PDA

View Full Version : Vikes give Williams 3-year extension

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Vikes give Williams 3-year extension
FOXSports.com

The Minnesota Vikings have locked up one of the league's most underrated players and prevented him from charging his way out of town.

Vikings Pro Bowl DT Pat Williams told FOXSports.com exclusively that he has agreed to a new three-year extension worth about $22 million that includes $9.5 million in new guarantees.
Williams said the deal won't be signed until Friday as certain formalities still have to be ironed out. However, he's confident it's done and added, "It wasn't so much about the money, I wanted to get a deal done because now I may be able to finish my career playing next to Kevin Williams (another stud Vikings defensive player). That's what was so important for me to get it done."

The 330-pound Williams is considered one of the game's greatest interior run defenders, often immovable in the middle. Entering his 11th NFL season, his reputation as an inside force and as a disruption up the gut has grown strong in recent years. The Williams tandem could be the most stable spot on the Vikings roster. Now it's stable for years to come.

The team is expected to officially announce the move on Friday.

They make one hell of a combo.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Pat is a great run stopper, but he's a 360lb DT that is a month away from his 35th birthday.

Zool
09-06-2007, 03:50 PM
When the headline said Williams, I didnt think this was the Williams.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-06-2007, 03:56 PM
When the headline said Williams, I didnt think this was the Williams.

VIKES GIVE.........

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Pat is a great run stopper, but he's a 360lb DT that is a month away from his 35th birthday.

Dt usually can play effectively even with old age.

Kiwon
09-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Speaking of that.....is Grady Jackson still with Atlanta?

the_idle_threat
09-06-2007, 06:29 PM

I wouldn't say "usually," Bob. :wink: Seems to me that DT is a very injury-prone position in general, and guys don't tend to have long careers playing at a high level. Guys like Big Gil or Santana Dotson, Kris Jenkins or Bryant Young get hurt and then they either come back with reduced effectiveness, or they don't come back at all. What guys have played effectively in the middle after they have reached age 35?

superfan
09-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Vikings Pro Bowl DT Pat Williams told FOXSports.com exclusively that he has agreed to a new three-year extension worth about $22 million that includes $9.5 million in new guarantees.

I find this type of reporting annoying. Like we give a damn that FOXSports.com got the exclusive. Enough with the self promotion and just give us the news already.

Scott Campbell
09-06-2007, 07:14 PM

I find this type of reporting annoying. Like we give a damn that FOXSports.com got the exclusive. Enough with the self promotion and just give us the news already.

They make it sound like they beat out Katie Couric and Barbara Walters for the scoop.

Rastak
09-06-2007, 07:31 PM

Yup, which is why they better load it up this year, they still got 20 mil of open space (before this). If most of the garuntees are this year and next it's a good move.

Guiness
09-07-2007, 12:32 AM

Dunno, but I heard Ted Washington is still playing.

That thing last year where Grady sued the team, then played the season for them anyways...bizarre. Boy's not a bright bulb by any means.

Scott Campbell
09-07-2007, 07:04 AM

Grady is listed on their roster:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People/Roster.aspx

KYPack
09-07-2007, 09:04 AM

I wouldn't say "usually," Bob. :wink: Seems to me that DT is a very injury-prone position in general, and guys don't tend to have long careers playing at a high level. Guys like Big Gil or Santana Dotson, Kris Jenkins or Bryant Young get hurt and then they either come back with reduced effectiveness, or they don't come back at all. What guys have played effectively in the middle after they have reached age 35?

I dunno Threat. I'd bicker with ya on this one. Those older space eaters can have long careers.

Gravy is still with ATL and playin' well. Sam Adams. Ted Washington. Some of those old guys know their way around that position pretty well and last a long time. They only gotta "run" about 2-3 yards. It's a strange gig down in that maw, some guys learn how to do it for the long haul.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2007, 09:35 AM
There are some that have had a long careers, but there are a bunch who fell off the map. It's hard for those guys to stay in shape sometimes. For every Ted Washington, there's a Gilbert Brown.

mraynrand
09-07-2007, 09:59 AM

They make it sound like they beat out Katie Couric and Barbara Walters for the scoop.

Katie and Babs are covering the NFL now? Time to switch over to squash.

The Leaper
09-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Gravy is still with ATL and playin' well. Sam Adams. Ted Washington. Some of those old guys know their way around that position pretty well and last a long time. They only gotta "run" about 2-3 yards. It's a strange gig down in that maw, some guys learn how to do it for the long haul.

Gravy and Adams aren't 35 yet...and already both show some signs of decline IMO. Washington clearly is an example of a guy who has been solid after 35...not sure I can think of too many others. I can't fault the Vikings for signing the guy, but it could be something that backfires on them if he takes a nose dive in performance in the next year or two.

Merlin
09-07-2007, 11:01 AM
More then likely it's a front loaded contract to keep him happy for a year, maybe two.

Kind of interesting that they extend a 35 year old DT, a position that is oft injured for 3 years and it's "OK", but we cut our 36 year old FB who was making the vet minimum because "who ever heard of a 36 year old fullback".

I might add that Lorenzo Neal who blocks for LaDainian Tomlinson in San Diego is 36 and a few months older then Henderson. He earned his first pro-bowl selection in 2002 after being an alternate the 2 previous seasons. so I guess it is heard of after all. They both have equally impressive resumes blocking for 1,000 rushers in their careers.

Sorry, didn't mean to get on a rant. It's just the naive reasoning that age has anything to do with EVERY player. There are exceptions.

Fritz
09-07-2007, 01:39 PM
The main point should be that any true Packer fan in Minneapolis ought to be buying Pat Williams as many all-you-can-eat buffets as he can handle. If we can get him into the 380 lb range we might be able to reduce his effectiveness or at least his wind. Make that guy lug another twenty pounds or so around.