PDA

View Full Version : Woodson contract - very interesting details

Patler
05-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Woodson's contract has some very interesting provisions:

"Woodson also will receive a substantial reward if he stays healthy in each of the final five years of the deal. From 2007 until the final year of 2011, he’ll receive a $56,000 roster bonus each week he’s on the team’s 45-man game-day roster. That means he can make $896,000 a season if he’s activated for every game. He also can earn a $100,000 workout bonus each season from 2007 to 2011."

A WEEKLY roster bonus! Very clever way to deal with an elite player that has a significant injury history. I really like it. If he is hurt, he is paid less. Plus, it gives a built in salary cap "hole" from which the team can pay a replacement. For every week he is hurt, the team has $56,000 available for a replacement player. If Woodson goes on IR, the money is there for a replacement, even without saving cap space to do it.. I really like this!

Here's the article:

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25858694.shtml

Anti-Polar Bear
05-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Well, for anybody who said Woodson got absolutely no signing bonus, here's the facts (same source):

"The new deal pays him a $4 million signing bonus, which will count about $667,000 against the Packers’ salary cap in each of the six years of the contract. The rest of the $6.54 million Woodson will make this year counts against this year’s cap: a $4.35 million roster bonus, a $1.5 million base salary, and a $53,000 workout bonus. That gives him a salary-cap figure this year of about $7.2 million."

Patler
05-03-2006, 06:32 AM
Well, for anybody who said Woodson got absolutely no signing bonus, here's the facts (same source):

"The new deal pays him a $4 million signing bonus, which will count about $667,000 against the Packers’ salary cap in each of the six years of the contract. The rest of the $6.54 million Woodson will make this year counts against this year’s cap: a $4.35 million roster bonus, a $1.5 million base salary, and a $53,000 workout bonus. That gives him a salary-cap figure this year of about $7.2 million."

The point is, the signing bonus is a relatively small amount in comparison to the package value of the contract. A $35 million contract with only a $4 million signing bonus. If the Packers have to release Woodson a year or two down the road, the cap hit is not significant with respect to the new salary cap. As the article states:

"This structure will pay Woodson $10.36 million this year but allows the Packers to cut him at any time without serious salary-cap consequences in the future if he encounters serious injury problems or has his performance diminish."

VegasPackFan
05-03-2006, 01:56 PM
This is well done contract by TT.

Looks like he is finding ways to bring in a few guys without hamstringing the future too much. 700k each yr to get a player that everyone knows is talented, plus we get downside protection based on his history of injury.

I like that TT is almost customizing the deal based on a players upside and downside potential.

MJZiggy
05-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for telling us what a great contract TT wrote, Tank.

RashanGary
05-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Next season we are going to have a ton of space again. We should beable to keep every player whose contract is expiring and probably fill a few holes with FA's again.

I really hope Brett comes back next season because the Packers should be poised for big things.

Sparkey
05-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Next season we are going to have a ton of space again. We should beable to keep every player whose contract is expiring and probably fill a few holes with FA's again.

I really hope Brett comes back next season because the Packers should be poised for big things.

I think this is great planning by Green Bay. I think any rational person knows that Green Bay was not going to win the Super Bowl this year. However, if their is significant improvement, I would not be suprised to see Favre return for another year. Then, with TT having a better idea of what players he has, he can better add via free agency in 2007 and beyond.

The more I watch how TT handles players, drafting and signings: The more I am confident that the long term good of the franchise is in solid hands.

RashanGary
05-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Is shamrock...Patler????

Rastak
05-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Is shamrock...Patler????

Just call him Shamler or Patrock.

RashanGary
05-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Hmmm...That's gonna be hard to adjust to.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Sweet avartar, Sparkey.

No Mo Moss
05-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Sweet avartar, Sparkey.
Agreed. That pussy is kicking some serious ass.

OS PA
05-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Michigan vs. WSU on ESPN classic right now, some good Woodson highlights. They had a play of him on offense and he completely burned the DB, but the QB underthrew the ball =(.