PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Cottrill NFL Draft Almanac Chat Transcript March 29/06

woodbuck27
04-01-2006, 06:23 AM
For the whole transcript go to:

http://www.packerchatters.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=582&Itemid=2

I took portions of that chat for this post.

LMG-Moderator: Jeff welcome to PackerChatters Draft Chat and we thank you for taking the time to come in and give us your latest thoughts on the Draft which is only a month away. Jeff handles the player evaluations and rankings of draft eligible players for NFL Draft Almanac and his latest work is out now....ranking the Top 325 Players. Jeff when you are ready we'll have our Moderator this evening, faede, start asking for questions from our list of fans with us tonight.

BIG_LEGEND: I think Sims could end up as the best lber in this draft. Do you concur with this?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Sims is a risky player, but he has a high ceiling. I liked him in his early years at fsu, but have cooled on him a bit recently.

donalde2121: A few players that might slip to the later rounds that will be good values and/or steals?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: There are quite a few, but some guys I like are the two defensive tackles from lsu, Wroten and Kyle Williams. even bigger sleepers are guys like Antione Bethea. A toolsy small school safety.

Future36: Jeff i heard that the Saints are now looking at aj hawk to be the building block of the defense do u see them taking him at all and what do u see as the top five as of right now

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Hawk makes the most sense to me for the Saints. They have more holes than the Packers at linebacker. Right now, I'd say 1-Bush, 2-Hawk, 3-Leinart, 4-Ferguson, 5-Mario Williams

faede-moderator: GBP4EVER, your question please!

GBP4EVER: Who would the Packers consider at running back? Joseph Addai in the second round?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Addai is a guy I have liked for a while now. He sort of reminds me of Edgerrin James. In my mind he'd be a steal at the top of the 2nd

Madfan: I read rumors that the Pack is interested in Devin Hester. His skills as a retuner are apparent, but can he play a position, such as CB? Thanks!

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Hester is a bit of an enigma. There is little doubt he is a force in the return game, but things are not so sure at corner or receiver. Ted Thompson likes the toolsy that put up big numbers, so he is always a possibility

Mike1962: If Mario ends up at # 5 for the Pack, who do they take in the second round

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Well linebacker seems to be the biggest need and is a deep position, but receiver is also a possibility. A guy I like for them at linebacker there is D'Qwell Jackson out of Maryland. Maurice Stovall makes sense there if they go receiver. A lot will depend on who is there obviously

MattGeorge: sorry computer is real slow-Do you believe the Packers will stay at number 5 or trade for more picks. If not, who do you think they will pick and why?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: It makes sense in my mind to trade down, but if they stay Mario Williams makes the most sense even with Kampman and kgb. If they trade down, maybe a guy like Chad Greenway or Chad Jackson depending on how far down they go.

packfan86: What are your thoughts on D'Qwell Jackson? Can he play outside linebacker?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: I think he can play inside or outside linebacker. He might be better suuited inside though allowing Barnett to move to his more natural weak side position.

Randolph_Hiedler: Which QBs are the best fit for a traditional WCO and is Cutler worth the hype? Do you see the packers taking a QB at 5 if Favre retires to compete with Aaron Rodgers? if so, which one do the packers take? thank you for taking your time to spend with us.

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Quarterback seems very unlikely regardless of what happens with Favre. They seem to be playing the game in order to entice others to move up when they discuss that. I don't think Cutler is a top 15 guy. He needs a lot more work than some would have you beleive.

BIG_LEGEND: I have said for weeks now that the only two players the Packers would select in the top five are Bush or Williams and if neither player is there the Packers almost certainly trade down. With that being said, if it happens and they trade down as many as five spots to number 10 its Hawk, Huff, Davis and D. Williams in that order. If Woodson signs that eliminates Huff from the list. Does this make sense to you?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: It makes sense. I think they would consider guys like Hawk and Huff even at five. Davis is not out of the question that high either, but if they can pick up picks and still get one of those guys, I think they will be better off.

cheyenne11: Who do you think is the best player in this draft, regardless of position?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Mario Williams is easily my favorite player. He has the potential to be a game changing player at the defensive end position for years to come.

dabeene1: could you name a few players that you have heard the packers have interest in thoughout the draft? Do you have that kind of inside information?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Well I have some sources, but I don't know how inside they are. On my site I have listed with each player the teams that have shown interest in them. Some guys I have heard are Chad Jackson, Vernon Davis, Haloti Ngata, Daryn Colledge, and Santonio Holmes to name a few. I know there are plenty more though.

fargofootball: How far has Greenway fallen in the draft due to poor combine showing and falling down running the 40 at Iowa's pro day? Which team do you see him getting How far down has Chad Greenway fallen due to his poor combine showing and falling down running the 40 at Iowa's pro day and which team(s) do you see interested in him?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: It depends how much stock people put into workouts. If you watch the guy play, he's easily one of the best linebackers in the draft. I have heard a lot of teams still interested in him. I doubt he falls past the Giants. Heck the Packers are a possibility if they trade down.

jaysharpethebackpacker: 3 part question, how far does DeAngleo Williams fall, did you hear the Pack have intrest in him and who will have a bigger impact in his career, Williams or Bush..in your opinion?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: I have always been a big fan of Williams and would take him any day over Bush. I had Williams rated better than any back in last year's draft. I have heard the Packers had interest in him, but quite a few teams have. Too much has been made of his height which is a non-issue with the position. He should still go top 15.

jetfan: The Jets let another Ol sign elsewhere in Goodwin. Are they looking to go heavy for OL in the draft? By the way Packer fans and this site are great : )

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Well I would imagine they are taking a long look at Ferguson with their top pick, but o-line needs to be addressed for them early.

faede-moderator: We love you too Jetfan... but if you steal Mario Williams from us, we might have issues! ;) Knowntome, you're up, question please!

knowntome: Is there a guard that can come and shore up that position for the Pack that might be available in the second?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Darryn College is a tackle out of Boise, but he would make a fine left guard too. He should be around with their second pick, but I honestly don't see them going o-line early with the propensity to use lower picks on zone blocking o-linemen

Lombardi: true or false -- drafting Hawk would not allow the Barnett to the outside experiment cuz neither can cover the TE ???

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Well Hawk played the weakside at Ohio State, so I'm not sure his addition would allow Barnett to move outside. Hawk is a solid coverage guy, but I would not rely on him to be the man there too often.

Madfan: I'm interested in your opinion of Hagan (wr- AZ State). How do you rate him relative to Stovall? Are both likely to be drafted in the 2nd?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: I like both guys, but Stovall has the tools and size to fit what the Packers seem to be looking for in a receiver. He didn't start to shine until this year though, so I am a bit leary on him yet. Hagan is getting abused by the draft gurus for poor showings at the senior bowl. The offense he played in might have helped his numbers a bit, but he is still a solid receiver that can contribute right away. Stovall has a higher upside though

MoPack: It seems you are high on Davis...where do you rate Davis with other TE that are currently playing in the nfl?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: He has the potential to be right up there with guys like Gates & Gonzalez. His workout numbers were eyepopping, but his on-field performances were just as impressive. He looks to be a low risk player.

packfan86: Where does Antonio Cromartie fall in this draft with his raw talent?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: He'll go higher than he should. He's a very high risk taken as early as some are suggesting. The Deion comparisons are a bit off in my opinion. The fact that he only really started one year and is coming off a major injury scare me more than others I guess

Randolph_Hiedler: Who are the best pure Full Backs in this draft (no matter the size of the program they come from)? Is there any capable of replacing packers full back William Henderson?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Gilbert Harris is probably one of the best, but Bernstein is a favorite of mine too. I am a Badger fan though

ufgators5: How far down does Greenway fall in the 1st Round or does he fall to the early 2nd round???

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: He won't get out of the top 25. I would be surprised to see him fall out of the 15 actually

faede-moderator: Question from Moderator: FAEDE: If you were a team looking for a first round WR, would you take a Chad Jackson, Santonio Holmes or trade for a Javon Walker

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: If Walker didn't have the attitude problems I'd take him ahead of the others. I like Jackson, but Holmes has potential to be a Terry Glenn type player. Not the Green Bay Terry Glenn though. ;)

bram: If M. Williams is gone at #5, do you see the Pack taking Hawk or tading down? Is it more worthwhile to trade down if they can find a team that wants the pick for a QB? The Pack have many holes to fill. How does Aaron Rodgers stack up to this year's group?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Hawk could be gone too, but trading down depends on who is there and what teams are willing to give up to get the Packers' spot. I'd rate Rodgers ahead of Cutler, but behind Young and Leinart this year. He has the makings of a good quarterback though and made sense last year when they took him.

dhj42: In your mock draft...who do you have the Pack getting in the first 3 rounds??

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: In a perfect world they end up with Mario Williams, D'Qwell Jackson, & Kelly Jennings

jaysharpethebackpacker: Some label Hawk as the "safest" pick while other tag D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Who is, in your opinion and who is your sleeper pick and what round would they be picked?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: I'd say Ferguson is a safer pick, but Hawk should be solid as well. A sleeper? Terna Nande out of Miami Ohio. He's an outside linebacker with great measurables and could be a starter early on. He's probably a 3rd rounder.

jetfan: what positions have the best depth through the first 3 rounds? Thanks for taking the time.

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Outside linebacker, cornerback, and wide receiver have excellent depth that should carry at least through the fourth round. Tight end is another position that has quite a few solid players.

MoPack: Nagata did not have a good bowl game..looked slow and just was not much of a force. Do you think he is the best DT in the draft and just had a bad game and do you expect him to be taken in the top 10? Thank you.

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: I like Ngata and think that Bowl game performance is playing a little too much into the minds of some. He's a steal if he falls outside the top ten. The guy is 340 pounds and has less than 10% body fat. There are durability questions with him, but he is the type of guy that can anchor a line for years and make a whole defense look great.

Randolph_Hiedler: Bush is being made out to be a super star already, however people like me question his size and ability to stay healthy. I personally believe his nfl carreer will be short if he goes to a team that is lacking talent that will surround him. I believe that DeAngelo Williams has the build to be able to make it and take a big hit. Do you believe that Bush will be another guy that is injured all the time instead of making an impact? Don't you think he should be considered more of a Kick Returner?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: I have to agree with everything you said about Bush. I am not on his bandwagon, but he will likely be picked by the Texans. He reminds me more of Brian Westbrook than anyone else. I like Williams a lot more and feel that as long as he stays healthy (there are some issues there) he should be the better back when all is said and done

stevogbfan: hi jeff, do you think the packers will get an impact player at number 5 or will t.t. move up in the draft to get bush and how will walkers holdout affect this draft

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Well at 5, it's hard to imagine not getting an impact player especially when you consider the talent in this year's draft. Moving up for Bush is out of character for Thompson. If any trade is made it will likely be down. Walker isn't going anywhere unless they get a great deal for him. All indications are that Thompson is going to hold steady and force him to play if he wants out.

bram: You spoke about the Pack looking at OG latter in the draft. What's your thoughts on Mark Setterstrom on day two? His experience with the zone blocking scheme in Minnesota should be a plus. Also, what QB may pack look at on day two? Thanks for your time!

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Setterstrom would be a good fit as a fourth rounder. He's being overlooked now, but he could be much like Ben Hamilton has been for Denver. It's hard to say what they are looking for in a qb on day two. A guy that might work out nice is Brett Basenez from Northwestern. Ingle Martin from Furman is a solid sleeper at the position as well.

DWhitehurst: While I know it's being said that there is depth in this draft for linebackers, I guess based on the physical measurables I've seen, other than Carpenter, are there any other decent prospects in this draft to play sslb in the Pack's 4-3 defense? I see alot of prospects who have physical measurables suiting the weakside, but for strongside? Could you name a couple?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Carpenter is the best strong side prospect this year and I honestly see him going in the later part of the first round. Strong side is weak this year though. No one really stands out other than Carpenter.

fargofootball: You seem to prefer Jackson to Hodge. What makes Jackson a better prospect than Hodge in your opinion.

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: The ability to properly shed blocks more effecively and overall physical ability

Floridarob: can you compare Winslow Jr at the time of draft to Vernon Davis and Mike Huff to Sean Taylor...

fish123walleye: What do you see the Pack doing in the third round--Wide receiver or Cornerback?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Vernon Davis is a better prospect physically and he has been just as productive. He also doesn't possess the attitude problems of Winslow. Huff is worlds better in coverage than Taylor.

faede-moderator: we'll bounce back to fish's question quick... 3rd round WR or CB?

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: A lot depends on who is there and who they take with the first two picks. Corner and receiver should have good value in the third. Kelly Jennings would be my cornerback hoice & Devin Aromashodu of Auburn would be my receiver choice there

jess: what are your thoughts on cromartie and mcclover?
jess: draft position, etc

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Cromartie is getting possibly more hype than deserved. He is a very high risk as an early pick. I wouldn't take that chance until late 2nd round, but he'll likely go higher. McClover looks to be a solid pass rusher that will probably end up going no earlier than the 4th. As for Calhoun and Orr, early 2nd & 4th.

LMG-Moderator: This concludes tonights Draft Chat. We thank Jeff for stopping in and appreciate getting information from someone who is active all year long in the NFL draft business. Be sure to check out Jeff's work on their website, http://www.NFLDraftAlmanac.com . We will have a complete Chat Transcript up as usual on the PackerChatters Front Page later this evening.

faede-moderator: Thank you to everyone! it's been a fun chat.. nice work! Thanks Jeff for stopping by, we sure do appreciate it!

Jeff.Cottrill-NFLDraftAlmanac: Thanks guys.

Bretsky
04-01-2006, 06:34 AM
WOW; some great views in here Wood.

Geez, it seems as of late Da Hawk supporters are growing too thin. That surprises me quite a bit. Hawk was colleges best defensive player last year and is very #5 worthy. I have a feeling I'll be crying Hawk and Odell next year.

woodbuck27
04-01-2006, 07:04 AM
WOW; some great views in here Wood.

Geez, it seems as of late Da Hawk supporters are growing too thin. That surprises me quite a bit. Hawk was colleges best defensive player last year and is very #5 worthy. I have a feeling I'll be crying Hawk and Odell next year.

Ha Ha ! You don't get off so easy Brett.

Your likely feeling redeemed, reading the article I just posted on Hawk over Williams @ #5.

The life of the Packer GM has to be difficult.