PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Sharpe: Walker Situation all Favre's Fault

mraynrand
05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Sterling Sharpe gets to be a host of the NBC SUnday pregam show (OK, hold back all your cheering). He also says that Favre is to blame for the Javon Walker 'defection.' For those interested in the truth, and not revisionist history (Where's Stalin when you need to erase Sharpe in a Troskyesque fashion??), all Favre said was that Javon had a point in wanting more money but that HE WAS GOING ABOUT IT IN THE WRONG WAY. Favre NEVER said Walker wasn't worth more money, he never said Walker SHOULDN'T get more money. In fact, he talked up Walker all the time and explicitly said that he SHOULD get more money. He just said that Walker SHOULD NOT HOLD OUT. PERIOD.

Sharpe's comments from Bob Wolfley's column:

--------
Sharpe, who played for the Packers for seven seasons (1988-'94), was asked what he thought of Javon Walker's departure from Green Bay, and of Walker's falling out with quarterback Brett Favre that hastened his departure.

"I've been resting since the Super Bowl, so there is not a lot of information I do have," Sharpe said. "Javon is one of my good friends. I'm sure I will get a chance to talk to him and have more information about that as the season approaches. I basically looked at it as Javon Walker's feelings were hurt by Brett Favre and those feelings could not be repaired."

When a reporter asked Sharpe if it was possible to have friends in the league and still offer opinions and commentary about them that is credible, Sharpe doubled back on the Walker vs. Favre issue.

"It's very easy, because I played in the National Football League," Sharpe said, referring to balancing the role of friend and commentator. "I have a very good idea of what's going on as far as the (league) is concerned. It's very easy for me to be friends with a guy and also say whether I like or dislike something he said or did. That's a very easy transition. We do that in our everyday lives as human beings with our friends.

"(I can) have Javon Walker as a friend and listen to his side of the story. Brett Favre is also a friend of mine. I don't know if he wants to give or to offer at any time his side of the story.

"The Green Bay Packers made the decision that the best direction for their football team was to go on without Javon Walker, whatever animosity or whatever feelings he may have had toward Brett Favre. Right, wrong or indifferent, it is the right decision for Javon Walker to be somewhere else. It is the right decision for Brett Favre to come back and play. It was right for the Green Bay Packers to proceed in a different direction. So I believe all of the parties concerned got their money's worth and got what they were looking for out of this deal."
--------

P.S. Blah, Blah Blah. I'm not tuning in Sundays until the kickoff.

Guiness
05-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Wow. Almost makes you wax poetic for Chris Collinsworth.

Rivers Rutherford
05-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Yawn. Sterling Sharpe, the original it's all about me receiver in GB who turned his back on his team right before the season started, is twisting the facts and siding with that guy that used to be a Packer. Who cares, Sharpe's an idiot.

mraynrand
05-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Television NFL commentary has never been worse,
Footballers interviewing footballers, sentences cursed.

How's the Crib?
Are you eating well?
Pimp your ride?
Content to Hell

Oh Sterling Sharpe, Ideas are Dearth,
Oh for some words from Chris Collinsworth!

MJZiggy
05-03-2006, 10:03 AM
He's been "resting" since the Super Bowl? That's one hell of a lie down!

mraynrand
05-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I think Sterling meant to say "I've been digesting since the Super Bowl"

Seriously, Sterling seems to be growing like a crystal, like Denny Green, Parcells, etc. etc. He may actually be the first 300lb. former wide receiver. I'm expecting to have trouble seeing him clearly as foreign objects begin to get trapped in his gravity well. They may have to declare a 'famine zone' within a two mile radius of Sterling Sharpe.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't think what Sterling wrote was all that bad. Sterling is probably going to side with Walker. He did the same thing in his career that Walker did. I think the media blew out of proportion. I doubt Walker even realizes what myraynrand posted (that Favre never said he didn't deserve more money).

MadtownPacker
05-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah sharpe didnt say anything bad at all. In fact I believe he dissed traitor walker pretty bad on ESPN before last season. Something about the best WR to wear #84 in GB.

mraynrand
05-03-2006, 10:35 AM
"I doubt Walker even realizes what myraynrand posted (that Favre never said he didn't deserve more money)."

-----

I think you're absolutely right, Harvey. That's why the whole thing ticked me off. I think Favre had the same approach to Sterling - he just didn't think a guy should hold a team over a barrel (Funny, Sharpe held the Packer over a barrel, and now he IS the barrel). The press was a willing accomplice in promoting the fallacious notion that Favre didn't think Walker deserved more coin.

oregonpackfan
05-03-2006, 10:41 AM
I still feel that Favre did the right thing in calling out Walker last year for threatening to hold out for the team.

Like another poster stated, Sharpe is allying himself with Walker. How dare a teammate call out an all-star receiver? Every "Knowledgable" football fan knows the team should focus its attention on their all-star receivers like, Sharpe, T.O., Keyshawn Johnson, Michaelf Irvin, and Walker.

We football fans need to ignore the ramblings of these former receivers, now announcers-analysts.

Oregonpackfan

Scott Campbell
05-03-2006, 10:44 AM
I didn't read anything that I considered to be Sharpe blaming Favre.

MadtownPacker
05-03-2006, 10:47 AM
I still feel that Favre did the right thing in calling out Walker last year for threatening to hold out for the team.
Hell yes Favre did do the right thing. Had Favre stayed quiet would walker have still gotten hurt? Very likely cuz he wasnt in football shape. Plus he still would have expected a new contract after 1 good season and a busted ACL. I just cant believ how stupid denver is to take that big a risk. Plus what is to say walker doesnt have another good season and does it again next year? You just know he will.

mraynrand
05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Scott Campbell,

Sharpe said:
"I basically looked at it as Javon Walker's feelings were hurt by Brett Favre and those feelings could not be repaired."

That places the blame squarely on Favre's shoulders, despite the rest of the doublespeak by Sharpe. I don't see how you can view it any other way. He didn't blame the Packers, Sherman, or TT for not paying Walker more. He didn't comment on whether Walker should have played in the first place. It was all about Walker's feelings being hurt by Favre.

Like Madtown wrote, it will be interesting to see whether he plays as well for Denver, whether he decides to announce plans to hold out, and whether someone their will irrepairably hurt his feelings by suggesting that holding out is the wrong way to acheive his goal of getting paid more.

Murphy37
05-03-2006, 02:36 PM
I never really cared too much about what Brett said about Javon. I would have preffered he grabbed Javon by the seeds and said, "Listen Bitch, quit bein a spoiled little punk, and get your ass in camp. If you perform, you'll get your cash." Instead he went the media route. So be it. Javon has to quit being such a sensative little girl, and not take things so personally. Now he's gone, and he'll probably suffer the wrath of Karma for forcing his way out of GreenBay.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2006, 02:54 PM
"I basically looked at it as Javon Walker's feelings were hurt by Brett Favre and those feelings could not be repaired."

That places the blame squarely on Favre's shoulders, despite the rest of the doublespeak by Sharpe.

Not that I can see. He said his feelings were hurt. That might be true, but he never said that Favre wrong for saying it.

Harlan Huckleby
05-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Favre made a terrible mistake in publicly taking sides in a teammate's contract dispute.

A lot of you cling to theory that this was Favre exercising leadership. But that is because you agree with the side that he took! If Favre came-out and said Walker was underpaid, I don't think you would be calling him a bold leader.

The proof is in the pudding. Favre's comments did nothing but damage his relationship with a key teammate and hurt the franchise.

Taking sides in someone else's contract dispute is out of line. A lot of you are blinded to this obvious bit of wisdom because you are biased aganst Walker's postion.

Tarlam!
05-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Favre never said Javon was under or overpaid. What he said was, playeres should honor their contracts. Javon is going about this the wrong way. If Javon aint there, we'll be able to move on without him.

That's what Favre said, and you're damned right, HH, he was exercising his blood and sweat given leadership rights and his message was on the money.
Favre was opposed to breaching a C O N T R A C T. Not against Javon earning more doe. When Bubba was on strike, Favre said PAY HIM. He had fulfilled his contractual obligations.

As for the self-righteous fans; Think back to only last Friday when DD supposedly got the hold-out syndrome. 90% of the posters here said PAY HIM!

RashanGary
05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I think some of the blindness comes from watching Favre for 15 years and loving the way he plays and there for lovign everything he does.

Like a mother with her kids or a man with his wife it is something that some people are just not able to see objectively.

Did Favre make a mistake? Yes....Did Walker take it too far IMO? Yes.

Deputy Nutz
05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Favre made a terrible mistake in publicly taking sides in a teammate's contract dispute.

A lot of you cling to theory that this was Favre exercising leadership. But that is because you agree with the side that he took! If Favre came-out and said Walker was underpaid, I don't think you would be calling him a bold leader.

The proof is in the pudding. Favre's comments did nothing but damage his relationship with a key teammate and hurt the franchise.

Taking sides in someone else's contract dispute is out of line. A lot of you are blinded to this obvious bit of wisdom because you are biased aganst Walker's postion.

Favre came out in defense of Bubba Franks. Favre thought Bubba deserved to get paid. Nobody took offense to that. Walker was hurting Favre's last chance at a winner, he was pissed. He was pissed that he had to go throught the same thing the year before with McKenzie. He saw how that damaged the team, he decided the best thing for him and the team was to come out publicly. In not so many words, Favre was sick of watching these guys manipulate their contracts. I think if McKenzie never pulled this shit, Favre probably wouldn't have said anything.

Murphy37
05-03-2006, 03:16 PM
OOH BOO Fucking Hoo! My feelings are hurt, someone said something I don't like. Booooooo fucking Hooooooo! Have some fucking balls and quit being a teenage girl. Yes Favre could have handled it differently, but big deal. I refuse to feel sorry for a spoiled little bitch that had his million dollar feelings hurt. Here, let me kick you in the nuts so something besides your feelings hurt.

Harlan Huckleby
05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Favre came out in defense of Bubba Franks. Favre thought Bubba deserved to get paid. Nobody took offense to that.

Oh, I bet Ted Thompson wasn't so pleased. But of course Ted & Brett don't have to work together closely like a WR & QB, so not so important.

Taking sides is no damn good. These contract disputes are a lot like divorces, they are BIG events for the parties involved. What happens after you take sides in a divorce?

Deputy Nutz
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Personally, I know if you stay in the middle you get hung out to dry.

Tarlam!
05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
What happens after you take sides in a divorce?

I get to sleep with the ex-wife at long last?? :cool:

Murphy37
05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Favre came out in defense of Bubba Franks. Favre thought Bubba deserved to get paid. Nobody took offense to that.

Oh, I bet Ted Thompson wasn't so pleased. But of course Ted & Brett don't have to work together closely like a WR & QB, so not so important.

Taking sides is no damn good. These contract disputes are a lot like divorces, they are BIG events for the parties involved. What happens after you take sides in a divorce?

I can't talk right now, my feelings are hurt.

wist43
05-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Walker is now a Denver Bronco b/c Ted Thompson doesn't have the foresight that Mike Shanahan has...

It's that simple.

MJZiggy
05-03-2006, 03:29 PM
What happens after you take sides in a divorce?

I get to sleep with the ex-wife at long last?? :cool:

Which one is the ex-wife? Ted or Javon?

Murphy37
05-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Walker is now a Denver Bronco b/c Ted Thompson doesn't have the foresight that Mike Shanahan has...

It's that simple.

What the hell does foreskin have to do with anything? Let's keep the subject to football pervert.

Tarlam!
05-03-2006, 03:31 PM
It's that simple.

Firstly, HI WIST! :lol:

Now, to business. Are you fuckin outta your mind??? :shock: :shock:

This ws NOT TT balls up. This was Walker, pure and simple. TT comes into CAP HELL. 80% of the team needs replacing, but he aint got the brass in the pocket.

Then Walker opens his frigging mouth. And you claim, TT is short sighted?

Nice to see ya here, Wisty, ol' mate! :mrgreen:

Tarlam!
05-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Which one is the ex-wife? Ted or Javon?

That would be Brett's choice, Zig. :cool: :cool: :cool:

MJZiggy
05-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Amazing you even let Brett tell you who to sleep with! You really trust his opinion!

Tarlam!
05-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Amazing you even let Brett tell you who to sleep with! You really trust his opinion!

BOMNF!

mraynrand
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM

That places the blame squarely on Favre's shoulders, despite the rest of the doublespeak by Sharpe.

Not that I can see. He said his feelings were hurt. That might be true, but he never said that Favre wrong for saying it.

The point is not whether Favre was wrong, but whether he was to blame for Walker wanting out. I think Sharpe was very clear:

1) Brett Favre hurt Javon Walker's feeling
2) Walker's feelings were hurt irrepairably
3) I'm assuming 'irrepairably' means he wouldn't return under any circumstances
Therefore (according to Sharpe), Favre is the reason (at fault) for Walker leaving the team.

Scott Campbell
05-03-2006, 05:30 PM
The point is not whether Favre was wrong, but whether he was to blame for Walker wanting out.

I don't think you can necessarily blame Favre for that either. You can blame Walker for having such a thin skin.

MadtownPacker
05-03-2006, 09:08 PM

Taking sides in someone else's contract dispute is out of line. A lot of you are blinded to this obvious bit of wisdom because you are biased aganst Walker's postion.Complete foolishness and makes it obvious that you are sick, in the head that is.

Like everyone has told you, Favre called out the Packers on Bubba behalf and everyone felt it was cool. To say that Favre "damaged his relationship with a key teammate and hurt the franchise" is crazy because by the time Favre said it walker and your lover drew brokenhaus had alrerady announced walkers intentions. Hell it might have even been after the holdout started but the bottom line is walker put himself against the Packers. walker was the one damaging the team and he was hurting his relationship with teammate that helped get him the damn ball in the first place.

Favre tooks sides with the Packers. The team that he has played for and been loyal to for almost a decade and a half. He called it like it was a didnt sugarcoat anything for the lil baby javon. That called being a man not some like punk who has his daddy speak for him.

Fritz
05-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Thin skin, foreskin - this thread has everything but a skin basket, though he may appear in time.

My sense is that Brett probably needed to say that contract disputes are between the player and the team - that's the usual line, and it works for everyone else - but he didn't, it's done, and time to keep on keepin' on.

mraynrand
05-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Favre essentially did say that Walker was underpaid. AGAIN, he only disagreed with the WAY in which Walker was trying to 'rework' his contract. I don't recall exactly what Favre said about Sharpe when he put the Packers over a Barrel, but I think Favre has been consistent - it's okay to want more money, but you shouldn't put yourself above the team.

And the point of this thread remains true as far as I can tell - Sharpe is putting the onus on Favre for Walker's trade.

beakerman
05-04-2006, 08:44 AM
I remember back in 04 when Sterling was calling out Javon, saying he wasn't as good as him, because Javons numbers were mostly in garbage time and didn't matter.... If anybody can find the article it was written about the time of the Tennesee game....

wist43
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
I have contended all along that the Walker mess was TT's fault...

When Walker and his agent approached TT last offseason, TT should have reassured them that Walker was in the teams long term plans, that he was very interested in getting Walker extended, and that as soon as he had the salary cap in order - he would redo Walkers deal.

TT did not do that, he stonewalled him, and ultimately pissed him off to the point where the relationship became unrepairable - when TT DID IT AGAIN THIS OFFSEASON!!!!!

The fact that TT decided to stonewall the best player on the team, and consequently the most underpaid player on the team, is inexplicable.

All of you guys go on and on about "he signed a contract"... blah, blah, blah - this is the salary cap NFL of 2006, not 1976. The best GM's recognize top shelf talent, and they find creative ways to acquire them and sign them to long term contracts (Shanahan).

At the end of the day, the Packers have lost their best player... none of you can be happy about that.

mraynrand
05-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Ok, let's go the TT route. Wist, you make some interesting arguments about TT, but really it's just speculation, right? TT has been totally inscrutable. Here's another totally unprovable speculation to chew on:

TT DID consider signing Walker long term and decided against it. TT has a master plan in place to remake the Packers into a defense-first, ball control (running game) offense. Every move he's made has been with that goal in mind. Walker was a deep threat, jump ball receiver who ran marginal routes - not the possession, after-the-catch receivers TT wanted (look at the receivers who were successful in Seattle - they all fit the Murphy/Jennings/Boerichter/Gardner profile). TT obviously didn't count of Walker threatening a hold out or getting injured, but he's making the best of it, and reconfiguring the team the way he wants it.

One mistake (unless TT really wanted to get rid of Walker at some point) was not signing Walker to a new deal the minute he came into camp (not knowing Walker would be injured of course). By signing Walker, TT could have sent a message that they reward guys who pay their dues and don't hold out. The negative side is that it would have been claimed as a victory by Rosenhaus,and Walker still may have been injured just the same.

Still, there's something funny about injuries to guys who hold out and/or are playing in contract year. Some guys, perhaps like Walker, play scared, worrying about getting hurt, and somehow increase their chances of being injured. On the play where Walker was hurt, it seemed like he was trying to avoid contact, instead of laying out for a TD. This is a total guess, but perhaps there was something going in the back of his mind telling him to be careful since he wasn't signed to a long term deal.

How's that for four paragraphs of total speculation. I fear it's going to be a long off-season!

wist43
05-04-2006, 09:43 AM
I wasn't speculating about TT stonewalling Walker... he told Walker to take a hike, and then he told everybody thru the media that he told Walker to take a hike.

I'm sure he didn't use that terminology, but that's the long and short of it.

Shanahan, and several other GM's in the league see Walkers value - TT doesn't.

A talent like Walker doesn't come along every day, and TT just blew him off... Denver got one hell of deal, and one hell of a player. A second round pick for a pro bowl calibur WR???

I like this past draft, but I'm going to hold a grudge on this Walker thing... I'll never forgive TT for screwing us out of a pro bowl calibur WR.

Tarlam!
05-04-2006, 10:34 AM
When Walker and his agent approached TT last off-season, TT should have reassured them that Walker was in the teams long term plans, that he was very interested in getting Walker extended, and that as soon as he had the salary cap in order - he would redo Walkers deal.

TT did not do that, he stonewalled him...

This is nothing more than speculation. Unless you have some hard evidence, Wist, this is only true in the context that this is your perception, thus it is your truth.

All of you guys go on and on about "he signed a contract"... blah, blah, blah -

You do make a valid point here, we really should be annoyed, like Favre, that Javon created the media circus thus prohibiting TT from handling this situation ANY DIFFERENTLY without losing face. But here's a counter punch for you; Rosenwhore truly believed TT would be a walkover and tried to ambush the guy from day 1 on the job. I would call that HIGHLY unprofessional behaviour that, no doubt, inflamed the situation. Walker's choice of the publicity stunt agent #1 in the land did ZERO in helping his own cause.

The best GM's recognize top shelf talent, and they find creative ways to acquire them and sign them to long term contracts (Shanahan).

Good GM's do a lot of things. Good GM's, e.g. ship out ingrates, like Mr. Lombardi did. It is utterly ridiculous to confine what GM's do to a few statements.

I really do not know what the record is: What is the quickest a GM ever put a SB-winning team together? That's what good GM's need to do.

At the end of the day, the Packers have lost their best player... none of you can be happy about that

Our best asset is not individuals, rather, it is a team of players feeding off each other to make plays. If we are so reliant on any one position(barring QB), then, we are in trouble anyway.

MJZiggy
05-04-2006, 10:52 AM
At the end of the day, the Packers have lost their best player... none of you can be happy about that.

As so many before me have aptly stated: he's not your best player if he refuses to take the field.

MadtownPacker
05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Was he really the best player? I have a hard times deciding if he was even the best receiver. DD put in work and had almost the same stats as the traitor. Yes walker was the better talent but much of his yardage came in a few game, like the colts 200yds 3 TDs. Against a useless Colts defense too! As the season progressed and everyone started double teaming him his #s dropped.

Dont get me wrong I wish he was still a Packer and happy but he isnt and I hope he sucks thin air in denver.

BlueBrewer
05-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I hate Sterling Sharpe, almost as much as I hate Shannon Sharpe

MadtownPacker
05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I hate Sterling Sharpe, almost as much as I hate Shannon Sharpe
Why do the NFL TV crews think these selfish ball catchers are the best people to talk about other players? They are only good at talkikng about themselves.

Murphy37
05-04-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure Walker was our best player either. He had one year. If he finishes his career with several trips to the pro bowl, then hey, he was probably our best player. But you can make a case for DD because of his dependability, numbers, attitude, and loyalty.
Oh yeah, have I mentioned that there is no place on this team for whiney little schoolyard bitches who's over sensative feelings get hurt?

MJZiggy
05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Say what's on your mind, Murph. :razz:

Merlin
05-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Didn't Favre say when Sharpe was holding out that he didn't care and that there were other receivers to throw to??? Hasn't Favre pretty much maintained that stance his whole career until last year? Sharpe was a great receiver with a big mouth, never liked the person, loved the player.

Murphy37
05-04-2006, 12:41 PM

I always do soul sista number 1. I don't mean to be an ass about it, but I get upset when someone who is living the dream of almost all of us, complains about how tough he has it. I know I shouldn't judge a man untill I walked a mile in his shoes, but his shoes are probably worth as much as my mortgage payment. Not that I have anything against people with high incomes, just people who complain too much with high incomes.

MadtownPacker
05-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Didn't Favre say when Sharpe was holding out that he didn't care and that there were other receivers to throw to??? Hasn't Favre pretty much maintained that stance his whole career until last year? Sharpe was a great receiver with a big mouth, never liked the person, loved the player.
He said pretty much the same about walker. Said if he is here good if not others would need to step up. Fergie didnt, Driver played hard like always.

Bet Murphy would have been that guy if he hadnt got hurt.

Merlin
05-04-2006, 12:46 PM

I always do soul sista number 1. I don't mean to be an ass about it, but I get upset when someone who is living the dream of almost all of us, complains about how tough he has it. I know I shouldn't judge a man untill I walked a mile in his shoes, but his shoes are probably worth as much as my mortgage payment. Not that I have anything against people with high incomes, just people who complain too much with high incomes.

Remember, Javon has to look out for his family. I mean c'mon no one can feed their family for a measly $800,000 a year. If I could play in the NFL and I had the talent, I would play for whatever they were willing to give me! The minimum is more then a lot of people make in 10 years combined.

wist43
05-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Of course Walker WAS their best player... Tauscher and Clifton are very good at their positions, but nobody else on the roster is even close to pro bowl calibur.

Are you guys engaging in some "homerism" b/c things went sour and now he's a Denver Bronco??? Take emotion out of the equation, and Walker WAS their best player... and, truth be told, Denver got one hell of a player, and the Packers lost one hell of a player.

Talent is talent... I can't stand T.O. and wouldn't want him on my team; but, that doesn't take away from the fact that he's an incredible talent.

I think a lot of you guys are looking at Walker disparagingly b/c of the situation, and not his talent. He WAS clearly the Packers best WR, and he WAS clearly the Packers best player.

WAS...

Partial
05-04-2006, 01:28 PM
despite his cynical ways, wist hit the nail right on the head as usual

swede
05-04-2006, 01:31 PM
He wuth our betht player, perhapth.

He wuth altho the Bigguth Dickuth.

Partial
05-04-2006, 01:33 PM
I hope the next player that gets out of line has a certain Hawk figure up in their face telling them to STFU.

That sure would be nice to have an enforcer in the locker room

RashanGary
05-04-2006, 02:07 PM
I agree. Losing Walker was a tough pill to swallow but what are we going to do? Sit and cry about it. He was pissed off. He wanted more money and the team is not going to redo contracts. N.E. doesn't redo contracts. Philly doesn't. Pittsburgh hasn't given anyone a big deal before their contract expired lately, the last time I checked. Hutchinson had to wait for FA even though he was the best OG in the league.

The whole point of competing in the NFL is that you have to get players to outperform their contracts. Every team gets the same amount of money. If players play higher than what they are getting paid then you have extra money to spend elsewhere on your roster. Example: If Javon Walker is causing a 1.5 mil cap hit but is playing at a 7 mil level you have a 7 million dollar player and an extra 5.5 mil to use on a RB or LB or DE or whatever. If you give him the 7 mil, now you just lost 5.5 mil that you could have used to sign Woodson or Kamp etc....

The danger in giving in to Walker is that every player who is underpaid will line up and do the same thing. Driver is underpaid. Green was disgusting underpaid. Tauscher is underpaid right now. Those are the players who help your team the most because they play at a high level but they do not take from the salary cap space used to strengthen the team. As soon as GB redid Walkers contract you'd have a whole slew of players today and tomorrow lining up to get the same treatment. Problem is; if you pay everyone what they are worth, you aren’t getting any more out of your 100 mil than the next team.

The Seattle Seahawks operated last year comfortable under the salary cap yet they produced at a level that was the 2nd highest in the league. What does that mean? It means that their players were grossly underpaid. Any team that wins the superbowl or makes the playoffs has a group of guys who are underpaid. The best teams have the biggest group of underpaid players. Had the Packers just caved to Walker before this situation got ugly they would have opened up a whole new can of worms. Now they are forced to give the same fair treatment to every player and now they cannot compete because they would run out of cap space.

If a player is dumb enough to not understand the process then this type of thing can get out of hand. This is the reason you don't go out and get a T.O. type player. The player, if crazy enough, can make things really ugly. The team is then trapped because if they give in to him they'll have to give in to the rest who are also underpaid.

Thompson did the right thing IMHO. He could have probably kept Walker way back when it was first brought up. Had he done that, he would have ruined the Packers organization by setting irresponsible precedence and in turn forcing the organization to experience more of the same issues.

A rapist gives you a choice of having sex or death. You get 2 hours to choose your fate. You choose to save your live but it still hurt like hell to get raped. The Packers just got raped but with some therapy and a good support system they can get by and have a happy life. Giving in to this type of demand is financial death and it really wasn't a choice but a matter of trying to delay the rapist from doing his harm.

Murphy37
05-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Of course Walker WAS their best player... Tauscher and Clifton are very good at their positions, but nobody else on the roster is even close to pro bowl calibur.

Are you guys engaging in some "homerism" b/c things went sour and now he's a Denver Bronco??? Take emotion out of the equation, and Walker WAS their best player... and, truth be told, Denver got one hell of a player, and the Packers lost one hell of a player.

Talent is talent... I can't stand T.O. and wouldn't want him on my team; but, that doesn't take away from the fact that he's an incredible talent.

I think a lot of you guys are looking at Walker disparagingly b/c of the situation, and not his talent. He WAS clearly the Packers best WR, and he WAS clearly the Packers best player.

WAS...

I can agree that Walker was the best player the year he went to the probowl. Last year he was one of our worst receivers. :razz:

Scott Campbell
05-04-2006, 05:08 PM

WAS...

Talent and the extra baggage come as part of a package deal. You can't pick one or the other. Ricky Williams has a ton of talent too. Talent alone isn't enough to help your football team. That's why teams spend so much time evaluating a players character.