PDA

View Full Version : FYI

Anti-Polar Bear
04-01-2006, 05:12 AM
To encourage jsonline's antagonists and politicians Tex, Lomboo, St. Lou, SFF (if he's still alive), the Pack, Viking Troll, among others to check out this forum, I have started a FYI thread, this one.

First topic: The Dukes of Durham

You all know the story and may not care but i will summarize it anyway. Duke University lacrosse team throws a party during spring break. Hires 2 strippers, one is black. People drink, get drunk, shit happens. Stripper accuses jocks of rape. Public outcry due to the nature of the case, which in the words of espn writer Greg Graber, symbolizes “the confluence of race, class, privilege and gender" on the Duke campus and Durham community as a whole.

The politik questions: does the justice system unjustly favor white upper class Americans? Weeks have gone by; how come there hasn’t been any arrest yet? Say, the opposite occurred and instead of white jocks being accused of raping black woman, black jocks are accused of raping white woman, would an arrest have took place already? Is Duke conspiring to conceal the truth? Is the university doing enough to punish the players? What is the politik correctness amidst all this chaos?

You may choose to debate or you may not. Its up to you.

Or you need not care at all.

:idea:

Homer Jay
04-01-2006, 05:57 AM
The last I heard they were still waiting for dna results. Right now its a game of he said she said. In answer to the question, at the very least I would guess, Nancy Grace and Rita Crosby would be all over the authorities. If it happened I hope they catch those responsible and throw the book at them.

FavreChild
04-02-2006, 12:09 AM
OK, tank, I'm not an FYI type o' gal, but let's get this thing rolling.

What pissed me off more than anything was that the Dukies were getting CREDIT for self-imposed punishment. That makes it less of an offense??

The fact is, we are not dealing with a football or basketball program, so this is not a big "problem."

The average D-I starting hoopster earns $1 million/year for his university...who do you think is going to be protected?

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 12:13 AM
You're not suggesting money and fame have anything to do with how a university might handle different situations. You Media Types are all the same. Always looking for a conspiracy. TSK TSK!!!

FavreChild
04-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Well, in all fairness, a true media type would say something like...

"I'm not suggesting..."

"We need to wait 'til the facts come out...."

"We're trying to uncover the truth..."

But other than that, you've got it figured out.

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 12:58 AM
So as I remember you are currently teaching some sort of media class. Is teaching your final destination or would you like to get into the journalism end of it. I suspect you could bring a unique perspective to it. Just curious.

FavreChild
04-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Ah, a man who listens!! Bless your heart.

To answer your question (I hope), I will not be the journalist; rather, I will be the person who analyzes what it is that the journalist reports - and how, in turn, that reflects on society.

Fun stuff, huh? :wink:

Anti-Polar Bear
04-02-2006, 01:05 AM
You're not suggesting money and fame have anything to do with how a university might handle different situations. You Media Types are all the same. Always looking for a conspiracy. TSK TSK!!!

Pack, are you more of a lefty or a righty?

I think FavreChild has a point. This wouldve been a bigger issue if it was on the basketball or football team. I don't think Duke wouldve forfeited any basketball games and take itself out of the NCAA tournament.

Lacrosse? what kind of revenue does the sport generate? My guess is Duke would probably lose LESS money by not playing at all.

Politically, i think if the opposite occurred (black jocks rape white woman), somebody wouldve been arrested already. I dont think the woman was not unconscious when when the alledge rape took peace. She couldve identified the 3 or 4 players whom she accuse of to police. But I think Police refuses to identify anyone individually, other than say that it may be some players from the team, because the players who may or may not did it to the woman are likely to come from affluent families, which means they can hired the top lawyers in the nation, which makes it difficult for the DA to arrest anyone for fear of counter law suits (false arrest, etc.). I think thats a privilege of the wealthy but also what makes the justice system erroneous.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Pack, were you or are you still a member of the jso forum? If so im just wondering who you are there?

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 01:55 AM
I lean a little to the left, but quite frankly, there are extremists on both sides that scare the hell out of me. I see little doubt that if it concerned Coach K's team that they would have still been playing. That's what I meant by fame and money. You have to wonder also what the difference would have been if it were black players and white dancers. Greed rears its ugly head everywhere.

Yes I have and still do post on jso.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-02-2006, 03:07 AM
I lean a little to the left, but quite frankly, there are extremists on both sides that scare the hell out of me. I see little doubt that if it concerned Coach K's team that they would have still been playing. That's what I meant by fame and money. You have to wonder also what the difference would have been if it were black players and white dancers. Greed rears its ugly head everywhere.

Yes I have and still do post on jso.

I think we agree on the same thing.

Let me guess, you are St. Lou aka Bat Pack over there, right? :wink:

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 03:17 AM
AAAAAHHHHHH!!! Wrong answer.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-02-2006, 06:59 AM
AAAAAHHHHHH!!! Wrong answer.

Mind telling us who you are? One thing thing co-creator Harlan Huckleby hates most is people hiding behind different names.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 09:26 AM
He just hates inconsistency. If pack4ever doesn't want to say, that's fine, but on this site, you can't flame a bunch of people and then go change your username to distance yourself from your words.

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 02:26 PM
No I don't mind telling you who I am on jso. I am bleedingcardinalandwhite. On CE I signed up tired and oopsed my name into bleedingbadgerandwhite. I changed my name simply because I was signing up for a packer site. Don't worry, without spell check I can't even spell hakker.

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 02:29 PM
To what to what ziggy said, it seems to me jso could clean things up with 2 simple rules. 1. No duplicate names. 2. No changing names. I think that would clean things up quickly and easily. Now, I promise, no more talk of jso.

Harlan Huckleby
04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
pack4ever,

I agree w/ u, that is much of problem over there. But also, the moderator needs to delete accounts (and associated posts), not just ham-handedly delete threads when there are dust-ups. He doesn't want to take-on trouble-makers directly, since it is harder.

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Harlan, I think you're doing a great job here and there's no doubt you have to be willing to get your hands dirty to do it. I just think if jso took away the ability to take somebody else's name and post crap, and made you stay with one name that would be a big step forward for them.
Again, great job and thanks.

Harlan Huckleby
04-02-2006, 06:19 PM
pack4ever, let me tell you with no false modesty that Madtown has been the local hero, he's been on a crystal meth binge for about 2 weeks, doing an incredible amount of work. The crash is coming, however.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 06:21 PM
By the time he crashes, JSR will be all over the content.

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 06:30 PM
OK, hats off to Mad and anyone helping to get this going. Now I am going to stop kissing your butts and get back to bashing somebody.

pacfan
04-02-2006, 09:09 PM
OK, hats off to Mad and anyone helping to get this going. Now I am going to stop kissing your butts and get back to bashing somebody.

Wow, an FYI thread and we have a collegial understanding to agree to disagree?

Good stuff....

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 09:27 PM
I don't expect it will last long... :wink:

Homer Jay
04-02-2006, 10:50 PM
I don't expect it will last long... :wink:

What the hell is that supposed to mean? :smile:

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 10:52 PM
You folks can be...oh, how can I say this...um...spirited? :razz:

FavreChild
04-03-2006, 09:48 AM
"You folks" - he he.

Please continue bashing the Dukies...

Anti-Polar Bear
04-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Sorry to bump this up and here's a few updates for anyone who cares:

DNA results do not link players to accuser.

Accuser is perceived to be intoxicated when she arrived at the party.

Two players were arrested.

This dilemma has politik written all over it; politk of gender, of race, of class. I'm surprised JSONLINE's politikians have not yet showed up. Maybe it’s because the unfortunate event is merely another boring he said/she said crisis. Maybe the politikians are too busy arguing about the real politik of Iraq. Maybe they just don’t care.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 09:08 AM
On a lighter note, you have to try this.

Google the word failure and instead of using the search button, use "I'm feeling lucky" and see what comes up.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-19-2006, 02:19 PM
On a lighter note, you have to try this.

Google the word failure and instead of using the search button, use "I'm feeling lucky" and see what comes up.

I googled "ted thompson" and i got "polar bear." :wink:

Tarlam!
04-19-2006, 03:14 PM
This place( The FYI Thread) needs a serious kick in the crotch.

One of the threads I really respected at another site. But it has turned to puss....

FavreChild
04-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Hey tank - I saw a story on CNN about polar bears and how the U.S. gov't is considering putting them on the endangered species list due to global warming. Polar bears cannot survive w/out sea ice.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/TECH/science/04/14/polar.bear.mission.reut/story.polar.bear.usfws.jpg

Little Whiskey
04-19-2006, 03:58 PM
I thought they needed seals to survive?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Hey tank - I saw a story on CNN about polar bears and how the U.S. gov't is considering putting them on the endangered species list due to global warming. Polar bears cannot survive w/out sea ice.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/TECH/science/04/14/polar.bear.mission.reut/story.polar.bear.usfws.jpg

Yeah, i heard. JSR started a thread on it. Honestly, (and as a liberal) I'm more for the economic well-being of human beings than for animal conservation. I would cut down the rain forest if it means long term economic prosperity for humans.

I think the funds provided to conserve endangered animals, animals in which humans have no use for (such as for food or as utilities), should be used instead to improve the human society. Millions of people are starving around the world and yet we are spending (or should I say, wasting) millions of dollars saving a few thousand polar bears (or other animals). That to me is injustice at the very heart of the human race.

jack's smirking revenge
04-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the tip Zigs. That made me chuckle. Here's another fun little ditty...

http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

tyler

mraynrand
04-19-2006, 10:10 PM
"Hey tank - I saw a story on CNN about polar bears and how the U.S. gov't is considering putting them on the endangered species list due to global warming. Polar bears cannot survive w/out sea ice. "
----

You have to use some common sense with this global warming thing. Think carefully. 1) How long have polar bears been around? 2) How recent was the last global warming? 3) What is the temperature around the North pole? 4) Even the most extreme global warming models have a rise of a max of about 2-4C over the next 100 years. So even if the most dire predictions are correct, some ice will melt, the habitat of the polar bears will shift, as will the habitats of other species including humans. Expectations remain that life will not die out on a global scale. Finally, why are people willing to believe the long-term predictions of global warming when the weather guys can't even predict with reasonable accuracy more than a few days ahead?

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Sorry to bump this up and here's a few updates for anyone who cares:

DNA results do not link players to accuser.

Accuser is perceived to be intoxicated when she arrived at the party.

Two players were arrested.

This dilemma has politik written all over it; politk of gender, of race, of class. I'm surprised JSONLINE's politikians have not yet showed up. Maybe it’s because the unfortunate event is merely another boring he said/she said crisis. Maybe the politikians are too busy arguing about the real politik of Iraq. Maybe they just don’t care.

Those poor accused boys went to a all-boys Catholic prep school that cost 23,000 a year 9-12 grade. How could they possibly be accused of such a horrendous crime with such an elite background!! :shock: :razz:

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 10:56 PM
As this is the FYI thread, I just want one thing noted for the record. Bush sucks. Discuss.

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 10:58 PM
As this is the FYI thread, I just want one thing noted for the record. Bush sucks. Discuss.

I love Bush :mrgreen: :razz: :shock:

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 11:00 PM
George Bush, dear. I was referring to our president.

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 11:04 PM
HAHA....... B got you there zig!

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 11:06 PM
:oops:

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 11:10 PM
:oops:

Did ya really think you were going to get away with that when Bretsky is in the house in PM Perv mode ?

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 11:11 PM
I was in FYI. I wasn't thinking of that.

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 11:16 PM

Sure ya were; you don't have to play innocent with me Zigs; 007 use to play innocent too but the true perv in her has been brought out many times. I'm actually quite the clean cut thinker; she brings out the worst in me. :cool:

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 11:22 PM

Sure ya were; you don't have to play innocent with me Zigs; 007 use to play innocent too but the true perv in her has been brought out many times. I'm actually quite the clean cut thinker; she brings out the worst in me. :cool:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joemailman
04-25-2006, 07:42 PM

Reminds me of the 1984 election between Reagan and Mondale and some people said Mondale chose Geraldine Ferraro as VP candidate so that both he and Reagan would have a Bush as a running mate. :mrgreen: