PDA

View Full Version : NFLDRAFTBLITZ summary of best team drafts

Sparkey
05-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Well the 2006 NFL Draft is in the books. No more speculation, mock drafts, or rumors to follow. Now, while fans and "experts" alike decide who was the most successful this year, I know many people are wondering if Brady Quinn is going to win the Heisman and go #1 in 2007. How can you help it? After all, it won't be long before many sites have implemented entirely new draft boards for next year.

The importance of the NFL Draft is simply to create a better football team. Some organizations are looking for 1-2 replacements lost via Free Agency (Pittsburgh and Seattle), while other teams are hoping to climb the power rankings by finding immediate impact players and hidden gems throughout the weekend.

I watched the Draft with my son and we had a great time, seemingly arguing over every pick. He likes the chances of his beloved Giants; while I counter with the play-off curse inherited by Eli Manning.

Many writers simply grade NFL franchises on their selections in the draft. This is naturally the easiest method to determine a "winner". Nevertheless, this is like comparing apples to oranges. I have completed a 3-tier system, designed at rating NFL teams and their potential post-draft.

I figured I'd hand out my first annual Draft Day grades. Now, rather than list all 32 organizations, I thought I would initially concentrate of the teams I felt have really improved throughout the draft and the Free Agency period.

1. Houston Texans: I have already spoke of their excellent Free Agency acquisitions, now they have a solid "A+" draft. I honestly believe Mario Williams was the correct choice. I am not convinced Reggie Bush is taking the league by storm immediately. The team also bolstered their defense with Demeco Ryans and regenerated some youth and strength with the offensive line taking Spencer and Winston. These guys are solid players and the Texans had lady luck on their side, acquiring excellent prospects in the later rounds. Don't expect Houston to be picking in the top 5 next year.

2. New York Jets: The Jets must have had a stressful 15 minutes prior to their selection. Do they stick with their game plan or take the unsuspecting and available Matt Leinart. Kudos to the Jets for showing Pennington they still believe in his abilities and used their first round draft picks to protect him. D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold would provide upgrades on the O-line, while drafting Kellen Clemens in the next round, acts as an insurance policy if they plan fails.

3. Green Bay Packers: Yes, I am biased. AJ Hawk fills the most pressing concern on the Packers team. Add Abdul Hodge to the mixture, with Free Agency acquisition Ben Taylor and the Packers defense has just become competitive. I also liked the added depth to the O-line (Colledge and Spitz), which should make for a very competitive camp and provide Favre and eventually Rodgers with a great corps of protection. WR Greg Jennings should be given an opportunity to become an immediate threat on the offence.

4. St. Louis Rams: Yes, the Rams. I think they had an excellent draft. The speedy Tye Hill will help in the secondary immediately. Klopfenstein was a solid pick in the second round; however, I believe the Rams organization held out in the 3rd round for their high draft grade - Claude Wroten, Jon Alston, and Dominique Byrd were exceptional picks.

5. Arizona Cardinals: The second year in a row for the Cardinals to receive a high grade after the draft. Eventually, this team will live up to this grade and be a force in the NFC. Matt Leinart may be the steal of the first round. Nevertheless, I reserve the right to include him in the list of potential NFL busts. "Deuce" Lutui understands how to protect the future franchise QB, while Leonard Pope will serve as another blocker, who can quickly become a passing threat in the years to come. The jury is still out on Gabe Watson, but how can you not like a 340 lb man, who can fill a hole in the middle of the defense. The Cardinals are on the verge.

A few other 1st round notes:

Biggest stretch (tie):

Tamba Hali (DE) - Kansas City Chiefs; and John McCargo (DT) - Buffalo Bills.

Biggest Steal:

DeAngelo Williams (RB) - Carolina Panthers. Possible rookie of the year.

swede
05-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Biggest Steal:

Now that would be the end of a gloriously wonderful yet disappointing year for Reggie Bush.

1.Lose the Rose Bowl.

2.Get picked #2 in NFL draft.

3.Narrowly lose out on Rookie of the Year honors to DeAngelo Williams.

MJZiggy
05-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Biggest Steal:

Now that would be the end of a gloriously wonderful yet disappointing year for Reggie Bush.

1.Lose the Rose Bowl.

2.Get picked #2 in NFL draft.

3.Narrowly lose out on Rookie of the Year honors to DeAngelo Williams.

Don't you mean AJ Hawk? :mrgreen:

swede
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Don't they split that as offense and defense?

If they don't, than I clearly meant AJ HAwk.