PDA

View Full Version : Filthydelphia's Reaction

CaliforniaCheez
09-10-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20070909_Birds_defense_deserved_better_outcome.htm l

Birds’ defense deserved better outcome

GREEN BAY - Brodrick Bunkley said he could not speak.
"Cut the bottom of my tongue," the Eagles' defensive tackle said. "Hurts too much to talk."

"This one," linebacker Takeo Spikes was saying a few feet away, "is a tough one to swallow."

Tough for so many reasons, not the least of which is this: The Eagles' defense looked great. Whether it was Jevon Kearse bulling his way around end, Mike Patterson and Bunkley validating their summers or the secondary reading and reacting correctly, this defense looked nothing like the Achilles' heel some feared it would be.

Sean Considine made plays. Omar Gaither was a run-stopper. Four quarters of charging and chasing Brett Favre, four quarters of few communication breakdowns and even fewer big plays. Four sacks, an interception, a forced fumble that positioned your struggling offense 38 yards from the end zone with 4 minutes, 18 seconds remaining of a tie game, positioned your offense to salvage its day with even the most modest of scoring drives.

"I was thinking the game was over," Brian Dawkins said. "As much confidence as I had in our offense, I figured they would put something on the board for us there."

As it had done all game, and especially in the fourth quarter, the Eagles' defense held. The only first down the Eagles allowed in the quarter came during that drive. Still, when Quintin Mikell slapped away a third-down pass to force Green Bay to punt again with 1:09 left, the only team left with a chance to win the game in regulation seemed to be the Eagles.

"We had total control of that game," said Trent Cole, who had sacked Favre in the first half. That was the half in which the Packers - until a fruitless last-minute drive against the Eagles' prevent scheme - had accumulated just 55 yards of offense.

And emerged tied.

His biggest play - the one that led directly to the only points the Eagles' defense really allowed - was a desperate flip pass to a blocking back as Spikes had him in his grasp and Joselio Hanson fanned on an attempt to strip the ball.

Instead of a turnover or a sack, running back DeShawn Wynn - listed third on Green Bay's depth chart - scampered 18 yards to the Eagles' 24.

Six plays and five positive yards later, Crosby kicked the second of his three field goals, from 37 yards out.

They were the only points the Eagles' defense really surrendered.

The troubling thought, on a day when it surrendered three points and lost, is: What if that's not enough?

Is that the same game you saw?

GBRulz
09-10-2007, 09:16 AM
and the difference between McNabb and Favre is that Favre walked away with the W :cow:

cheesner
09-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Their defense played a great game.

Their offense did OK against a good Packer Defense.

Their special teams lost the game for them.

Kiwon
09-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Look at it this way, by losing, Philly probably saved people's lives that would have been lost in the post-win celebrations.

The competition is between them and New Orleans over who will take home this year's title of murder capital of America.

rpiotr01
09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Yup, that's the game I saw.

Doesn't mean I won't take it, a win is a win, and that win came against a perennial playoff contender and a team that is being picked to go to the Super Bowl.

But we have to do better than that, and I think we will do better than that next week against the Giants. With Brett and Driver, you KNOW they're going to do better than that, and if any of our linemen have any pride they're going to do a heck of a lot better.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Spitz miss the next game and be replaced with Coston, who seemed to do a bit better in the second half. I also bet we see either Jennings or Morency return, but not both. To be honest, I wouldn't be sad to see both miss the game and come back fresh for SD when we'll need all the O we can get.