PDA

View Full Version : Unsung Hero

KYPack
09-09-2007, 09:46 PM
All our heroes were on ST and defense today, but I haven't seen much written or said about one guy. Jon Ryan was the holder on rookie kicker Mason Crosby's game winner. He made a hold for the ages. Rob Davis made a terrible high snap and Ryan showed decent hands in snaring the high snap. Then he plunged the ball quickly to the spot in one, quick motion. Crosby waited a quarter beat before drilling the 43 yarder thru the posts. It's cool to see these two young guys come together in a real league game.

Ryan punted really well, omitting those line drives he kicked in the past. All his punts were right to the cover & we got a couple fumble recoveries out of 'em. he did have a few shorties, but his 29 yarder was the final one we recovered on the fumble.

RashanGary
09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Good point, low punts killed us last year. He seems to have solved that and gotten some consistency.

retailguy
09-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Good point, low punts killed us last year. He seems to have solved that and gotten some consistency.

Told you he was going to be good... :wink:

LEWCWA
09-10-2007, 09:07 AM
The hold on the final field goal was money! Other than that I thought h punted poorly. It looks good cause Philly handed us 2, but his punting was poor to average!

4and12to12and4
09-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Great post. What was important about how quickly he put that ball down is that two Eagles came flying across the ball and ran into each other milliseconds after that ball sailed past them. Talk about a game of inches!! Dallas limps out of the playoffs on almost the same type play, and our young guys came through. Crosby has proven that he has ice in his veins, and is making TT look good.

Guys, gals, our defense was unbelievable. You watch, Philly may never score less than 13 points the rest of the year.

Nick Barnett was magnificant. We always want to give Hawk praise, and want him to be the GUY, the GLUE, but, those haters out there better recognize how special a player Nick is. And to all the Hawk lovers out there, he missed an open field tackle BIGTIME. If you didn't see it, you weren't watching very closely. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the great white hope, but it just seems like everyone here wants Hawk to be our "Urlacher with Golden Locks", and I do too, he just has a stigma about him, but in the meantime, Briggs (I mean, Barnett) :wink: gets shit on in here, and yet he dominated yesterdays game, and was a key factor in containing both McNabb and Westbrook.

I just want to add that, as I watched the Bears and Chargers, Oh my God, that was an intense game, but at the same time, we went against a very similar team and faired much better. I know we scored every friggin point off turnovers, but we GOT those turnovers, and our defense was flying around looking like Chicago's, San Diego's, and Philly's. And those along with Baltimore may be the top four D's in the league. We are right there with them. If Mike Brown is lost again, Chicago is F***ed. Our defensive line is stellar, and Atari looks like the Colt's Sanders out there. He could end up being that good.

I never expected our offense to do shit yesterday, not against that dominant defense, too many rookies, Brett was a miracle man, yet, there were a couple of plays that he could've really hurt the team, he just wants to make a play so badly. We lucked out yesterday, and he only got picked once. It was a great game for our young guys to experience, because it doesn't get much harder than that offensively, and gave them a good taste for when we play the Chargers, and maybe even the Cowboys. What a win, but my player of the game is Barnett. We gotta give this guy some love for his stellar play.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Nick Barnett was magnificant. We always want to give Hawk praise, and want him to be the GUY, the GLUE, but, those haters out there better recognize how special a player Nick is. And to all the Hawk lovers out there, he missed an open field tackle BIGTIME. If you didn't see it, you weren't watching very closely. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the great white hope, but it just seems like everyone here wants Hawk to be our "Urlacher with Golden Locks", and I do too, he just has a stigma about him, but in the meantime, Briggs (I mean, Barnett) :wink: gets shit on in here, and yet he dominated yesterdays game, and was a key factor in containing both McNabb and Westbrook.

I just want to add that, as I watched the Bears and Chargers, Oh my God, that was an intense game, but at the same time, we went against a very similar team and faired much better. I know we scored every friggin point off turnovers, but we GOT those turnovers, and our defense was flying around looking like Chicago's, San Diego's, and Philly's. And those along with Baltimore may be the top four D's in the league. We are right there with them. If Mike Brown is lost again, Chicago is F***ed. Our defensive line is stellar, and Atari looks like the Colt's Sanders out there. He could end up being that good.

I never expected our offense to do shit yesterday, not against that dominant defense, too many rookies, Brett was a miracle man, yet, there were a couple of plays that he could've really hurt the team, he just wants to make a play so badly. We lucked out yesterday, and he only got picked once. It was a great game for our young guys to experience, because it doesn't get much harder than that offensively, and gave them a good taste for when we play the Chargers, and maybe even the Cowboys. What a win, but my player of the game is Barnett. We gotta give this guy some love for his stellar play.

Barnett was great, but you don't need to rip Hawk to make Barnett look better. He did miss an open field tackle. On Brian Westbrook. Plenty of guys, probably including Urlacher, have done that. The defense played great. There wasn't an obvious weakness. We got burned on a couple of misdirection plays and Tramon got burned when Al went out, but otherwise you aren't going to do any better against that offense when it is healthy, so let's enjoy this. We got a pass rush. We shut down the run up the middle. Obviously, the secondary played well because Philly did little throwing the ball. I'd guess that not too many guys, including Hawk, played poorly on defense.

EDIT: I'm right with most of what else you said though.

4and12to12and4
09-10-2007, 10:28 AM
With all due respect, I DO need to "not BASH" but speak realistically of the fantasy in this forum and all the love Mr. Hawk recieves, and Nick gets shit on all the time, and he outplayed AJ all game. But few here ever steps up and admits how good he is, because we all want AJ to be the man. Well, Nick was outstanding, and I just felt that if Hawk would've gotten an interception, and Nick would've dove at Westbrook's feet and missed completely, people would be talking shit about Mr. Barnett today. Guaranteed. So, I'm just tired of this Hawk love, and dismissal of Barnett as if he's just average or something. He's one of the best MLB's in the game, Period. Let's give him his due.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2007, 10:31 AM
So, I'm just tired of this Hawk love, and dismissal of Barnett as if he's just average or something. He's one of the best MLB's in the game, Period. Let's give him his due.

I think Barnett is the best player on the defense.

4and12to12and4
09-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Hmm, do I smell sarcasm here?

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Hmm, do I smell sarcasm here?

no, that was a beer fart. I really do think Barnett is the best player.

Kampman is a close 2nd. Then Jenkins, Hawk, Woodson.

4and12to12and4
09-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Hawk before Wood? Now that's love.

The Leaper
09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Barnett did quite a bit yesterday that may take him out of Wist's doghouse for good. He did not look timid or weak yesterday...and in fact was the epitome of the kind of LB play Wist is looking for. On just about every run play, Barnett's number was the one flying to the football.

Granted, he needs the protection of a great DL...but most LBs do. Now that he has the protection he needs, he is set to have a monster year in 2007.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I can't help it, I love white guys who play defense. Reminds me of Ray Nitschke

(Now THAT smell was sarcasm.)

MJZiggy
09-10-2007, 10:46 AM
May I please like them both and think they're both good players? I never thought Barnett was bad. Never thought he should be moved when Hodge had a good camp last year. I think they're both good players.

PackerBlues
09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I think what a lot of you have just pointed out, without actually saying it, is that "it was a team effort through and through". That little statement should put me in the running for the "understatement of the year award". From Ryan's adjustment to the bad snap, to Barnetts excellent play on Defense, to Favre's determination, to Crosby's killer leg, everyone got involved, and nobody gave up.

Without having to depend on all the free agents that I have been going on and on about wanting, the players that make up this team, have become just that, a TEAM! :pack: :cow: :pack:

Zool
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
An upgrade at SLB and Atari stepping up and this D is ridiculous. I didnt get to see all of yesterdays game, but I havent heard anything negative about Atari's play yesterday. When you're a safety, no news is good news.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
That felt good, didn't it?
:D

We obviously have areas of concern, but we did just beat a team that we weren't supposed to beat and who has owned us in the last 5 years. A lot of the areas we've struggled against Philly, we still struggled against. However, it looks like we have the type of defense that can keep us in most games. I'm sure the offense will get at least a little more going in future games. Hopefully, it's enough to make us a playoff contender.

Here's to PackerBlues!
:five:

Zool
09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
we did just beat a team that we weren't supposed to beat

Crap. I predicted we would win one that we shouldn't and lose one that we shouldn't. Better not be Oakland.

PackerBlues
09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
An upgrade at SLB and Atari stepping up and this D is ridiculous. I didnt get to see all of yesterdays game, but I havent heard anything negative about Atari's play yesterday. When you're a safety, no news is good news.

There was only one thing negative about Atari, lol........his best hit on the day was on Al Harris. :oops: Very Scary moment.

LL2
09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
We obviously have areas of concern, but we did just beat a team that we weren't supposed to beat and who has owned us in the last 5 years. A lot of the areas we've struggled against Philly, we still struggled against. However, it looks like we have the type of defense that can keep us in most games. I'm sure the offense will get at least a little more going in future games. Hopefully, it's enough to make us a playoff contender.

I agree, but the woes on offense yesterday did make me wonder if TT should've at least made an attempt in FA.

PackerBlues
09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
That felt good, didn't it?
:D

Here's to PackerBlues!
:five:

Back at ya Harv. :five: :)

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I agree, but the woes on offense yesterday did make me wonder if TT should've at least made an attempt in FA.

I expect them to look better with Morency and Jennings healthy, and with Jackson, Wynn, Grant, Jones, and Hall getting more experience. This is a defense we've had enormous struggles against, so I'm not willing to say this will be how it looks all year. This offense should look a lot better in week 10 than it does now. Hopefully. Until then, the defense and special teams needs to carry the load. Maybe by the end of the year, this will be a legit playoff team. I'm excited to see what Blackmon can do on returns.

Patler
09-10-2007, 12:37 PM

Maybe its not the players. Maybe its the coaching staff and scheme. Its too early for any conclusions about the season as a whole, but this was game 25 (including pre-seasons) for this "new" running game, and still no sustained ability to run the ball.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
It wasn't game 25 our our RBs or FB though.

Bretsky
09-10-2007, 12:46 PM
It wasn't game 25 our our RBs or FB though.

4 preseason in 06
16 regular season in 06
4 preseason in 07

Yesterday was 25; I don't agree with putting the blame on the coaches, but that's how he got 25.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 01:05 PM
How many have any of the RBs or FBs that played yesterday played?

oregonpackfan
09-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Barnett was indeed involved with many defensive plays. His stats were impressive:

9 solo tackles, 4 assists, 1 interception

Deputy Nutz
09-10-2007, 01:23 PM
PB made a fine post a couple of pages back, why I didn't quote it I don't know but it was about this team playing like a team.

Anyways I didn't think Bigby played that well. He is a big hitter, but I didn't see a lot of tackles from his hits, also a lot of passes went his way in coverage. I counted 3 maybe 4 balls that were completed on him during the game. Bigby is only going to get better and he played well within the unit.

Nick Collins had a nice day, talk about an unsung hero, no mention of him in any articles but he played the run nice all day and was good in coverage.

PackerBlues
09-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I think what we may be missing here, is that once again, the Offensive playbook may have been "dumbed down" a little to accommodate our RB problem (and perhaps the loss of Jennings). That certainly does not excuse the poor play of our O-line, but it may go a long way towards further explaining the problems with running the ball.

Because of the injuries, last minute substitutions due to those injuries, (not signing Green :taunt: , sorry, had to throw that in there, lol) and a lack of experience from the running backs that filled in, I think its up to the coaching staff to figure out ways to adjust to the dilemmas that our running game is facing right now. If they can do that, in a way that plays to the substitutes strengths, than the running game would look a hell of a lot better........again, depending on the O-line as well. :roll:

woodbuck27
09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I can't help it, I love white guys who play defense. Reminds me of Ray Nitschke

(Now THAT smell was sarcasm.)

Naaa naaa naa.

We've got no player on 'D' that plays like Nitschke.Barnett may only wanna be a Nitschke?

I hope he's shooting that high.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Anyways I didn't think Bigby played that well. He is a big hitter, but I didn't see a lot of tackles from his hits, also a lot of passes went his way in coverage. I counted 3 maybe 4 balls that were completed on him during the game. Bigby is only going to get better and he played well within the unit.

You must have been watching a different game than me. I didn't see much that Bigby gave up. I think I remember him giving up one ball. Plus, he had great coverage on a deep ball.

Let's see: Philly completed 15 balls--7 to their RBs. That left 8 balls that could have been completed on Bigby. One was on Barnett for a TD. One was on Tramon Williams for the long gain to Curtis. One was to Avant on Woodson. Another was to Curtis on Woodson. One was to L.J. Smith on Poppinga. That leaves at most two balls that Bigby could even have given up. One was a catch by Smith, and the other a catch by Avant.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I think what we may be missing here, is that once again, the Offensive playbook may have been "dumbed down" a little to accommodate our RB problem (and perhaps the loss of Jennings). That certainly does not excuse the poor play of our O-line, but it may go a long way towards further explaining the problems with running the ball.

I think you have something here. Not necessarily dumbed down, but McCarthy basically admitted after the game that they had planned on passing a lot to set up the run, and he was disappointed in himself for not going back to the run. I think the inexperience at RBs did make him come out throwing the ball more, and then he never really went back to the run.

woodbuck27
09-10-2007, 01:41 PM
On the topic of clutch last second efforts.

The ending of the Denver at Buffalo game was just crazy exciting. The Denver FG team (Jack Elam and Co.) started on the field with about 12 seconds remaining on the clock and running.

The commentators said it takes usually a min. 18 20 seconds to execute a FG on the rush.

It was about a 46 yard FG (he had already missed two efforts) and Elam got his boot on it with what seemed less than a second remaining and with no time on the clock he planted it almost dead center.

The Broncos went crazy on the field.You would think that they won the Super Bowl.

By the way. One Javon Walker played outstanding in that final drive with awesome receptions and showed great toughness.

We lost a great WR there. Oh well.

Also. Buffalo RB Marshawn Lynch is the real deal. A smart RB and great pickup for the Bills. He's an excellent change up RB with good instincts and awareness as to how to advance the ball and go for extra yards. He can also turn it up and run for daylight.

He's a lot like Randy Moss with the attitude going on but he looks like he can back himself up.

Travis Henry for the Broncos is well. . .Travis Henry. Really really good !

MadtownPacker
09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
You must have been watching a different game than me. I didn't see much that Bigby gave up. I think I remember him giving up one ball. Plus, he had great coverage on a deep ball.
The fact we didnt see Bigby or hear his name at all during the game is good enough for me. Means he wasnt giving up plays like Manuel.

That deep pass to avant? with Bush covering might been a catch and big play if Bigby didnt come help.

BallHawk
09-10-2007, 02:00 PM
That deep pass to avant? with Bush covering might been a catch and big play if Bigby didnt come help.

Beat me to it. Bigby came over and helped Bush big-time. That would of been a big play if it wasn't for Bigby hustling over there.

Patler
09-10-2007, 09:28 PM
How many have any of the RBs or FBs that played yesterday played?

The running game didn't suck yesterday because the backs were rookies. It sucked because there was no place to run. Running backs can come in and contribute as rookies in the running game, if the line blocks. Rookie backs show up as rookies in the passing game, not so much as runners which is more instinctive/reaction.

MM said the line was out of sync, cut blocks were made too early allowing defenders to get up and get back into the play, techniques were bad. This after 25 games, two training camps and one full season for most of the linemen. How long does it take?

We have yet to see even a half, let alone a whole game in which this "scheme" has been productive. All we have seen are isolated plays when it has worked as scripted.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
There were a couple of early runs that Jackson was tentative on. Personally, I think McCarthy gave up on the run too early. Teams will often start out running for 40 yards on 15 carries, but you keep running and eventually you pop a couple of 10-20 yarders. Plus, the defense has to at least remotely worry about the run. I sure hope he at least tries to run the ball more in the upcoming games.

Patler
09-10-2007, 09:51 PM
There were a couple of early runs that Jackson was tentative on. Personally, I think McCarthy gave up on the run too early. Teams will often start out running for 40 yards on 15 carries, but you keep running and eventually you pop a couple of 10-20 yarders. Plus, the defense has to at least remotely worry about the run. I sure hope he at least tries to run the ball more in the upcoming games.

He was quoted as saying that was by intent yesterday. He intended to favor the passing game. I wonder how that might change in upcoming weeks.

No defense facing the Packers has had to worry about the running game since 2004, sadly. I'm sure they are now approaching Packer games with the mindset that GB will have to prove it is capable of running before they will respect the run. It's been too long.

MJZiggy
09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
But if they don't respect it, doesn't that mean we'd have a better chance of having a good running game simply because the other team is not expecting it?

Patler
09-10-2007, 10:06 PM
But if they don't respect it, doesn't that mean we'd have a better chance of having a good running game simply because the other team is not expecting it?

That's what makes their performance even more disheartening! :(

crosbiegrad
09-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Didnt have a chance to watch the game on Sunday but I was wondering how Poppinga played? I'm sure everyone on here remembers painfully watching on last years opening game where Poppinga was made to look stupid, this year he was facing a much tougher TE on opening day, so yeah, i was just wondering!

Lurker64
09-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Didnt have a chance to watch the game on Sunday but I was wondering how Poppinga played? I'm sure everyone on here remembers painfully watching on last years opening game where Poppinga was made to look stupid, this year he was facing a much tougher TE on opening day, so yeah, i was just wondering!

He was invisible, you barely heard his name called all day. He registered 2 tackles and 1 assist, but he didn't stand out in any way. Considering that he used to stand out in a bad way, this is a good thing.

KYPack
09-11-2007, 09:17 AM
The hold on the final field goal was money! Other than that I thought h punted poorly. It looks good cause Philly handed us 2, but his punting was poor to average!

I, uh, totally disagree. He had seven punts for a 40.9 avg. He kicked right to the cover on every punt, something he didn't do last year. His average was slightly better than Philly's punter. who also had 7 kicks for 40.5 yard av.

He had some short balls, but he helped us get the 2 turnovers.

Throw in the miracle hold, the kid a had a great game.

LEWCWA
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
:jack: I thought this tread was about the punter?!