View Full Version : JENNINGS INJURY HURTS A LOT

Bretsky
09-11-2007, 12:42 AM
A delicate balance
Jennings' absence underscores how tenuous passing game has become

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 10, 2007

Green Bay - If ever there were an example of how tenuous the Green Bay Packers' wide receiver position is, it was Sunday when a game plan featuring heavy doses of Greg Jennings had to be scrapped because of his hamstring injury.
Jennings suffered the pull Wednesday in practice and after trying to work through it Thursday was finally shut down on Friday.

Put Jennings in the lineup with No. 1 receiver Donald Driver and the Packers have a much better chance of moving the ball against the Philadelphia Eagles, especially after starting cornerback Lito Sheppard left with a knee injury right before halftime and nickel cornerback Joselio Hanson exited with a concussion in the fourth quarter.

Take Jennings out and you have rookie James Jones starting alongside a less-than-100% Driver (foot) and solid but still-growing receivers Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday playing prominent roles. There simply wasn't anyone of Jennings' ability to bail out the passing game.

"If you had watched us practice, Greg was a big part of the game plan," coach Mike McCarthy said Monday. "I think Greg and Brett (Favre) are really starting to develop that connection in Year 2 that you like to see between a quarterback and a receiver. We had planned on him potentially having a big day but that's no excuse for the way we played on offense at all."

It's true that the way the Packers pass-blocked against the Eagles in their 16-13, come-from-behind victory, Favre's day might not have been any more productive with Jennings in the lineup. But then again, the Eagles wouldn't have been able to double-team Driver most the day and would have had to be a little bit worried about who they were leaving open when they blitzed.

To his credit, Favre spread the ball around the best he could. His No. 1 target was Driver, to whom he directed 13 passes. After that it was Jones (eight), tight end Bubba Franks (six), Martin and running back Brandon Jackson (five apiece), tight end Donald Lee (four) and running back DeShawn Wynn (one).

Favre wound up completing just 23 of 42 passes (54.7%) for 206 yards and no touchdowns with one interception. It clearly wasn't enough production for 42 passes attempted.

But such is the position the Packers are in after adding only one new receiver to their roster - Jones, a third-round pick - after a four-month off-season. If they lose someone as valuable as Jennings, their passing game scares no one.

"That's part of football," wide receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. "We've been through that before and guys have stepped in and done a fine job for us. There's no trepidation on our part getting James a lot of playing time. We're confident in his ability. He wants to play and contribute."

The problem is Jones is not in as advanced as Jennings was last year as a rookie, when he worked his way into the starting lineup. By Week 3 he had his first 100-yard receiving game and two touchdowns. By Week 5, he was averaging five catches for 73 yards per game.

An ankle injury in Week 6 slowed him down and he wasn't the same player the rest of the season. Over the off-season, the Packers did not seem worried about Jennings' injury past and didn't sign any veteran receivers as insurance policies.

There's a pretty good chance Jennings will be back Sunday for the New York Giants game, but if he isn't the Packers will again be put in a situation where Driver is double-teamed and Favre feels compelled to force it to him when a big play needs to be made.

What's more, Jones is pretty much limited to a certain number of positions on the field because of his inexperience in the system, narrowing some of the creativity the coaches have with their offense. As a result, Driver had to fill in for Jennings in certain plays rather than work at his normal position.

As a group, the overall performance wasn't that good Sunday.

"The route-running needs to be better," McCarthy said.

Things might have been different if Favre had connected on a third-and-2 go route in which Jones had separated from cornerback William James, but the ball was overthrown. Still, too many times, Favre locked on to Driver hoping to pull the offense out of its doldrums.

Until Jones catches up with that ball or routinely turns one of his crossing routes into big gains, the Packers are going to be an injury away from having a pop-gun passing attack. At least, that's the way it appeared on a day they faced a vulnerable Eagles secondary.

"I think we could have done better," Robinson said. "We can be a little more precise, a little more exact on things. The opponent was part of the reason for that. That was a good opponent with a tough secondary that plays well together.

"At the same time, we believe in the ability we have, whoever it is on the field. We still found a way to win and that's important. If you ask our guys, they'll say they can play better. And we will."

Bretsky
09-11-2007, 12:46 AM
This point cannot be pounded home enough. A loss to Jennings or Driver is near devastating.

I was at the game and focused on the WR's most of the game.

Phily's focus was completely on Driver; Favre managed to fit a few bullets in and Driver missed a few as well.

But besides Driver, what I really noticed was the WR's were rarely open. Martin and Holiday were covered like a blanket. James Jones broke open on the deep route late in the game but besides that he was rarely open either. Couple with the fact that our OL played like horse crap it made consistency with the offense impossilbe.

Green Bay really missed Jennings; I didn't see a WR that could function with #2 ability last week against Phily.

Packers4Glory
09-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Franks looked like shit that game too. he sure didn't help matters in the passing game.

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Hopefully Jennings makes it back this week. Whatever they do, I hope they don't force him out there and go through what happened last year. If he has to sit one more week to get back enough to play, I'm fine with it. We have a team weakened by injuries coming up. We might be able to get by with a W, even without our #2 passing threat.

Rastak
09-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Hopefully Jennings makes it back this week. Whatever they do, I hope they don't force him out there and go through what happened last year. If he has to sit one more week to get back enough to play, I'm fine with it. We have a team weakened by injuries coming up. We might be able to get by with a W, even without our #2 passing threat.

There's truth to that. Giants are pretty banged up. If there's a question, I'd sit him.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Put Jennings in the lineup with No. 1 receiver Donald Driver and the Packers have a much better chance of moving the ball against the Philadelphia Eagles,

I don't believe it. PAckers needed a credible deep ball game to loosen the defense, and Jennings ain't gonna make that difference.

Ya, they would have been better off with Jennings, obviously, but it wouldn't have changed the fundamental dynamics: 1) Favre had little time to throw down field, 2) the Packers don't have a speedster, so 3) the DBs were able to play tight.

Cheesehead Craig
09-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Franks looked like shit that game too. he sure didn't help matters in the passing game.
He was much better than last year. He almost made that circus catch.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2007, 07:25 AM
He almost made that circus catch.

Close only counts in horseshoes and grenade tossing.

god, I'm cynical this morning. Who pissed in my cornflakes?

MJZiggy
09-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Who pissed in my cornflakes?

Most likely Mad. He has it in for your cornflakes.

VanPackFan
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I actually think Jennings is capable of making defences respect the deep ball... he showed some of that last year before his injury.
But the most important facet of the passing game is the running game. If that isn't fixed then you can have Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens and Torry Holt out there and you'll only have modest success.

What Jennings return will do is have a ripple effect elsewhere in the receiving corps. As the article mentioned, Driver often seemed to have two DBs draped over him. Assuming opposing coordinators have some respect for what Jennings can do, they may have to ease up on DD and focus some attention on GJ. It also allows James Jones to run against the third defensive back more, which is more conducive to where he is in his development. He shouldn't be going up against a #2 corner at this point.

Having said all this, how many teams wouldn't struggle with their #2 out? Take Reggie Wayne away from Peyton and he'd lose something. Take Isaac Bruce out of the Rams lineup and Bulger may struggle. Take Houshmanzadeh away from Carson Palmer? Almost every team (except maybe NE) would struggle in that situation. It's not something the Packers in particular are specificially vulnerable to.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Good point. I like this new guy.
:D

Freak Out
09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
We need Jennings back and making plays in the worst way. Any relief of pressure off Driver to do it all is a big help and with JJ making an impact as well things will be just that much better. Now if only the running game would get going....

Merlin
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
After Franks early letdown with allowing the ball to be taken away from him, he pulled it together and made some very tough catches. To say he played like shit is just naive. If you compare this game to last year, Franks is a pro-bowler. If you compare this game to the rest of his career, he looks a lot tougher and more willing to take the hit trying to make the catch. As long as Franks is healthy and if he continues to play as he is, I am not worried about the TE spot. Especially with Lee almost mirroring Franks performance. The depth there is concerning, their play is not.

I think we are giving a lot of credit to Jennings when he hasn't shown us much since what? week 3 or 4 last season? Sure, his abilities are there but if he isn't on the field it doesn't matter. Someone else needs to step up.

LEWCWA
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I think our biggest problem in the deep passing game is Favre. I've been saying this for years and getting bashed for it, but it was evident again Sunday. Favre missed a wide open receiver that broke free deep. The deep ball is Favre's weekest throw always has been. You don't always have to have blazing speed to break free deep, you just need to put the ball in the receivers hands when they do!

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't think either guy was the problem. Oftentimes, when you don't have time in the pocket, you have to throw it to a spot and hope the receiver gets there. Jones checked up a bit on the route. (Who knows if he should or shouldn't have.) By that time, the ball was in the air. Easy to be off a bit on those throws. It's not like he was sitting in the pocket, the WR broke free, and he could comfortably lead the receiver.

woodbuck27
09-11-2007, 01:51 PM
With the condition the Giants 'O' is in today there is no pressure to rush Jennings.

We took a gift win Vs Philly and very well, with little ourselves on 'O could manufacture a 2-0 start.

We still need a lot of help on the OL and running game.It would be nice to see something at TE develop as well.

DREAMING in realities.

Joemailman
09-11-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't think either guy was the problem. Oftentimes, when you don't have time in the pocket, you have to throw it to a spot and hope the receiver gets there. Jones checked up a bit on the route. (Who knows if he should or shouldn't have.) By that time, the ball was in the air. Easy to be off a bit on those throws. It's not like he was sitting in the pocket, the WR broke free, and he could comfortably lead the receiver.

I agree. Jones did a little stop and go which Favre may not have been expecting. I actually think it was a good move which freed him from the DB, but probably threw the timing of the play off.

As for Jennings, I think he is more of a deep threat when healthy than people give him credit for. However, the most important thing is to get the running game going. It is very hard to throw downfield when the safeties can ugnore the run and play a deep zone. The Saints found that out Thursday Night, and they had the best passing attack in the league last year.

The Leaper
09-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Jennings is hardly a proven deep threat, nor does he have the speed to actually be one. You can't merely will yourself to be a deep threat...it is something you are either born with or you aren't.

Packnut
09-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I think our biggest problem in the deep passing game is Favre. I've been saying this for years and getting bashed for it, but it was evident again Sunday. Favre missed a wide open receiver that broke free deep. The deep ball is Favre's weekest throw always has been. You don't always have to have blazing speed to break free deep, you just need to put the ball in the receivers hands when they do!

More times than not, a stop and go route also involves a pump fake and since there was none, it's only logical to assume Jones might have made a mistake. Also when you factor in that there is zero chemistry, I don't see how Favre is at fault on this one. Did'nt seem like Favre any any problems on deep balls when we had a guy named Javon Walker here. Yeah the same Javon Walker who had 119 Sunday.

MJZiggy
09-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Traitor doesn't work here anymore and hasn't for 2 years. His team didn't play the Eagles and it doesn't matter what he did against Buffalo's potent defense.

Joemailman
09-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Nobody beats a dead horse like good ol' Packnut.

Partial
09-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Jennings is hardly a proven deep threat, nor does he have the speed to actually be one. You can't merely will yourself to be a deep threat...it is something you are either born with or you aren't.

I seem to recall a good amount of his receptions being deep balls. I would say he is quite skilled at the long bomb.

BallHawk
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Nobody beats a dead horse like good ol' Packnut.

It's not even a horse by now, it's a rotting carcass with flies buzzing around it.

:wink:

Bretsky
09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I actually think Jennings is capable of making defences respect the deep ball... he showed some of that last year before his injury.
But the most important facet of the passing game is the running game. If that isn't fixed then you can have Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens and Torry Holt out there and you'll only have modest success.

What Jennings return will do is have a ripple effect elsewhere in the receiving corps. As the article mentioned, Driver often seemed to have two DBs draped over him. Assuming opposing coordinators have some respect for what Jennings can do, they may have to ease up on DD and focus some attention on GJ. It also allows James Jones to run against the third defensive back more, which is more conducive to where he is in his development. He shouldn't be going up against a #2 corner at this point.

Having said all this, how many teams wouldn't struggle with their #2 out? Take Reggie Wayne away from Peyton and he'd lose something. Take Isaac Bruce out of the Rams lineup and Bulger may struggle. Take Houshmanzadeh away from Carson Palmer? Almost every team (except maybe NE) would struggle in that situation. It's not something the Packers in particular are specificially vulnerable to.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Bretsky
09-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Traitor doesn't work here anymore and hasn't for 2 years. His team didn't play the Eagles and it doesn't matter what he did against Buffalo's potent defense.

I have a hard time calling JW a traitor; I've be equally as critical of the Turtle for letting us fans down. The blame lies in the middle.

I still wish he were here.

Bretsky
09-11-2007, 03:59 PM

I seem to recall a good amount of his receptions being deep balls. I would say he is quite skilled at the long bomb.

What Jennings gives Green Bay is a second fluent route runner with the ability to get open against a starting caliber CB on a somewhat consistent basis.

I did not see that out of Jones, Martin, or Holiday at all.

I don't think Jennings puts a scare into anybody on the deep ball like Javon did, but I would categorize him as being a good enough route runner with enough speed to be an occasional deep threat.

More than anything, what we miss is the second guy who can get open against top level competition.

MJZiggy
09-11-2007, 04:02 PM

I have a hard time calling JW a traitor; I've be equally as critical of the Turtle for letting us fans down. The blame lies in the middle.

I still wish he were here.

He isn't. It's over. And he plays against us on October 29. I hope every pass that goes his way gets picked.

BallHawk
09-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Both VPF and Bretsky make good points. You don't need Reggie Wayne opposite Driver to be successful, just somebody competent enough that the defense has to pay attention to him.

BTW, Ruvell Martin needs to get some more looks. He has the talent to be a very solid #3/4.

Bretsky
09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Both VPF and Bretsky make good points. You don't need Reggie Wayne opposite Driver to be successful, just somebody competent enough that the defense has to pay attention to him.

BTW, Ruvell Martin needs to get some more looks. He has the talent to be a very solid #3/4.

Martin just rarely gets open; he's OK in a zone or a jump ball. But Sunday it really looked like he could not beat anybody man to man.

oregonpackfan
09-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Folks, I have to agree with LWECA on this point. Though I love Favre's improvisation, toughness, and competive spirit, his accuracy on long passes has always been substandard. On his long passes, he relies on the receiver adjusting his route and going up to bring the pass down. Rarely does he hit a receiver stride-for-stride on a long pass.

KYPack
09-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Martin just rarely gets open; he's OK in a zone or a jump ball. But Sunday it really looked like he could not beat anybody man to man.

He's not much of a route runner. He doesn't have much shake & the DB's stay right with him. Jennings is a good playmaker and gets good separation on all his routes.

We need him back bad.

Those hamstrings stay with ya a looong time. I would almost keep him out until the bye week. If you don't, that baby will linger all year.

Fritz
09-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Who pissed in my cornflakes?

Most likely Mad. He has it in for your cornflakes.

It probably was Mad. But here's the thing: what if Mad pissed and missed, splashing next to your bowl of cornflakes? Clearly, some of the "splash" from the impact would get into your cornflakes - a little spray, let's say.

Now, would "close" count in this case?

MJZiggy
09-11-2007, 06:15 PM
It would simply mean I was skipping breakfast that day.

Fritz
09-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Zigs, this is a philosophical question for the Blue Dog. Your answer is most practical, however.

Willard
09-11-2007, 06:29 PM
If I recall, Koren Robinson was more of a deep threat than our current roster of WRs. The question remains whether TT still is interested once the KRob suspension is lifted. It is also questionable whether KRob can still get it done after this much time off. His comeback could be uglier than Britney Spears at the Video Music Awards! Still, given the lack of deep speed on our roster (not to mention uncertainty in our return game with Blackmon's broken mitt) I think the Pack should definitely bring him in and try him out. Not a whole lot to lose for a player who was considered the #1 WR in MN about 13 months ago (yeah, I know...not saying a lot).

mraynrand
09-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Part of Favre missing on Jones may be that he threw the ball for a 'faster guy' Also, he threw the ball as Jones was making his stutter-step, so all those are factors as well. As far as Favre throwing the deep ball well - well, not that many QBs - even great QBs do, but that is probably the weakest part of Favre's game (other than judgment). Still, his deep ball to R. Martin was right on his hands (the one that was knocked out, not the shortish one that resulted from Favre not being able to step up due to pressure); his deep middle passes to Driver and Lee were tight on the money. Also, his pass to Franks was right on his hands (Franks ran a bad rcurving route in stead of a sharp cut - but still Favre put it there). So overall Favre's accuracy is just fine.

Maybe Jennings will help with better routes - he doesn't have blazing speed so we'll just have to see.

HarveyWallbangers
09-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Q: Mark of New Berlin - I know there will be a ton of questions about the O-line and RB's but let's head in a different direction. Does Greg Jennings have the potential to be a top wide receiver? If so isn't his disappearance since the first half the season last year an area for concern. He seems like a top notch individual, I hope we get to see him reach his potential.

A: Bob McGinn - Mark: Wish I knew. Jennings had a very quiet camp. Just didn't do much playing X in three WR sets. Or he didn't have chances to do much. Now he's hurt again. His injury certainly was legit last year. All I can tell is during the offseason two opposing DB coaches told me they thought Jennings was going to be a hell of a player. We shall see.

LL2
09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
It sure would help to have Jennings against the Chargers. We are going to need all the weapons we can get.

Scott Campbell
09-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Did'nt seem like Favre any any problems on deep balls when we had a guy named Javon Walker here. Yeah the same Javon Walker who had 119 Sunday.

Yeah, but as it turned out neither of our corners got shot sitting next to him in a limo. I'll bet Harris and Woodson are glad he's gone. The dude is bad luck.