MJZiggy
09-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Read all about it folks!!

Winners and Losers
by Deputy Nutz
Green Bay Vs Philadelphia
Opening Day
Packers 16 - Eagles 13

The Packers’ luck changed at home today, with the team winning their first home opener under Mike McCarthy. The Packers managed to pull out the victory on the last-second field goal by Mason Crosby without scoring a single offensive touchdown. The Packers instead relied heavily on the arm of Brett Favre and steady “bend but don’t break” defense...

Read more here. (http://packerrats.com)

Noodle
09-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Favre didn't crack 55% on completions, averaged 3.7 yds/attempt, and was below 60 on his QB rating, but somehow he's not a loser here? Does he get points for a crappy OL? Sure. But that cause you to cut Jackson, in his first friggin NFL game, any slack. I don't get this.

If Rodgers had a game like this, we'd be screaming for his blood.

the_idle_threat
09-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Favre didn't crack 55% on completions, averaged 3.7 yds/attempt, and was below 60 on his QB rating, but somehow he's not a loser here? Does he get points for a crappy OL? Sure. But that cause you to cut Jackson, in his first friggin NFL game, any slack. I don't get this.

I disagree.

Favre had some bad moments, but he also made some tough plays under pressure that were absolutley essential to the win. He was up and down, which makes him neither a winner nor a loser under the terms of this article. If Rodgers would've had the same kind of game Favre had today---given the pressure and the dropped passes---I'd nominate him for the winners list.

Jackson on the other hand made one good play that I remember---the long run on the last drive that put Crosby in better field position for the game winning field goal. Aside from that, he failed to make plays as a runner or as a receiver. He ran tentatively and had at least one bad dropped pass. It's true that he was given few opportunities, but he didn't capitalize on the ones he got.

RashanGary
09-10-2007, 06:30 AM
That Oline is the group to watch against the Giants. They played an absolutely horrible game yesterday. Just inexcusable.

RashanGary
09-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Jarrett Bush played good and Atari Bigby seemed to do a good job as well.

LEWCWA
09-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I would say crosby's game winner was his most impressive kick. Not to take anything away from a 53 yarder, but on the game winner he had to change his rythym and keep the ball from hooking. That was a phenominal kick!

cheesner
09-10-2007, 09:28 AM

I disagree.

Favre had some bad moments, but he also made some tough plays under pressure that were absolutley essential to the win. He was up and down, which makes him neither a winner nor a loser under the terms of this article. If Rodgers would've had the same kind of game Favre had today---given the pressure and the dropped passes---I'd nominate him for the winners list.

Jackson on the other hand made one good play that I remember---the long run on the last drive that put Crosby in better field position for the game winning field goal. Aside from that, he failed to make plays as a runner or as a receiver. He ran tentatively and had at least one bad dropped pass. It's true that he was given few opportunities, but he didn't capitalize on the ones he got.
Favre had 2 very good plays, but he had more poor plays. He missed a couple of open WRs and he pushed the ball into spots where the WR had less opportunity than the defender to get the ball. For me, and I am a big Favre fan, he played poorly in this game. He seemed to loose his composure when BJack dropped the first swing pass. The guys on NFL network made fun of him. They showed some clips, in particular the one where JJ was open deep and Favre overthrew him by 5 yards. 'Did that receiver rip of his chinstrap in disgust after that pass?'

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Favre was ordinary, but that's a tough pass defense that harrassed him all day. Plus, his plays on the tying FG drive were huge. It was big to get that to all square there. He's not the MVP though. I thought Jackson started out rough. He dropped his first ball and had two tentative runs in the first quarter. After that, I don't think he was the problem. He made 4 catches and gained nice yardage on those. He got what the OL gave him, and he even had a few plays where he broke tackles. That 8 yard run to give Crosby some breathing room at the end was a big play. I'll feel better when Morency gets back, but I don't think Jackson should be on the loser's lists. Really, the entire OL should be on the loser's list (Clifton and Tauscher were poor in pass protection and the OGs didn't run block well) and maybe Coach Mac for abandoning the run so early.

Carolina_Packer
09-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Didn't we used to employ screen passes more when we faced pressure teams?

Lurker64
09-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Didn't we used to employ screen passes more when we faced pressure teams?

I think we ran one or two in this game and each time the LB diagnosed it correctly and stayed home to make the tackle for little gain. So I think we stopped.

Deputy Nutz
09-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Its kinda hard to find absolute fault in Favre considering he accounted for 206 yards out of the total gross yards of 252. Kinda hard to put him on the loser list in my opinion.

fan4life
09-10-2007, 10:13 AM
With the state of GB's running game (rookie back-up backs), both GB and the Eagles knew the offense would rely heavily on the pass, and the iggles defended that way. While Favre and the receivers didn't make any big plays, they did just enough to keep GB in the game - including not taking too many chances.

The Eagles came hard at Favre and he responded by punting twice in the final few minutes. In the past, Favre would never have done that. Has the old dog learned some new tricks? Well, let's just say that it's a good sign that he has enough faith in the Defense and STs to allow them to determine the fate of the game.

Folks, you can't have it both ways. For most of Favre's 16 years, and certainly since 2000, we've watched #4 shoulder the burden for winning - resulting in some spectacular wins and some very ugly losses. Today was one of those games that could have gotten ugly. But the defense held McNabb, and Favre held himself in check.

ST - bad for Philly, good for GB, determined the outcome of today's game.

It was a great win, and Favre a winner, for helping to tie the game and then not trying to play the hero on the final drive that lead to the muffed punt with a minute to go.

The Leaper
09-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Favre isn't a winner or loser in my book for this game. He missed too many wide open opportunities downfield to be a winner, but he did not make the critical error he has in the past to lose the game either.

MadtownPacker
09-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Favre should consider himself a winner for not getting killed yesterday. The eagles where after his ass and he still handled his business. Sounds like a winner to me.

Jimx29
09-10-2007, 12:26 PM

If Rodgers had a game like this, we'd be screaming for his blood.Bottom line: Brett got the team down in scoring range when it counted.

Deputy Nutz
09-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Well the offensive line has to do a better job and thats the bottom line otherwise Favre is going to keep having games like this and so will the running backs. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Fritz
09-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm not ready to put Favre on a winner's or loser's list, but I was disappointed in his reaction to Jackson's dropped pass early in the game. Jackson is a kid, a rookie, and it's his first game. Yes he's a professional, sure, but if wide receivers ripped off chinstraps every time a young Brett Favre threw the ball over their heads or into the opponents' arms, there would've been a whole lot of chinstraps on football fields around the NFL.

I know all the stuff about Favre wanting to win, but instead of getting older and wiser and more patient, he seems to be getting annoyed and irked and less patient.

But I also appreciate his incredible play-making ability, and I suppose it's possible this was a deliberate ploy on Favre's part, having recognized that Jackson responds to tough criticism well. Still, I didn't care for how it looked.

MJZiggy
09-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Still, I didn't care for how it looked.

I don't know, I thought it was kinda funny when he went to strap it back on and it wasn't there... :whist:

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm not ready to put Favre on a winner's or loser's list, but I was disappointed in his reaction to Jackson's dropped pass early in the game. Jackson is a kid, a rookie, and it's his first game. Yes he's a professional, sure, but if wide receivers ripped off chinstraps every time a young Brett Favre threw the ball over their heads or into the opponents' arms, there would've been a whole lot of chinstraps on football fields around the NFL.

I know all the stuff about Favre wanting to win, but instead of getting older and wiser and more patient, he seems to be getting annoyed and irked and less patient.

But I also appreciate his incredible play-making ability, and I suppose it's possible this was a deliberate ploy on Favre's part, having recognized that Jackson responds to tough criticism well. Still, I didn't care for how it looked.

I agree--although I think he did tone it done a bit. It seemed like he caught himself. Maybe McCarthy's coaching is helping there.

Carolina_Packer
09-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Brett does know or should know what he signed up for. The offense will have to grow into something decent this year; perhaps that will happen yet. Too bad about the injuries, and that we are so young and inexperienced at the skill positions that we have to put so much on rookies and inexperienced guys. I'm cool with youth, but sprinkle in a few more vets at key positions to help out, but not break the bank and let the young guys grow up a little, but not have the weight of the world on them.

run pMc
09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
I agree the OL was not good.

When was the last time you could say Special Teams (not just a last minute FG) won a game for GB?

They put an emphasis on this ove rthe offseason, and it's already paid off.

Scott Campbell
09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Great to see the Winners and Losers article - thanks Nutz.

This was exactly the kind of game that Favre self destructs in. But he held it together and did not take the Packers out of the game. I was pretty pleased with his performance under the circumstances.

Our D got 2 3 and outs to finish up the game, and that was clutch.

McNabb is slippery as hell, and definitely NOT over-rated. They collapsed the pocket on him all day, yet he still managed to play like Houdini. I think the Eagles will be a pretty good football team this year.

The Shadow
09-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Favre isn't a winner or loser in my book for this game. He missed too many wide open opportunities downfield to be a winner, but he did not make the critical error he has in the past to lose the game either.

Agree.
He should be very grateful to our defense as well.

Fritz
09-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah, it's kind of weird. Back in the Shermy days he'd drive the team down the field for six ppoints, sit down to get a breath, and watch the defense give six point right back. He'd kind of look disgusted and then go back out.

Now he seems to get disgusted by the offense, and doesn't seem to pay much attention to what the defense is doing.

But I could well be wrong. Maybe he's greatly aware and appreciative and I'm just not seeing it. Very possible.

Bretsky
09-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Agree.

While at the game I had a few drunks behind me chatting "Let's go Favre" every time the Packers got the ball. Then he'd go back to pass, nobody would get open, and he's improvise...aka...avoid the pass rush for his life.

Then more chants next drive.........same thing.

They kept saying Favre is the key..........I thought of you and wondered if you were behind me :wink:

The Shadow
09-11-2007, 09:53 PM

Agree.

While at the game I had a few drunks behind me chatting "Let's go Favre" every time the Packers got the ball. Then he'd go back to pass, nobody would get open, and he's improvise...aka...avoid the pass rush for his life.

Then more chants next drive.........same thing.

They kept saying Favre is the key..........I thought of you and wondered if you were behind me :wink:

If I were, you'd know it.

Badgepack
09-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Just before kickoff of the game, the Fox announcers said something about the fans being asked to clear the stadium. What was that all about?

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2007, 09:33 AM
False alarm, and everybody ignored it.

Deputy Nutz
09-12-2007, 12:39 PM
You got to love the fact that they paid no attention to the alarm, hell a plane full of TNT and Islamic Terrorist could be flying their way into Lambeau Field and not for one second would anyone think of leaving for fear of missing a glimpse of Brett Favre's chin whiskers

wist43
09-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Wrong thread again...

I swear, keep me away from sharp objects, lest I hurt myself or others. :roll:

Little Whiskey
09-13-2007, 10:07 PM
I think you could have dumped the whole O on the losers list. you don't win many games when you only put 3 points on the board. lousy!

but then i guess you would have a short list of winners and losers.

offense---loser

defense, ST---winner

done

Deputy Nutz
09-13-2007, 10:13 PM
You all remember Top Hat?

Well that fucker stole my shit and posted it on his Packerforum.com and didn't bother siting where he took it from even though he sited all his other sources.

What a piece of shit

Badgepack
09-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Watching the tape of the game, the defense was very fortunate that the Eagles running backs couldn't catch a pass, they dropped quite of few that appeared to be going for long gains. I don't know what the heck AJ Hawk was doing most of the game, he was always out of position. The defense played a good game, not a great game IMO.