PDA

View Full Version : The last time the Packers beat the Eagles...

arcilite
09-10-2007, 03:44 PM
September 17th, 2000.

Green Bay won 6-3 on two Ryan Longwell field goals.

Starting Lineup:

Offense:
WR 84 B.Schroeder
LT 68 M.Wahle
LG 78 R.Verba
C 52 F.Winters
RG 62 M.Rivera
RT 65 M.Tauscher
TE 81 T.Davis
WR 86 A.Freeman
QB 4 B.Favre
RB 25 D.Levens
FB 33 W.Henderson

Defense:
LE 90 V.Holliday
NT 67 R.Maryland
DT 71 S.Dotson
RE 91 J.Thierry
SLB 59 N.Diggs
MLB 55 B.Harris
WLB 54 N.Wayne
LCB 27 T.McBride
RCB 37 T.Williams
SS 36 L.Butler
FS 42 D.Sharper

It is crazy to see how much has changed since then. The team we have now is full of young guys in the middle of turning into something that I think will be great. TT has done a good job so far, I'm proud of him.

BallHawk
09-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Wow, besides Favre, Tauscher is the only guy left from that lineup.

:shock:

Carolina_Packer
09-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I'd love to have a guy like Dorsey Levens right about now.

I don't mind the youth movement, but I think he should have sprinkled in some short-time, stop-gap players that wouldn't break the bank if they were on the bench instead of starting, and starting if we had injuries to provide some veteran leadership.

How much would these guys have cost us?

Randy McMichael, TE (now with St. Louis)
Wes Welker, WR (now with the Patriots)
Chris Brown, RB (back with the Titans)

We could have made a play for all of them, it probably wouldn't have broken the bank, and we could have received a much needed boost to our offense. If Bubba, Donald Lee had beaten out McMichael (I'd be shocked), but it would have also added to what we could accomplish on offense. If Chris Brown had gotten beaten out by Jackson or Morency, he at least could have been a veteran safety net, and Wes Welker I think is on the rise and could have helped our receiving corp.

You may have your favorite three players to interchange above. I'm just saying that we could have done a little more to provide a safety net and some infused talent to our offense, and not thrown so much on the shoulders of relatively inexperienced guys. Again, it's not throwing money away or around, it's just wise. It's a more balanced approach to team building, where you can be young, but still have help at key positions.

BlueBrewer
09-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd love to have a guy like Dorsey Levens right about now.

I don't mind the youth movement, but I think he should have sprinkled in some short-time, stop-gap players that wouldn't break the bank if they were on the bench instead of starting, and starting if we had injuries to provide some veteran leadership.

How much would these guys have cost us?

Randy McMichael, TE (now with St. Louis)
Wes Welker, WR (now with the Patriots)
Chris Brown, RB (back with the Titans)

We could have made a play for all of them, it probably wouldn't have broken the bank, and we could have received a much needed boost to our offense. If Bubba, Donald Lee had beaten out McMichael (I'd be shocked), but it would have also added to what we could accomplish on offense. If Chris Brown had gotten beaten out by Jackson or Morency, he at least could have been a veteran safety net, and Wes Welker I think is on the rise and could have helped our receiving corp.

You may have your favorite three players to interchange above. I'm just saying that we could have done a little more to provide a safety net and some infused talent to our offense, and not thrown so much on the shoulders of relatively inexperienced guys. Again, it's not throwing money away or around, it's just wise. It's a more balanced approach to team building, where you can be young, but still have help at key positions.

Brown was attainable and so was McMichael but I think Welker costa 3rd or better, and we all know how that works with Ted.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Who would start this year?

WR 84 B.Schroeder - NO
LT 68 M.Wahle - NO, NOT AT OT
LG 78 R.Verba - YES
C 52 F.Winters - YES
RG 62 M.Rivera - YES
RT 65 M.Tauscher - SAME
TE 81 T.Davis - NO
WR 86 A.Freeman - NO
QB 4 B.Favre - SAME
RB 25 D.Levens - YES
FB 33 W.Henderson - YES

Defense:
LE 90 V.Holliday - NO
NT 67 R.Maryland - NO
DT 71 S.Dotson - NO, NOT AT THAT POINT IN HIS CAREER
RE 91 J.Thierry - NO
SLB 59 N.Diggs - NO
MLB 55 B.Harris - NO
WLB 54 N.Wayne - NO
LCB 27 T.McBride - NO
RCB 37 T.Williams - NO
SS 36 L.Butler - YES
FS 42 D.Sharper - YES

MTPackerfan
09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Chris Brown was there for the taking most of the summer. He could have been had very cheaply. COuld have at least brought him into camp to see how he did. He is injury prone but a pretty good back.

OS PA
09-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Who would start this year?

WR 84 B.Schroeder - NO
LT 68 M.Wahle - NO, NOT AT OT
LG 78 R.Verba - YES
C 52 F.Winters - YES
RG 62 M.Rivera - YES
RT 65 M.Tauscher - SAME
TE 81 T.Davis - NO
WR 86 A.Freeman - NO
QB 4 B.Favre - SAME
RB 25 D.Levens - YES
FB 33 W.Henderson - YES

Defense:
LE 90 V.Holliday - NO
NT 67 R.Maryland - NO
DT 71 S.Dotson - NO, NOT AT THAT POINT IN HIS CAREER
RE 91 J.Thierry - NO
SLB 59 N.Diggs - NO
MLB 55 B.Harris - NO
WLB 54 N.Wayne - NO
LCB 27 T.McBride - NO
RCB 37 T.Williams - NO
SS 36 L.Butler - YES
FS 42 D.Sharper - YES

I'd start Freeman over Jennings any day of the week, Favre and Freeman were on the exact same page through that stage of their careers, it would be silly not having two favorite targets for Favre to throw to.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 04:47 PM
That's true, but I consider Freeman the #1 receiver on that team, and I'd take Driver over him. I'd take Jennings or Jones over Schroeder as the #2 receiver.

MJZiggy
09-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Chris Brown was there for the taking most of the summer. He could have been had very cheaply. COuld have at least brought him into camp to see how he did. He is injury prone but a pretty good back.

Why would you want to bring in an injury prone back to back up an injury rash? That'd be like bringing in Ferguson to back them up.

Carolina_Packer
09-10-2007, 11:10 PM
But sometimes you have to die trying, instead of laying up all the time and playing it safe. I'm not proposing reckless spending, and I know that would never happen, unless TT channels Mike Sherman. However, I do like a balanced approach to veterans and younger players. Why put the weight of the world on a bunch of young guys, unless you're not concerned about winning now, except by giving lip service to saying you do?

Again, Chris Brown, McMichael, etc. (insert name here), take a shot, but don't break the bank. There had to be some value out there. Most teams will take a position of concern and get at least one veteran for depth and emergency. If the rookie beats him out, great! If not, or if there is an injury, then you're glad to have the veteran. That's all I'm saying, and I think it's a balanced approach, again,unless you're willing to take your lumps until some of these guys grow up a bit. It does make you wonder why Brett comes back, but if you got the itch to scratch and you're Brett coming back to this team, he must have known what he was getting back into. He's been around.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 11:16 PM
It's easy to say Brown or McMichael now. Or to say just sign somebody. However, there were guys that people were clamoring for that got cut before the season started or that are backups with their new team. Signing FAs doesn't always end up good. Actually, more times than not, you end up with Marquand Manuel types. If they don't go well, you just end up taking reps from young guys that you think do have a chance. Sometimes, a position ends up like TE--where no young stepped up. Sometimes, you find an Atari Bigby or a James Jones. Thompson tried at RB--despite what people say. He offered a lot to Ahman. That didn't work out. He drafted an RB in rounds 2 and 7. We'll see. I'm actually most disappointed in the OL, and that's a position where we had 5 returning starters.

Jerry Tagge
09-11-2007, 02:42 PM
My first game ever at Lambeau Field was on November 29, 1998. Packers beat the Eagles 24-16. Mike Holmgren was the Packers coach and Ray Rhodes was the Eagles coach. Ty Detmer started at QB for the Eagles and I can't remember who started at QB for the Packers. I think it was Jim Del Gaizo.

MJZiggy
09-11-2007, 03:03 PM
My first game ever at Lambeau Field was on November 29, 1998. Packers beat the Eagles 24-16. Mike Holmgren was the Packers coach and Ray Rhodes was the Eagles coach. Ty Detmer started at QB for the Eagles and I can't remember who started at QB for the Packers. I think it was Jim Del Gaizo.

1998??? Brett Favre was the QB for the Packers in 1998...