PDA

View Full Version : post game thoughts on the Offense.

PackerBlues
09-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Not even 50 yards rushing. Barely more than 200 yards recieving. No TD's.

Defense, Special Teams, and a lot of luck won this game for us.

MJZiggy
09-09-2007, 03:52 PM
And they can do the same every game for the rest of the season for all I care. As long as that W shows up each week, they can get it done any way they want.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Very true on all three. But we knew they weren't gonna have the running game together yet. We have to see what they can do throughout the season.

Lurker64
09-09-2007, 03:56 PM
So? They won. Plus they were playing against a good defensive team.

Right now is the time to celebrate the victory, it is not the time to fix the offense.. Tomorrow is the time for Mike McCarthy to fix the offense. But it's not our job to fix the offense, particularly since we just won.

Drink more, and be unhappy less.

MJZiggy
09-09-2007, 04:02 PM
:idea: Drink more. Spectacular idea. :alc:

]{ilr]3
09-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Not even 50 yards rushing. Barely more than 200 yards recieving. No TD's.

Packers had more yard receiving than the eagle though. And total yards rushing for the eagles wasnt great either.

To me this shows that our Defense is as good as we hoped against a very potent offense of the eagles. The eagle defense is also quite good. Yes, our offense needs work. But we got a week one win, against a good team and I feel we can look forward to improvement from the o-line and the running game.

b bulldog
09-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Pblues your correct but sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. Hopefully this won't become a trend, the offensive part.

The Leaper
09-09-2007, 04:04 PM
I will still withhold judgment until everyone gets back to 100%. I think Driver was playing at much less than 100%. No Jennings. No Morency. It was a given our offense would struggle...but they didn't make boneheaded errors that cost the game and made a couple plays at the end when it counted.

Lots of room for improvement though.

The Leaper
09-09-2007, 04:06 PM
{ilr]3]But we got a week one win, against a good team and I feel we can look forward to improvement from the o-line and the running game.

I agree.

You can't overlook that the Eagles are one of the 4 best teams in the NFC...and we played them nose-to-nose for 4 quarters.

MadtownPacker
09-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Packerblues - Why dont you just shut the hell up and enjoy the win? :wink:

GBRulz
09-09-2007, 04:08 PM
OL is what worries me most. The sad part is, the two that I thought we wouldn't have to worry about (Cliffy and Taush) were the ones IMO that played the worst today.

PackerBlues
09-09-2007, 04:12 PM

LOL :glug:

The Eagles do have a tough Defense, and I will give em that. We all knew our running game was a mess going into the game due to injuries, so that will hopefully work itself out. Not having Jennings hurt.

I am very happy to have seen that smile/smirk wiped off of McNobbs face at the end of the game. :twisted:

Other than the problems with the Offense, it was a very fun game to watch. 1-0 going into week two, can't beat that.

(on a side note Mad.....looks like your fantasy team is taking mine to the cleaners, thats bound to add to my frustration, lol.....congrats! :P )

retailguy
09-09-2007, 04:12 PM

That's even what I'm doing.... :wink:

BallHawk
09-09-2007, 04:13 PM
OL is what worries me most. The sad part is, the two that I thought we wouldn't have to worry about (Cliffy and Taush) were the ones IMO that played the worst today.

They're just not fit to play in this scheme.

the_idle_threat
09-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I am very happy to have seen that smile/smirk wiped off of McNobbs face at the end of the game. :twisted:

We are in complete agreement here! :glug:

]{ilr]3
09-09-2007, 04:22 PM

Agreed! 8-)

Also, i wonder how this game will be portrayed by the press. IMO this win is of the same caliber that we lost to the eagle over the last 3 years. (except for last year of corse) Nose to nose, with a few freak plays that changed the game.

PackerBlues
09-09-2007, 04:27 PM
{ilr]3]

Agreed! 8-)

Also, i wonder how this game will be portrayed by the press. IMO this win is of the same caliber that we lost to the eagle over the last 3 years. (except for last year of corse) Nose to nose, with a few freak plays that changed the game.

In the pre-game show I watched, 4 of 4 talking heads picked the Eagles to win. Considering that the Packers won the game without scoring any points on Offense (other than Crosbys FG's), and considering that our Offense will only get better, as with the 1996 Packers, I think this years team will get more respect as the year goes on.

digitaldean
09-09-2007, 04:29 PM

They're just not fit to play in this scheme.

Tausch and Clifton got beat like rented mules on the outside rush today.

That is more than a bit concerning.

vince
09-09-2007, 04:39 PM
{ilr]3]But we got a week one win, against a good team and I feel we can look forward to improvement from the o-line and the running game.

I agree.

You can't overlook that the Eagles are one of the 4 best teams in the NFC...and we played them nose-to-nose for 4 quarters.
GREAT WIN AGAINST A GOOD TEAM!!!!

What a performance by the special teams! It goes to show that special teams really is one third of the game. These guys get after it, and will continue to get better. How about the Crosby show!!!

The defense came up big when they needed it. After some adjustments, I think this defense is going to be everything it's been touted as being. Bigby looks very active and is a big upgrade over Manuel. If Collins could have grabbed that one in his hands, it would have been an even bigger performance.

This offense was obviously pretty pathetic today, and that was due mostly to the blocking problems. It was surprising that both Clifton and Tauscher both had problems - not just in the run game, but with rushers beating them around the edge. That's where they are supposed to excel. There's much to build on, and they'll get better.

This win would appear to be a sign of things to come. The defense will keep us in the games, and hopefully more often than not - there'll be just enough offense to get the job done. That'll have to be more than they got today though.

Win ugly baby!

RashanGary
09-09-2007, 04:40 PM
They won, that's good. However, their offense was horrible. Philly has always had our number so it might be temporary, but that is about as unsatisfactory of a win as it gets.

They have a lot of work to do in the run game. One thing I noticed, and I know I keep bringing this up, but they didn't cut block AGAIN and after the game when I was on my way home from my brothers, I heard Scott Wells say that they are going to the ground causes a build up and they do not want that. Funny, ever zone scheme cuts but now the Packers want to run zone but not cut. Either they are football geniuses and they found a way to do somehting nobody else does or they are completely screwing up and taking away a technique that is detrimental to their run scheme. I think ti's the later and I'm very concerned.

packinpatland
09-09-2007, 04:40 PM
So? They won. Plus they were playing against a good defensive team.

Right now is the time to celebrate the victory, it is not the time to fix the offense.. Tomorrow is the time for Mike McCarthy to fix the offense. But it's not our job to fix the offense, particularly since we just won.

Drink more, and be unhappy less.

Good idea...............I'm exhaused after this one!

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Great win. I'm very happy. I'd rather an ugly win agaisnt a very good team thay is healthy than a pretty loss.

The Shadow
09-09-2007, 04:41 PM
And they can do the same every game for the rest of the season for all I care. As long as that W shows up each week, they can get it done any way they want.

You are absolutely right.
Can you believe the negativity addicts are complaining about the way we won?
Unfrigginievable!!!!!!!!!!!

RashanGary
09-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Great win. I'm very happy. I'd rather an ugly win agaisnt a very good team thay is healthy than a pretty loss.

Good point. We were blown out by playoff teams last year. We were competetive and won with a couple good bounces.

BallHawk
09-09-2007, 04:44 PM
JH, you need to go out to the store and buy some Kool-Aid. After the record amount you consumed in the off-season, I fear that you may have run out.

:wink:

RashanGary
09-09-2007, 04:45 PM
If the run game is that bad next week, I'm worried. I'm not going to freak out and jump off any tall buildings, but that run game was worse than I imagined it would be.

oregonpackfan
09-09-2007, 04:46 PM
A win is a win is a win!

Yes, it was an "Ugly" win but it was important for a number of reasons:

1. Packers won a home opener.

2. Packers may start to bring back the advantage of playing at home in Lambeau(they were a pathetic 10-15 at home before this game).

3. Packers finally beat the Eagles--a team they have consistently lost to since the horrendous "4th and 26" nightmare.

Rejoice in this win, Packer fans! :)

PackerBlues
09-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha.......things could be worse, just think if we had the bears offense. :mrgreen:

Just wondering, is K-Rob due back anytime soon, and does anyone really think he would provide much of an impact if he were?

BallHawk
09-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Just wondering, is K-Rob due back anytime soon, and does anyone really think he would provide much of an impact if he were?

He can applu for reinstatement around Mid September, I believe.

Willard
09-09-2007, 06:16 PM

He can applu for reinstatement around Mid September, I believe.

I think he CAN be a factor for the Pack this season as long as he kept himself in shape. The reason is he can stretch the field moreso than DD/GJ/JJ/RM. He also is a capable return man. Don't rule him out.

And a special message for KRob: One day at a time, man!

Deputy Nutz
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
I guess my feeling on the game was simply this, their defensive line was better than our offensive line. Colledge, Tausch, and Clifton just couldn't cut it in the run game and were abused in the passing game.

Colledge was a big disappointment today, I will get more into that later.

Jackson looked timid in the first half and that was to be expected being a rookie and coming into the game with a head injury. He has to figure out that he needs to hit the hole full speed regardless if it is the right read or not.

the defense looked really good in the second half, they wore down a bit at the beginning of the 4th quarter, but they found that extra gear and dominated the game when the offense was trying to give the game away.

Favre looked just ok, he missed a few open receivers today, and he also had some dropped. He was under pressure all day, and did things that still to this day only Brett Favre can do.

Phillies defense is no slouch especially their defensive line, and more specifically their defensive ends are good, they theoretically have three starters at that position.

You can't say enough about Mason Crosby, very very cool under pressure, I think he is very special and as far as I can tell I think Ted Thompson and the coaching staff made the right move with Crosby. Long kick offs.

Bretsky
09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
They won, that's good. However, their offense was horrible. Philly has always had our number so it might be temporary, but that is about as unsatisfactory of a win as it gets.

They have a lot of work to do in the run game. One thing I noticed, and I know I keep bringing this up, but they didn't cut block AGAIN and after the game when I was on my way home from my brothers, I heard Scott Wells say that they are going to the ground causes a build up and they do not want that. Funny, ever zone scheme cuts but now the Packers want to run zone but not cut. Either they are football geniuses and they found a way to do somehting nobody else does or they are completely screwing up and taking away a technique that is detrimental to their run scheme. I think ti's the later and I'm very concerned.

I listened to Larry McCarrein after the game; he noted the Packers tried to cut block often early but were completely ineffective at it so they tapered back toward the end of the game.

He also noted we don't really have the type of OL that are effective ZBS blockers. Colledge was the guy that fits that mold best.