PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Chat with Cleft Crusty

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi folks,

I'm Back from my semi-retirement and ready to take your questions regarding today's game. I'll try to answer as quickly as possible through my JS high-end 28K telephone modem. I'll have to warn you though, 'ole Clefty's allergies have been acting up and I was forced to take 200mg of benedryl, so I may nod off from time to time. Fire away, and remember that Cleft Crusty doesn't aim to provide insightful comment, only to berate you for your lack of football knowledge and insider information.

retailguy
09-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Who stole our OL? What do we do about it?

MJZiggy
09-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi folks,

I'm Back from my semi-retirement and ready to take your questions regarding today's game. I'll try to answer as quickly as possible through my JS high-end 28K telephone modem. I'll have to warn you though, 'ole Clefty's allergies have been acting up and I was forced to take 200mg of benedryl, so I may nod off from time to time. Fire away, and remember that Cleft Crusty doesn't aim to provide insightful comment, only to berate you for your lack of football knowledge and insider information.

Why did it take until the 4th quarter for any cut lanes to open for Jackson?

BallHawk
09-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Cleft,

What do you think of the OL's performance in this game. Is this just the result of playing a reasonably good defense or is this a sign of more bad things to come?

Lurker64
09-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Cleft-

Given the Packers recent success drafting in the 6th round, was it really responsible for Thompson to trade away a 6th round pick for Grant? Should we try to arrange a trade for more sixth round draft picks?

MasonCrosby
09-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Do you feel that the lack of calls against the eagles D making illegal contact with driver hampered our offense?

Do you think we can look forward to more of this tough dirty play from our defense in the season?

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Who stole our OL? What do we do about it?

It was pretty pathetic, wasn't it? Probably most disappointing for Packer fans was to see Clifton and Tauscher get schooled. Coston was in later in the game, but since Crusty is semi-retired, I could care less whether it was due to injury or a coach's decision. When you're semi-retired and the JS pays you what they pay me, it's lucky if you even show up for work.

the_idle_threat
09-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Cleft, our offense was clearly in poor shape today---possibly even in worse shape than your liver. Is Vernand Morency the key to our future as a top 5 offense, or is it Greg Jennings? 8-)

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Cleft-

Given the Packers recent success drafting in the 6th round, was it really responsible for Thompson to trade away a 6th round pick for Grant? Should we try to arrange a trade for more sixth round draft picks?

I think you're overthinking it. The round doesn't matter so much as the number of picks. The NFL average for starters is somewhere around 30% from all draft picks (and it drops in later rounds of course). So you could argue that Thompson's idea of stockpiling picks works because he brings in more guys and the averages take over. But players come from everywhere. As I said late last year, Bush was unblockable on special teams - today the Packers got paid dividends for keeping roster spots 52 and 53 open for Bush last year.

retailguy
09-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Cleft, our offense was clearly in poor shape today---possibly even in worse shape than your liver. Is Vernand Morency the key to our future as a top 5 offense, or is it Greg Jennings? 8-)

I'll try this one. I think its Junius Coston. :P

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Do you feel that the lack of calls against the eagles D making illegal contact with driver hampered our offense?

Do you think we can look forward to more of this tough dirty play from our defense in the season?

Again, you're focusing on a few visible plays. From where I was sitting - in press box behind a collumn blocking line-of-sight to the field - a position reserved for un-liked, semi-retired has-been journalists - I'm certain I would have seen all kinds of other penalties by the packers that DIDN'T get called. The reffing squad out there is a respected one, so the number of calls they blow depends on how many NBA-type refs were corrupted. It's all a crap shoot anyhow.

the_idle_threat
09-09-2007, 04:28 PM

:lol: An intriguing possibility ...

What the hell---Send him deep down the seam and see what happens!

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 04:39 PM

I don't thinks that's possible. The Packers still had 11 guys out there. I only have about 40% of my liver left. That's enough to keep me alive, but it's not anything special. Plus the Packer offense has some youth that might get better. My liver is kinda like Bubba Franks all over.

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi folks,

Why did it take until the 4th quarter for any cut lanes to open for Jackson?

The Simple answer is that the lanes weren't there. very poor blocking on the offensive line. It's still very early to tell how good the Philly defense is, but they were able to cheat up on the run since the Packers threw downfield only a handful of times - and ineffectively at that (especially Favre's overthrow).

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 04:43 PM

It's very likely that the key to a Packer top 5 offense is playing college ball this season, and perhaps next as well.

MasonCrosby
09-09-2007, 04:52 PM
with the depth and the way our d-line is playing do you think collin cole and corey williams will be resigned in the offseason?

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 04:56 PM
with the depth and the way our d-line is playing do you think collin cole and corey williams will be resigned in the offseason?

My guess would be that they won't want to pay for both, but a lot of that depends on Harrell. I think the Packer organization is very worried that a number one draft pick would look worse than Muir in pre-season. Harrell is on the squad for one reason only - he was a first round draft pick. If he somehow improves, then Cole or Williams become expendable. But overall, I think the defensive scheme works better with more tackles. It will be interesting to see whether some teams go no-huddle to stop the shuffling of D-linemen that the Packers really like to do.

gbgary
09-09-2007, 05:54 PM
funny stuff!!! keep it coming.

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 08:03 PM
funny stuff!!! keep it coming.

Give me a question and I'll answer it - after my nap, of course.

MJZiggy
09-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Is this offense ever gonna get it together?

hurleyfan
09-09-2007, 08:08 PM

Probabaly gets deep quicker than Bubba!!

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Is this offense ever gonna get it together?

I think so, but it might be a few years. The cut block scheme might not fit Tauscher and Clifton and so far, the jury on Thompson's ability to bring in O-line talent is still out. The O is either very old (Driver Bubba Clifton Tauscher, Favre) or very young. It's an odd mix.

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 08:14 PM

Probabaly gets deep quicker than Bubba!!

This is an interesting point. One wonders what happened to the middle of the field. Loss of David Martin and/or fear of Dawkins and the Blitz scheme must be contributing factors. Hmmm - Packers need some other offensive threat and they need better pass pro with lss guys in the backfield. You have to wonder whether guys were getting separation when you see the INT to Bubba running a weak route and Martin not really competing for a ball that was right on his fingers.

superfan
09-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Cleft,

Safety Atari Bigby seemed to play reasonably well for his first career start. However, his hit on teammate Al Harris was nearly disastrous. Two questions:

1. If you were the head coach, would you have some kind of punishment in store for Bigby, and if so, what would it be?

2. Why is Al Harris even on the field as a gunner on the punt cover unit in the first place?

Joemailman
09-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Cleft,

Now that the Packers have beaten an NFC power, do you feel like a washed-up idiot for picking the Packers to go 4-12?

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Cleft,

Safety Atari Bigby seemed to play reasonably well for his first career start. However, his hit on teammate Al Harris was nearly disastrous. Two questions:

1. If you were the head coach, would you have some kind of punishment in store for Bigby, and if so, what would it be?

2. Why is Al Harris even on the field as a gunner on the punt cover unit in the first place?

I'll answer the second first. McCarthy should be flogged for having Al Harris out on the field on special teams. Harris, Woodson and Favre are the trio of very old valuable guys that can't afford to be hurt. Perhaps it's a failing of Thompson or just being uncomfortable with the other guys that allows Woodson to return punts and Harris to run on teams. Still, special teams lost the game for Philly today, so there is something to be said for risking your best guys. That's a wishy-washy answer, but when you're semi-retired and making 2.26 an hour plus tips, you stop caring.

Bigby wasn't at fault. The defense played extemely well and you don't want to punish any of them.

BTW, Harris agrees with me and you saying "I'm through with special teams, unless coach (McCarthy) tells me, 'Al, you've got to get out there,'"

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Cleft,

Now that the Packers have beaten an NFC power, do you feel like a washed-up idiot for picking the Packers to go 4-12?

I feel washed up, but I don't feel like an idiot. The Packers still have to win 3 more to get to four and Philly may not be an NFC power. The Packers offense had one drive the entire game and they got lucky (and played well) on special teams. They have a lot to be concerned about.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Cleft,

Since Wynn has a reputation of not being able to catch a cold, why did they use him as a third down back today, and frequently put him in motion or split him out wide? I can't imagine Favre throwing him a pass, except for that little shot put job that Wynn turned into a nice gain.

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Cleft,

Since Wynn has a reputation of not being able to catch a cold, why did they use him as a third down back today, and frequently put him in motion or split him out wide? I can't imagine Favre throwing him a pass, except for that little shot put job that Wynn turned into a nice gain.

Who the hell did you have in mind, the beer vendor? The Packers played with who they had. Noah Herron would have been out there, but he's getting a paycheck for the rest of the season to rehab his knee. Wynn will have to grow up in a hurry. It's not like Morency is the next coming of Tomlinson. The Packers have raw talent minus the talent in the offensive backfield. Get used to it.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2007, 09:47 PM
well, maybe Nick Collins could serve as a receiving back in a pinch.

he showed those sticky hands again today. :lol:

Deputy Nutz
09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
When you have to pleasure some one orally to pay the bills, would you rather Mike McCarthy, or Ted Thompson?

Noodle
09-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Lights on or off?

Just wanting to get details squared away for Clefty.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Nutz, you attention whore! (Guess I'm one to talk.)

OK, I'll play.

Cleft,

Watching that receiver Curtis for the Eagles yesterday filled me with speedus envy. The Packers are screwed because they don't have a single guy who can run down the field. You can have 10 James Jones types on the roster, but the offense is still screwed - the safeties and corners can play tight.

Do you agree the Packers have no deep threat on the roster? Would it make sense to give a fast guy like Clowny a look? Ahh,never mind, he sucks. What to do?

gbgary
09-10-2007, 08:39 PM
When you have to pleasure some one orally to pay the bills, would you rather Mike McCarthy, or Ted Thompson?

Lights on or off?

Just wanting to get details squared away for Clefty.

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/images/smilies/smiley23[1].gif

Cleft Crusty
09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Harlan,

One wonders whether Thompson is earnestly waiting for the return of Koren Robinson. We all know he can go very fast.

Nutz, I'd really prefer to keep this post game chat at least PG to PG-13, in case the impressionable young ones happen to look in.

See you all next week in the Meadowlands. I'll be there early looking for Jimmy Hoffa.