PDA

View Full Version : DA expects decision on Barnett charges by Sept.

AtlPackFan
09-07-2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070907/PKR01/70907070/1989&GID=SunJlEV+cba/4ieGy/mAT0JrF2GsGRnswcrghfzvTaA%3D

By Joe Knaapen
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Door County District Attorney Ray Pelrine said Friday that he expected to decide by Sept. 12 whether criminal charges will be filed in connection with a bar incident involving Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett.

Pelrine agreed July 2 to review allegations that Barnett, 26, was involved in a pushing and shoving incident June 17 with a woman at an Appleton bar.

Pelrine agreed to handle the matter as a special prosecutor at the request of Outagamie County District Attorney Carrie Schneider.

After the incident, Barnett was jailed and released after posting bond.

Since taking the assignment, Pelrine reviewed the initial information prepared by the Appleton Police Department. Next, Pelrine asked the department to do a little more work, which officers completed about two weeks ago.

The details are now in Pelrine¹s hands, and he must decide whether there is enough evidence to show that a crime was commited, and if so, what crime, and whether Barnett can be accused of any offense.

If criminal charges are warranted, they will be filed in Outagamie County Circuit Court.

In a telephone interview this week, Pelrine declined to comment on details of the case.

"Ethically," Pelrine said, "if I have not filed a charge, I should not be speaking about a specific case."

The Packers open their regular season at home Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles.

AtlPackFan
09-07-2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070907/PKR01/70907070/1989&GID=SunJlEV+cba/4ieGy/mAT0JrF2GsGRnswcrghfzvTaA%3D

By Joe Knaapen
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Door County District Attorney Ray Pelrine said Friday that he expected to decide by Sept. 12 whether criminal charges will be filed in connection with a bar incident involving Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett.

Pelrine agreed July 2 to review allegations that Barnett, 26, was involved in a pushing and shoving incident June 17 with a woman at an Appleton bar.

Pelrine agreed to handle the matter as a special prosecutor at the request of Outagamie County District Attorney Carrie Schneider.

After the incident, Barnett was jailed and released after posting bond.

Since taking the assignment, Pelrine reviewed the initial information prepared by the Appleton Police Department. Next, Pelrine asked the department to do a little more work, which officers completed about two weeks ago.

The details are now in Pelrine¹s hands, and he must decide whether there is enough evidence to show that a crime was commited, and if so, what crime, and whether Barnett can be accused of any offense.

If criminal charges are warranted, they will be filed in Outagamie County Circuit Court.

In a telephone interview this week, Pelrine declined to comment on details of the case.

"Ethically," Pelrine said, "if I have not filed a charge, I should not be speaking about a specific case."

The Packers open their regular season at home Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Could Barnett be looking at disciplinary action from the NFL if charged? If convicted? Do you all think the NFL will wait for an outcome?

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2007, 12:40 PM
It's a relatively minor incident and it would be a first-time charge for Barnett, so I'd think a suspension would be unlikely. I'd think they'd have to wait beyond a charge. I'd think he would have to be convicted of this one. It's possible he gets suspended for a game, I guess. You never know with Goodell. Goodell stated this week that he has no suspensions pending... whatever that means.

MJZiggy
09-07-2007, 12:45 PM
It means no one's done anything fun lately...

mraynrand
09-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Goodell stated this week that he has no suspensions pending... whatever that means.

That's for gambling purposes only. It's like the injury report. Goodell should have to state by Thursday if anyone is probable, doubtful, questionable, etc. to be fined before the weekend games. It's important to me because I've got a lot of money riding on these games (Ahem!, I mean, I have a number of gentlemen wagers).

Merlin
09-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Who knows what the commish will do. I think what he has done so far was sorely needed in the NFL. AS long as he applies constant and consistently.

CaliforniaCheez
09-07-2007, 07:47 PM
If there was enough evidence or the charge was something substantial you would have heard more by now.

The fact that the DA sent out investigators a second time means there was not enough evidence the first time.

I don't think the DA wants to go to court with this case.

Note Nick didn't have an attitude with police and when peaceful and kept the thing from escalating unlike others in the NFL.

I think the charges will be droped.

Jimx29
10-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Pack LB Barnett charged with two counts of disorderly conduct

Associated Press

Updated: October 9, 2007, 10:15 PM ET

APPLETON, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett was charged Tuesday with two counts of disorderly conduct stemming from an altercation with two women in a bar this summer.

"We will enter not-guilty pleas to the two charges and will defend these charges aggressively," lawyer Avi Berk said.

The Packers, who gave the 26-year-old Barnett a six-year, $34.85 million contract extension in April, have monitored the situation since Barnett's arrest, but have previously declined to comment.

NFL spokesman Randall Liu has said that the case is subject to league review under the terms of the NFL's personal-conduct policy.

The two misdemeanor charges carry a maximum combined penalty of six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

MadtownPacker
10-10-2007, 02:20 AM
Didnt the lady he supposedly pushed later say it was her own fault?

Dont see how the DA can win this one.