PDA

View Full Version : Defense/Offense

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Just interested in knowing if people would have felt better after this game if the final score would have been Green Bay 37, Philadelphia 34? In 2002, that was the final score in the opener against Atlanta.

Patler
09-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Just interested in knowing if people would have felt better after this game if the final score would have been Green Bay 37, Philadelphia 34? In 2002, that was the final score in the opener against Atlanta.

Very good question. I believe most fans are uncomfortable with a weak offense, regardless how strong their defense is. They are more comfortable with a team that can score, even when the defense is weak. The Packers under Sherman, for the most part, fit the second description, yet average fans were comfortable with those teams. Strong offenses are more entertaining for average fans.

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 06:42 AM
I like defense better, but I agree that the average fan is all offense and gets bored with watching defensive football. I was excited about how the defense played, but with the time of possession in favor of Philly like 19 to 11 at the half, I was scared shitless. The offense had one dirve that they held onto the ball and the defense played better in the 2nd half.

I feel better about this than 34 - 37 but not much better because we are going to need an average offense if we are going to be a playoff threat and the offense we had was horrible.

Rastak
09-11-2007, 06:49 AM
I like defense better too but really a balance is usually needed. When you play great defense and can't score much, one funny bounce of the ball can screw you. You don't need a top offense, just something to get some points when you need them in case something unexpected happens during a game. I would say I don't mind having a stronger defense than offense. I think that's usually the way to go.

Packnut
09-11-2007, 07:48 AM
I don't think the amount of points scored has anything to do with it, but rather how impotent the offense was. Then again, some of us saw this coming and unfortunately were right. I also believe that a few of the Players that could have been wearing G&G having huge days amplify's the problems we have on offense.

Hopefully, Morency comes back and takes over at RB which at least should help in protecting Favre and Jennings returns which should help the pass game a bit. On the bright side, the offense can't get any worse.....

The Leaper
09-11-2007, 08:05 AM
I agree with PN. It wasn't that our offense scored little...it was that our offense produced next to nothing. Seven points came exclusively from special teams. Six points came off turnovers deep in Philly territory where the Packer offense did not record a first down. In reality, our offense was responsible for only three points.

Our OL was pathetic and we have no playmakers in the passing game without Jennings and with Driver at less than 100%. That is of great concern regardless of the score of the game.

4and12to12and4
09-11-2007, 08:23 AM
One thing that is getting lost in translation here is a very simple fact that all football fans know. And, of course, there ARE exceptions to this rule, however, USUALLY, defense comes around before offense in a season for most teams because of the precise timing and schematics of an offense and how it takes time to go from even a preseason game to the regular season to really understand the speed of the game.

Look at the Colts and Saints. Everybody has written how the Colts DOMINATED that game. I chuckled Friday morning when I read my FIRST article about the complete dominance, because I had watched the game into halftime, and was under the weather and went to bed. Neither team, at that point, had done ANYTHING to establish "dominance". Both defenses were completely in control of the game, except the one long pass to Harrison in the end zone. This, by the way, is the "exception" I was talking about. How many years have they played together? I'd hope they would have their timing down by now.

I was glad it turned into the game it did. I don't think many here realize how big a win this was. Philly is one of the best teams in the NFL. I didn't say NFC, I said NFL. There are only, in my estimation, a few teams in the NFC that are even close the the Chargers and Colts. The Bears, the Cowboys, and the Eagles. IMO. Maybe throw Seattle and a darkhorse like the Saints or Rams or Packers in there.

See, did that last statement naming the Packers even sound right? Comparing them to the Colts and Chargers? Well, guess what? We just beat a team that has the potential to knock off those big boys from the AFC. Maybe we got lucky playing them in the 1st game before they realized how damn good they are. If they stay healthy, and we get to the playoffs somehow, we will probably see them again. Unless Dallas goes nuts like I think their gonna, and runs off with the division.

But, to wonder whether this was the "type" of win we would like is insane. We beat a superior, VETERAN team, whose defense is BETTER than the Bears and close to the Chargers. With a rookie backfield, and rookie wideout and a rookie kicker!! Get on your knees and thank Allah for the miracle. Ingest this one, and hope that our young guys on offense can steadily improve against weaker defenses throughout the season, so that by the end of the year, maybe WE can be a force to be reckoned with. Until then ...

mmmdk
09-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Defense wins championships; that's the cliché and there's no if or but about that fact. Even the mighty 49ers with Montana/Young had an awesome defense and we all know about Packers SB wins. For that matter; take a look at the Colts D last year...they were horrible until they stepped up and played a HUGE part in the playoffs and eventually the SB win. Defense wins.

Defense is not boring in my book; it defines your team. It boring to watch Packers O go 3 and out or 3rd and long which turn into wild gambles resulting in turnovers. The current Packer offense is on a steep lurning curve and the running game is really suspect but it's still early. The OL, I hope, had an off day. The Receiver were not agressive enough (at times) and Favre was, very much so, up and down. This offense will play better as the season goes forth; but it's gotta be sooner than later or our defense will wear down or catch the injury bug - that brings us back to the suspect running game. If the run game becomes respectable, at least, then a 9-7 wild card season could be on the horrison. That's how much hope the Packers D game me from the Philly game...and ST too. So defense rules! Let's roll Packers.

Beating the Giants is paramount as Chargers, at Vikings (always tough) and Bears on MNF are next.

It really could be a good season but there are still many questions.

wist43
09-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Defense, defense, and more defense...

That said, the offense was so woeful that were it not for the two muffs, the Packers stand absolutely no chance of winning that game.

You can't win consistantly with an offense like that... never mind how pedestrian the Packers are at the skill positions, that OL absolutely stunk.

Everyone is happy with the win, but unless MM and Philbin are able to straighten out that mess of an offense, and at least get some production out of it, it's going to be a very long season.

VanPackFan
09-11-2007, 10:44 AM
All I can remember from recent years is Farve and company marching down the field to score the go-ahead touchdown/field goal.
Then the television cameras registered the frustration on Farve's face as the opponent marched right back down the field to score their own go-ahead touchdown/field goal.
I haven't felt truly comfortable with the Packers defence since the Super Bowl era, and I found it VERY refreshng to watch a game where Philly got the ball in Green Bay territory with less than four minutes remaining in a tie game and went BACKWARDS.

On the flipside, I recognize the offence is weak... but as I watched Sunday's game in the final minutes I had this thought...
This is what you always want Brett. You want the ball in your hands with a chance to win the game. This is what the defence now provides. They keep the game within reach, and they require Brett to put together just one or two crucial drives, as opposed to being forced to put together five touchdowns and three field goals to win.

So in summary... go defence. Offence will improve in time.

BallHawk
09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Looks like Woody's got some competition for #1 Canadian Rat. :wink: :D

All of your posts have brought up very good points, Van. It's good to have you here. :D

Joemailman
09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
It is great to finally have a defense that can keep us in a game in which the offense struggles. With Jennings and Morency closer to being ready, everything, and I mean everything hinges on the play of the OL. With respectable play from our offense, our defense makes us a playoff team.

KYPack
09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah Van, welcome aboard.

We know you are a Canuck, you spell "offense" & "defense" funny.

Joemailman
09-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Bet he talks funny too, eh?

Badgepack
09-11-2007, 04:51 PM
When the offense is stagnant, as it was all day Sunday, M3 should try a controlled hurry up offense, which Favre excels at, to try and get something going.

BallHawk
09-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah Van, welcome aboard.

We know you are a Canuck, you spell "offense" & "defense" funny.

It's what, at least in the UK, is called the "Queen's English." That's the "correct" spelling. America just likes to take things and be different. :D

superfan
09-11-2007, 06:22 PM
With this team, I would have been more concerned with a high score. I expect the offense to struggle but have at least a couple good/breakout games. Considering the expectations for the defense, giving up 34 points would have been a huge letdown.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2007, 07:57 PM
This year's situation is far superior to last year's. A stronger defense means less points by the opposition. Theoretically this should take some "pressure to score in a hurry" off our offense. Theoretically a strong defense should allow the Packers to play a field position ball game. Good special teams also encourages this.

This means Favre shouldn't feel like he must engineer a score on every series. It also means that McCarthy can call the game more conservatively, i.e., work the ball downfield angling for field position with runs and dinks and dunks, rather than two or three deep throws every series.

I didn't get to see the game, but examining the play-by-play stats at NFL.com I get the sense that McCarthy's play calling (except for a sustained, short drive or two) isn't in the field position mode yet. He's got to call more quick, short, high percentage, ball control-type passes and, yes, call more running plays at the start of the game -- even if it means just pounding it in there for a yard or two consistently. In my opinion, he's got to better setup the downfield plays in this way.

Noodle
09-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Like everyone else, I'm hoping this was an unusually ineffective day at the office for the O. I also favor strong D, ok to above average O. But the one thing we'll absolutely need is the ability to get a late drive for a FG. We failed miserably at that.

In the 4th quarter, when all we need was a FG to win, the D was huge and gave the O plenty of chances to drive 55 yards or less and take the 3 and a W. Here are the 5 4th quarter drives:

12:23 1:52 GB 18 3 1 Punt
07:36 1:02 GB 20 3 9 Punt
05:08 0:50 GB 49 3 -11 Fumble
02:32 1:33 GB 22 5 18 Punt
00:59 0:57 PHI 31 4 6 Field Goal

Except for the game winner (thank you Special Teams), the record of failure is down-right bumming. I'm not looking for TDs every drive, just FGs every once and a while, fer cripes sake.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Luckily, Philly did nothing in the 4th quarter. They even got the ball at Green Bay's 38 on one drive.

Iron Mike
09-11-2007, 09:39 PM
It's what, at least in the UK, is called the "Queen's English." That's the "correct" spelling. America just likes to take things and be different. :D

I thought that the "Queen's English" was somebody from Red Wing saying "Ya, how 'bout dem Vikings, dere, hey?" 8-)

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Am I the only one on this forum in utter disbelief that we even won this game? I don't give a shit if our mascot helped us. That defense we went against is about as good as any in the NFL. Of course we weren't gonna score, but, you know what? They were one of the best offenses last year, remember when they threw up 31 on us monday night last year? I am still in denial that we are 1-0. I couldn't care less how it happened.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Well we got a bit of carma after the 4th and 26 game in the playoffs.

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 09:09 PM
That's funny, cuz there were two third and twenty plus plays for the Eagles in last Sunday's game, and there was a lump in my throat. Thank god they didn't convert!!

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I was thinking the same before those plays.