.

Maybe opening day can get a little rough too.

(I know what you mean, Carolina, you just want to see some more hits like Bishop made in the preseason. Speaking of Bishop, he was damn lucky to make the team, overall he played like practice squad material.)

Joemailman
09-06-2007, 11:04 AM
One thing Ive seen in recent years is that at Lambeau the Packers have allowed a lot of teams to score the first time they have the ball. That has to stop. When the Packers were a great home team, it was often the defense that would set the tone. They need to get back to that.

oregonpackfan
09-06-2007, 11:08 AM
One thing Ive seen in recent years is that at Lambeau the Packers have allowed a lot of teams to score the first time they have the ball. That has to stop. When the Packers were a great home team, it was often the defense that would set the tone. They need to get back to that.

I'm hoping out defense this year will keep the Eagles from scoring on the first drive.

I feel pretty confident about the Packers defense this year. With the strenghtened D-line, our linebackers have been roaming and penetrating more often during the preseason games. Hopefully, that will carry over to the regular season.

Freak Out
09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Considering TT has taken the defense 1st approach they damn well better come out fired up and knock McNappy on his ass. The packers have started slow before and come back to win some games but this is a BIG game. The defense needs to be dominant not dormant.

Carolina_Packer
09-06-2007, 03:16 PM

Is that statistic that Super Bowl day has the most domestic violence of any day of the year true? I suspect it is an urban myth.

(I know what you mean, Carolina, you just want to see some more hits like Bishop made in the preseason. Speaking of Bishop, he was damn lucky to make the team, overall he played like practice squad material.)

HH, everytime someone brings up our linebacking, I have a good reaction (our starters) and a bad reaction (our depth). Are we screwed if someone goes down?

mmmdk
09-06-2007, 03:20 PM

HH, everytime someone brings up our linebacking, I have a good reaction (our starters) and a bad reaction (our depth). Are we screwed if someone goes down?

Yes! Well, the linebacker unit is screwed.

Joemailman
09-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Right now, I worry more about what would happen if Hawk went down than I if Favre went down. The injury to Hodge has really left us vulnerable at LB.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2007, 03:45 PM

I was at that game. It was hotter than hell. Hendu scored on a 4th down late to tie it. Brett and Vick were both on fire in that game.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Right now, I worry more about what would happen if Hawk went down than I if Favre went down. The injury to Hodge has really left us vulnerable at LB.

I'm not sure if the Hodge injury is the problem. Well, it didn't help, but Hodge is really not a great fit anyway.

They need a Paris Lenon sort of player, a vet who can run a little, cover, decent tackler, who can fill-in at any position.

I thought Paris Lenon was an unsung hero with Green Bay. Not a desirable starter (altho he did become a starter at Detroit) but a guy who held his own whenever a starter went down.

hurleyfan
09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
This would be a great year to start with a win.. After the last few years of being beaten by the Eagles (one loss in particular still sticks in my craw) there should be plenty of emotion and revenge on the Packers sideline to start this year witha bang!

cheesner
09-06-2007, 05:14 PM
yeah, let's hit someone in the mouth and get this season started the right way! I'm too am tired of limping out of the gate. This team can be good, we just don't know how consistent because of inexperience. Hopefully, they can be coached up and that they gel really well, and of course that they stay healthy, which hasn't been the case at RB to date.

My biggest hope is that Brandon Jackson will emerge from the radar screen and have scouts go, where the F did that guy come from. Another candidate for that would be Wynn, and that would be more from nowhere than Jackson. Let's see that chip on his shoulder translate to performance on the field.

Go Pack Go!!!All right!

I was so motivated by your call to action I walked over to the gal a few cubicles down and popped her in the jaw.

Now that I am thinking about it, you probably meant 'we' as in the Packers. Oh, well. The bitch was a Bears fan and had it coming anyway.

mmmdk
09-07-2007, 10:22 AM

I was at that game. It was hotter than hell. Hendu scored on a 4th down late to tie it. Brett and Vick were both on fire in that game.

I have this game on DVD - one of my favorites! But I'd rather be at the game - BEAM ME OVER THE GRAND HERRING POND! :lol:

Carolina_Packer
09-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Don't worry, we can drop one of our 36 defensive lineman in at linebacker if need be. We do have options. I thought we'd have a little more depth going into the season, with TT either keeping Havner or getting someone from the waiver wire. What do you think the rationale is being so thin at LB?

rpiotr01
09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Don't worry, we can drop one of our 36 defensive lineman in at linebacker if need be. We do have options. I thought we'd have a little more depth going into the season, with TT either keeping Havner or getting someone from the waiver wire. What do you think the rationale is being so thin at LB?

The rationale is, our best trade bait is at DT and we're so thin at other spots on offense that if [when?] the shit hits the fan, that trade bait will come in handy.

Carolina_Packer
09-07-2007, 12:49 PM
The rationale is, our best trade bait is at DT and we're so thin at other spots on offense that if [when?] the shit hits the fan, that trade bait will come in handy.

Is that someone else's shit hitting the fan or our own? I'm assuming we'd be opportunitistic if some team loses a DT in the first few weeks and try and engineer a trade, but for what? At this point, wouldn't it likely be for a future draft pick? That doesn't help us this season for sure.

If it's our shit hitting the fan, then we'd be negotiating at a disatvantage or "over a barrell", like when we traded for Ryan Grant. I'm not sure why we thought we had to give up a draft pick to get him, and why it had to be him, when there were likely bench guys on the waiver wire at that point. Antonio Pittman, anyone? I'm sure there are folks here who can name a lot more names. It was a curious move for TT, but they must think highly of Grant or they wouldn't have sacrificed the draft pick when they did. Otherwise, why not take your chances with a guy from waivers?

Fritz
09-07-2007, 01:33 PM

I will gladly settle for an unconvincing win.

woodbuck27
09-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Last time Packers won in a home opener was in 2002 in a near classic OT game versus Falcons.

Last dominant home opening win was versus Lions in 2001.

2001 Week 1 Sep 9 W 28-6 vs Detroit Lions.

Packers has never won the home opener at the new renovated Lambeau Field.

It's about time!

There is always a chance next season as long as we see a few certain changes in Green Bay. :)

Kiwon
09-10-2007, 07:24 AM
I called it.

I knew if I started a thread like this that the Packers would get a "convincing" win in Week One.

Now what they "convinced" anybody of, I don't know, but it was a win. They'll take it.

1 and 0 to start the season. That's nice.