PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Q&A

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2007, 11:08 PM
The boys at JSO were trying to get something out of McCarthy--just like Thompson. My favorite or the most interesting answers are in bold.

Pressure cooker
Heading into his second season in Green Bay, coach Mike McCarthy believes the Packers are positioned to win — now

Green Bay - Mike McCarthy might not appear to be a coach on the spot but in the unforgiving world of the National Football League, he most assuredly is.

McCarthy, 43, is in the second year of his three-year contract with the Green Bay Packers. General manager Ted Thompson, the man who hired him, expects to win now, meaning McCarthy will be expected to improve upon an 8-8 record from a year ago.

The Packers' two most successful coaches in the last 40 years, Mike Holmgren and Mike Sherman, each made the playoffs for the first time in their second seasons. Vince Lombardi improved from a 7-5 debut in 1959 to 8-4 and a berth in the NFL Championship Game in '60.

In an interview earlier in the week with Journal Sentinel beat writer Bob McGinn, McCarthy discussed his somewhat tenuous contract status, career aspirations, the Packers' chances to overhaul Chicago in the NFC North Division and the team's formula for success.

Q. You're the second-year coach of a team that improved four games last season and made the Packers' biggest jump since Mike Holmgren's first year in 1992. Now you're in the second year of a three-year contract. Do you wonder if your future is going to be in Green Bay?

A. I've always thought my future will take care of itself. I don't worry about the contract thing. Our business is really kind of a one-year contract. I don't sweat my contract. I've let my contract run out before as a coordinator. I think it's clearly evident there's progress throughout our program. That's all I'm focused on.
Q. If the bottom falls out in 2007 and the Packers sink back to something like 4-12, is it possible you might be out of a job?

A. I don't think that way. Your body of work is judged, No. 1, on wins and losses. No. 2, you've got to look at the substance of the work. Ted and I are building a championship program. We're not trying to do a quick fix and win everything in one year. Now we need to stay on that course and overcome the obstacles we are going to encounter. Right now, it's medical. We'll build a championship program.

Q. Has Ted Thompson even brought up the status of your contract since you signed it 20 months ago?

A. Ted and I had a very brief conversation about the contract after the season. I really have no interest in even talking about it until after the season. Because it's not a focus of mine. I'm not concerned about it.

Q. So you haven't told your agent, Gary O'Hagan, to get something going with the Packers?

A. I have no interest in even opening up that can of worms. My contract will not ever be a subject in front of our football team. To me, the team's bigger than that. That will take care of itself. It's a non-topic.

Q. One of the least desirable situations for any coach is trying to operate in the final year of a contract. Would you want to do that? Can you foresee any way the Packers would ask you to do that?

A. I signed a three-year contract and I'll fulfill it. I don't concern myself with that.

Q. How happy are you in Green Bay? By signing a short-term contract, you also were able to control your own future. Are there other jobs in NFL or major-college coaching that would greatly appeal to you?

A. I'm sitting in my dream job right now. I have no desire to coach anywhere else. I'm a Pittsburgh native. This town reminds me a lot of the way I grew up. I love it here. I have no interest in moving on to a college-level type job or any other job in the league. I had the option to go with a three or four-year contract. I took the three-year for a number of different reasons.

Q. Would you like to one day work as a coach who also has control of all football decisions spelled out in his contract?

A. I clearly think, from a structure standpoint, this is the way to go. Now after being a head coach, I don't think you can do both jobs. If you do both, you're stealing from one. I clearly understand the power struggle you're trying to get at here. I have no interest in being a GM because of the vast number of responsibilities. But to sit here and say you want to make final decisions, I don't think that's something that I desire at this point in my career. I'm very comfortable with the relationship Ted and I have. We talk through every decision. He's told me time and time again that he'd never force a player down my throat. When we disagree, we talk things out. I feel like we've created a partnership here. He's been a very strong person for me on a lot of matters that I don't have a lot of experience in. Frankly, as a young head coach, I need that. And I'm not naïve to think that I'm above all that. I think you can bite off more than you can chew.

Q. Given your final 53, if you would have been running the show and Ted Thompson would have been beneath you, would it have been one or two players different?

A. No. We talked about every position.

Q. Given the fact that you're coaching a larger-than-life quarterback and working for an extremely powerful GM, do you ever feel like you're a little lost in the shuffle around here?

A. (Laughter) No, not at all. I'm trying to flip through all the drama in the question. You don't think I get enough pub? I'm in charge of the football team. I'm in charge of who plays on Sunday. Every decision in the game plan. I'm given resources to win games. I couldn't ask for a better situation as a young head coach.

Q. With coaching salaries escalating every year, how comfortable are you with a salary averaging just under $2 million per year?

A. I'm very comfortable with my salary. I'm blessed to have this position. To sit there and complain about what you make, you'll never hear me do that.

Q. Is the NFC North winnable this season? Do the Packers have the team to do it?

A. Yes, I think so. Our football team is designed to play a certain way. The only thing of concern is you don't have the medical issues that make you take a different course. I truly believe we can win the division based on our football team and staying true to who we are. Very rarely (last season) on a Monday did I find myself saying, 'We just can't stop that.' Hey, there's no denying, the Chicago Bears were the representative of the NFC in the Super Bowl. Very good football team. Very talented football team. Further along in their program. I think Detroit and Minnesota are getting better. To me, the football game is about us. If we take care of what we do and don't try to do more than we're capable of, we'll be successful.

Q. Chicago won the division by five games a year ago and went to the Super Bowl. I'm sure you've compared the teams many, many times. On paper, are the Packers now on equal footing with the Bears from the standpoint of personnel?

A. On paper, we're not going to win a game based on the experts. But I don't believe the game's played on paper. If you want to look at experience, your argument for the Bears is understandable. But I don't view it that way.

Q. Is one of your main tasks convincing this team that it has what it takes to win the division?

A. My communication with the players, and you can ask any one of them, it's consistent and it's honest. I tell them exactly where we're at. I think the most important part of my job is keeping my finger on the pulse of that football team. I'm not into false confidence. That will blow up in your face bigger than life. By being honest, I think our confidence is real. We're getting close to the intensity I want. I think our defense is playing with more confidence and intensity than it has since I've been here. I think the offense is really starting to come together. We need to get some consistency at running back, just more of the same guys playing. And I think our special teams are going to vastly improve because we do have some experience. Last year, I think we were so young.

Q. If this team goes on to win 10 or 11 games, how do you see it doing it? What's the formula?

A. No. 1, we need to take the ball away and we need to protect it. The second thing is staying true to our scheme. Bob Sanders is in the third year of that defensive scheme and the confidence, understanding and communication is a lot better. We're going to bump-and-run you. That's who we are. On offense, our system is built to go whatever way we need to go. We have the quarterback who can give us the ability to manage us in and out of different personnel groups. We've got talented young kickers. We need to play within ourselves. If we're true to the schemes, I think we'll win a lot of games.

Q. With turnover avoidance absolutely critical for a team trying to win with defense, can you persuade Brett Favre to take fewer chances, accept punts as being OK and play field-position football?

A. One of the objectives we read to him every week is, 'Punting is good,' after a third-down completion. For as simple as it sounds, it's true. It's even more so with the ability that our defense has, particularly in the play-making category. We're asking him to make more decisions at the line than he has in the past. He needs to keep himself in a good play. Not try to make the great play all the time. One thing we do well with the perimeter group is yards after the catch. The completion percentage has to go way up. We can't operate at 56%. That's not cutting it. That's how he's being coached.

Q. In his dealings with the press, Favre often brings up his many good plays when asked about his bad plays. He becomes defensive, almost prickly, about interceptions. Despite his wondrous durability and all-time competitive spirit, can he be a hard guy to coach? How do you approach him about his propensity for giving the ball away?

A. I really don't have an opinion about how he deals with the press. He's as coachable a guy as I've ever had. As far as correcting him, nine times out of 10 it's, 'That's a bad throw. I shouldn't have went there.' He puts a lot of time into it. I think he's his toughest critic.

Q. During the regular season, would you say that creating the proper mood for the team, formulating a game plan, calling the plays on Sunday or something else is the most important part of your job?

A. The most important part of my job is to set the tempo for the team. Because I am the point man. I've never taken a public speaking class so I don't know the way you're supposed to do it. But I'm thinking about it all the time. When I'm driving a car, when I'm in the shower. Outside of my daughter, I don't think I think about anything else more than the football team. You always want to make sure you're not missing anything. The chemistry in the locker room clearly is the most important ingredient in winning. You can talk about talent, you can talk about experience. But if it's not right down there it will eventually blow up. From the feedback and what I see, I think we have a very healthy locker room.

Q. How well did you perform as the play-caller in 2006? Did you call every play last season, and do you intend to call them all again in '07?

A. I called every play last year and I intend to call every play this year. I'm always looking to be better. I enjoy it. I put a lot of time into it. On every Monday, I ask myself, 'Did I put our guys into position to make plays?' And I think for the most part I do that week in and week out.

Q. How much would it mean to you to be mentioned by your peers when the roll of the great coaches in the game is called?

A. It'd be the ultimate compliment. I think there's more to life than what you do professionally. But from a professional standpoint there's nothing better than to be respected by your peers. Those are guys that know.

Q. What kind of team would you hope your peers are saying that Mike McCarthy is building in Green Bay?

A. Smart and tough. To me, that directly equates to winning.

Q. Is this defense going to be among the five best in the NFL? If so, why?

A. I think we could be a top defense in the NFL. They understand the scheme, they believe in the scheme. Probably more importantly, we have playmakers to make big plays. I chose this scheme. There's schemes that play more of contain. You know, outside leverage and break to the ball, and they've been very successful. But what I've always liked about this scheme is it has the ability to choke you. It challenges you at every turn. There's things in it to take away plays. That's the whole approach I'm looking for from our football team. Because I feel we play offense the same way. I think that common thread needs to run through your whole team.

Q. The defensive scheme came to Green Bay with Jim Bates and now is being coordinated by Bob Sanders, but it originated with Jimmy Johnson. It's certainly a departure from the Cover 2 looks prevalent around the league. What makes it hard to attack?

A. You start up front. It's a two-gap scheme so it has the ability to collapse the middle. You have to block two-gap schemes differently. Plus, you're seeing so much more of the wide gap schemes. Chicago, Detroit. We don't see anything like ours the rest of the year. The bump and run, I'm always in favor of that. A lot of passing games are built on timing. It attacks the time clock in the passing game. You have the ability to be a nine-man front in your base (quarters) coverage. Run defense is at a premium.

Q. Sanders seems ill at ease in media settings, but reporters don't see him interacting with players and colleagues. What type of coach is he? Does he possess the inspirational qualities necessary to get the most from a unit?

A. I clearly think he does. He's a very hands-on individual. His attention to detail is second to none. He's done a very good job. He's done a very good job being critical of himself. He wants to know, 'Hey, what can I do better? What do you see?' He's here all the time. I obviously trust him with the way we formatted this staff. He's a very passionate individual. He's just such a quality person. I don't think there's a person in the building that doesn't respect Bob Sanders.

Q. During your brief tenure the Packers seem improved at wide receiver, offensive line, quarterback, defensive line, linebacker and cornerback thanks to player procurement and player development, but running back has gotten worse. You're going into a season relying on a third-year junior in Brandon Jackson, someone who has never started in Vernand Morency and a seventh-round draft choice in DeShawn Wynn, among others. You must have seen trouble ahead with this group when camp opened. How in the world can you have a balanced offense with perhaps the worst bunch of backs in the league?

A. I'm not as concerned with their youth and inexperience. I think Brandon Jackson's development has been very obvious. If he stays healthy, I think we'll all be happy with his productivity. He's instinctive. He has a very strong lower half. He can get in and out of his breaks. He's doing a lot better job with one-cut decision-making. (Vernand) Morency only got better last year. I've had Deuce McAllister, Ricky Williams, Frank Gore. I'm not going to say DeShawn Wynn is better than those guys but the guy understands football. He picks up protections very well. He could be a very good player.

Q. You have $14 million in cap room. Why didn't you get a back?

A. Who do you want us to go get?

Q. In the last six months you could have gone and got somebody that might look pretty good in your stable of backs.

A. Who?

Q. You know who was out there.

A. I know it. But obviously we didn't think so. They were all on the board. Now they're on someone else's board.

Q. You came in talking like a coach hell-bent on running the ball after having had a run rate of 43.2% in New Orleans and 49.5% in San Francisco, yet the Packers ran merely 39.7% in '06 despite having an established runner like Ahman Green for 14 games. Did you drop the ball? Or are you finding out the zone scheme isn't what it's cracked up to be?

A. It's neither. To score points in this league you need to throw the ball. I think anybody would agree on that. To commit to the run for me would be around 44%, 45%. If you want to pound the football and play good defense, that's where I was with the Saints in '01, we were 49% run. We had a number of games last year we were behind. I'll say this. Brett threw it more last year than you like but I'll do whatever it takes to win.

Q. Aaron Rodgers appeared finally to transition from suspect to legitimate prospect. How much better do you feel about his ability not only to be a starter by default but a playoff-caliber starter for the Packers?

A. I think Aaron Rodgers will be a very good quarterback when his time comes. He's coming up the right way. He's had some rough patches early in his career, which he will benefit from. He's on a very steady pace progressing to a very good quarterback. The talent is there. His mental capacity is very high. He's coming into his own on how to play the game. He's not chasing the game. The game has clearly slowed down for him.

Q. Are you disappointed or relieved that you're not coaching Randy Moss? Might he have been more trouble than he's worth?

A. I can only judge people by my own interaction with them. A lot of people in this business get reputations. I had one conversation with him during that process. I asked him very pointed questions. I was comfortable with that. I have no idea how he would be to deal with.

Q. Wasn't Justin Harrell pushed in college? He must be in shape by now but even in the fourth game he was standing up and picking his spots. At this stage, don't you have to wonder if he's ever going to be a decent starter, let alone a big-timer?

A. I think Justin Harrell will be a good football player here for a long time. Justin is 20 pounds heavier than he's ever been asked to play. He's at 320. It's something we asked him to do because of the scheme. He's getting better. He needs to get better. He is getting more comfortable with the weight. He's an anchor in a two-gap scheme. Plus the beauty of him being an anchor is the height. That's what you're looking for.

Q. Scouts for other teams are finding it hard to believe that James Jones can be this good this early. As a coach, what's it like to find a wide receiver like this in the third round? Does his performance give you and your coaches even more confidence in the personnel department?

A. We were all in agreement on James Jones. Jimmy Robinson was very excited about him when we drafted him. He's going to be a fine player. He's exactly what you saw on film. I've been wrong before. Some people just need to admit they were wrong. He has short-area quickness. He really separates well from people.

Q. Mike Holmgren said a few times that in the toughest of times he was often glad to have Fritz Shurmur on his staff for counsel. Who do you turn at times like that?

A. Ted Thompson is a great listener. He has a lot of insight. John Schneider also is a confidant. On the staff, Winston Moss is developing into my right-hand man. I rely on my coordinators a lot. Everybody needs somebody to talk to, don't get me wrong. But my responsibility as a leader, I think it's important to lead. Especially when it's not going good.

Carolina_Packer
09-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Was McGinn the same guy who had that gonzo interview with TT a few weeks ago?

Some of these questions are kind of in your face, like he's presuming McCarthy or TT is screwing up. Like the part about just going out and spending money. I like how he fired back by asking who would you get? He remained fairly composed for how challenging McGinn got with him. I thought he was going to ask him if he had stopped beating his wife.

Joemailman
09-07-2007, 11:35 PM
I like these tough interviews. Both TT and MM handled them very well in my opinion. McCarthy is one tough guy who has a plan, and believes it will work.

the_idle_threat
09-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Was McGinn the same guy who had that gonzo interview with TT a few weeks ago?

Yes.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2007, 12:57 AM
He must have been doing the rounds. This one was on the Press Gazette:

McCarthy on 2007 Packers: 'Time will tell'
By Rob Demovsky

All offseason, Mike McCarthy and the Green Bay Packers have been riding the wave of the four-game winning streak to close last season.

That stretch got the Packers back to .500, at 8-8, in McCarthy’s first year as an NFL head coach.

In Year 2, McCarthy has another young roster filled with question marks. Few expect the Packers to unseat the Chicago Bears in the NFC North, but there’s pressure on McCarthy to win anyway.

In a half-hour interview this week with the Press-Gazette’s Rob Demovsky, McCarthy discussed his tenure and what’s ahead for him and his program.

You’ve lived in Green Bay for a year-and-a-half now. Have you made any friends outside of the organization and are you dating anyone?

“I’ve always kept my personal life very private in the past, and I think it’s prepared me for the fishbowl environment that I now live in. I’ve made some new friends and have been reacquainted with some old friends that I made here in 1999. To answer the second part of your question, yes, I am involved in a relationship.”

What do you like to do when you get some free time away from football?

“You’re the only guy who asks me about my personal life. But every chance I get, I go down to Texas to see my daughter or she’ll come up here. We try to make sure we don’t go longer than a month without seeing each other, and she’ll get up here for the games. Outside of that, maybe go up to Sturgeon Bay and do a little boating. I enjoy playing golf over there at Oneida, but you never get to do those things enough.”

Now for the football questions. Have you been on the job long enough for the team to have taken on your personality, and if so, how do you think that has shown up?

“Yes, I think I have. Today was the perfect illustration of that. I can’t tell you how many guys we had in here on their day off. I got a chance to visit with Brett for quite some time. The running back group was all here. The receiver group was all here. You run into guys in the training room, working out and so forth. The importance of preparation, the working environment, the communication — that was something I definitely wanted to improve on. I go back to the intensity part of it. The way we practice and the way we attack games now, it’s starting to look like the way we want it to look. I think there’s definitely a lot of aspects of our program that’s starting to look the way it needs to look.”

What was the toughest decision or decisions you had to make regarding this football team this season?

“The personnel decisions are tough because there’s such a personal element to that. When you see guys like Noah Herron get hurt, that’s not good for anybody. The toughest things to me are the players, when you have to let go of players. I hated to see Shaun Bodiford go. To me, that’s the hardest part.”

How much faith do you have in this defense, and what makes you think the communication problems that you had last year are a thing of the past?

“The communication, I can only go off of what I see, and the communication in practice and just the four preseason games is much better than it was last year. There’s a comfort level there. There’s a continuity there. They’re just talking all the time. You can really hear it on the practice field. That part of it is very evident that it’s improved. The thing about our defense is, being an offensive guy and competing against defenses, the reason I went with this scheme is because if you have the ability and the playmakers that I feel we do have, our particular scheme really has an |ability to choke an offense. We get up there, and we’re not trying to contain you. We’re trying to choke you. That’s how I believe the game’s supposed to be played in all three phases. That’s why I believe in the scheme.”

Do you have any idea if this is Brett Favre’s last season, and would you like to know how much longer he intends to play?

“I don’t know if it’s his last season, and I won’t even think about it until after the season. Those are after-the-season questions. When you’re in it, you’re in it to win the next game. Now his case is different, frankly, because it’s a lot of the outsiders that always stir it up. The first time we talked about it last year was the week of the Detroit game or Chicago game, I think it was before the last game, and we just talked about how we’re going to handle it as we went forward.”

You’re in Year 2 of a three-year contract. If the team does well this year, at what point do you or your agent look to get an extension done?

“I’m not even thinking about it, and frankly, it would never even be a source of conversation. I don’t believe coaches’ contracts need to play a part in it. To me, it’s bigger than that. It’s about the team. It’s about what’s going on every day. I won’t even think about that until the season’s over.”

You’ve made it a priority to get off to a fast start this season. What gives you hope that will happen?

“Everyone wants to start fast. I think a big part of starting fast is two factors: one, health; two, how you go about your everyday business. The key to starting fast is getting into a rhythm and a continuity. Every football team is trying to get to that. I think you see signs of it during the preseason. I think our defense is clearly ahead of the offense as far as their rhythm and clicking. That’s something that you’ve got to feel as you go on, but we’re not as healthy as maybe we’d like to be, but that won’t factor in. Our focus is clearly to get off to a fast start and get to playing at the highest level we can early in the season. You want to peak at the end of the season, but you don’t want to start where we started last year.”

You lost Ahman Green, and the only running back you have with any NFL experience is Vernand Morency, so do you have enough weapons in the backfield to have a successful running game?

“I think so. My backfield concerns are more medical than anything. The only concerns I have about our running backs is the health. It’s all about that availability and accountability. If those guys are out there practicing every day, that’s where the continuity and everything gets intact. My only concern is the health, and we will definitely improve as time goes on.”

So given those health issues, who is your starter on Sunday?

“Well, I’ll just say this, (especially) in Week 1, the only negative I have with you guys is all the questions about availability. We do have some uncertainty. I’m not going to say it’s going to win the game for us, but (the uncertainty) helps us on game day. Next week it’s different, because it’s been established.”

You’ve said several times during the preseason that you’re not as worried about the running game as some people on the outside are. Why is that?

“Part of it is the result of the way I’ve called some games. The biggest part of running the football is you’ve got to commit to it. There aren’t too many teams that just go out and run for 150 yards by only running it 15 or 20 times. A big part of running the football is the attitude and things like that. They’re coached with the right attitude to run, but they haven’t been given the opportunity to go pound a defense for four quarters. The way games will be played in the future and the way they turn out, to me, has as much to do with it as the execution. When you run the football can factor into how well you do run it, so part of it is, when the criticism comes, I’ll take some |responsibility for that just because of the way the games have gone. There were different things we had to look at. I’ve got an older quarterback with younger receivers, and when you call those games, you’ve got different factors going on. The other part of it is the run game is as much about the medical issues as anything. The consistency and continuity with that runner and that run blocking unit — that’s what you need. I think Brandon Jackson’s had a good chunk of change there, but outside of him, who else has reps? Noah Herron had a bunch of reps, and he’s out. (Morency) has missed a bunch of training camp, and DeShawn has missed a bunch, too. We’re just finding out about (Ryan Grant).”

I get e-mails all the time from fans begging Ted Thompson to do more in free agency. Do you ever wish he would be more aggressive when it comes to acquiring players through trades or free agency and scrap his build-through-the-draft approach?

“I think from a philosophical outlook, Ted’s been given an unfair criticism there. He’s like all of us. He has a job to do. When you put together your board, you have a free-agency board and a draft board, and we talk about those guys all the time. You’ve got to make decisions. To sit there and say we didn’t do anything, and it’s no different than winning games. If you don’t win the game, people don’t want to hear about how hard we worked. It’s the same thing in free agency. They don’t want to hear about how hard you looked at it. I can honestly say that I never felt, ‘Why in God’s name didn’t we get that guy?’ There’s some guys that didn’t work out for whatever reason that you might have liked to have, but there was never a time where I felt like, ‘C’mon, we’ve got to get that guy.’ I’m very comfortable in the partnership that we’ve formed and the communication and whole process there. All I can tell fans is, trust me, we’re getting better. You might not see it, but we’re getting better. And maybe next year, we’ll feel better about the free-agency market.”

Given the grand scheme of things in the NFC, how realistic is it to think you guys can make the playoffs and possibly make some noise in the postseason?

“I think it’s realistic to make the playoffs. It’s really irrelevant to even talk about it. It’s something that we’re definitely striving for, and it’s part of our long-term goals. We’re not shy about it. We want to win the world’s championship in Glendale, Ariz., this year. I make no bones about that, but I’m not going to sit here and keep waving the flag, because that’s not what’s important right now. The most important thing is Philadelphia, and that’s where the focus needs to be. I clearly believe, a lot like last year, that if we take care of business early in the season, play smart football, don’t beat ourselves, win the games that we have an opportunity to win and continue to improve as a football team. I think, like I did last year walking off that field in Chicago, if we could have gotten into the playoffs, who knows what would have happened? We were a good football team. It doesn’t mean anything, because we didn’t make it. But we came together at the right time.”

vince
09-08-2007, 06:44 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd love to be able to see him in action on a daily basis, but from all indications I've seen, I like Mike McCarthy as the leader of this team.

He's tough-minded, determined, confident, smart, has a vision, and a single-minded focus on achieving it. He knows what it takes day in and day out, and is absolutely committed to doing everything necessary to get there.

He could be more personable in his relations with the press, but based on the way he approaches his interviews and press conferences, I think he sees press relations as being of secondary importance. He understands the importance of the fans, but he knows what the fans want most - a winner - and that requires his relentless dedication to the team. He understands that dealing with the press is required because they're his mouthpiece to the fans, but I think he sees that part of the job as a necessary evil. He's all business with the press, which doesn't score him any points. I think that's because it's something that's not conducive to his personality, but his personality is conducive to doing what it takes to win football games. When I read these articles, I enjoyed reading the answers from a FOOTBALL COACH, our coach, rather than a public relations specialist. He's in the right place for him here, and he knows it.

From these interviews, reading about the players working on their off-days, and from seeing the growth of this team, I think it's clear that he's earned the respect of his players, and this football team is taking on the personality he wants it to. He also knows the game of football with the best of them, and knows how to coach that into his players. He's proven to be an effective teacher, and a perfect fit for this young team.

I think it's legitimate to give him an incomplete on his in-game play-calling, simply because it IS incomplete - with this team anyway. His years directing some of the league's best offenses in New Orleans in particular, proves he has what it takes from a game-planning and play-calling perspective to move an offense.

He made some mistakes with this new squad last year, and the players did as well, but that's going to happen in the learning process with veterans and first-year players alike in first-year systems under new coaches. The dynamics of getting 11 highly interdependent players and a new coaching staff working in sync within new systems simply takes time and repetition. But to his credit, McCarthy doesn't make that an excuse either.

McCarthy delegates effectively, and while some of the people he relies upon let him down at times last year, he made the adjustments to correct the problems as he continuously learned about the coaches and team and how they perform within the framework of their systems.

While he does the work necessary to be fully prepared, he's not afraid to go with his gut. He has good instincts and isn't afraid to take risks.

Now we get to see how this all translates into wins and losses this year. Hopefully the team can be healthy, which is a huge wild card. If they can, Mike McCarthy's team will prove itself to be heading in the right direction under his tutelage. It's clear that he certainly has no doubt about it, which is where it all starts.

Rastak
09-08-2007, 07:43 AM
He's tough-minded, determined, confident, smart, has a vision, and a single-minded focus on achieving it. He knows what it takes day in and day out, and is absolutely committed to doing everything necessary to get there.

He could be more personable in his relations with the press, but he sees press relations as being of secondary importance. He understands the importance of the fans, but he knows what the fans want most - a winner - and that requires his relentless dedication to the team.

Damn, I can almost see the flag waving in the background and hear The Battle Hymn of the Republic playing. Now come clean Vince, you're really MM in disguise, right? Hey Mad, can you trace his IP address to 1265 Lombardi?

:lol:

RashanGary
09-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Q. If the bottom falls out in 2007 and the Packers sink back to something like 4-12, is it possible you might be out of a job?

A. I don't think that way. Your body of work is judged, No. 1, on wins and losses. No. 2, you've got to look at the substance of the work. Ted and I are building a championship program. We're not trying to do a quick fix and win everything in one year. Now we need to stay on that course and overcome the obstacles we are going to encounter. Right now, it's medical. We'll build a championship program.

I like the way he phrases this.

Q. During your brief tenure the Packers seem improved at wide receiver, offensive line, quarterback, defensive line, linebacker and cornerback thanks to player procurement and player development, but running back has gotten worse. You're going into a season relying on a third-year junior in Brandon Jackson, someone who has never started in Vernand Morency and a seventh-round draft choice in DeShawn Wynn, among others. You must have seen trouble ahead with this group when camp opened. How in the world can you have a balanced offense with perhaps the worst bunch of backs in the league?

A. I'm not as concerned with their youth and inexperience. I think Brandon Jackson's development has been very obvious. If he stays healthy, I think we'll all be happy with his productivity. He's instinctive. He has a very strong lower half. He can get in and out of his breaks. He's doing a lot better job with one-cut decision-making. (Vernand) Morency only got better last year. I've had Deuce McAllister, Ricky Williams, Frank Gore. I'm not going to say DeShawn Wynn is better than those guys but the guy understands football. He picks up protections very well. He could be a very good player.

I always had the feeling that Wynn was MM's guy. He's talented, I see that, but the guy has underachieved everywhere he's gone. I'm not too upset that they gave him a shot, he might pan out, but if he doesn't I hope they have the wisdom to cut ties. If MM sticks with a lazy dud too long the way Sherman did with Hunt then I will be pissed. As for now, we'll have to wait and see

Q. You came in talking like a coach hell-bent on running the ball after having had a run rate of 43.2% in New Orleans and 49.5% in San Francisco, yet the Packers ran merely 39.7% in '06 despite having an established runner like Ahman Green for 14 games. Did you drop the ball? Or are you finding out the zone scheme isn't what it's cracked up to be?

A. It's neither. To score points in this league you need to throw the ball. I think anybody would agree on that. To commit to the run for me would be around 44%, 45%. If you want to pound the football and play good defense, that's where I was with the Saints in '01, we were 49% run. We had a number of games last year we were behind. I'll say this. Brett threw it more last year than you like but I'll do whatever it takes to win.

I liked this because it shows that he's willing to take whatever is given and he's open to being flexible here. I think this will make us unpredictable

Q. Scouts for other teams are finding it hard to believe that James Jones can be this good this early. As a coach, what's it like to find a wide receiver like this in the third round? Does his performance give you and your coaches even more confidence in the personnel department?

A. We were all in agreement on James Jones. Jimmy Robinson was very excited about him when we drafted him. He's going to be a fine player. He's exactly what you saw on film. I've been wrong before. Some people just need to admit they were wrong. He has short-area quickness. He really separates well from people.

hahaha, he basically told any scout who says that, that they were wrong :) That was good

vince
09-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Damn, I can almost see the flag waving in the background and hear The Battle Hymn of the Republic playing. Now come clean Vince, you're really MM in disguise, right? Hey Mad, can you trace his IP address to 1265 Lombardi?

That would be OK with me, Ras... I wouldn't mind being at 1265 every day...

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-08-2007, 08:50 AM
We should of franchised tagged AG.

MJZiggy
09-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Why would we have done that???

Brandon494
09-08-2007, 08:53 AM

I always had the feeling that Wynn was MM's guy. He's talented, I see that, but the guy has underachieved everywhere he's gone. I'm not too upset that they gave him a shot, he might pan out, but if he doesn't I hope they have the wisdom to cut ties. If MM sticks with a lazy dud too long the way Sherman did with Hunt then I will be pissed. As for now, we'll have to wait and see

They didnt keep Wynn because he is MM's guy. They kept him because of the injuries we have at RB and for the fact that he did pretty well in his only preseason game. You have to remember the Titans kept their starters and Wynn was running with the backups.

Patler
09-08-2007, 09:09 AM
The first 10 questions related to either MM's contract or his relationship with TT, all before he asked a real football question to the head coach. Many weren't questions as much as statements by the interviewer in which he asked MM to confirm the interviewers opinion. Sort of like a cross-examination.

Example: "One of the least desirable situations for any coach is trying to operate in the final year of a contract. Would you want to do that? Can you foresee any way the Packers would ask you to do that?" The answer must presume the statement is correct. When MM says he doesn't care, the reader almost has to presume he really does care, because after all "it is one of the least desirable situations for ANY coach..." But that is the interviewers opinion, not MM's.

I think reporters make too much of a big deal about the "lame-duck" status of a coach. They complained about that with Sherman, then complained when he was extended, then emphasized the stupidity of the extension when he was fired.

Some of the questions really are none of our business, yet at this point. He is just starting year 2 of a 3 year contract. Did he really thing they would have started negotiations for an extension? Should TT have done it already, or wait to see at least how year 2 starts? Is it any of our business what MM has told his agent at this point. These types of questions, while perhaps being relevant next summer, are pointless now because:

1. Its unlikely you will get any answer than, "Everything is fine, I'm not worried about that yet. I'm just here to do my job, blah, blah, blah."

2. Simply asking the question, as if it is important, raises controversy regardless of what the answer or the situation is. Either they are or they aren't talking. If they aren't, the implications are the Packers have no faith in him, and his is being put on the spot. If they are talking, the Packers are fools for extending an inexperienced and unproven head coach.

The first 10 questions could have and should have been reduced to 3 or 4, at most. Right now they are not important, and they shouldn't be made to look like they are. Save them until they are important.

MJZiggy
09-08-2007, 09:15 AM
I thought that once he gave a 4-line answer about how he isn't worried about his contract, that McGinn might have figured out from past interviewing experience that if he says he isn't worried about it, he isn't gonna talk about it. Evidently he hasn't learned that yet. Maybe after this interview?

Scott Campbell
09-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Every time Chilly speaks they have to knock another buck of the Vikes ticket prices.

I'll take our guy.

Patler
09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I thought that once he gave a 4-line answer about how he isn't worried about his contract, that McGinn might have figured out from past interviewing experience that if he says he isn't worried about it, he isn't gonna talk about it. Evidently he hasn't learned that yet. Maybe after this interview?

My impression was that he started the interview with a goal of finding controversy between MM and the organization or more likely between MM and TT. He tried to ask enough questions to get SOMETHING he could later use as evidence of a controversy.

Bretsky
09-08-2007, 09:30 AM

Not sure what the salary we'd have had to give him for a franchise RB would be, but we are 13 Million under the cap.

I'm not sure you franchise him, but if you want to win now it buys him another year to develop the youngyans who might not be ready yet.

On the other hand, he could have just got it done before FA; but we've beaten that one to death already :lol:

Packnut
09-08-2007, 09:31 AM
All I ask from MM is to NOT call a freakin slant on 1st and goal from the 1

vince
09-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Deleted - not sure what happened, but I edited my original post and it reposted it as new...

RashanGary
09-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I agree, Patler.

He could have asked more open ended questions. Give McCarthy some oppertunites to talk and let his ideas out. You never know, if you let a guy talk and make him feel comfortable you might have a guy start spilling things that he's proud of or things that he's unsure of.

When you go in and make assertions and then set up a situation where all the coach can do is defend the assertions, then you end up in a situation like what we have here and you get very little meaningfull dialog. McGinn probably thinks he's a hard hitter and that he's a bad ass. Not the case, I'm affraid. I've seen many really strong and well reasoned posters have very negative views of McGinns interview tactics. I could care less if you want to dig up the dirty, that is their job, but he's not doing a very good job getting it.

Maxie the Taxi
09-08-2007, 09:42 AM
A. I'm very comfortable with my salary. I'm blessed to have this position. To sit there and complain about what you make, you'll never hear me do that.

Talk about old school!

Patler
09-08-2007, 09:46 AM

Not sure what the salary we'd have had to give him for a franchise RB would be, but we are 13 Million under the cap.

$6.999 million for RBs in 2007.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2007, 12:37 PM
I believe the Packers went after FAs they didn't get, so I doubt they expected to be $13M under the cap when they didn't match the 4y/$26M contract that Houston gave Ahman.

If the OL doesn't block, it doesn't matter if we have Ahman in his prime. Those guys need to improve in year 2. Ahman averaged 4.0 yards/carry last year. I'll be interested to see what Brandon Jackson averages this year.

Bretsky
09-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I believe the Packers went after FAs they didn't get, so I doubt they expected to be $13M under the cap when they didn't match the 4y/$26M contract that Houston gave Ahman.

If the OL doesn't block, it doesn't matter if we have Ahman in his prime. Those guys need to improve in year 2. Ahman averaged 4.0 yards/carry last year. I'll be interested to see what Brandon Jackson averages this year.

Bottom line is we didn't make it happen in FA, whether we tried or not. I would be a bit curious as to what decently high priced FA's we went after; from what I've read they were all third tier type guys.

Regardless, what's done is done and we have what we have with 13,000,000 in cap space

Key is the OL and I'd completely agree with that

vince
09-08-2007, 03:47 PM
More from Coach McCarthy. Looks like he's made himself available this week for one-on-one interviews for any and all takers...

He sure is a straight shooter. He seemed a little edgy at times in this interview. He's gotta be relieved they're over...

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/227994

Packers: McCarthy expects the best
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY — The PR machine that is the NFL sends out a booklet before each season kicks off full of nuggets to promote itself as the most popular sport in America. This year's had two interesting headlines within the first three pages.

The NFL: Unpredictable!

The NFL: More exciting than ever!

Below those screaming headlines, some pretty interesting information followed.

Seven of the 12 teams that made the playoffs in 2006 were not in the playoffs in 2005. That marked the 11th straight season in which at least five teams qualified for the postseason after staying home the previous year. And three teams — Baltimore, New Orleans and Philadelphia — won their divisions after finishing last in the division a year earlier.

Did you catch that, Green Bay Packers fans?

It is against this it's-anybody's-ballgame backdrop that the Packers open their second season under Mike McCarthy Sunday at Lambeau Field against Philadelphia. And McCarthy, while unwilling to make any predictions about his team, believes it has as good a chance as anybody to end up in Glendale, Ariz., in Super Bowl XLII.

"The vision has been confirmed, the course we're taking. Our program is in place, the foundation is set, and we need to start seeing the dividends," McCarthy said. "You're never going to get me to talk about wins or losses, because I do not view it that way. I don't think there's a football coach alive that's ever gone into a game let alone a season and just said you hope you do this, you hope to do that. We're trying to win every football game.

"We're going to win the world championship here in Green Bay again. That's the view, that's the vision. We've made progress towards that goal, and we need to continue to have those small successes as we build toward that goal, and that's the way I view it."

While realism would tell you that the goal won't be achieved this year, McCarthy isn't conceding anything. Last week, he sat down for an extended question-and-answer session in his office. An edited transcript of that conversation follows.

WSJ: At your training camp-opening news conference, when you were asked where the offensive improvement would come from, your response was, "From within." Then, you added, "That's what I'm selling — doesn't look like you're buying it." After the way camp played out, why should people buy that now?

Mike McCarthy: Because I definitely feel like we have some talented young players here that are only going to improve. And I think they have improved. I think we made a lot of progress throughout training camp. The injuries at the running back can create concern, that's understandable, but also it gave some young players a lot of opportunities they wouldn't have had. The development of Brandon Jackson was pushed even further ahead than it would be in a normal training-camp environment. I think our tight end group has improved, just the confidence they're playing with. The offensive line is clearly better than it was last year at this time, and I think our receiver group is much improved. And now we add James Jones to that bunch, and Greg Jennings just has to stay healthy, because he's an up-and-coming young player. On defense, it's pretty much the same guys, and how can you argue with the confidence and intensity they're playing with? So I definitely feel our football team has improved, and it's come from within.

WSJ: At running back, you go into the opener with a guy who missed all of training camp with a knee injury (Vernand Morency), two rookies who also missed parts of camp with injuries (Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn) and a guy you got in a trade on cut-down day (Ryan Grant). What makes you think you can have success running the ball with that group?

MM: How much time did it take you to make that question sound so positive? (Laughs.) I tell you, my only concern with the running back group is the medical condition of it. Because a big part of their performance is illustrated by their availability. If Morency would have taken all his snaps, I wouldn't be concerned about him. Brandon I'm excited about because I see a young, talented player that's improving all the time. DeShawn Wynn could be that same type of guy. He's a very talented, instinctive player who just needs to play. I feel good about the way we're going into the game and what we're asking them to do. We need to put them in positions to be successful, and I feel we have a good plan to do that (against the Eagles).

WSJ: You said the other day that your ideal way to play is to run it 55 times and hold the ball for 40 minutes. Last year, though, Brett Favre threw a career-high 613 passes. With your running backs and your quarterback, what's more realistic?

MM: To me, when you put together an offensive scheme, the scheme has to have the flexibility to take advantage of all your players. And then, who are you playing? How does your offense match up against their defense, and what's it going to take to beat that team? What is the path, the course you're going to take to win that football game? That's how we'll view every game.

WSJ: You have one of the youngest teams in the league for the second straight year, with an average age of 25.7 and 28 rookies, first- or second-year players. And yet that doesn't seem to faze you at all.

MM: They're well-coached.

WSJ: Good one.

MM: I wasn't kidding. But that's the challenge of it. I think we're doing a really good job of that, just with what we've done from Year 1 to Year 2. I think it's very obvious that there's improvement going on throughout the football team. Look at the defensive back group, the young safeties and young corners. (Defensive tackle) Johnny Jolly. Our offensive linemen. Greg Jennings. Aaron Rodgers. The program is in place to take these young players and develop them at a quick rate. That's where we are right now. I can't change the youth of our football team. I'm just trying to take advantage of it. There's a lot of positives to being young, too.

WSJ: Like?

MM: They don't have bad habits. What they don't have in experience they make up for it with a little bit of blind faith, unconditional trust, doing it the right way. There's positives to youth.

WSJ: So you've talked a lot about getting Favre to take fewer risks and manage the game more. Coaches have wanted him to do that forever. What makes you think you and your staff will actually get him to do that?

MM: First of all, it's the responsibility of the quarterback. As far as risk, Brett's responsibility is to run the offense — keep himself in the best-available-play mindset, and then execute. That's what he does best. When you get outside the box and do things you may have done before because you had this guy and that guy, that's not in our best interest. He's a very bright football player. He has a ton of knowledge (and) an experience level that's second-to-none. There's so much to tap into.

WSJ: How much of your philosophy of reining Favre in is related to how good you think your defense will be?

MM: The thing about Brett, more than anybody I've ever coached, you can't jump up and applaud him when he makes that keyhole throw and say, "Man, what a great throw." And I think that's happened a lot to him. "That's a phenomenal throw." Frankly, he made a throw in the Seattle game that he had no business throwing, and it was a touchdown. So everyone's all high-fiving him and this and that, and I said, "You got away with one there." And he's like, "Ride me, dog. Ride me. I'm hot." And I'm like, "Hot my (expletive)." It's important to be in-tune with that. He can make those throws, but he doesn't need to try to do that all the time. Maybe there was a point he had to do that. I don't know; I wasn't here. The guy can still throw the football very accurately, as instinctively as anybody playing. His ability to put the ball in tight spots is very good. The one thing he can do to clearly change our offense is, if we rise our completion percentage to 63 percent-plus, and we cut those interceptions down, we're going to get a lot of production from the passing game. Because the one thing this team can do on offense is throw the football.

WSJ: The four-game winning streak at the end of the year last year to finish 8-8 raised expectations. Is it fair for fans to expect you to win 10 games this year and make the playoffs?

MM: We have an obligation to the fans to make sure we put a team on the field they can be proud of and buy into, as far as expectations. All I can tell you is we're building off what we accomplished last year. We've ridden the wave through the offseason program, through training camp. This football team is improving. I'm trying to win them all. That's what I give you. I'm not going to predict how many games we win. I'll be disappointed if we don't win enough of them to put us in position to get to Arizona (for Super Bowl XLII). That's my outlook. And I think it's a cop-out to stand in front of the football team and say it's OK to do enough to get you another opportunity.

WSJ: You tried a few different things in camp — no practices on Wednesdays, taking a non-traditional approach to the final two preseason games. How much of the reasoning behind that was the need for a fast start after this team has started each of the last three seasons 1-4?

MM: No. 1, the Wednesdays off, we did work on Wednesdays. We just didn't practice. Everybody thinks I had this big, soft camp up here. It cracks me up, because I thought it was a pretty physical camp. The preseason games, I felt like I had to because of all the injuries. I really feel like it's a credit to being in-tune with the pulse of your football team. That's my job, and that's how I go about it. There's two different ways of being a head coach as far as how much interaction you have with your team, and I need to be down there amongst them and have my finger on the pulse. The training-camp schedule was a quote-unquote "big risk," but it was something I felt very comfortable about. I'll be honest with you: I didn't even ask anybody opinion on it. I just did it. I didn't call a single head coach and ask them what they thought. Because I knew that, based on the conversations I had with people in the strength-and-conditioning community, that that was the best thing for my football team. I talked to Ted about it, and he was in favor of it because he doesn't want to get anybody hurt. But I felt very confident in doing it, and we're going to do it moving forward because it worked. It's a good idea that worked. And I feel good about that.

WSJ: Your predecessor, Mike Sherman, had a lot of success here, but a lot of people in this building thought he was too serious and too uptight. You said last year that it was your understanding that there was an "environment of tension" around here under him. Is it important to have a little fun? Because your players seem to have responded to that approach.

MM: I had someone ask me the other day about being "laid-back." I said, "My god, laid-back? I've never considered myself laid-back." I've always thought I'd be classified as an aggressive coach, as far as the way you work your players and teach your meetings. I don't know Mike Sherman very well. The times I have been around him, I found him to be a personable, nice guy. But I've never worked with him. I know some people are different at work than they are away from work. I'll just say this: This is an incredible opportunity, but more importantly, it's an opportunity I feel I fit. I have great respect for the chair of being the head coach of the Green Bay Packers. I fully understand that. But I feel like I fit here. And the resources Bob Harlan and Ted Thompson have given me have allowed me to be myself. To say that I have fun at this job, yeah, I enjoy every second of it. I love the tough decisions, I embrace the tough conversations, because I know that's my responsibility, and I take the tougher things head-on because I know that's in the best interest of our football team. When things come up. So, what, you're saying I'm having a great time?

WSJ: It just seems like, for a lot of people, it's a little more fun to be around here than it was before.

MM: I'll say this: We've put a lot of time, a lot of conversation, into it. There were definitely walls in this organization when I got here. No doubt about that. And how they were built, you'd know more about that than I would. I felt those walls had to come down. I felt the communication had to be open. To create growth, you have to have an environment that gives you a chance to grow. Beating people down and negative reinforcement works, but it's a short-term solution. I'm not trying to win 'em all just this year, I'm trying to win 'em all every year. That's what we're trying to get done here. It's the program we're trying to build. So if it seems that way, I take that as a compliment, because that's the way we want it. It's a hard-working, positive environment that our players want to be around.

WSJ: You seem to still be a quarterbacks coach at heart, so how much satisfaction do you take in what you saw from Aaron Rodgers this preseason, and how comfortable are you with him as the starter in 2008, or whenever Favre finally steps aside?

MM: Well, I am a quarterbacks coach at heart, but (offensive line coaches James) Campen and (Jerry) Fontenot would tell you I'm really a wannabe line coach. I love offensive line play, and I love that position. Those guys don't get enough credit. But I take a lot of satisfaction in Aaron Rodgers' success, because it's nice to see a young man do that, particularly in his situation. That's a hard chair to sit in, following Brett. But I think (quarterbacks coach) Tom Clements has done a phenomenal job, and Aaron, he's more comfortable in his own skin and (his place) in this organization. Honestly, he's only going to get better. He's a talented young man. He's playing out-of-the-pocket so much better than he did last year, he's better in his decision-making, he's not always trying to make the "big throw" all the time. He's learned to take the completions and run the offense. I'm very happy with him. He's the future of our franchise, so his development is very important.

WSJ: A lot was made of what this team didn't add in the offseason. How comfortable are you with the roster you take into the opener?

MM: I'm very comfortable. The only thing I worry about is injuries. And it's really a short-term worry because it affects my game-plan. I don't concern myself with injuries over the long term because you can't control them. The only thing I ever worry about is, is he available or is he not available? There's nothing worse than someone saying he's OK and then you prepare all week for him to play in the game and then in pregame he goes, "I can't go." Everybody wants to talk about the running backs. They're talented young guys who we need to put in position to be successful, but I just want to know who's playing and how much. That's the only concern I have. Then it's our job to create that situation and it's their job to perform. Really, it's no more than that.

WSJ: Last thing. The public perception of this team, based on that lack of offseason moves, would seem to be different than what you think this team is going to do.

MM: What is the public perception?

WSJ: I think they want to believe that you guys are going to be better than you were last season, but you haven't given them much reason to think that'll happen. You signed Frank Walker in free agency, and that's it. So is this team better than people think? Are you going to surprise some people?

MM: I hope so, if they don't think we're going to be that good. I definitely think we're a team that's better than we were last year. Now, that doesn't mean anything. We've got to play the games. But I definitely feel like this is a team that's better than it was last year and has a chance to grow into something that we'll talk about for a long time. Now, if we can get from here to there, time will tell. But I'm excited about our young guys. I am. I know what the weaknesses are. And we need to try to improve on those. We've got to stay true to who we are and stay on course. There is a way to win the world's championship. We've got to find that path. And that's really staying true to our strengths. I believe that in my heart. To me, this is not a talent business. This is a character business. This is a people business. We have a lot of talent on our football team. So does every other team. But that's not what's going to win the game. It's the toughness and the character to overcome the hurdles that will be presented to us. That's how we'll win. It has nothing to do with our physical ability.

RashanGary
09-08-2007, 04:59 PM
I liked that one a little better than McGinns. McGinn asked questions that only had one possible answer. This guy asked a couple of those but he also let MM ramble and in that rambling, we got some sneak peaks.

I personally love how he says he is going to be flexible as far as putting his guys in position that fits their strengths. I'm a big fan of flexibility. I also like how it sounds like the Mike Sherman office of doom has been replaced iwth open communication. That is good to hear.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2007, 09:25 PM
MM: They're well-coached.

Nice!

esoxx
09-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Regardless, what's done is done and we have what we have with 13,000,000 in cap space

Since they cut Ferguson isn't it around $15,0000?

Ah, who's keeping track anyhow.