PDA

View Full Version : For fun, I will compare the super soph LB's in the NFC North

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I will do this after every game. Any predictions numbers wise on any of the three??

Greenway 4 tackles, 6 assists
Hawk 4 tackles, 1 assist
Sims 7 tackles, 1 assist

Impressive first game for Greenway.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 04:54 PM
6 assisted tackles for Greenway? Were the Packers hometown scorekeepers there?

Greenway should have a good year. The Williams boys in the middle are a pretty decent pair of DTs to play behind.

My guess is that Hawk has slightly fewer tackles than Sims--mostly because he plays for a better defense. Hawk will have more big plays. Just like last year. Not sure about Greenway. I haven't seen him yet. I doubt he'll be in the same class as those two this year. I think he has good potential, but he's not quite the same athlete those guys are, and he needs to get stronger. When he does reach his potential, I expect he'll be a good starter.

Was any of the guys clearly better last year?

Hawk = 119 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 6 passes defensed, 2 interceptions, 1 forced fumble

Sims = 124 tackles, 0.5 sacks, 1 pass defensed, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles

Greenway = DNP

BallHawk
09-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Hawk and Simms produced very similar numbers, but I'd say Hawk had a bit more impact on his team than Simms.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I think all three have great potential but my guessis that Sims will eventually be the biggest playmaker but I hope I'm wrong. My guess is that Hawk is more solid but won't be as spectacular.

Rastak
09-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I will do this after every game. Any predictions numbers wise on any of the three??

Greenway 4 tackles, 6 assists
Hawk 4 tackles, 1 assist
Sims 7 tackles, 1 assist

Impressive first game for Greenway.

Greenway was a little rough in the first half but played quite well in the second.

I'm guessing Harvey taped the game and counted the tackles....right Harv?

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Lighten up, Francis. It was a good joke. My buddy at work thought Greenway struggled at times. I didn't watch the game close enough. He thought the rest of the defense was mint. Apparently, even Kenechi Udeze had a sack. Of course, he smart enough to state that Joey Harrington is pathetic, and that he has always hung on the ball too long. He also thought Tarvaris struggled, but he said that he thought Ryan Cook was solid. Of course, he loves Adrian Peterson. For whatever it's worth.

I couldn't really careless about Greenway or Sims. Kind of tiring though. Sims has more tackles--in a game where his defense gave up 21 points to a pathetic Oakland offense. Big deal. Bulldog doesn't seem to start a post about Hawk when he has good games.

I want him to start a post that says: Sims might be a better player down the line, but A.J. Hawk was a better player as a rookie than Ernie Sims. Clearly, he was much more of a playmaker.

Rastak
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Lighten up, Francis. It was a good joke. My buddy at work thought Greenway struggled at times. I didn't watch the game close enough. He thought the rest of the defense was mint. Apparently, even Kenechi Udeze had a sack. Of course, he smart enough to state that Joey Harrington is pathetic, and that he has always hung on the ball too long. He also thought Tarvaris struggled, but he said that he thought Ryan Cook was solid. Of course, he loves Adrian Peterson. For whatever it's worth.

I couldn't really careless about Greenway or Sims. Kind of tiring though. Sims has more tackles--in a game where his defense gave up 21 points to a pathetic Oakland offense. Big deal. Bulldog doesn't seem to start a post about Hawk when he has good games.

I want him to start a post that says: Sims might be a better player down the line, but A.J. Hawk was a better player as a rookie than Ernie Sims. Clearly, he was much more of a playmaker.

Greenway's play improved as the game went on. Udeze got his sack with one second left, so it wasn't that impressive. Yes Harrington sucks, but he beat this team last year with the Dolphins, who were not all that great last year....probably better than this Falcons team. Jackson wasn't too impressive, but didn't play poorly either.

Lurker64
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
I think all three have great potential but my guessis that Sims will eventually be the biggest playmaker but I hope I'm wrong. My guess is that Hawk is more solid but won't be as spectacular.

At the same time, Sims is a concussion or two from being forced to retire by doctors. He plays like a madman, which makes him good, but that's also responsible for his share of concussions as a result. As we saw with Steve Young, enough of those make you hang up your cleats.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sims was a perennial all-star in 5 years and I wouldn't be surprised if he was out of the league in 5 years.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 08:45 PM
I didn't think AJ had a bad game, he was just quiet and 56 had one hell of a game. Hawk's only real bad moment was the whiff on Westy but I think Urlacher is the only player that makes that play.

the_idle_threat
09-10-2007, 08:48 PM

At the same time, Sims is a concussion or two from being forced to retire by doctors. He plays like a madman, which makes him good, but that's also responsible for his share of concussions as a result. As we saw with Steve Young, enough of those make you hang up your cleats.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sims was a perennial all-star in 5 years and I wouldn't be surprised if he was out of the league in 5 years.

The Lurker beat me to this excellent point. Good job, Lurker. :idea:

RashanGary
09-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Hawk is a super stud. I'm not worried at all.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I am warmimg to Hawk but as of now he isn't even our best LB

RashanGary
09-10-2007, 08:51 PM

I disagree. Hawk is a stud. Barnett is damn good too.

BallHawk
09-10-2007, 09:02 PM

I agree with that statement.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Your drinking the kool aid again like you were about the running game but that isn't nescessarily a bad thing. I have a feeling your forcast about the running game will haunt you but we all say stuff that makes us look ignorant, me more than most :lol:

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 09:04 PM
56 is playing very big and he might be taking on the leadership role that our youthful D needs.

RashanGary
09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Your drinking the kool aid again like you were about the running game but that isn't nescessarily a bad thing. I have a feeling your forcast about the running game will haunt you but we all say stuff that makes us look ignorant, me more than most :lol:

The running game has a couple games here to get solidified. That said, it sure does look like I was wrong about that Oline. They were dreadfull. We'll see where it goes from here. It's not doom and gloom yet, but it's a lot closer than I exected it to be.

BallHawk
09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
56 is playing very big and he might be taking on the leadership role that our youthful D needs.

As far as I know, he's established himself in that leader position for quite some time.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I didn't see it but I do now, I guess I'm a tad sloooow.

RashanGary
09-10-2007, 09:09 PM

Barnett has looked better in pass coverage than I ever remember him. The Dline is doing a better job so the back 7 seems to be jumping routes more instead of having to be hesitant knowing they had to cover for a long time.

I was impressed with Barnett in that game, more-so than Hawk. It was one game though. Hawk is a tough guy. Ron Wolf compared him to Jack Hamm. Wolf said the guy never got uprooted. That is strong praise from a respected, old school NFL personel guy.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Hawk is fine and will be fine, it is only year two for him. he needs to improve on his coverage like all the young backers in the league. I love his nastiness.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 09:12 PM
I know or should I say I think Hawk times faster than Nick but behind Urlacher, Barnett to me is the fastest LB on the field.

RashanGary
09-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Hawk is fine and will be fine, it is only year two for him. he needs to improve on his coverage like all the young backers in the league. I love his nastiness.

Yep, I love nasty defense. I believe very strongly in tough, hard hitting defense. You light a WR up accross the middle on one play and he's out of it for the whole drive. You knock a QB's head off the turf or drive your helmet into his blind side and they probably arn't getting too many more first downs on that drive and maybe for the whole quarter. IF you have a whole defense of tough guys, a defense is unstoppable.

Hawk is one of those guys. Barnett is not. I like Barnett a lot but I like Hawk better. It's nice to have both for a long time though.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Greenway's play improved as the game went on. Udeze got his sack with one second left, so it wasn't that impressive. Yes Harrington sucks, but he beat this team last year with the Dolphins, who were not all that great last year....probably better than this Falcons team. Jackson wasn't too impressive, but didn't play poorly either.

I'm happy for you that the Vikings won. Only for you though.
:D

However, I'm not sure it will be that impressive at the end of the year. Maybe it will be. I remember the Vikings winning two similar type games over Washington and Carolina at the beginning of last year to start out 2-0. I think this week should tell us a lot about Minnesota and Detroit. I think the winner might surprise people this year.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Atlanta will have a top 5 pick next season.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Nick is fast and Hawk is physical but still not slow.

Cheesehead Craig
09-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Greenway is going to be a good LB. He has a nice nose for the ball and from what I did see of the game, he did a nice job. It was his first game in 2 years, so the line is impressive.

Lurker64
09-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Which is good for them, since they desperately need a QB. They can have their pick of Brohm, Brennan, Henne, Woodson, or Ainge.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Greenway is going to be a good LB. He has a nice nose for the ball and from what I did see of the game, he did a nice job. It was his first game in 2 years, so the line is impressive.

Quite honestly, I wasn't that big on him out of college. He was a Big 10 boy, but big deal. Plenty of Big 10 successes and flops. He was a little thin for a LB, and he's solid but not great athletic. Hodge was more impressive at Iowa. However, he has enough athleticsm to do well, and LB is more than just athletic ability. Otherwise, Dontarrious Thomas and Torrance Marshall would be Pro Bowlers. I think Greenway will be a good player. I haven't watched him too closely this year, but last year I still felt like he need some bulk on his frame. Maybe he has with the year off. Of course, even if he had struggled against Atlanta, I'd say he needs time to develop. I do like E.J. Henderson. I think the light went off from him last year. I think he'll do well--even moving back to MLB (a position he struggled at in the past).

b bulldog
09-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Patrick Willis, 11 tackles ,1 forced fumle. The guy looked like a beast last night. 49ers got a new stud LB on their D.

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Patrick Willis, 11 tackles ,1 forced fumle. The guy looked like a beast last night. 49ers got a new stud LB on their D.

Patrick Willis, if healthy, is a probowler for a long time. Hawk is a little tougher, but Willis is Barnett on steroids. He's Ray Lewis like. I was in awe of the plays he made in college. That guy is an absolute beast the way he moves and explodes through tackles. He's Sims (athelticly) but he's not dumb like Sims. I think Hawk is far better than Sims but I would not be at all suprised if Willis is the best young 4-3 LB in the game right now.

b bulldog
09-11-2007, 10:33 PM
We are all entitled to our opinions and the fun thing is, is that we will get to see most of these guys quite often so comparisons should be easy. To me,Willis is the best LB prospect to have come out of college in years. he is a beast.

mraynrand
09-12-2007, 06:49 AM

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/tv_pix/emmys/emmy_awards_arrivals_2003_photos/gary_coleman/emmy3.jpg

Gary Coleman/Ray Rhodes

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I do see the Rhodes resemblance.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-12-2007, 06:22 PM

Which is good for them, since they desperately need a QB. They can have their pick of Brohm, Brennan, Henne, Woodson, or Ainge.

They are taking brohm, if they can. Having Joey is a guarantee of reuniting brohm with petrino. Walks in knowing the offense.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Agree, looks like Bobby will get his college QB.

b bulldog
09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Hawk this week had 4 tackles, 0 assists.
Greenway had 4 tackles, 2 assists
Sims had 3 tackles, 6 assists.

Partial
09-16-2007, 09:21 PM

Patrick Willis, if healthy, is a probowler for a long time. Hawk is a little tougher, but Willis is Barnett on steroids. He's Ray Lewis like. I was in awe of the plays he made in college. That guy is an absolute beast the way he moves and explodes through tackles. He's Sims (athelticly) but he's not dumb like Sims. I think Hawk is far better than Sims but I would not be at all suprised if Willis is the best young 4-3 LB in the game right now.

He plays in a 3-4. He's played one game. Let's give it a little time.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2007, 09:35 PM
The Lions really went after Greenway in the passing game. Of course, that doesn't show up much in the stats. Who cares really. BTW, Mario went up against professional OTs this week and had 1 tackle and 0 sacks. Of course, that just stats. As far as I know, he could have dominated. Vernon Davis is up to 25 yards receiving on the year--which is 12 less than Bubba and 37 less than Lee.

RashanGary
09-16-2007, 09:43 PM
I was REALLY wrong on Vernon Davis. I saw him bitch slapping DB's and LB's and I pictured him doing that in GB. I'm happy to have been wrong considering the way things panned out.

Partial
09-16-2007, 09:46 PM

I agree with that statement.

3rded

He is playing like a man among boys. He looks like an absolute beast this year.

b bulldog
09-16-2007, 09:49 PM
mario looked like the Mario from 06 from what my buddy said.