PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Bill Simmons article

AtlPackFan
09-06-2007, 12:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonspreview/070906&sportCat=nfl

16. Green Bay Packers
Old quarterbacks are like old strippers, old rappers and older bottles of white wine -- with the exception of Don Strock and that's really it, they get dramatically worse with age. Most people think Brett Favre is just about washed-up; actually, he is washed up. According to Pro Football Prospectus, Green Bay led the league in overthrown passes last season. In 2005 and 2006, Favre turned the ball over 64 times. Heading into Week 14 last season, the Packers were 4-8 and lost to four teams with good defenses (the Bears, Pats, Eagles and Jets) by a combined 130-19 margin. What else do you need to know?

(Note: I feel bad for the underrated Packers defense, which has a chance to be really good this season. I also feel bad for the good people of Wisconsin. In the span of seven months, they could watch the Brew Crew blow its division to the hated Cubs, followed by the greatest QB in Packers history potentially embarrassing himself in his final season, and then Chairman Yi playing 20-25 minutes per game -- guaranteed by Herb Kohl to the Chinese government, as reported by Ric Bucher!!!!! -- and single-handedly killing the Bucks' playoff hopes. The only silver lining is they'll be covered in mustard and cheese sauce the entire time. Could we send an extra shipment of EKG machines to Wisconsin please? And make it a rush order. Thanks.)

Fritz
09-06-2007, 12:29 PM
So Favre's washed up then. I guess he's no better than Joey Harrington or Daunte Culpepper or David Carr or Jake Delhomme or Rex Grossman or...

MTPackerfan
09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I assume the #16 represents his opinion of where the Pack will be in the 32 team league? (did not go to link). If so, pretty harsh words for a team that would appear to have a good chance at the playoffs. Brett's washed up so much that he is still better than at least 2/3 of the other starting QB's in the league. Sheesh.

swede
09-06-2007, 01:17 PM
The only reason a moron like this gets to keep his job after writing such ignorant drivel is that, in the present, the material is provacative.

Four months from now its innacuracies will be irrelevant and forgotten as the author will be spewing more hogwash--probably some falacious and underinformed guesses about the playoffs posing as the predictions of a really smart football guy's football guy.

I can assure you that the circumstances of a fine season from Brett will bring about no apology from him nor will he receive accountability from his editors.

Maxie the Taxi
09-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Interesting that the author quotes statistics from Pro Football Prospectus, but fails to mention that the editor of that book, Aaron Schatz, considers the Packers (along with Jacksonville) as a sleeper pick to win the Superbowl, provided, Schatz says, Green Bay finds a running back. Apparently, Schatz doesn't think Favre is washed up or a liability!

the_idle_threat
09-06-2007, 02:17 PM
The only reason a moron like this gets to keep his job after writing such ignorant drivel is that, in the present, the material is provacative.

Four months from now its innacuracies will be irrelevant and forgotten as the author will be spewing more hogwash--probably some falacious and underinformed guesses about the playoffs posing as the predictions of a really smart football guy's football guy.

I can assure you that the circumstances of a fine season from Brett will bring about no apology from him nor will he receive accountability from his editors.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow:
Swede for President!!!

Zool
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Simmons is a great basketball writer. He's a good baseball writer too, but his football leaves a lot to be desired.

The only problem I ever have with him is he's a huge Boston homer. At least he's outright honest about it.

If you havent, read this

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060825

Its a great article about a pilgrimage to Lambeau last year.

Also, 16th is quite a bit higher than a lot of experts are pointing.

packinpatland
09-06-2007, 02:48 PM
I, for one, am saving this article and somehow am going to get in touch with Mr. Simmons after the season is over. I'll print it on real paper, send it to him.............give him something to chew on. :twisted:

Carolina_Packer
09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Doesn't he write things with a slightly intentional bent on humor?

Zool
09-06-2007, 03:07 PM

Always.

Him8123
09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
What an idiot. Has no idea what he is talking about. I love how he said Favre led the league in overthrown balls. How about doing research and see why they were overthrown. Favre had one reliable reciever in Driver, and alot of times he wasn`t perfect. Every other reciever was inexperienced or wasn`t that good and wasn`t running the routes right. You could see Favre at the end of alot of plays yelling at the recievers and showing them were they we`re supposed to go. It`s a two person dance. Just cause every pass doesn`t go completed you can`t always blame the sender.

packinpatland
09-06-2007, 04:14 PM

That's a horse of a different color............he was trying to be funny, I get it. :roll: ......................he failed..........miserably.

MJZiggy
09-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I, for one, am saving this article and somehow am going to get in touch with Mr. Simmons after the season is over. I'll print it on real paper, send it to him.............give him something to chew on. :twisted:

Actually I was thinking the same thing, but different orifice....not funny at all. Doesn't he know that when you're joking, you should provide some indication to your reader that it's a joke? Was he making fun of the other 31 teams too?

fan4life
09-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Simmons always writes tongue-in-cheek.

packinpatland
09-06-2007, 06:23 PM

.......more like foot in mouth.

the_idle_threat
09-06-2007, 06:35 PM

.......more like foot in mouth.

... or head-in-ass?