PDA

View Full Version : Predict the Packers' Defense

BallHawk
09-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Put down your prediction for the end of the year rank for our defense.

For fun, put down how you think we will rank in run defense and pass defense.

Packnut
09-06-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm going with 1-5. I've got our D in EVERY FF league I'm in. I'm either gonna be a genious or..........well I prefer to think positive. I'll say 6th in pass D and 3rd in run D.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2007, 05:22 PM
They're gonna be really, really good. Top five.

Unless a linebacker gets hurt.

superfan
09-06-2007, 05:26 PM
6-10. Too many things need to go right to finish in the top 5.

Joemailman
09-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I said 6-10. Higher in run defense than pass defense. Teams will be unable to run on this defense, and will be forced to pass. Lots of opportunities for sacks and picks.

BallHawk
09-06-2007, 06:03 PM

That's what I put. We would have to remain almost completely injury free and if one guy goes down, especially a LB, we're in trouble.

I say we finish ranked #8 overall.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2007, 06:51 PM

ah ya, but that's the same for every defense. I don't think there is a better starting 7 in the league. That's a good basis for dreaming.

wist43
09-06-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm actually in the majority on this one... strange karma.

Anyway, my principle bone of contention with the scheme has been the unlikelihood of finding franchise DE's to make the scheme work.

That said, Kampman and Jenkins actually seem to have a chance. Maybe I've been watching too much tape of Jenkins in those last 5 games, but he certainly looks to have picked up in the preseason where he left off.

Two shut down corners on the outside make everything else work. If Woodson or Harris goes down, or realizes a drop in production, the defense would suffer tremendously.

I love Hawk... knew he wouldn't be a bust, but he's better than I could have hoped. Watching him play next to Barnett only serves to reinforce my overall opinion of Barnett - Hawk is so much better. However, Barnett did play fairly well at the end of last year (weak offenses nothwithstanding)... which has more to do with Hawk, than Barnett I think.

Bigby has to pan out... there'll be some growing pains, but he's got the physical tools.

Scheme wise/coaching... Sanders has to be more aggressive and creative to take this defense to the next level. He has some weapons to work with... the success or failure of this defense to either live up to, or exceed expectations, has as much to do with Sanders as it does the players.

gbgary
09-06-2007, 09:20 PM
i figure they'll be in the bottom half. not because they're terrible but because they'll be on the field 3/4s of the time. fatique will defeat them. we have no offense to control the ball and keep them off the field. therefore the yards they'll allow will pile up and make them seem worse then they really are.

retailguy
09-06-2007, 09:27 PM
i figure they'll be in the bottom half. not because they're terrible but because they'll be on the field 3/4s of the time. fatique will defeat them. we have no offense to control the ball and keep them off the field. therefore the yards they'll allow will pill up and make them seem worse then they really are.

nah, they should still be better than that, even if your fears come true.

SkinBasket
09-06-2007, 10:04 PM
The last time we had a top "ranked" defense, all anyone could talk about was how we didn't deserve that rank because it was indicative of how shitty we were. I tried to explain that you can argue how our defense "rated" against others, but that stats are stats and our ranking was deserved. I was thoroughly gang raped as a result. Therefore I respectfully abstain from this poll.

retailguy
09-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I was thoroughly gang raped as a result.

Problem is, we all know you enjoyed it.

GBRulz
09-06-2007, 10:30 PM
I say 6-10. Main reason....a guy named Shot !

I think we'll be in the top 5 for run defense, but the # of big plays we've given up, worry me.

Carolina_Packer
09-07-2007, 10:13 AM
6-10 would be a nice step up, and a balanced 6-10 where it's not great run stopping and suspect secondary equals a 6-10 ranking, but a solid, balanced defense. That would seem to be our best hope for staying in games this year. Of course last night we were surprised by a Colts D that had lots of questions going into the season and they spanked the Saints. I'd love for the Packers to have the same doubters of their offense proven wrong.

rpiotr01
09-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Ranking in what category? Points allowed? Yards allowed? Take aways? There are many ways to rank a D.

The only thing I care about is points allowed. If we're top 10 there we'll do well this season. Last season we were 12th in yards allowed, which is good, but tied for 25th in pts per game (with Houston). That has to improve dramatically.

Carolina_Packer
09-07-2007, 10:32 AM
What he said.

We were an improving defense toward the end of the season last year, and we have hope going into this season, but the real test obviously will be to see if we can dominate a good team with our D. It's very important to come out and set the tone by hitting Philly in the mouth and sending a message to the league that we are going to get after you and smack you, not "bend, but not break". If you want to be compared to the 96 defense or that era, be the "3 and Out Specials" defense.

wpony
09-07-2007, 10:37 AM
10-15 just because they will be on the field to much , I think we will score to fast LOL or turn it over to fast :(

wist43
09-07-2007, 10:44 AM
I agree that they're likely to fade down the stretch b/c of the offenses inability to stay on the field.

However, if you look at the schedule, from an offensive perspective there really aren't that many good offensive teams on the schedule. In the last 8 games only Dallas, St Louis, and Detroit can move the ball consistently - and Detroit plays at Lambeau in December.

So just as the defense is wearing down, the schedule gives them a break... so, maybe it's a wash.

Carolina_Packer
09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
So just as the defense is wearing down, the schedule gives them a break... so, maybe it's a wash.

Wist, sounds like you are predicting an 8-8 campaign.

wist43
09-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Wist, sounds like you are predicting an 8-8 campaign.

No, I came in at 7-9... can't see them being able to run the ball, that's going to put Favre and the defense in increasingly difficult situations as the season wears on.

As for a ranking though, and since rankings are based solely on yardage, I think they can come in in the 6-10 range. Something I never would have thought possible a year ago.

The more you look at it, the more you realize that the quality of our offensive opponents in the last 8 weeks is pretty weak. Like I said, only Dallas, St Louis and Detroit can move the ball consistently - Detroit having one game in Detroit and one game @ Lambeau in December.

Other than those games you're looking at Oakland, Carolina, Minnesota, and Chicago... none of those teams can move the ball consistently.

woodbuck27
09-07-2007, 05:00 PM
i figure they'll be in the bottom half. not because they're terrible but because they'll be on the field 3/4s of the time. fatique will defeat them. we have no offense to control the ball and keep them off the field. therefore the yards they'll allow will pill up and make them seem worse then they really are.

That is what I predict as well.

The game is really simple. Ensure that the balance of possession is in favor of our team by winning the battle of the clock on 'O'.

How is that done?

By ensuring that the running game is a success. How? By establishing a strong OL and RB's.

That hasn't been done. So we lose the battle of the clock and the consequence falls on our 'D' ( as adversity ). Injuries pile up.

Our 'D' suffers because of this.