PDA

View Full Version : Silverstein : What McCarthy means vs. what he said

motife
09-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Filling in the Blanks
What McCarthy said, and what he really meant ...
Posted: Sept. 5, 2007
Tom Silverstein

Green Bay - Every Wednesday, the official start of the work week when the Packers play on Sunday, coach Mike McCarthy holds a press conference to discuss the state of the team, the upcoming opponent and any news developments. Sometimes it takes an interpreter to decode what the coach is really saying and sometimes it takes an analyst to fully explain what he means.

Here are excerpts of McCarthy's press conference today with a little bit of interpretation and a little bit of analysis from this reporter.

The Question
What have you seen in Brandon Jackson so far that would make you comfortable with him as the starter?

McCarthy's Answer: Talented, young man. Excellent lower body strength. He's very explosive. I think he has natural running instincts. As far as how he has adapted to our offense, I think he just continues to get better. I feel very good about him on first and second down. He's getting better and better on third down and some of the specialty things we're doing. I'm very comfortable with Brandon.

Filling in the Blanks : Jackson has adapted well to the passing game and could help the Packers bring the screen pass back in vogue. He's got good hands and runs well in crowds. He can also swing out of the flat. But until he shows he can pick up the blitz, he can't be trusted on third down. Even if he's in the right place, can he execute a block against blitzing Philadelphia safety Brian Dawkins? It's very questionable.

The Question
What was Vernand Morency able to do today?

McCarthy's Answer: He went through pretty much everything. We'll see where he's at in the morning. That will be a key for him.

Filling in the Blanks: Morency is still getting into football shape. How someone can go without playing a snap in the exhibition season and be expected to do anything more than be a spot runner is a mystery. He'd be a good third-down option if he had actually taken part in contact at some point in training camp. There's a chance he'll be inactive if he has pain in the knee or can't make certain cuts.

The Question
You've spent a lot of time with blitz pickup with the backs, I imagine that's going to really be put to the test on Sunday?

McCarthy's Answer: I would think so. Jim Johnson, I have a lot of respect for. I think he's clearly one of the better defensive coordinators in the league. I've always liked the way Jim calls a game. He's clearly one of the best at attacking your protection schemes. I think he does an excellent job of running two defenders through a gap. It challenges your slide protection and adjustments. This will be an excellent challenge for us in protection. We have spent a lot of time on it. It's something we spend a lot of time on regardless of who we're playing. This will be an excellent challenge for us and our guys will be ready to play.

Filling in the Blanks: Figuring out who to block won't be as big of a problem as actually blocking them. It's true the Eagles flood areas with blitzers, making it difficult to pick up everyone, but if the back picks up the guy with the fastest route to the quarterback and knocks him off his path, the quarterback has time to get the ball off. Neither Jackson nor DeShawn Wynn showed the ability to get under someone's pads and take him out of the play.

The Question
What are your plans for a third-down back without (Noah) Herron?

McCarthy's Answer: Well, we'll go with one of the guys we have. It could be Vernand. Vernand played there last year and I think he did a very nice job in his opportunities there last year. Brandon Jackson also has shown the ability. DeShawn Wynn is a man who is a very instinctive football player. He has a good understanding of what we're doing. He's probably picked it up as quick as any of the younger guys I've been around. And Ryan Grant, he's a bright young man also. We'll have somebody in there on third down, I can tell you that.

Filling in the Blanks: Grant has a hamstring injury, so don't expect him to be active. Anytime Jackson is in the backfield, the Eagles are going to blitz. They're going to test him and Wynn from the start. Don't be surprised if McCarthy keeps a tight end in to help the way he did on third down last year.

The Question
You only kept five linebackers and two tight ends. Are you concerned at all about being a little thin at those positions?

McCarthy's Answer: Well, we're maybe thin by numbers there, but we're obviously heavy somewhere else and there's a reason for that. And that was all built into our plan. We said all along we're going to keep the best 53 because if you don't go that way, in my opinion, you don't get off that cycle of building the bottom half of your roster. With that, we're prepared to play with five linebackers as far as the personnel groupings and we're prepared with the two tight ends the way our personnel is on offense. I do think it's important you game plan, you don't want to be one player away from getting out of a primary personnel group in your attack. You have to be smart with that. Now it's a little different on offense because we only have the two fullbacks and the two tight ends. But it's something we're prepared for.

Filling in the Blanks: This is definitely a concession to general manager Ted Thompson. McCarthy isn't going to say it because when he signed on he agreed to abide by Thompson's philosophies on how to build a team. And he does seem to be of the mind that it's important to keep your best 53 regardless of position. But he has to be seriously concerned about losing a tight end. It's one thing to lose a fullback and replace him with a tight end, but losing a tight end? There's no way to replace him. Thompson had several tight ends in view when he made waiver claims on Sunday, but he went with fullback John Kuhn, who he felt was a better player. McCarthy is holding his breath.

The Question
Do you have any doubts that you'll be able to run the ball well enough to accomplish your game plan?

McCarthy's Answer: I have no doubts in our plan. We'll do whatever it takes based on any group. The only concern I have with our running back group is the health of our group. It's the responsibility of the coaches to put the players in position to be successful and the healthy running back will have that opportunity and that's the way I view it.

Filling in the Blanks: McCarthy is saying here that if the running game isn't working, he's not afraid to throw the ball all day. He doesn't want to do that, but what's he going to do if Jackson can't gain more than a yard or two every carry? He'll use the backs as receiving weapons, the same way Mike Holmgren did when he couldn't run the ball early in his tenure.

The Question
Do you have a feel for how many snaps Brandon Jackson can take?

McCarthy's Answer: I really couldn't give you that today because we still have some health issues to work through through the week.

The Question
Do you anticipate him being cleared?

McCarthy's Answer: Just the way he practiced today I'll be surprised if he is not clear.

The Question
But that doesn't mean he necessarily could play 70 plays?

McCarthy's Answer: I'll just say this. I'm not trying to be super-secretive or anything like that, but this is Week 1 of our season and I'm not interested in talking about who our returners are, I'm not interested in talking about who our back will be in there, I'm not really interested in talking about who will be the nickel. But we can talk about it all you want next week. We do have some uncertainty. Will it give us an opportunity to win the game, shoot, I don't know. But let's make them prepare for all of our guys. I hope you can respect that.

Filling in the Blanks: This is first-game jitters. Every coach gets them. It doesn't matter one iota if the opposition knows who's starting. The way teams are scouted these days they know every opposing player inside and out. There's plenty of film from the pre-season for both teams to know what they're facing Sunday. As they say, it all comes down to blocking and tackling.

The Question
Can tempo and no-huddle keep the Eagles from being aggressive?

McCarthy's Answer: I don't think so. He has a veteran football team. Dawkins has been there. They're well-coached, they're well-schooled. They do a good job with disguise. This is a very mature football team coming in here Sunday, no-huddle or whatever, not that we're going to it - thanks for bringing it up - I think it's irrelevant. They're going to play their scheme and we're not dealing with a bunch of young guys.

Filling in the Blanks: The Packers tipped their hand on no-huddle in their final exhibition game against Tennessee. The Eagles saw that game and they'll be prepared for it. A fast tempo, however, will keep the Eagles from getting their defensive unit set each down. It could lead to miscommunication on defense, although McCarthy's right about one thing: the secondary is veteran and will have no trouble playing at any tempo.

The Question
When you look at the division are the Bears the team to beat and have you closed the gap on them?

McCarthy's Answer: I think they're clearly the team to beat. They're defending champions. They represented the NFC in the Super Bowl. There's nothing better than beating the Bears. They're our arch-rival. They're clearly the team to beat. Closing the gap, we'll start to answer that question Sunday. They have to play their games and we have to play ours. Sorry, I'm so boring here, but that's the way it is. That's why you play the games.

Filling in the Blanks: Pretty well put. They are the team to beat and the only way the Packers will close the gap is to beat them.

Journal Sentinel Packers beat writer Tom Silverstein will analyze Mike McCarthy's midweek news conference each week during the regular season.