PDA

View Full Version : Very sad: Everett likely paralyzed after neck injury

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2007, 06:01 AM
foxsports.com

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - The Buffalo Bills' Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and his chances of regaining a full range of body motion are very small, an orthopedic surgeon said Monday.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Dr. Andrew Cappuccino said, one day after performing a four-hour operation on the player. "I believe there will be some permanent neurological paralysis. ... A full neurological recovery was bleak, dismal."

Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury remained life-threatening, saying the player is still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Everett is currently under forced sedation and breathing through a respirator as doctors wait for the swelling to lessen. Cappuccino said it will take up to three days to determine the severity of the injury and the recovery process.

During the operation, Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated the pressure on the spinal cord. Doctors made a bone graft and inserted a plate and four screws.

Cappuccino said Everett was alert and is aware of the extent of his injuries.

"I was honest with him, and he told me, 'Do everything you can to help me,"' said Cappuccino, who works for the Bills as a consultant, specializing in spinal surgery.

Cappuccino received permission to operate from Everett's mother, Patricia Dugas, who spoke by phone from her home in Houston.

Everett was hurt in Buffalo's season opener against Denver on Sunday when he ducked his head while driving in to tackle Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second half-opening kickoff. Everett dropped face first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Replays showed the player twitching for a few seconds as he attempted to get up before falling back to the ground. Everett's eyes were open but he showed no further signs of movement during the next 15 minutes as the team's medical staff and emergency personnel placed him on a backboard and, with the player's head and body immobilized, loaded him into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

Bills team doctor John Marzo said Everett was alert from the time he was loaded onto the backboard and throughout the drive to the hospital.

"It's a tough situation to watch because he's somebody's son, brother and friend," punter Brian Moorman said Monday. "It's all you could think about during the game, after it happened, after the game and this morning. And we just want him to get better, we want him to heal."

Quarterback J.P. Losman said it was difficult to concentrate during practice.

"It seems like every couple of seconds that go by it's always popping into your head," Losman said. "Going through a walk-through, we're looking for him, wanting to hear his voice."

The Bills have Tuesday off before returning to practice to prepare to play at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Coach Dick Jauron said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell called him Sunday evening, offering the league's support.

"We honor ourselves by our work, and we honor Kevin by moving forward and working while never forgetting Kevin and never getting him out of our thoughts and prayers," Jauron said. "We're going to wait and see what the outcome is here and we're really hoping and praying for the best."

Buffalo's 2005 third-round draft pick out of Miami, Everett missed his rookie season because of a knee injury. He spent most of last year playing special teams. He was hoping to make an impact as a receiver.

His injury recalled the one to Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard who was paralyzed below the chest. He injured his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley told the AP. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

The 41-year-old Utley now lives in Washington state and is promoting a bike tour aimed at raising money in an effort to cure paralysis.

"These are big strong men competing at the highest level. You can do everything to prepare yourself - lift weights and all that," Utley said. "But is it going to happen again? Yes."

Everett's injury was not the only one sustained by the Bills.

Cornerback Jason Webster (broken forearm) and free safety Ko Simpson (broken ankle) had surgery, and Jauron said both could miss the rest of the season. Also, linebacker Coy Wire has a sprained knee and is out indefinitely.

KYPack
09-11-2007, 09:20 AM
These injuries are very often fatal. He has to hope that he can use his diaphragm, to keep his breathing functions intact. You can only stay on the respirator so long.

MTPackerfan
09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
that is really sad news. These are the kinds of injuries you just don't want to see happen. Not only ends his football career but his way of life.

Badgerinmaine
09-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I feel horrible for him and his loved ones and my prayers go out to them. An injury that high on the vertebrae is going to be very difficult to deal with.

VanPackFan
09-11-2007, 11:06 AM
With all the violent collisions taking place every weekend in this sport I am shocked that this sort of thing doesn't happen on a more frequent basis.
I've seen more than a few football physics reports that compare a running back hitting a linebacker to two cars hitting each other at high speed. Not healthy.
This didn't even happen on a violent collision though.

With the nature of the game, I see no way this sort of thing can be avoided. Improved equipment negates risk to a point, but every player runs the risk of being the next Everett every time they suit up.

Deputy Nutz
09-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Its like I said on Sunday, football is an odd game, we like to watch and players like to play themselves retarded.

This game has a lot consequences.

Merlin
09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
He is in my prayers and I only wish him the best with is recovery. If he can get out of the woods there is a good chance he won't be totally paralyzed. The Doctors did say that he had feeling all over his body. It's the fatal part right now that is worrisome. Here is for hoping for the best for him that he can lead a healthy and productive life.

KYPack
09-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Its like I said on Sunday, football is an odd game, we like to watch and players like to play themselves retarded.

I love pro football. There is no sport like it, except for World Cup Rugby.

Man, when something like this happens, you realize these guys are putting their lives on the line for our entertainment. Makes you feel a little guilty or something.

Deputy Nutz
09-11-2007, 10:09 PM

I love pro football. There is no sport like it, except for World Cup Rugby.

Man, when something like this happens, you realize these guys are putting their lives on the line for our entertainment. Makes you feel a little guilty or something.

These athletes are the biggest, fastest, and strongest on the planet, and when they hit each other going say 18-20 miles an hour they are going to hurt themselves. The spine can only take so much, and this year I have seen some of the hardest hits and collision than I ever have, the bottom line is these guys are actually training their bodies to cause more damage to their opponents and to themselves.

OS PA
09-11-2007, 10:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014742

Report: Doctor says Everett has voluntary movement of arms, legs

Kevin Everett might walk again after all.

The doctor who performed the spinal surgery on Everett told Buffalo TV station WIVB on Tuesday that Everett has voluntary movement of his arms and legs and as a result he is optimistic that Everett will walk again.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino told WIVB that Everett's sedation levels were lowered on Tuesday, allowing him to respond to verbal commands. WIVB also reported that Everett's latest MRI shows only a small amount of swelling on his spinal cord.

Dr. Barth Green, chairman of the department of neurological surgery at the University of Miami school of medicine, agrees with the prognosis.

"Based on our experience, the fact that he's moving so well, so early after such a catastrophic injury means he will walk again," Green told The Associated Press by telephone from Miami.

"It's totally spectacular, totally unexpected," Green said.

Green said he's been consulting with doctors in Buffalo since Everett sustained a life-threatening spinal cord injury Sunday after ducking his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff of the Bills' season opener.

A trainer attends to Kevin Everett after he showed no signs of consciousness following a helmet-to-helmet hit on Denver's Domenik Hixon at the start of the second half.

Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Asked whether Everett will have a chance to fully recover, Green said: "It's feasible, but it's not 100 percent predictable at this time. ... But it's feasible he could lead a normal life."

On Monday, Cappuccino said that Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and was unlikely to walk again.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Cappuccino said Monday. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Bills owner Ralph Wilson said the team has been in contact from the beginning with Green and the Miami Project, the university's neurological center that specializes in spinal cord injuries and paralysis.

Everett's agent, Brian Overstreet, also said Everett's mother, Patricia Dugas, told him the player moved his arms and legs when awakened from a deeply sedated sleep.

"I don't know if I would call it a miracle. I would call it a spectacular example of what people can do," Green said. "To me, it's like putting the first man on the moon or splitting the atom. We've shown that if the right treatment is given to people who have a catastrophic injury that they could walk away from it."

Green said the key was the quick action taken by Cappuccino to run an ice-cold saline solution through Everett's system that put the player in a hypothermic state. Doctors at the Miami Project have demonstrated in their laboratories that such action significantly decreases the damage to the spinal cord due to swelling and movement.

"We've been doing a protocol on humans and having similar experiences for many months now," Green said. "But this is the first time I'm aware of that the doctor was with the patient when he was injured and the hypothermia was started within minutes of the injury. We know the earlier it's started, the better."

Everett remains in intensive care and will be slowly taken off sedation and have his body temperature warmed over the next day, Green said. Doctors will also take the player off a respirator.

On Monday, Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury was life-threatening because he was still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated the pressure on the spinal cord. In reconstructing his spine, doctors made a bone graft and inserted a plate, held in by four screws, and also inserted two small rods, held in place by another four screws.

Doctors, however, weren't able to repair all the damage.

Bills punter Brian Moorman immediately feared the worst when Everett showed no signs of movement as he was placed on a backboard and, with his head and body immobilized, carefully loaded into an ambulance.

"It brought tears to my eyes," Moorman said after practice. He said the sight of Everett's motionless body brought back memories of Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard, who was paralyzed below the chest after injuring his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

Utley, Moorman recalled, at least was able to give what's become a famous "thumbs up" sign as he was taken off the field. Everett didn't.

"That's what I was waiting for, and that's what everybody else was waiting for," Moorman said. "And to have to walk back to the sideline and not see that made for a tough time."

Utley, who lives in Washington state, was saddened to see replays of Everett's collision.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley said. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

Cappuccino received permission to operate from Everett's mother, who spoke by phone from her home in Houston. She and other family members arrived in Buffalo on Monday. Everett was born in Port Arthur, Texas, and played high school football there.

Buffalo's 2005 third-round draft pick out of Miami, Everett missed his rookie season because of a knee injury. He spent most of last year playing special teams. He was hoping to make an impact as a receiver.

Green noted that Everett and Wilson have ties to Miami and the Miami Project -- Everett played there and Wilson is one of the project's largest donors.

"It's an amazing group of circumstances. It's a home run. It's a touchdown," Green said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Moving is always a good sign. This just proves how superhuman some of these guys are.

MadtownPacker
09-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I was watching ESPN and one of the docs involved said that a spinal surgeon just happened to be at that game and basically they froze dude so it would delay things. Some new technology they are testing at Miami U.

Bossman641
09-11-2007, 11:15 PM
My prayers go out to Everett and I wish him nothing but the best. I saw an unbelievable number today. There was a statement from some physics professor who specializes in football and he estimated that Everett's spine received 2/3 of a ton of force in the collision.

Here's hoping for good news.

Freak Out
09-11-2007, 11:49 PM
I heard the person who helped develop this treatment say he would walk out of the hospital! He said he could not say when but that he was confident that he would. Good news on a sad day.

Cheesehead Craig
09-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Glad he is doing better. I think the doctor was way too quick in his initial analysis though saying he'll be paralyzed. To go from that to a very good chance of leading a normal life in a day shows the panic button got pushed too quickly.

The Leaper
09-12-2007, 07:58 AM
I've read about the treatment that has apparently saved this guy's life and quality of life. I believe I read about it in terms of treating people who suffer major strokes...and apparently it also works for other major injuries as well. Reducing the core body temperature by 6-8 degrees basically slows down the injury's impact on the body and allows medical personnel to have more time to prevent and repair damage.

I believe preliminary studies have also discovered prolonged lowered body temperature can potentially lead to an extended lifespan. It is an area of study that is likely to gain a lot more interest after the attention this incident brought to it.

Badgerinmaine
09-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I was watching ESPN and one of the docs involved said that a spinal surgeon just happened to be at that game and basically they froze dude so it would delay things. Some new technology they are testing at Miami U.

In fact, as I heard the story, I think the Bills have that doctor on hand at all their games. I hope everybody else in the NFL does or will do the same.

mraynrand
09-12-2007, 08:52 AM
You have to be very careful, because sometimes that freezing stuff can come back to haunt you...

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/1/19/Khan1.jpg

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/9/93/225px-Khan2.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/4/4c/Khan!!!.jpg/180px-Khan!!!.jpg

mraynrand
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
If you look on the sidelines at most NFL games, you'll see the new injury/cooling devices...

http://www.trekmania.net/the_fleet/utopia/BotanyBay.jpg

They're right next to the on-field toilet tent and the new hooded NFL instant replay hoodies.

rpiotr01
09-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Hopefully in the near future they'll be able to equip ambulances with that colling solution stuff. Think of the impact that could have on car crash victims etc...

Just glad this guy is going to be able to lead a normal life, even though his football career is over.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-12-2007, 09:54 AM

I heard the same thing this morning on the radio. Very good to hear.

the_idle_threat
09-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I've read about the treatment that has apparently saved this guy's life and quality of life. I believe I read about it in terms of treating people who suffer major strokes...and apparently it also works for other major injuries as well. Reducing the core body temperature by 6-8 degrees basically slows down the injury's impact on the body and allows medical personnel to have more time to prevent and repair damage.

I believe preliminary studies have also discovered prolonged lowered body temperature can potentially lead to an extended lifespan. It is an area of study that is likely to gain a lot more interest after the attention this incident brought to it.

This technology's been around at least since the 70's.

http://www.batsonstoys.com/media/POTF2_12in_Han_Solo_and_Carbonite_Block.jpg

Freak Out
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Star Trek and Star Wars in the same thread. :)