PDA

View Full Version : Will Spitz Lose His Job?

Scott Campbell
09-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Costen's been playing well, and it might be hard for Spitz to get back into the lineup.

From McCarthy's press conference today:

(Did Coston play better than Spitz had?)
Well, Jason's calf started to tighten up there, probably two or three series before he went out. But I think we talked about Juice in here the other day. Just the fact that he's backing up all five positions on the offensive line tells you what we think of him and what he's done. He's definitely pushing those guys. He'll play the right guard position as we go into Wednesday, based on Spitz's status.

(How did he do when you watched the tape?)
I thought he did OK. He did a solid job, he did a good job. But as a group, that offensive line, the continuity and everything they do together, sometimes it's hard to sit there and say one guy played great and the other guy didn't. I know it happens. We have a lot of work to do, but I thought Juice did a nice job when he got in there.

(Is that a position where if Spitz is healthy, could it be 50-50 as far as deciding who to go with?)
Personally, I'm not a big fan of that, but it's something you could definitely justify. There's some sentiment in our room that feels Juice Coston is at that level, to push for a starting position. The flip side of that is the continuity you're trying to establish with five guys. So I'm not opposed to it, and that's something we have talked about.

Sef0r
09-10-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't know about you but I think this could be bad news for Scott Wells.

Didn't someone post a rumor (READ: RUMOR) saying that the Packers sort of regret having given Scott Wells all that money? Jason Spitz suits the Center position better so in the future if guys keep progressing, the line could be:

LT, LG, C, RG, RT
Darren Colledge, Allen Babre, Jason Spitz, Junius Coston, Tony Moll

Am I drinking cool aid? For now....yes

Bretsky
09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
If we had some veteran depth a few people would have been sat down at times yesterday. The interior OL of Well, Spitz, and Colledge were pushed around like blocking dummies

VanPackFan
09-10-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm happy with this IF Spitz is losing his job because he's being pushed by Coston.
I'm unhappy with this IF Spitz is losing his job because he sucks and they want to see if Coston sucks less.
It's a fine line.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 08:32 PM

Didn't someone post a rumor (READ: RUMOR) saying that the Packers sort of regret having given Scott Wells all that money? Jason Spitz suits the Center position better so in the future if guys keep progressing, the line could be:

LT, LG, C, RG, RT

The rumor about Wells? Never heard of that one. Sorry, you'll have to post that one here if you find it. Maybe that was Joe Arrigo. The Packers coaches like Wells.

CaliforniaCheez
09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Spitz will not be cut. he will not lose his employment.

Taking some time off so the condition does not worsen might be a good thing. It is a long season.

green_bowl_packer
09-10-2007, 09:47 PM

LT, LG, C, RG, RT

The rumor about Wells? Never heard of that one. Sorry, you'll have to post that one here if you find it. Maybe that was Joe Arrigo. The Packers coaches like Wells.

http://www.packerupdate.com/packer_update/2007/08/index.html

from the August 16th post What We're Hearing post . . .
Nobody will ever admit it, but we’ve been told that Thompson now regrets giving Scott Wells a $15 million extension last November. The former Tennessee star is an above-average center, but the coaches think that starting right guard Jason Spitz could play the position even better. Plus, young linemen Allen Barbre and Tony Palmer are having very solid camps....

That rumor was from the Packer Update site who seems to have a "connection/scout/Arrigo-esque source" who feeds them info. They've also stated that no one mentions that Clifton and Tauscher are still trying to figure out the zone blocking scheme (or aren't cut out for it) and consistently can't make the block on the back side.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Even that rumor doesn't state that they think Wells isn't good--just that they think Spitz is a better player. Seems outlandish now--since Spitz basically got benched in the first game of the season. Apparently, the coaches aren't that enamored with him.

Patler
09-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Even that rumor doesn't state that they think Wells isn't good--just that they think Spitz is a better player. Seems outlandish now--since Spitz basically got benched in the first game of the season. Apparently, the coaches aren't that enamored with him.

When Spitz was drafted many of the comments from scouts etc. were that he would eventually be a center, and might struggle as a guard. They seemed to think center fit his mauling style better, more natural for him. We might see it happen in a year or two.

falco
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM

When Spitz was drafted many of the comments from scouts etc. were that he would eventually be a center, and might struggle as a guard. They seemed to think center fit his mauling style better, more natural for him. We might see it happen in a year or two.

but can he consistently get the snap count wrong? thats certainly wells expertise.

wist43
09-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Wells is the weakest link on a weak line.

They may have given him a dump truck full of money, but he's barely able to hold his own against average DT's, and gets the living snot kicked out of him against the fat guys.

He's great in space and on the move... which you would expect from an OL that isn't much bigger than some teams FB's.

I haven't watched the whole game thru, but have watched some, and from what I've watched, Colledge was terrible.

Colledge and Wells were so bad, I haven't gotten around to looking at Spitz or Coston yet... Clifton also looked pretty bleak in the few snaps I watched him.

Patler
09-10-2007, 10:11 PM

They may have given him a dump truck full of money, but he's barely able to hold his own against average DT's, and gets the living snot kicked out of him against the fat guys.

He's great in space and on the move... which you would expect from an OL that isn't much bigger than some teams FB's.

I haven't watched the whole game thru, but have watched some, and from what I've watched, Colledge was terrible.

Colledge and Wells were so bad, I haven't gotten around to looking at Spitz or Coston yet... Clifton also looked pretty bleak in the few snaps I watched him.

They all looked bad at times, Tauscher too. No running game, 4 sacks and 11 QB hits pretty much says it all because no one lineman was primarily at fault. It was a collective effort at sucking by all of them.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2007, 10:11 PM
nobody said Spitz couldn;t play guard back in December when the line was playing well.

I'm confused about the O-line. We need another couple games to see where they are trending as individuals and as a group.

Patler
09-10-2007, 10:26 PM
nobody said Spitz couldn;t play guard back in December when the line was playing well.

I'm confused about the O-line. We need another couple games to see where they are trending as individuals and as a group.

Actually, even the coaching staff said Spitz tailed off at the end of the year last year. Colledge was said to have "come on" as the season progressed. They have always talked about Spitz as an eventual option at center, and he practiced some there last season too. I think he even took a few plays at center when Wells was out with an equipment problem in one game. Its not that he can't play guard, but he might be a better center.

Don't forget, Frank Winters was a part time starter at guard for the Packers and was considered both a center and a guard until Campen was hurt and Winters moved to center full time. SPitz could be headed down the same path.

I agree more than one game is needed for any meaningful assessment of the line for 2007, but my patience will be much shorter this year than last.

Carolina_Packer
09-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Yeah, there's really no surprise recipe for success on offense. It starts up front. Some backs are better than others, but all of these backs are in the pros and if they get a hole to run thorugh, they'll be able to use their abilities. If they don't, they'll struggle. Same with Favre. If he gets enough seconds of pass protection, he will usually find the right receiver, assuming that guy can get separation. But again, it all starts up front. This team may yet gel on the O-line, but it will take a few games. Perhaps having dodged a bullet against Philly will be the wake-up call and they will come together better.

If you're going to use so many young guys, call it what it is...rebuilding. When you rebuild with young guys, teams tend to struggle and grow-up. Being consistent in the NFL may be the hardest thing.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2007, 04:34 AM

I agree about Wells. He's to small and to weak, and unless we get stronger up front we will never have a good running game, ZBS or no ZBS.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2007, 07:33 AM
I agree about Wells. He's to small and to weak

i've read that Wells is the strongest guy in the weight room. But I suppose when you have stubby, munchkin arms that extend 16 inches, it's not hard to lift a lot of weight. :)

I haven't noticed Wells getting pushed around. And the camp reports were that he won most blocking drillings against the Packer D-linemen.

But..... damn, he is so small. I could believe it if those 320 pound linemen could lift him up and toss him in the air, doesn't matter how strong he is. Just haven't seen it with my own eyes.

retailguy
09-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Not true. Not at all. Bretsky and I have been saying it all offseason. Spitz is the weak link on this line. Wells is adequate, but in my opinion he is maxed out. Colledge is more of a tackle than a guard, but is OK there compared to the other two.

This is NOT a good line. Not by any stretch. Could they develop? Sure they could. And I could get an 18 year old girlfriend too, but it's not likely... :P And if I did, it would be shortlived anyhow. My wife would kill both of us... :wink:

pittstang5
09-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm just wondering where Moll would be in this situation if he wasn't injured. I know they primarily had him playing behind Tausch in TC, that is, when he wasn't hurt. However, he did play a little RG last year early when Colledge was benched and even when Spitz was injured for a game or two. I don't know what it is, but Coston as a back up just doesn't help me sleep at night. Moll would be my 1st choice, but that's not an option at the moment.

Maybe is just early in the season yet, but this line has me worried. The play against Philly was horrible and they better.....THEY HAVE TO get it fixed now. The Giants D-line, besides Stahan, might not have many household names, but I can guarantee the Giants Coaching staff will try their best to exploit this obvious weakness. San Diego is going to have a field day if they don't step up.

woodbuck27
09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Fr. thread. . . Interview with Assistant Coach's following win over the Eagles:

How did Junius Coston do when he replaced Jason Spitz?

He was solid. He came in and did a nice job. There were one or two times when he gave up some pressure on the quarterback where he didn't handle the spike of the defensive tackle very well and there was one twist that he could have passed off a little bit cleaner, but overall he was solid.

How much is his pushing for a starting job?

We all sat down together and watched the film and evaluated the tape but we really didn't talk personnel yet. We'll probably wait until tomorrow when we set the game plan and determine who's exactly available.

Obviously Jason (Spitz) has a little bit of an injury issue. How severe that is, I don't know at this point.

How has Coston improved?

He's been more physical at the point of attack, he's moving guys, he's one of the more physical guys that we have. And we like what he's doing. He's always had that good athleticism.

Note woodbuck27:

This physical side of Coston was something that I saw as his strong suit coming out of College. He had a lot of pancake blocks in college ball.

Bretsky
09-11-2007, 03:51 PM

Not true. Not at all. Bretsky and I have been saying it all offseason. Spitz is the weak link on this line. Wells is adequate, but in my opinion he is maxed out. Colledge is more of a tackle than a guard, but is OK there compared to the other two.

This is NOT a good line. Not by any stretch. Could they develop? Sure they could. And I could get an 18 year old girlfriend too, but it's not likely... :P And if I did, it would be shortlived anyhow. My wife would kill both of us... :wink:

Yes, get your crap together HH; I've never been on the Spit Wagon :lol: