PDA

View Full Version : 9-11...six years later

Kiwon
09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
It's 8:46 am on Tuesday, September 11 here in Korea already.

I was in the States six years ago filling in at my friend's business when I saw everything unfold on TV.

It was and is a sad day for me. :cry:

packinpatland
09-10-2007, 07:36 PM
We all feel this way. What a sad day.

mraynrand
09-10-2007, 10:08 PM
LET'S ROLL!

moveon.org can bite me. There's something truly valuable to protect here in America and it isn't moveon's contrarian radical egalitarianism and radical individualism, nor is it exploiting cheap labor in China for profits. It is at least the spirit of tenacity, inventiveness, hard work, higher purpose, love of family and country, love of freedom, best exemplified by our troops and the passengers of United 93 who wouldn't go down without a fight.

Joemailman
09-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Remember 9/11: Always

Live In Fear and sacrifice freedoms because of 9/11: Never

MadtownPacker
09-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Just heard that today is the first time that Sept 11 is on the same day (Tuesday) as in 2001.

I remember I was driving to work in the morning, heard it come on the radio. I seriously thought of turning back and going home in case World War III had started.

GBRulz
09-11-2007, 08:38 AM
This is def a time where everyone will always remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.

My Mom came into town the day before and I took Tuesday off work as we were going shopping that day. I don't think we made it off the couch, were just glued in front of the TV in disbelief.

I had slept in a little that day and when I woke up, she's like "Wow, a plane hit the WTC" - then I saw the 2nd one hit, it changed everything, we knew we were under attack.

I also was at the Packer game the following Monday night. It was the first MNF game since the attacks. I can't explain the feeling of seeing the US flag shaped as the United States on the field and also for the first time, hearing the National Anthem broughts chills and tears to my eyes.

packinpatland
09-11-2007, 09:36 AM
My husband is flying home today................I'll admit, I'm a bit uneasy.

I remember in the days after, driving down to visit my daughter at school, when we went over the Tapanzee bridge, Manhattan was clearly visibly to the left...............smoke. No planes in the skies that day, being so close to Newark and JFK and not seeing any, was eerie. The commuter parking lot in the little town of Madison NJ, had plenty of 'uncollected' cars. Driving into town the lamp posts were swathed in RWB flags............and black ribbons.

Today is a dark rainy day...........stark contrast to the bright beautiful morning six years ago.

MJZiggy
09-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Let the rain put your mind a bit more at ease. They couldn't have done what they did on a day like today.

I remember the fighter jets in the days after 9/11. I know they were supposed to be protecting us and making us feel safer, but for me they had the opposite effect. Still if one flies over I get kinda edgy because I wonder if something happened.

This is the Pentagon this morning:

http://www.wtopnews.com/emedia/apimage/9ea3fbfb-3e17-41f9-8622-fb77dd080365.jpg

Deputy Nutz
09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
I was still in College, So I was sleeping in, didn't have class until ten in the morning. I heard that a plane had hit one of the towers, Tom Bernard who I was listening to and his possey were all confused, so was I. They of course didn't know the reason. I went downstairs and turned on the tv. As soon as the tv was on, that is when the other plan hit the other tower and the whole world knew this wasn't some unfortunate accident. It was the work of assholes.

I went to school for class and right before I jumped on I94 to River Falls, the towers came tumbling down. Tragic, I thought of friends in the New York area and I prayed that they would all be safe.

At ten o'clock I started some math class and the professor told us that he didn't know much, but that now America feels like the rest of the world. He said it like it was no big deal, that two of the largest buildings in the world came crashing down in one of th worlds largest cities, at that point citing the death toll would be just a sad sad guess. I got up and walked out his class in disgust. I am sure he was just as shocked as everyone else but his feeble liberal mind couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that he was an American and it was a time that all Americans needed to bond together in that terrible sorrow and try to strengthen each other. We didn't need to be compared to Bangladesh, or Palestine.

I went to my next class a couple of hours later, biology, and this teacher made a startling point, our lives were going to change. We would never be able to travel the same, our identities were going to become open record, our lives would be opened up and dissected without discretion, our personal lives would no longer just be our own, big brother would be watching ten fold.

I was pissed at him for saying this, I thought it was a slam on the President, and the government, but I realized he was right and it scared the hell out of me.

MJZiggy
09-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I was going to a momsclub meeting in the morning and my husband called and told me not to go because a plane had hit the WTC. I was picturing a single engine plane and told him he was being ridiculous that DC wasn't under attack. Then I went to the meeting and heard about the Pentagon on the radio and I'm very glad I went as one of the moms had a husband who was at the Pentagon that day and she couldn't reach anyone for information. We all spent a little while mourning together and then went home to cherish our children and keep up with the story.

BallHawk
09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I was in 2nd grade when it happened. Obviously, I was at the age where they wouldn't turn on the TV and show a bunch of 8 year-olds the worst terrorist attack in American history. They did, however, announce over the loud speaker that there had been an explosion and fire in NYC and not to worry, because we weren't in any danger. I guess they didn't want to get the kids scared and tell them what really happened.

It's strange, really, that you can remember every moment, every detail, about what happened that day. I walked in the door and saw my Mom watching the coverage on TV. To be honest, I was too young to understand the motivation behind the attacks and I was sort of amused by it. I was a kid and I saw fire and explosions, the type of thing that I guess an 8-year old would find cool. After a few days I kind of comprehended what happened, but it was vague and distorted.

At school, every September 11th, when we have to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, every kid says it with extra-feeling, even the little kids in elementary school.

Every time this day comes around it really makes you proud to live in this country, that we have the dignity and honor to remember those that fell. To see everybody come together and show their patriotism, it's special.

swede
09-11-2007, 04:17 PM
In my classroom six years ago, I waited until the end of the day to tell the children that the television and all of the adult talking would be about something very bad that had happened in New York and other places. I assured them that their families and and friends and teachers were okay but the nation was going to be very sad for a while.

One of my first graders said, "Mr. Swede, you're freaking me out."

Today, six years later, one of my students sat at his desk while the rest of his classmates and I stood for the pledge.

As a Jehova's Witness he cannot make an oath that could conceivably place any loyalty above his obedience to God.

Even on this day the children and I support his right to believe differently.

And that, in a first grade nutshell, is one of the reasons that this a great country worth defending.

oregonpackfan
09-11-2007, 04:53 PM
That morning I had gone to do some an interval running workout at the high school track. The initial news on the car radio before my workout said "A small plane had crashed into the WTC."

My first impulse was that some incompetant pilot had lost his way and crashed into the building.

After the workout, the radio said, "The black smoke is getting pretty heavy from the building. We are now told it was a commercial jet that crashed into the building."

I had finished my shower at home and came out to watch a second plane crash into the other tower. After the incredible shock, it was then that I realized the first impact was no accident.

In disbelief, I looked at my wife and oldest daughter, and stated, "We are watching history being made--just like Pearl Harbor!"

After I arrived at school, the Principal called an emergency meeting of all the teachers to prepare ourselves how to handle the day with our students(K-5th grade). We agreed to try to assure them that a terrible thing has happened to our country. At the same time, we wanted to point out that the sites of the plane crashes were far away.

We also agreed it was essential to keep the students actively engaged in their lessons and daily routines.

The main emphasis we wished to stess was "You are safe here at his school. No one will attack or harm you here."

To start the day, I had a circle meeting with my third graders. We discussed the incidents with them. Pulling down the American map, I showed them where NYC is located, of course, reminded them where Oregon was located.(At that point, we did not know about the crashes at the Pentagon and mid-Pennsylvania).

After about 20 minutes of discussion and again assuring them they were safe, we set about our daily lessons. Overall, the children had an educatinally productive day. Few of the children asked any questions about the crashes during the school day.

For me and the other teachers, however, it was very difficult to stay focused on the lessons. During lunch and recess breaks, we hurried to the staff room to watch the coverage on TV.

That was indeed a day I will ALWAYS remember. It is unlikely those memories will ever fade.

OPF

Partial
09-13-2007, 09:59 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/282415/Awesome-Military-photos-of-the-Twin-Towers

That is very sad to look back at it.

The pictures with the people jumping out of the windows makes me physically sick. Whether its right or wrong, I want revenge.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Unbelievable photos.

GBRulz
09-13-2007, 10:53 PM

The pictures with the people jumping out of the windows makes me physically sick. Whether its right or wrong, I want revenge.

Wow, I have never seen alot of those pictures. Unbelievable.

There were two things that bothered me more than anything else that day. One, seeing the people jumping out of windows. #2 was that Palestinians dancing around and celebrating in the street after they heard what happened. Namely, that one woman with the glasses.... God, i wanted to kick her effing ass.

MJZiggy
09-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I will never forget her.

GBRulz
09-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I will never forget her.

I think of her and then think of the people protesting going to war (Afganistan, not Iraq) and it just makes me angry.

BF4MVP
09-14-2007, 12:19 AM
I was a freshman in high school. I was in Theology, my first class of the day, when I heard about it..The principal said, "there have been a series of terrorist attacks on the United States."

Two days ago, MSNBC replayed the media coverage from the day it happened...Katie Couric, Tom Brokaw, Jim Miklashevski, Matt Lauer...I honestly felt like it was that day all over again..

I remember the footage of the palestinians dancing..It STILL pisses me off..

I haven't looked at the photos that partial linked, I'm sure they're incredible..But I remember a pic from a magazine a couple days after it happened..I think it was TIME..It showed the people looking down out the window, deciding which was a better way to die...Jumping, or dying in the fire..

The anniversary of 9/11 always hits me hard..One of the toughest days of the year for me...

GrnBay007
09-14-2007, 12:42 AM
This song brought tears to the eyes.

ALAN JACKSON

"Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)"

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
Out in the yard with your wife and children
Working on some stage in LA
Did you stand there in shock at the site of
That black smoke rising against that blue sky
Did you shout out in anger
In fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry

Did you weep for the children
Who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below

Did you burst out in pride
For the red white and blue
The heroes who died just doing what they do
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself to what really matters

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love

Teaching a class full of innocent children
Driving down some cold interstate
Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her
Did you dust off that bible at home
Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Speak with some stranger on the street
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Go out and buy you a gun
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some stranger
Stand in line and give your own blood
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love

And the greatest is love

And the greatest is love

The greatest is love
The greatest is love

mmmdk
09-14-2007, 09:33 AM
How can I ever forget.

New York
Washington
Pennsylvania

Bali

Madrid

London

Plus numerous other acts of terror worldwide.

Just ask Spain, England & the rest of Europe/world about the history of terror and bombings. US is not alone on this; don't you get news from outside of the Bush controlled media?

A big terror network was arrested & disbanded here in Denmark not 2 weeks ago. The bombs were ready; the plans were in the making - an act of terror was avoided. It's real.

US National guard, Danish troops, English troops getting blown up in Iraq; the US National Guard is not geared to be in Iraq - you need skilled soldiers. It's a slaughter.

Gotta be stern versus threats like terror but never succumb to their nature or you become them.

mmmdk
09-14-2007, 09:47 AM

You are entitled to your sovereign opinion & your emotionally, not rationally, reaction which will results in your need for revenge.

I hate to say it but people with reasoning won't listen to you...or guys like Bin Laden. Only people living in fear or fanatics will listen to the drums of revenge. For all I care; you can sail your own sinking ship of vengeance and make some room for the "angry gods".

Gotta be stern versus threats like terror but never succumb to their nature or you become them. Lastly, adversity doesn't build character. It reveals character as Lombardi once said...character revealed.

Partial
09-14-2007, 09:57 AM

You are entitled to your sovereign opinion & your emotionally, not rationally, reaction which will results in your need for revenge.

I hate to say it but people with reasoning won't listen to you...or guys like Bin Laden. Only people living in fear or fanatics will listen to the drums of revenge. For all I care; you can sail your own sinking ship of vengeance and make some room for the "angry gods".

Gotta be stern versus threats like terror but never succumb to their nature or you become them. Lastly, adversity doesn't build character. It reveals character as Lombardi once said...character revealed.

That's a load of BS. I am not a bad person or am in the wrong for still wanting those who killed 5k+ americans, crippled our economy, etc to pay for what they did. These groups would do it again in a heart beat if they had the opportunity. That is a scary thought as I would much rather have a few dead terrorists and extremists than a few dead members of partial's family. That doesn't make me a bad person, that makes me a good, caring person.

Zool
09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
How can I ever forget.

New York
Washington
Pennsylvania

Bali

Madrid

London

Just ask Spain, England & the rest of Europe/world about the history of terror and bombings. US is not alone on this; don't you get news from outside of the Bush controlled media?

A big terror network was arrested & disbanded here in Denmark not 2 weeks ago. The bombs were ready; the plans were in the making - an act of terror was avoided. It's real.

US National guard, Danish troops, English troops getting blown up in Iraq; the US National Guard is not geared to be in Iraq - you need skilled soldiers. It's a slaughter.

Gotta be stern versus threats like terror but never succumb to their nature or you become them.

Of course we get outside media, but until it hits you at home, it doesnt have the same impact. We get 90% news about our own country and 10% about the outside world, and I would be willing to bet its the same in most countries.

I'm more concerned with things that happen in my backyard. Take care of your own first is a human trait not an American trait.

mmmdk
09-14-2007, 10:07 AM

That's a load of BS. I am not a bad person or am in the wrong for still wanting those who killed 5k+ americans, crippled our economy, etc to pay for what they did. These groups would do it again in a heart beat if they had the opportunity. That is a scary thought as I would much rather have a few dead terrorists and extremists than a few dead members of partial's family. That doesn't make me a bad person, that makes me a good, caring person.

No, it's not BS. And I don't think you're a bad person either. You just ride the quick fix; America, DENMARK and most of western Europe want the quick fix. Won't happen. I'm half American; born in Phoenix and I'm against any form of terror. But I don't believe in the quick fix called "revenge". That's basically it.

mmmdk
09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
How can I ever forget.

New York
Washington
Pennsylvania

Bali

Madrid

London

Of course we get outside media, but until it hits you at home, it doesnt have the same impact. We get 90% news about our own country and 10% about the outside world, and I would be willing to bet its the same in most countries.

I'm more concerned with things that happen in my backyard. Take care of your own first is a human trait not an American trait.

I think you're (almost) right about the 90% domestic vs. 10% foreign news. That goes for the big countries in Europe too (England, Spain, France & Italy) not so much Germany. In England BBC does a lot of good news work. Small countries like Holland, Denmark, Sweden etc. has to, somewhat, keep up with the world. It's more like 70% dom. 30% fereign but during the Danish presense in Iraq, well, it's been more like 50% / 50% at times. it's common that Danes have ALL the news channels from Europe - we even get some USA, Turkey and that Al Jazzera (spell?) channels these days. I don't understand a word from the Arabic channels but I do, occationally, surf them.

About the US backyard; does South America count!? If you take care of other people or even nations then you might learn something about yourself - and hence take better care of your self.

Zool
09-14-2007, 10:26 AM
How can I ever forget.

New York
Washington
Pennsylvania

Bali

Madrid

London

I think you're (almost) right about the 90% domestic vs. 10% foreign news. That goes for the big countries in Europe too (England, Spain, France & Italy) not so much Germany. In England BBC does a lot of good news work. Small countries like Holland, Denmark, Sweden etc. has to, somewhat, keep up with the world. It's more like 70% dom. 30% fereign but during the Danish presense in Iraq, well, it's been more like 50% / 50% at times. it's common that Danes have ALL the news channels from Europe - we even get some USA, Turkey and that Al Jazzera (spell?) channels these days. I don't understand a word from the Arabic channels but I do, occationally, surf them.

About the US backyard; does South America count!? If you take care of other people or even nations then you might learn something about yourself - and hence take better care of your self.

So the US should police the world? I disagree.

mmmdk
09-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Ok, gotta go - I just think some needed a nudge. I myself need a nudge - from time to time. No biggie - just opinions.

The world is changing - Asia is rising, Russia will too. Europe needs America, America needs Europe - in my book that is! The world doesn't need America to be a hotrod nation with their head under the arm. Is Europe better? I think history is a testament to that, where we are now and where we are headed; I stongly believe we have learned from our mistakes - but we still got a long ways to. A long way.

mmmdk
09-14-2007, 10:35 AM
How can I ever forget.

New York
Washington
Pennsylvania

Bali

Madrid

London

Well...that's a tough Q. No, not as of now but fighting terror is important but be more cool headed about it. Screw John Wayne!!! :lol:

Hmm...you don't have to police to help, say, some African countries. My god, the west have expoited Africa for years - give'em the opportunity to grow. Africa is a mess. Big mess.

Zool
09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
How can I ever forget.

New York
Washington
Pennsylvania

Bali

Madrid

London

Well...that's a tough Q. No, not as of now but fighting terror is important but be more cool headed about it. Screw John Wayne!!! :lol:

Hmm...you don't have to police to help, say, some African countries. My god, the west have expoited Africa for years - give'em the opportunity to grow. Africa is a mess. Big mess.

Didnt Germany try to take over once? Didnt England press their "rights" at one point in history. Let us make our mistakes plz. Its our turn. :lol:

Deputy Nutz
09-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't want to make anymore mistakes.

Revenge is nice, if you have never killed something out of pure revenge or vengeance your missing out.

mmmdk
09-14-2007, 01:19 PM
How can I ever forget.

New York
Washington
Pennsylvania

Bali

Madrid

London

Didnt Germany try to take over once? Didnt England press their "rights" at one point in history. Let us make our mistakes plz. Its our turn. :lol:

Ah, very true. I think you "get me", I couldn't possibly live without America - it is a big part of my life.

My grandfather was with the Danish resistance during WWII. He helped bomb, plant bombs on Nazi planes - he got caught during an operation and went to Neuengammen in '44. He survived. He always pointed out that America was our most important ally - Europe was divided post WWII - some pro US, some pro Soviet but most were pro America even in Eastern Europe. My family went to the US in '65 and went back to Denmark in '75. Which, somewhat, explains my Packer relation. My family lived in the US during part of the Lombardi era and the SB wins.

If you knew me better you'd know that I almost always must defend America here in Denmark or to other Europeans. I've lived (also born there) in Arizona, visited cities all over the US numerous times but the Euro criticism is from people who know zilch about America - and most often have never been to the US.

So why (now) the harsh words on the US? I know history and I know brave men helped Europe in our deepest hour of need but I think America has changed since WWII - both for better and worse. I think America, domestically, that they're in trouble with the vast amount of working poor or simply poor people. Americans are pretty aggressive these days; highly strung! Well, I've got high expectations towards America and I know I get too emotional and let my words rip. I wanna be rational - all the time...it's that American temper of mine, I guess :oops:

The good thing about America is that you can count on them - if the shit hits the fan - I just know it!

Zool
09-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Ah, very true. I think you "get me", I couldn't possibly live without America - it is a big part of my life.

My grandfather was with the Danish resistance during WWII. He helped bomb, plant bombs on Nazi planes - he got caught during an operation and went to Neuengammen in '44. He survived. He always pointed out that America was our most important ally - Europe was divided post WWII - some pro US, some pro Soviet but most were pro America even in Eastern Europe. My family went to the US in '65 and went back to Denmark in '75. Which, somewhat, explains my Packer relation. My family lived in the US during part of the Lombardi era and the SB wins.

If you knew me better you'd know that I almost always must defend America here in Denmark or to other Europeans. I've lived (also born there) in Arizona, visited cities all over the US numerous times but the Euro criticism is from people who know zilch about America - and most often have never been to the US.

So why (now) the harsh words on the US? I know history and I know brave men helped Europe in our deepest hour of need but I think America has changed since WWII - both for better and worse. I think America, domestically, that they're in trouble with the vast amount of working poor or simply poor people. Americans are pretty aggressive these days; highly strung! Well, I've got high expectations towards America and I know I get too emotional and let my words rip. I wanna be rational - all the time...it's that American temper of mine, I guess :oops:

The good thing about America is that you can count on them - if the shit hits the fan - I just know it!

Not to turn this into a WWII thread, but imagine if Japan had waited 6-8 months, or Hitler wasnt so damned stubborn about taking Stalingrad? Why not outfit the German soldier in Russia with winter gear? How many Germans just froze to death before firing a shot? Wait 6 months for the thaw, take Russia in the spring. Thats the fatal flaw with people who try to take over the world. They all get too big for their own britches.

Merlin
09-14-2007, 05:38 PM
And the really sad part is the there are people who really believe that we did this ourselves to start a war. Even THEY deserve protection but they just don't get it isn't free.

BallHawk
09-14-2007, 05:50 PM
? Why not outfit the German soldier in Russia with winter gear? How many Germans just froze to death before firing a shot? Wait 6 months for the thaw, take Russia in the spring. Thats the fatal flaw with people who try to take over the world. They all get too big for their own britches.

I can only imagine how cold it was during some of those Russian Winters. I've heard numerous stories of German soldiers lighting themselves on fire because they couldn't take the cold.

And you think Hitler would have learned from what Napolean went through, wouldn't you?

MJZiggy
09-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Not to turn this into a WWII thread, but imagine if Japan had waited 6-8 months, or Hitler wasnt so damned stubborn about taking Stalingrad? Why not outfit the German soldier in Russia with winter gear? How many Germans just froze to death before firing a shot? Wait 6 months for the thaw, take Russia in the spring. Thats the fatal flaw with people who try to take over the world. They all get too big for their own britches.

Thank God...

mmmdk
09-15-2007, 03:17 AM

Thank God...

A scary what if...