PDA

View Full Version : Knee injuries sideline Bears' Brown, Dvoracek

Brandon494
09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3013189

Wow Brown just can not stay healthy for them.

pack4to84
09-10-2007, 06:31 PM
See you guys should have picked the Pack to win division like I did.

VanPackFan
09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
It didn't look like the Bears defence had regressed at all when I watched them versus San Diego. Very impressive for the most part.
BUT... if that defence comes back to Earth even a little bit the Bears could be in trouble because it seems fairly obvious that Grossman is not improved at all, and may even have regressed over the off-season.

Having said that, the Packers have troubles in their own house to take care of (o-line and running game). Fix things internally and it doesn't matter what Chicago does, the Packers will be better.

vince
09-10-2007, 06:39 PM
It didn't look like the Bears defence had regressed at all when I watched them versus San Diego. Very impressive for the most part.
BUT... if that defence comes back to Earth even a little bit the Bears could be in trouble because it seems fairly obvious that Grossman is not improved at all, and may even have regressed over the off-season.

Having said that, the Packers have troubles in their own house to take care of (o-line and running game). Fix things internally and it doesn't matter what Chicago does, the Packers will be better.
Van, you got it goin' on. Stick around pal. Some of the best Packer fans throughout the world hang out here, and you're one of 'em. Welcome aboard!

VanPackFan
09-10-2007, 06:41 PM
I usually just read message boards to get a sense of what fans are thinking. But this board seems to be pretty entertaining if only because there is so much polarization between fans of the same team.
Packer fans are more passionate than we Canadians are about our hockey, and that is saying an awful lot.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Out for the year, big loss

Deputy Nutz
09-10-2007, 09:11 PM
How is this a loss for the Bears? They have played the last 4 years without him, they should know what to do at this point.

b bulldog
09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
leadership wise it is a huge blow for them and Dusty was thought to have a big year alongside Harris.

Bretsky
09-10-2007, 09:16 PM

How true it is; I can't even imagine GB trying to run the ball versus Minnesota or the Bears.

At least we get the Giants next week. Their defense is pretty pathetic and we should be able to improve from game one.

Bossman641
09-10-2007, 11:41 PM
No surpise here, brown gets injured every year. Tough break for him.

That Bears DLine is looking awfully thin now

GrnBay007
09-10-2007, 11:46 PM

Welcome VanPackFan!!

Good post too.

Iron Mike
09-11-2007, 07:33 AM
What do the Bears need those guys for?

They still have the Sex Cannon to chuck it downfield!!!!

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/2664/2061/320/958959/grossmanwk14.jpg

VanPackFan
09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
So here's an honest question and an invitation to put yourself in the stinky, hole-ridden shoes of the Chicago Bears.
IF you are Lovie Smith, how long is your fuse with Rexy this year? Is he still at the point in his career where you consider him a developing young quarterback that needs to be handled with kid gloves? Do you run the risk of destroying his fragile psyche in order to gain more advantage short term from Brian Griese? Do you even consider Griese an upgrade, considering he hasn't had significant playing time in the last two years?

IMO the Bears are in a very unenviable position... they're a team that's built to win now with a quarterback who appears to be a 'win later at best' option.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2007, 11:31 AM
How long is your fuse with Rexy this year?

If I'm Lovie Smith, I have a moderate leash. Minnesota, Detroit, and Green Bay all won. Minnesota and Detroit beat bad teams, and you have to expect that Green Bay isn't going to be lights out. So, figure 10 wins gets the division or at least the playoffs. If they start horribly (say, 2-4), then you make the switch. However, if you are around .500 or a bit better, you probably keep him out there longer. I'd say that if it's midseason and Grossman hasn't improved, you go with Griese.

Is he still at the point in his career where you consider him a developing young quarterback that needs to be handled with kid gloves?

While it's only his second full season as a starter, this is his 5th year in the league. No, I don't think you treat him like a developing QB anymore.

Do you run the risk of destroying his fragile psyche in order to gain more advantage short term from Brian Griese?

Possibly, but they have aspirations for the Super Bowl, so they can't worry about that.

Do you even consider Griese an upgrade, considering he hasn't had significant playing time in the last two years?

I think he could be an upgrade. It might be worth trying. I think he's kind of gotten a bad rap over the years. Stats aren't everything, but he has a solid 84.5 rating in his career. His last year as a starter, he completed 69.3% of his passes with 20 TDs and 12 interceptions in 11 games.

Freak Out
09-11-2007, 11:52 AM
How long is your fuse with Rexy this year?

Short...if he really starts stinking it up bench him. If Griese blows his chance what have you lost?

Is he still at the point in his career where you consider him a developing young quarterback that needs to be handled with kid gloves?

No..he has had how long to learn the system? His mistakes cost the team wins. He needs to understand failure to correct those mistakes will cost him his job.

Do you run the risk of destroying his fragile psyche in order to gain more advantage short term from Brian Griese?

No...does he have a fragile psyche? I think he needs to get his ass handed to him by Lovie.

Do you even consider Griese an upgrade, considering he hasn't had significant playing time in the last two years?

Sure. If Grossman falters I would start Griese. I believe if given the chance Griese could get in a groove with the recievers and do some damage.[/quote]

Jerry Tagge
09-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Rexy and Mr. Fumble Cedric Benson will lead the Bears to their rightful place - last place.

FritzDontBlitz
09-11-2007, 06:45 PM
i dont believe anyone was treating dan marino like a kid after he lost HIS first super bowl.

and he made it there as a rookie.

rex cant be looked at as "being groomed" anymore. groomed for what? he's already been to the big dance. he needs to start acting like it.

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 06:56 PM
This is a huge blow to the Bears defense. They are going to wear down in the 4th quarter and Urlacher has had bad years when he wasn't protected.

Also, it will be a lot easier to handle Harris when they are thin at the other DT position. This is a big blow to the middle of the Bears defense. Look for the Packers to have the best defense in the North this year.

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Rex so far has looked ok. I saw no problems with him Sunday. I did see a problem with the play calling since the Bears kept trying to run in the second half when they were able to shred the middle of the Chargers D in the air.

Brown being injured hurts cuz he is a leader. Dusty getting injured isnt as bad a blow cuz it just makes the Bears D-line very good instead of super good. the depth is still there. #99 will be along side Harris most snaps.

That being said you guys should worry more about home and your running game. We have fumbles in the first game, and I will chalk that up to the first game action. Look at how many fumbles decided games in the first week. And as much as you all may talk about Rex, Brett isnt looking too hot right now. But I dont think it will be hard against a soft giants defense. Enjoy the cake walk while you can. Cuz then here comes them Chargers.

cheesner
09-11-2007, 07:06 PM
I am thinking Dvorack is the bigger loss here. He was already replacing Tank in the starting lineup. They now have to move on to their #4 guy into the starting ranks. They are used to not having Brown back there.

As JH pointed out above, Urlacher needs those big bodies in front of him.

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Darwin Walker - 294
Tommy Harris - 295
Antonio Garay - 303
Anthony Adams - 300

These are the guys that are supposed to be protecting Urlacher. I can't imagine this will be Brians best year.

Lurker64
09-11-2007, 07:15 PM
What's the Bear's depth chart look like at DT right now?

It looks like they have Harris backed up by Garay at DT and Walker backed up by Adams at NT and nobody else in either spot. Harris is great, but that's perilously thin. Evaluating DTs is hard, but cursory inspection seems to put Adams, Garay, and Walker in the "just a guy" category. Am I wrong?

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Walker and Harris are pretty good. After that, they are in trouble. I see a defense that could easily wear down in the 2nd half.

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Darwin Walker - 294
Tommy Harris - 295
Antonio Garay - 303
Anthony Adams - 300

These are the guys that are supposed to be protecting Urlacher. I can't imagine this will be Brians best year.
He had guys like this in front of him the past 4 years. They play a one gap defense that works well with smaller quick linemen like the Bears like to use. They havent used big linemen since Dick Juron was the coach and Brian has only gotten better.

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 07:26 PM
He had guys like this in front of him the past 4 years. They play a one gap defense that works well with smaller quick linemen like the Bears like to use. They havent used big linemen since Dick Juron was the coach and Brian has only gotten better.

I see the Bears taking a big step back this year. They will be pushed hard by the Packers.

Dabaddestbear
09-11-2007, 07:26 PM
What's the Bear's depth chart look like at DT right now?

It looks like they have Harris backed up by Garay at DT and Walker backed up by Adams at NT and nobody else in either spot. Harris is great, but that's perilously thin. Evaluating DTs is hard, but cursory inspection seems to put Adams, Garay, and Walker in the "just a guy" category. Am I wrong?
Trust me Walker is more than Just a guy. And Garay is pretty good against the Run. Time will tell though.