PDA

View Full Version : Defense and Special Teams!

The Shadow
09-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Who woulda thunk it?

BallHawk
09-09-2007, 03:25 PM
All the Eagles punt returners are going to be looking for jobs tomorrow.

MadtownPacker
09-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Excellent, just outstanding. Did they even give up a first down in the 4th quarter? Seemed like nothing but 3 & outs for the eagles..

Lurker64
09-09-2007, 03:30 PM

Doesn't Kevin Curtis return punts for them, and wasn't he one of the "hot" Free Agent WRs in the off season? I don't think they'll cut him.

MJZiggy
09-09-2007, 03:48 PM

Doesn't Kevin Curtis return punts for them, and wasn't he one of the "hot" Free Agent WRs in the off season? I don't think they'll cut him.

Good. Then he can muff catches for them for the rest of the season.

KYPack
09-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Here is one of the"hidden" areas that Thompson needs to get some credit. We have been 32nd in ST the last two years. The major reason for thiws was our thinb roster. Now we have added talent at WR, DB, & LB, making our spec teams a lot better.

Today, our "special" guys won the game for us. We have more talent on the field in all our bomb squads, & it shows. We got a clutch kikcker and players that will hit the shit out of you. Today, it paid off.

MJZiggy
09-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Today, our "special" guys won the game for us. We have more talent on the field in all our bomb squads, & it shows. We got a clutch kikcker and players that will hit the shit out of you. Today, it paid off.

Let's hear it for the guys in the short bus. Our special teams are once again special!!!

b bulldog
09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
I was thinking the same, this was where all his trading to get more picks has really helped the team.

The Shadow
09-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Boy, having great special teams play makes such a huge difference.
That roster has gotten better and better, and will continue to do so.
And the defense? For the first time in a long while, I wasn't nervous as hell when the opponent had the ball.

vince
09-09-2007, 04:58 PM
The Packers beat the Eagles today because they have more depth than the Eagles. Plain and simple.

The Eagles were/are clearly better 1-11 on offense right now, but the Packers beat them with players 12-45.

That's a credit to the rebuilding and focus on improving the special teams in the off-season.

RashanGary
09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Jarrett Bush was very encouraging. He held his own all day, even when Harris was out. Atari Bigby did a great job too. We might have uncovered the solutions to our pass defense problems.

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Special teams can win or lose 2 games a season for a team (at least that the phrase I've heard repeatedly). We got one today and we needed it.

Fritz
09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
This isn't about wrong or right - just my preference. I'm more comfortable watching the Packers play tough defense as they did today than watching them in the previous era when they could score in the blink of an eye - and so could their opponents. It's just more satisfying to me. Don't know why. I guess it feels like they have a better chance to win that way.

VegasPackFan
09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I agree, Fritz, there is a certain amount of pride in playing a hard hitting style of football.

RashanGary
09-09-2007, 07:25 PM
This isn't about wrong or right - just my preference. I'm more comfortable watching the Packers play tough defense as they did today than watching them in the previous era when they could score in the blink of an eye - and so could their opponents. It's just more satisfying to me. Don't know why. I guess it feels like they have a better chance to win that way.

I agree.

Jarrett Bush and Atari Bigby have to be the two of the most welcome suprises in that game. As bad as the Oline and running game were, Bush and Bigby were equally solid on defense and ST's.

Also, remember, we are a very young team and somewhat deep. Many aging teams will start to wear down as this season progresses and we should get even stronger as young legs hold up better than old legs. We were pretty physical today, but Philly was healthy and physical too. A wins a win, but I think this team can play better and should as the season progresses. Young, physical defenders are my favorite football players. I like these Packers.

Scott Campbell
09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Jolly and Jenkins outperformed expectations today also. Especially in the second half as the game wore on. I was pretty worried about our D in the first half.

FritzDontBlitz
09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
i agree as well. i think the offense will find its rhythm eventually, but its so refreshing to be the team with the formidable defense instead of always being the team that wilted down the stretch from poor d.

by the way. kevin curtis wasnt fielding punts today. the muffs were by greg lewis (packers' td recovery) and j.r. reid (to set up game winning fg). curtis made the big catch to set up philly's first fg.

LL2
09-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Special teams can win or lose 2 games a season for a team (at least that the phrase I've heard repeatedly). We got one today and we needed it.

Very true! Hopefully the offense can win a few and the D will help win the rest.